HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predict next years lineup

Old
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Someone

vCash: 500
If the Oilers spend another offseason chasing big name players, I might be done with the team. Year after year we come out with nothing (or with Khabibulin) rather than keeping/signing cheap, effective role players. This roster currently has so many holes in it, an expensive superstar should be the last things on our list. Dump some dead weight, try and get some bigger top 6 forwards, get some help for the PK, and try and draft a superstar. Make smart trades, or no trades at all. This should be the plan, not trying to land the biggest name they can.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Baron View Post
Penner Gagner Hemsky
Omark Brule Nilsson
Potulny Horcoff O'Sullivan
Laraque Stortini Stone
MAP/JFJ

Vish Smid
Grebs Gilbert
Chorney Peckman
Plante

Khabi/JDD

Sorry No Hall, Eberle or MPS I honestly don't think Quinn will let it happen But hey Springfield will be great
Would Hall even be allowed to be in the AHL?

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

My Prediction

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
MPS - Gagner - Brule
Stone - Potulny - OSullivan
Stortini - Cogliano - Pisani

Vis - Smid
Grebs - DFD?
Chorney - Staois

Khabi
DD

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Without dreams, what do Oilers fans have this season?
I have nothing against dreams, but they do need a bit of realism IMO. Maybe in a few years the ship gets righted and a player like Kovy considers EDM but right now they're just a team that's missed the playoffs 4 years straight with a reputation (rightly or wrongly, really doesn't matter) of being a place don't want to come to.

As for predictions, I won't list a lineup, but here a few:

- Eberle makes the team
- MPS plays another year in Europe
- Hall/Seguin is drafted and makes the team
- the goaltending situation will be in a shambles again

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
extremely slim, but you can't say there's zero chance.
stranger things have happened.

They have to make those guys understand the we have a good young team (Gagner, Grebeshkov, Smid, Eberle, Svensson, Perty, maybe Hall) and if they sign long-term with a lower cap hit, why would they just dismiss an oiler offer.
Theres a zero chance.

No in all serioussness if either Kovalchuk or Marleau end up in Edmonton or you get rid of Horcoff it will be a miracle.
Its more likely that aliens land on earth before the next hockey season.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
If the Oilers spend another offseason chasing big name players, I might be done with the team. Year after year we come out with nothing (or with Khabibulin) rather than keeping/signing cheap, effective role players. This roster currently has so many holes in it, an expensive superstar should be the last things on our list. Dump some dead weight, try and get some bigger top 6 forwards, get some help for the PK, and try and draft a superstar. Make smart trades, or no trades at all. This should be the plan, not trying to land the biggest name they can.
meh if we can dump some dead weight right now and shore up our RFAs I wouldnt mind going after a star player..

Gilbert + O'Sullivan for Biron + Sutton (both pending UFAs) + 2nd
NYI will gladly make this trade..

Moreau for ANA 5th
ANA does this if theres some leg to rumors

Staios to NJ for a pick

thats saving us a lot of $$ without really hurting the core of the team..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
You're a total amateur. The good posters can flame and find reasons to flame anywhere. For any reason.

I am trying to play nicely

when someone puts together a roster where the oilers have shipped out in one case 20 million and taken nothing back and get a pile of blue chippers in the roster--I am curious as to how this happened and well--suggest that person should march down to Tambo's office and put him in a headlock until he makes those moves

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Baron View Post
Penner Gagner Hemsky
Omark Brule Nilsson
Potulny Horcoff O'Sullivan
Laraque Stortini Stone
MAP/JFJ

Vish Smid
Grebs Gilbert
Chorney Peckman
Plante

Khabi/JDD

Sorry No Hall, Eberle or MPS I honestly don't think Quinn will let it happen But hey Springfield will be great
Our Springfield team would probably be better then the team you have posted up..
Brutal bottom 4 D and 3 4th lines up front..

Old
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
HopelessOilFan

Penner - Hall/Seguin - Hemsky
MPS/Eberle - Gagner - Brule
Potulny - Horcoff - Pisani
Stortini - Lander - JFJ

Vis - Smid
Gilbert - Grebs
Chorney - Peckham
Strudwick

Khabbi
DD/Halak

I only slot in one of MPS or eberle because i believe either MPS will stay in sweden another year, or Eberle will play in the AHL full time. I just dont think there is room for both in the top 6 at the moment, so im hoping one of the scenerios above happens.

I put in lander because from what i've been reading he looks about ready to make the jump and provides a solid 2 way game, is a great leader, and can provide some energy.
(I may be mistaking him for someone else im not completely sure...)

As much as i dont like to listen to ecklund i've really bought into the cogs for halak thing, and really hope it happens, we have no room left for cogliano, as much as i like him i dont see him sticking aound anyways when so many have passed him. Also the three headed goalie monster may return, so i kind of hope JDD goes the other way.

Horcoff is slotted into where he should be, a third line checking center, and i see that line being able to put up half decent numbers as well.

4th line is basically a defensively responsible energy line that can chip in when needed.

Finally, i have hall/seguin as #1 center because i have a very hard time believing that if we draft them they will be sent back to junior, as i dont believe either can play in the AHL.

I also believe both grebs and gilbert will find their games and make a fine second pairing.
I know they've been bad this year, but you never know what next year will bring, if its that bad im sure we can sign a ufa or something.

I have a feeling im missing a few people but this is just off the top of my head.

Oh also, i dont think omark will come over, as we cannot promise him a top 6 spot with the depth we already have, unless both mps and eberle dont play in the nhl next year.

P.s. I just assume the vets have been traded away for picks/prospects that i havent mentioned.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Gilbert + O'Sullivan for Biron + Sutton (both pending UFAs) + 2nd
Holy ****. You must think Gilbert and Sully are absolute garbage. Actually, even a landfill of garbage would probably get you more than that proposal.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
Penner - Hall/Seguin - Hemsky
MPS/Eberle - Gagner - Brule
Potulny - Horcoff - Pisani
Stortini - Lander - JFJ

Vis - Smid
Gilbert - Grebs
Chorney - Peckham
Strudwick

Khabbi
DD/Halak

I only slot in one of MPS or eberle because i believe either MPS will stay in sweden another year, or Eberle will play in the AHL full time. I just dont think there is room for both in the top 6 at the moment, so im hoping one of the scenerios above happens.

I put in lander because from what i've been reading he looks about ready to make the jump and provides a solid 2 way game, is a great leader, and can provide some energy.
(I may be mistaking him for someone else im not completely sure...)

As much as i dont like to listen to ecklund i've really bought into the cogs for halak thing, and really hope it happens, we have no room left for cogliano, as much as i like him i dont see him sticking aound anyways when so many have passed him. Also the three headed goalie monster may return, so i kind of hope JDD goes the other way.

Horcoff is slotted into where he should be, a third line checking center, and i see that line being able to put up half decent numbers as well.

4th line is basically a defensively responsible energy line that can chip in when needed.

Finally, i have hall/seguin as #1 center because i have a very hard time believing that if we draft them they will be sent back to junior, as i dont believe either can play in the AHL.

I have a feeling im missing a few people but this is just off the top of my head.

Oh also, i dont think omark will come over, as we cannot promise him a top 6 spot with the depth we already have, unless both mps and eberle dont play in the nhl next year.
what happened to Souray? O'Sullivan?
Also Lander is signed for one more season overseas so he isnt coming over til then.. Omark doesnt want a guaranteed top 6 spot.. he just wanted a 1 way contract which is fair.. no one wants a 80% pay cut just to be playing in an inferior league.
I think the oilers will offer Omark a 1yr 1 way contract IF we manage to trade away Cogs and O'Sullivan.

Old
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
what happened to Souray? O'Sullivan?
Also Lander is signed for one more season overseas so he isnt coming over til then.. Omark doesnt want a guaranteed top 6 spot.. he just wanted a 1 way contract which is fair.. no one wants a 80% pay cut just to be playing in an inferior league.
I think the oilers will offer Omark a 1yr 1 way contract IF we manage to trade away Cogs and O'Sullivan.

I didnt think this through very well before i posted lol
Completely forgot about osully, in that cause i can see him taking potulnys spot and he will stay in the AHL.

I believe souray is gone come deadline day, as well as moreau and staois.
I wasnt fully aware of the lander situation either.

I just cant see room for omark however.
The first line if we draft hall or seguin will be penner hall/seguin hemsky, Second will most likely have gags at center, and brule on one of the wings, as he's shown this year he is definitely a top 6 guy, leaving room for one of eberle, mps, or omark. Unless we were to have a 4th line of young/skilled guys that got soft minutes and the third line could be our checking/defensive/energy line.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I didnt think this through very well before i posted lol
Completely forgot about osully, in that cause i can see him taking potulnys spot and he will stay in the AHL.

I believe souray is gone come deadline day, as well as moreau and staois.
I wasnt fully aware of the lander situation either.

I just cant see room for omark however.
The first line if we draft hall or seguin will be penner hall/seguin hemsky, Second will most likely have gags at center, and brule on one of the wings, as he's shown this year he is definitely a top 6 guy, leaving room for one of eberle, mps, or omark. Unless we were to have a 4th line of young/skilled guys that got soft minutes and the third line could be our checking/defensive/energy line.
Hall isnt a centerman so if we draft him hed probably play LW with Hemsky or Eberle and then Penner might be the other LW with Gagner and Brule centering. We COULD have 3 scoring lines next year if we bring in Omark or MPS to play with Horcoff/Nilsson/Potulny/O'Sully unless we sign one or two UFAs to play that spot. 3 scoring lines worked well this year until all our guys went down, we had the most goals in the league. Defense needs the most improvement IMO

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Considering this year is pretty much done, what would you like to see next season?

Oilers 2010-2011 Projected Lineup and Salary Cap Hit
Kovalchuk - Marleau - Hemsky 5.3M + 4.3M + 4.1M
Hall - Gagner - Eberle 1M + 4M + 1M
Stone - Potulny - Brule 0.6M + 0.6M + 1M
Jaques - Pouliot - Stortini 0.6M + 0.9M + 0.7M

Defense
Visnovsky - Grebeshkov 5.6M + 3.5M
Smid - Volchenkov 1.3M + 4M
Pekham - Strudwick 0.6M + 0.8M

Goal
The Bulin Wall 3.75M
Deslauriers 1.25M

44.9 Total Salary Cap Hit!!!!!!!!

And So much room to work with.... Heck, we could keep Cogs....

GONE:
Penner 4.3
Horcoff 5.5
Cogliano RFA (3?)
Comrie UFA (1.25)
O'Sullivan 2.9
Souray 5.6
Gilbert 4

NEWCOMMERS
Kovalchuk (29 years old)
13 year contract. 8M + 8M + 8M + 8M + 7M + 7M + 6M + 6M + 4M + 4M + 1M + 1M +1M
5.3 Cap hit. (6.6 average in the first 10 years)

Marleau (32 years old)
9 year contract. 7M + 7M + 6M + 5M + 4.5M + 4.5M + 2M + 2M + 1M
4.3 cap hit (5.6 average in the first 6 years)

Volchenkov (30 years old)
6 year contract. 5M + 5M + 5M + 3M + 3M + 3M
4M cap hit

Dear Lowebellini, GET IT DONE!! If you can't, step down and someone who CAN get it done, step up to the plate!

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I'm going the slow rebuild route by tossing the kids/rookies to the wolves. Hall this year and Larsson next year.

Penner - Brule - Hemsky
Nilsson - Gagner - Omark
Cogliano - Horcoff - Pisani
MPS - Hall - Eberle
Stortini, Potulny/JFJ

Visnovsky - Smid
Souray(eventually replaced with Larsson) - Grebeshkov
Chorney - Staios
Peckham

Khabby
Halak

Old
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Seguin - Horcoff- Eberle
Jacques - Brule - O'Sullivan
Nilsson - Stone - Stortini

Visnovsky - Volchenkov
Smid- Grebeshkov
Chorney - Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

* I can't factor in trades, because I don't have the slightest clue who would be coming back *

Old
01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Seguin - Horcoff- Eberle
Jacques - Brule - O'Sullivan
Nilsson - Stone - Stortini

Visnovsky - Volchenkov
Smid- Grebeshkov
Chorney - Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

* I can't factor in trades, because I don't have the slightest clue who would be coming back *
I'd trade Grebeshkov way before Gilbert. Grebs is a pain in the ass to sign. He'll only sign 1-year deals whereas Gilbert signed for 6. Everything else seems fine except for Grebs instead of Gilbert.

01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I'd trade Grebeshkov way before Gilbert. Grebs is a pain in the ass to sign. He'll only sign 1-year deals whereas Gilbert signed for 6. Everything else seems fine except for Grebs instead of Gilbert.
The reason why I trade Gilbert, is because he can bring back the most, simply due to his contract. I know people harp on his points total, but most GMs don't look like at corsi-- whatever that system is called. They know he has talent; they know he, like most, is playing on a horrible team, which is why so many are struggling.

Old
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Eberle - Gagner - Penner
Brule - Seguin - Hemsky
MPS - Horcoff - Pisani
Jacques - Cogliano - Stortini
Potulny O'Marra

Souray Gilbert
Smid Visnovsky
Strudwick Chorney
Peckham

Khabibulin
JDD

Obviously its tough to gauge which players would be signed as UFAa and what the return would be on trades but if we went into next year with something like this and revamped Springfield with some players that can actually play the Oilers will be better off and the rebuild would be in effect.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
spot

In able to try and predict next year's roster we have to guess who will be traded/not re-signed. Cannot predict what comes back via trades.

probable goners: Moreau, Souray Cogliano, Strudwick, O'sullivan, Staios, Nilson
Probable additions: Eberle, Chorney, 1st overall pick

1st line is pretty much set. IMO

Penner Gagner Hemsky

2nd line should be able to guess 2/3

[B]Eberle Hall Brule
3rd line is a for sure IMO

Stone Horcoff Pisani

Jaques Potuluny Stortini

Visnovsky Smid
Gilbert ?
Chorney ?

Khabby
Jdd

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It seems kind of odd to me that some people have Seguin penciled in the starting line-up for next year. Despite all his skill, the kid has never even played in a WJC.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It seems kind of odd to me that some people have Seguin penciled in the starting line-up for next year. Despite all his skill, the kid has never even played in a WJC.
I'm taking the Duchene-O'Reiley approach.

Old
01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Oil Baron

Quote:
Our Springfield team would probably be better then the team you have posted up..
Brutal bottom 4 D and 3 4th lines up front..
Where's your line up? Oh Ya you didn't put one up because your more interested in bashing everyone else with one liner's trying to get as many posts as you can. Just being a **** head punk *** kid. My line up is the most realistic lineup posted on this thread if you honestly think Steve T is going to make 8 trades and drop 3/4 of the lineup your f"in nuts. The only thing I might had did was make to many moves as our team isn't going to be much different next year as it is this year. I would bet my left nut Eberle doesn't play 1/2 the year on the Oil next year. MPS will probably play one more year in the SEL and right now we have about a 15% chance of getting Hall who IMO shouldn't even be our first choice anyway. So in closing either post something constructive or get the hell off the board.

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Arpeggio

Alright, I'll take a shot at a fairly realistic one-year rebuild.

The Oilers are going to dump Moreau, Pisani, and Staios by the start of next season. That leaves what, an extra 7-8 million in cap space?

The rumours of Jagr coming here come to fruition, and the Oilers deal Tom Gilbert for a couple of younger players and some picks, but nothing of huge value. This frees them up to make some nice signings. They don't chase any of the big guns, because they've got Jagr at a decent cap hit and he's enough star power to fill the seats for a year, regardless of results, though this team will make the playoffs.

Anyway, so they sign Jagr, and they draft Taylor Hall. Boom, two top-six forwards and it's not even July 1st (or maybe it is, depending on when Jagr's agreement with his team in Russia ends). The Oilers bring in MSP and Omark from their teams in Europe.

July 1st hits and Tambellini realizes that all of a sudden he's got a potentially dangerous new group of offensive forwards. He's got some size, he's got some speed, and he's got a lot of skill. So what the Oilers really need to do now is focus on the bottom six. First signing of the off-season? Mike Grier. Big RW who checks with the best of them, even though he's maybe lost a step over the years. Then Jeff Halpern. I haven't been following him lately, but I know he at least used to win faceoffs, and he knows how to kill penalties. Then they go out and grab Matt Cooke, because Tambellini realizes that the Oilers haven't had a legitimate pest in years, and it's high time that they had one. Plus he can kill penalties too.

The Oilers then splurge on adding Anton Volchenkov to replace Staios. Now I don't know if the Senators even plan on letting the guy go, but if they don't, replace Halpern with John Madden and Volchenkov with a lesser defensive defenceman.

So here we go:

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Cogliano - Jagr
Brule - Horcoff - Grier
Cooke - Halpern - Paajarvi

Visnovsky - Smid
Grebeshkov - Volchenkov
Souray - Chorney

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Now, I obviously screwed some stuff up, didn't account for Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Jacques, Stone, etc. The lines probably wouldn't work out like that, and Paajarvi likely wouldn't play with two guys Halpern and Cooke. Plus I couldn't find room for Eberle. But I do think that something like this is definitely feasible, and in my opinion it certainly isn't a bad looking team. I do think free agents would be attracted to a team that looks like this.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Penner Gagner Hemsky
MPS Seguin Eberle
Cogliano Brule Potulny
Hartikainen Nash Stortini
Lander

Gilbert Smid
Grebs Petry