HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk (Rumor Update: 01/02/10) Post #432

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2009, 12:20 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

vCash: 500
Ilya Kovalchuk (Rumor Update: 01/02/10) Post #432

Hello All,

I'm new to this board but have been reading many of your insightful posts for quite awhile. Anyways, forgive me if this topic has been discussed a million times already but I wanted to get everybody's thoughts on Ilya Kovalchuk.

I understand that he just recently got back in the Thrashers lineup and Atlanta currently sits in the 7th slot in the conference. However, hypothetically speaking, if Atlanta falls out of the race close to the trade deadline, and considering Ilya Kovalchuk is an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, can you foresee the Thrashers packaging him up in a deal as a rental?

I'm not sure what the Rangers would be able to package in a trade, but I imagine the likes of Roszival must be included in the deal for cap reasons and plus we have a stock load of bright young Def. that we can add as pieces in a package. I know this is a stretch, but when the Rangers were rumored to trade for Heatley, Murray was persistent on asking for Dubi as part of the main package. If we were to offer the Thrashers Dubi + (young D) + low draft pick and Roszival, do you think that package would at all attract the Thrashers? I love Dubi but a trade like that would immediately put us over the top.

Thanks!

Last edited by EmDeeZee4MVP: 01-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
ecemleafs

i think he signs with atlanta. we arent looking like being in the race for the playoffs so we wudnt be giving up players for a rental.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 50
I agree with ecmleafs on this one. It would be amazing to get Kovy on a LT contract, but he is the Thrashers. He's the face of the organization, they would be stupid to give him up.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i think he signs with atlanta. we arent looking like being in the race for the playoffs so we wudnt be giving up players for a rental.
Well, trading for him at the deadline creates a chance for us to sign him on a LT. I know its a bit of a stretch because he is the face of the organization. But we all (unfortunately) have experienced Sather overpaying for players. Perhaps, if Kovy hits the FA market, we can offer him a more attractive contract than the Thrashers.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeZee4MVP View Post
Well, a part of trading for him at the deadline creates a chance for us to sign him on a LT. I know its a bit of a stretch because he is the face of the organization. But we all (unfortunately) have experienced Sather overpaying for players. Perhaps, if Kovy hits the FA market, we can offer him a more attractive contract than the Thrashers.
As appealing as that sounds, even if we try to sign him how are we going to make cap space. We have Staal and Girardi to re-sign this year, even if we get rid of Redden and Roszival it will be a very hard thing to fit everyone under the cap.

A Gaborik and Kovalchuk line would be amazing, but I'm only against is because of how it will cripple us LT.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Atlanta will keep him and sign him to wayy too long a contract, then make him avaialble a couple years later. Seems to be the going theme around the NHL lately.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:40 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Speaking of Kovalchuk, just came across this.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/1...s-could-start/

Quote:
According to ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun, if the Thrashers and Ilya Kovalchuk don’t agree on a new contract within the next month, the team may actually look to trading the Russian superstar.
I'd most likely mark it as speculation by LeBrun, but interesting nonetheless.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I do not buy into the Atlanta re-signing Kovalchuk. Yes, he was the franchise player, yes, they want and need him to stay there...But I don't believe they get it done. I do think Kovalchuk ends up in NY.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:50 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

Music to Rangers fans ears

Seriously though, Roszival's contract after this season is not THAT bad, considering an offensive def. What if we bought out Drury's contract at the end of the season? What kind of cap hit would that be? I'll check capgeek, but I imagine that minus Roszival and a portion of Drury's salary, we can offer Kovy an attractive contract.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

IK being traded is nothing but hype to sell a 'story'. There is NO way Atlanta lets him walk, they will throw everything at him to stay.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeZee4MVP View Post
Music to Rangers fans ears

Seriously though, Roszival's contract after this season is not THAT bad, considering an offensive def. What if we bought out Drury's contract at the end of the season? What kind of cap hit would that be? I'll check capgeek, but I imagine that minus Roszival and a portion of Drury's salary, we can offer Kovy an attractive contract.
Was actually a thread on this just a couple of weeks ago. After I saw the numbers, it might just be best to wait it out.

Quote:
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667
Possible? Sure. In the long term it might not be worth it. Really depends on if we move Roszival and/or Redden.

It might make it easier to find a taker for Rosie because his actually salary goes down after this season, but it's the 5M cap hit that concerns me. I don't think any team is willing to take on that kind of hit for the type of player he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
IK being traded is nothing but hype to sell a 'story'. There is NO way Atlanta lets him walk, they will throw everything at him to stay.
Exactly why I said that it was most likely speculation. Unless Kovalchuk is juts unhappy playing there, he's going to stay. No team is stupid enough to give up a franchise player like Kovy.

Old
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
What if everything isn't enough? What if a call from Gaborik helps him....in the right direction? Not sure how likely it is for him to end up here, but it's certainly fun to speculate.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
I don't have the link, but I did hear that the Thrashers will throw Hossa money at him. Something like 9-10 years at $100 million. Source - Versus.com

But I'll believe it when I see it. We heard never ending contract negotiations with Heatley. Look how that turned out. Like BlueShirts702 pointed out, a call from a respected player around the league may change his mind.

