HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arron Asham has accused Matt Cooke of biting him

Old
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Arron Asham has accused Matt Cooke of biting him

This is the Flyers' forum.

Follow the HF rules if you are to post.

Article from Chuck Gormley...

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...-cooke-bit-me/

Quote:
Flyers right wing Arron Asham has accused Penguins forward Matt Cooke of biting him during a third period scrum. Asham told a small group of reporters following the Flyers’ 2-1 loss to the Penguins that while he was pulling Cooke off teammate Scott Hartnell, Cooke bit his finger.

Here is Asham’s account:

There was a scrum, I grabbed him. There were two guys on Harts and my glove got tangled in his mouth and he bit me, so I lost it.

It’s not bad, but he’s a gutless guy. I have no respect for him at all. I lined up against him and asked him to fight and he didn’t want to. If you go and bite someone … I just have no use for him.

He does his job well. He’s an agitator. He’s garbage to me and I have no respect for him at all.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
hahaha

Ironic given the Pens poster in the GDT.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Meh, Gotta watch where you shove your fingers in those scrums nowadays. I'd say especially with guys like Cooke and Hartnell in there.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
mm6492

Hartnell and Cook should go out to eat...

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Seems like he's not complaining about the incident as much as he is the player, which is good. All we need is another he-said-she-said biting incident like the Letang/Hartnell event...

I'm not gonna pick sides, Letang deserved it for having his fingers in/near Hartnell's mouth, same goes for Asham...although its weak of Cooke to back down from a fight. Stuff happens in pile-ups, if you're gonna reach in there don't expect to come out unscathed.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Hartnell and Cook should go out to eat...
Hmm maybe they should go to Wendy's...

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Well, I guess we have to give it due course and wait until the league looks into it and/or see what Matt Cooke says.

Scott Hartnell never denied that he bit Letang, either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:56 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well, I guess we have to give it due course and wait until the league looks into it and/or see what Matt Cooke says.

Which basically means nothing is going to really materialize from this from a league standpoint anyway. I don't really see it effecting the next game between the two either, except Asham may target Cooke a bit more which may result in a fight. Just as long as he doesn't do anything stupid.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
oh sweet irony lol

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Eh, I thought he said something about how he didn't know what he was talking about...it was a scrum with facewashes, blah blah.

Doubt anything will come of this, it does explain why Asham freaked the hell out in that scrum, though.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, I thought he said something about how he didn't know what he was talking about...it was a scrum with facewashes, blah blah.

Doubt anything will come of this, it does explain why Asham freaked the hell out in that scrum, though.
I think he said something like "who knows what happens in those scrums, you can never tell," but he never outright denied it.

Don Cherry had the best rebuttal, he said "well, what's his fingers doin' in his mouth?"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Flyersfan1216

"There was a scrum, I grabbed him. There were two guys on Harts and my glove got tangled in his mouth and he bit me, so I lost it. He's a gutless guy. I have no respect for him at all. I lined up against him and asked him to fight and he didn't want to. He's a dirty player. At least a guy like Avery fights. This guy is just chicken **** and I hate him."

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:05 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, Asham definitely challenged Cooke and Cooke just skated away.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Cleary84

Obviously Ash is more pissed off that Cooke wouldn't dance after being called out.

But Ash does give him credit for doing his job well.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Dan Barr

Two biting incidents in one season? This rivalry keeps getting better and better.

I'm not a fan of spouting off to the media, but Asham's got a point. Cooke is dirty and all that. That's his job though. I imagine it's hard to keep your mouth shut with the media in your face immediately following a game like that though.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:46 PM
nTsplnk*

I should come here from now on to talk Pens v Flyers.

Way more intelligent than the main forums.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I should come here from now on to talk Pens v Flyers.

Way more intelligent than the main forums.
Yeah the main boards is usually a frenzy of unintelligent posters.

You get the trash that are too afraid to post on their own boards for their stupid comments.

Old
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
So that's why Asham started going crazy. I'm eager to hear what Cooke/the league says about this.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
So that's why Asham started going crazy. I'm eager to hear what Cooke/the league says about this.
It'll probably have the same turnout as the incident with Hartnell. Right now it's just one word against another.

Old
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
IrishSniper87

Pens fans on their board are saying,

"I hope he did it"

and

what equates to, "serves them right"

Whatever. They were enraged the first time it happened, so now it's no big deal since the roles are reversed. We SHOULD however get the photoshop thread going, that could be fun.

Hartnell and Cooke at BK with Letang and Asham on the menu? haha

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
nTsplnk*

Seriously though. Yea, I'm a penguins fan, but come on. I'm a hockey fan too. I watched the Winter Classic even though I'm not a fan of either team. I have my criticisms of Philly (I think they have a ton of talent but they play undisciplined sometimes in key situations) but I have criticisms of my own team as well (Gonch's hit on Clatterbuck, etc).

Both sides just get so worked up. It's kind of a microcosm of what goes on on the ice.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
fire bettman

I'm not surprised by any of this... at all, actually. I'm sure this game was discussed a lot in the GDT so forgive me if I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said. But this game just made me realize how useless the Pens are... really, they are just a big group of ******* who are favored wayyyyyyy too much by the league. They are a pathetic team who have diving and embelishing as a part of their system (why do you think they have the largest number of power plays in the league???)

I really wish that there was a way every other team in the league could just leave the league and start a new one that's not completely ass backwards. The NHL can then, in turn, become the PPHL (Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey League) like they've always wanted and they can just play high school hockey teams and win every game without the officials and the rest of the league serving them the game on a silver platter.

I always think about how much better the league would be right now if the pens moved and crosby, malkin and MAF were distributed fairly throughout the league.

Sorry if some of that is off topic or over the top. It's just I hate everything about this team and for good reason.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
I'm not surprised by any of this... at all, actually. I'm sure this game was discussed a lot in the GDT so forgive me if I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said. But this game just made me realize how useless the Pens are... really, they are just a big group of ******* who are favored wayyyyyyy too much by the league. They are a pathetic team who have diving and embelishing as a part of their system (why do you think they have the largest number of power plays in the league???)

I really wish that there was a way every other team in the league could just leave the league and start a new one that's not completely ass backwards. The NHL can then, in turn, become the PPHL (Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey League) like they've always wanted and they can just play high school hockey teams and win every game without the officials and the rest of the league serving them the game on a silver platter.

I always think about how much better the league would be right now if the pens moved and crosby, malkin and MAF were distributed fairly throughout the league.

Sorry if some of that is off topic or over the top. It's just I hate everything about this team and for good reason.
I think you need to watch the game again. Philadelphia had more PP opportunities, and there were plenty of calls that went against both teams. You had 9 power plays. The game was in your hands-you're a top end PP.

the bad calls are nothing more than the result of the way this rivalry played out. Both teams are going for big hits, fights, anything to get under the other team's skin. There is just too much going on, it's easy to see why the refs missed some calls, or called some weak penalties.

And when are we going to get over the "nhl favors this team." Refs make bad calls in every game, it's unfortunate, but happens.

And Philadelphia gets more PP opportunities on their home ice than any other team in the NHL.

Last edited by nTsplnk*: 01-25-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Asham!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Scoopyten

I wonder why this is being reported in mostly suburban papers and by uncredentialed bloggers. When Hartnell used Letang for a snack, it was covered like a political assassination.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote