HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rebuild

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Blueshirt13

vCash: 500
The Rebuild

All of us, myself included, keep talking about who we should draft in the upcoming draft or which players we should sign in the free agent market or even who should be traded away. I think before any of this, its important for the team to get a coach. A draft pick, free agent or call up might be a great player but just completely wrong for the system the coach is implementing.

Some players fit well into the trap style of play we see across the river. Others thrive in an open ice system. Yet others may be great players but play horribly in the physical, Philly style of play.

I think the most important for the team is to sign a coach ASAP, before the draft, so the coach can help draft players that fit his system and then aim at the 1-2 UFA to fill in gaps.

Having said that, and with everyone here knowing our prospects better than me, what style of play do you think is best with the set of prospects and team we currently have?

Old
04-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

This is where i see the 'rebuild' not going anywhere. The coach will undoubtably be the guy behind the driver's seat. Will Sather be next to him on the passenger side with his walkie talkie yelling out "Make a right!" ?

Sather & Co still maintain they have a plan of what type of system they want to play, with the kind of players they think will make it work. But we've heard all this talk before, how is this time going to be any different?

Well, if they hire a coach who has his own agenda, but similar in philosophy to Sather then we may be on the right track.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Fletch

In Sather's mind...

the coach is secondary. He will find a coach that he believes best suits the group of players he puts together. For good or bad, that's just how it is.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the coach is secondary.
And that's why we are going nowhere with Sather guiding this "rebuild". To him, he is the straw that stirs the drink. The coach is just a mouthpiece for Sather himself.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
And that's why we are going nowhere with Sather guiding this "rebuild". To him, he is the straw that stirs the drink. The coach is just a mouthpiece for Sather himself.
lets make that statement after he picks the next coach.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Fletch

Fair enough, SoS...

but of course, as we sit here and pontificate about this crap, we make our guesses based on past performance. While past performance is not always truly idicative of future results, it's often a good indicator. His coaching decisions seem to leave a little bit to be desired. Trottier seemed to be supported by most in here after a couple other coaches were gone, but he somehow didn't seem too different frmo past coaches. Not just in terms of results, but in terms of style of play, system, accountability, all those buzz words we've come to know all too well in the past seven years. Let's hope Sather's sitting there, now, and saying, 'hey, my legacy's on the line here; people are saying I've lost it', and he's learned from past mistakes and makes good for the team's sake.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Larry Melnyk

Just like the trading deadline moves reversed field from Sather's earlier incompetence, so will his selction of a coach in the next few months...I'm betting even he realized how much he failed by hiring puppets and bozos like Low, Trottier, and himslef and bites the bullet and brings in a Martin, Quenville, Maurice or a Robinson....With a good, strong coach, the type of players we have now can fit into any system and they will be augmented by a deal or two tailor made for the coach....

My only dread is if there is a hiring of a strong caoch like Quenville, they may want nothing to do with a remodleing and that could signal a return to vet FA.....For that reason, I also have no problem with the hiring of a coach like McGill.....Still, I think Sather finally does right by this coaching hire...What happens afterwards will be the test....Time will tell

Old
04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
but of course, as we sit here and pontificate about this crap, we make our guesses based on past performance. While past performance is not always truly idicative of future results, it's often a good indicator. His coaching decisions seem to leave a little bit to be desired. Trottier seemed to be supported by most in here after a couple other coaches were gone, but he somehow didn't seem too different frmo past coaches. Not just in terms of results, but in terms of style of play, system, accountability, all those buzz words we've come to know all too well in the past seven years. Let's hope Sather's sitting there, now, and saying, 'hey, my legacy's on the line here; people are saying I've lost it', and he's learned from past mistakes and makes good for the team's sake.
i think i would agree with you guys if sather didn't gut the roster. i am hoping he has learned his lesson about choice of players he brings in here and choice of coaches. honestly the only choice i would be upset about sather bringing in here would be renney. if you look at the guys rumored to be candiates
mcgill, Martin, quennville Robinson and renney. the first three choices would be ideal the last choice would be awful.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i think i would agree with you guys if sather didn't gut the roster. i am hoping he has learned his lesson about choice of players he brings in here and choice of coaches. honestly the only choice i would be upset about sather bringing in here would be renney. if you look at the guys rumored to be candiates
mcgill, Martin, quennville Robinson and renney. the first three choices would be ideal the last choice would be awful.

I don't think Renney is Sather's first choice otherwise he probably would have named him by now. I also hope he doesn't 'settle' for Renney either. I think bringing in a more NHL experienced coach would be the better way to go.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Though I think McGill has done an amazing job in Hartford and knows the players better than anyone, I think we need to go with a vet that has a proven track record. The Rangers are rebuilding a team and its the NY market. I don't think the fans would settle for anything less than someone who has proven that he could win.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Fletch

You know what SoS...