On the other hand, he could say, no I want to be the #1 superstar on a team. In that case he can look at the Pittsburgh Penguins for an idea of what two elite players on one team can do.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

I feel like Atlanta could be an ok fit for Rozsival.

I dont want to have Kovalchuk unless we are 100% sure we can sign him long term, however. Dubinsky and 2 1sts for 20 games of Kovy isnt a deal.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:11 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 350
Attendance in Atlanta is already shot to begin with, if they lose Kovalchuk you might as well contract the team to Quebec now and get it over with.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:19 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Attendance in Atlanta is already shot to begin with, if they lose Kovalchuk you might as well contract the team to Quebec now and get it over with.
Atlanta is the worst sports town in America. Only games that sell out there are the Falcons. and that's because it's football therefore once a week.
What player would want to play there I don't know. but if I was one I wouldn't.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:22 PM
TheZherdev

i just like to point out that Minnesota offered gaborik some where close to 10million a year last season...

Old
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I believe ATL has already offered him the biggest contract in the history of the known universe.

If he was inclined to stay, he'd be signed imo

He wants to see what he's worth....its his right for being so awesome.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
benneyb

Quote:
As appealing as that sounds, even if we try to sign him how are we going to make cap space. We have Staal and Girardi to re-sign this year, even if we get rid of Redden and Roszival it will be a very hard thing to fit everyone under the cap.

A Gaborik and Kovalchuk line would be amazing, but I'm only against is because of how it will cripple us LT.
Dude, seriously, if it comes to resigning Girardi, a 4/5 Dman or getting Kovalchuk, I drive Girardi to the airport myself. Anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
msv957

Quote:

Even if the Rangers sign Kovy.. How in the world would the rangers get Kovy under the cap.... However, a Gaborik/Kovalchuck first line would be insane...

Old
12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
Dude, seriously, if it comes to resigning Girardi, a 4/5 Dman or getting Kovalchuk, I drive Girardi to the airport myself. Anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.
I agree. And I'm a huge Girardi fan. If we don't resign Girardi and Higgins, and you factor in we trade Roszival, its not unrealistic to imagine we can offer him a pretty hefty contract.

Sather worked magic by not only ridding Gomez' contract, but getting something in return. Lets see what magic he can work with Roszival/Redden/Drury.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:37 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Even if the Rangers sign Kovy.. How in the world would the rangers get Kovy under the cap.... However, a Gaborik/Kovalchuck first line would be insane...
The chance to get one of the 3/4 best players in the league in Kovy - the Rangers should do WHATEVER is necessary. Players to Hartford, trades, whatever. We've all discussed multiple scenarios where the cap space can be created. It's difficult, but certainly not impossible. The GM (God, please anyone but Sather) just has to be ruthless.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

I normally wouldn't give people picks to take our players, but if we can sign Kovalchuk, I would definitely offer a second rounder, which should be early in the round, to a team willing to take Redden and a third to a team willing to take Rosie.

With the clearing of those two salaries, plus trading away Prospal, Kotalik and Higgins before the trading deadline, we'd have $18 to spend, which is more than enough to sign Kovalchuk and others.

Sanger or Heineken would replace one of the vets for $1. Another vet could be replaced for $3 for a second pairing defenseman. That leaves us with $14 million to sign Kovalchuk and re-sign others.

Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Grachev - Anisimov - Lisin/Parenteau
Brash - Boyle - Wiese/Byers

Old
12-13-2009, 01:50 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
I agree with you, the point that I'm trying to make is that we have plenty people to re-sign, throwing money at Kovalchuk may not be the best thing for this organization in the long run.

Let's be hypothetical here. Considering we move both Redden and Roszival (Drury has a full NMC clause ,and I doubt he waives it). That means that we have about 11.5M to do multiple things this coming season. Get Staal locked up, which obviously means we let Girardi walk. The rest of the money would most likely be used to sign Kovalchuk. On the open market, he is worth AT LEAST 8M per. We then free up about 4.8 mill if we let Higgins, Prospal, and Girardi walk. Leaving us with 4.8 mill to sign 2 wingers and a defensemen. Lets not forget that after that off-season we have Cally, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Gilroy and Sanguinetti the next season.

I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather have our team grow and hopefully become a contender. Sure, having a top of line of Kovy and Gaborik would be incredible, but the team around them would suck pretty bad.

Again, it's fun to speculate and dream. Is it possible Kovalchuk comes to NY? Sure. Is it the best option? No, because it will cripple us for years to come, unless we can get rid of all 3 of those terrible contracts. But Kovalchuk to NY is pretty much a pipe dream.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Just look at my previous post above. It's possible, but my gut is telling me it isn't worth it. For the people who think it's the best move, I respect that opinion. But I really believe taking his salary on will make our team have a TERRIBLE supporting cast.

Closed Thread