Sather had little choice but to gut the roster. He had guys coming off contracts and soon-to-be UFAs/retirees on the roster, most likely done on purpose to do exactly what he did in March, but I'm not convinced. By March, he had no other choice but to do what he did. He had some of the better individual players as trading chips and got rid of them, most of whom, ex Leetch, were to become UFA at the end of the season and possibly gone for nothing (Nedved was a team option, I believe). He did what he did because he had no option - no, given what he has, it's important to see what he does with it, in terms of trades, UFA signings and draft picks.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Sather had little choice but to gut the roster. He had guys coming off contracts and soon-to-be UFAs/retirees on the roster, most likely done on purpose to do exactly what he did in March, but I'm not convinced. By March, he had no other choice but to do what he did. He had some of the better individual players as trading chips and got rid of them, most of whom, ex Leetch, were to become UFA at the end of the season and possibly gone for nothing (Nedved was a team option, I believe). He did what he did because he had no option - no, given what he has, it's important to see what he does with it, in terms of trades, UFA signings and draft picks.
I disagree with this, in part...Indeed, alot of the deals were no brainers but he didn't have to deal Leetch (which was the huge one), he didn't have to deal Nedved, he didn't have to deal DeVries...All that being said, I'm not convinced either and am indeed holding my breath about the future moves...That doesn't take away from the point that I think Sather made some very astute pick-up near the deadline and, RIGHT NOW,I like the direction the organization APPEARS to be headed...But there are miles and miles to go

Old
04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I disagree with this, in part...Indeed, alot of the deals were no brainers but he didn't have to deal Leetch (which was the huge one), he didn't have to deal Nedved, he didn't have to deal DeVries...All that being said, I'm not convinced either and am indeed holding my breath about the future moves...That doesn't take away from the point that I think Sather made some very astute pick-up near the deadline and, RIGHT NOW,I like the direction the organization APPEARS to be headed...But there are miles and miles to go
every long journey starts with the first step.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:55 PM
charliemurphy

Coach

Gotta go after Q.
I'm sure Renney will be picking his brain and speaking to him about the Rangers.
I'm not sure about Martin.
Mcgill has done a great job in Hartford and deserves consideration.
He does know the core of players that will be part of the Rangers' future.
I'm just wondering if a vet proven track record should be of serious consideration.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
Gotta go after Q.
I'm sure Renney will be picking his brain and speaking to him about the Rangers.
I'm not sure about Martin.
Mcgill has done a great job in Hartford and deserves consideration.
He does know the core of players that will be part of the Rangers' future.
I'm just wondering if a vet proven track record should be of serious consideration.

I don't like Q, it makes me nervous becaue he might make a push for St. Louis vets, a guy like Martin knows how to build a team from the bottom, something Joel Q hasn't done, we need a guy who can build a team, Martin can.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Fletch

You got me Larry...

although part of it was to do with the Neil Smith Era Cleansing, of which Leetch was a part, and unfortunately, due to injuries, Leetch wasn't that helpful to the team the last two seasons of Sather's regime, I'm guessing in his mind. And Nedved, the underperformer as he is, was probably not going to be signed at season's end, effectively becoming a UFA. deVries...that's an interesting one. I do wonder if Kaspar had stayed helathy, would he have gone too. But with the demand out there, and demand in the form of a defenseman who's young and can play Sather's type of game, it became a move that Sather made on his on volition.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
kazo

I want a young guy with passion who will stand on the bench with neck veins popping out while he screams at the refs.

That's the guy I want.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
I want a young guy with passion who will stand on the bench with neck veins popping out while he screams at the refs.

That's the guy I want.
For some reason, I just got the image of Sam Kinnison behind the Ranger bench...

Old
04-29-2004, 03:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I disagree with this, in part...Indeed, alot of the deals were no brainers but he didn't have to deal Leetch (which was the huge one), he didn't have to deal Nedved, he didn't have to deal DeVries...
There have been several media snipets that Sather dealt Leetch just to stick it to Rangers fans. And the "deal" of Nedved was a simple gift to Edmonton.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
There have been several media snipets that Sather dealt Leetch just to stick it to Rangers fans. And the "deal" of Nedved was a simple gift to Edmonton.
I don't believe either....Nedved was a floating turd in NY and a second and Helminen is fine by me...And I liked the Leetch deal, am really intrigued by both Kondraitev and Immonen...

Old
04-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
For some reason, I just got the image of Sam Kinnison behind the Ranger bench...
I got the image of John Tortorella, what a bum that guy is. Thank god we hired Low instead

Old
04-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Fletch

I too like that return for Nedved..

a second and a guy who seemed to progress at the college level. May not be future top liners, but at this point it appeared as though Nedved wasn't either.

Old
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
come on you know thats not true. there was no media snipets prove it. come up with an article. i bet you are quoting larry brooks.

Old
04-29-2004, 06:07 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo

That's the guy I want.
We had that guy, he coaches in Tamp now

Old
04-29-2004, 06:09 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues
We had that guy, he coaches in Tamp now
How did we lose him?

Closed Thread