HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has stauffer gone off the deep end

Old
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You say you want him to grow a pair? Forget it. Stauffer got that problem taken care of when he joined the Oilers org.

He's now a Stepford Wife, just like Tambo.
If the Oilers were paying me six figures I'd probably stop questioning them too.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
If the Oilers were paying me six figures I'd probably stop questioning them too.
So that absolves him from telling porkies about the current state of the union?

By that logic, the more money you make, the more lies you can tell.

Did Indulgences make a come back while I was away on vacation?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:31 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
So that absolves him from telling porkies about the current state of the union?
By that logic, the more money you make, the more lies you can tell.

Did Indulgences make a come back while I was away on vacation?
That's what the other guys on the team 1260 are there for. Stauffer can't go and bash the Oilers are call them crap. Al Strachan tried this with the leafs and look what happened to him at CBC.

Stauffer and Tencer have tight boundaries guys like Gregor, Brownlee, Matheson and others have a longer leash.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's what the other guys on the team 1260 are there for. Stauffer can't go and bash the Oilers are call them crap. Al Strachan tried this with the leafs and look what happened to him at CBC.

Stauffer and Tencer have tight boundaries guys like Gregor, Brownlee, Matheson and others have a longer leash.
I think the point that GM is trying to make is that Stauffer could ahve found some other bs to talk about that suggesting that Horcof could return to a ppg player (when he has never even been one in his career).

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:

I realize that.

But Stauffer made his bones espousing the TEAM 1260's propensity for honesty and independence, for telling it like it is, and mocking those who were full of crapola. Suddenly, he finds himself on the other side of the fence. Willingly.

Excuse me for having disdain for leopards who conveniently change their spots.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I think the point that GM is trying to make is that Stauffer could ahve found some other bs to talk about that suggesting that Horcof could return to a ppg player (when he has never even been one in his career).
I am talking about the general, but I do agree with this specific statement. Talking about Horcoff having the chance at being a PPG player would be like saying there's a chance Liam Reddox can be a PPG player.

It's a farcical statement. I don't think pre-Katz Stauffer ever says that kind of thing. Which makes me wonder if someone told him to get on the air and pump Horcoff's tires.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Close to a PPG is what he should've said and I don't think it's that far off. It is possible, probably not likely but it's not as bad as people calling him useless.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
I think Stauffer does things like this so people get talking and listening to his show. He stirs the pot to light the lines up.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Close to a PPG is what he should've said and I don't think it's that far off. It is possible, probably not likely but it's not as bad as people calling him useless.
It's possible Horcoff is an alien from Mars. Not likely, but possible.

The point is, why bother to talk about things which are highly unlikely as if they are somehow plausible?

Old
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I think Stauffer does things like this so people get talking and listening to his show. He stirs the pot to light the lines up.
I'm not listening to his show, but you go ahead and fill your boots.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
It's possible Horcoff is an alien from Mars. Not likely, but possible.

The point is, why bother to talk about things which are highly unlikely as if they are somehow plausible?
Why talk about Ryan Smyth as well? I don't really listen to his show much, so I'm not sure if this is standard for his show or what.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Why talk about Ryan Smyth as well? I don't really listen to his show much, so I'm not sure if this is standard for his show or what.
This seems like a non-sequitur. I don't understand what you mean.

Old
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
I am talking about the general, but I do agree with this specific statement. Talking about Horcoff having the chance at being a PPG player would be like saying there's a chance Liam Reddox can be a PPG player.
Not really.

There are stats geeks throughout the "oilogosphere", a number of members of this site, and even a small number of professional hockey people like MacTavish who seem to think Horcoff is a legitimate first line player.

By definition this means he is capable of a PPG (in their minds).

I agree that the proposition is absurd, but there is no doubt that a school of thought exists out there that would defend Stauffer's statement. In fact, Stauffer is probably parroting what he reads over at Lowetide.

The Oilers signed Horcoff to an absurd contract. This is evidence that they consider him a first line player as well. Reddox is signed to a 2-way, and is toiling in the minors.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
This seems like a non-sequitur. I don't understand what you mean.

The question is Why talk about Smyth and then basically suggest he may not have been that good of a guy in the dressing room and not commited--it was a lose suggestion that lasted about 10 seconds and I could not figure out why he did it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I realize he works for the oilers--but man he is stretching his credibility

"Horcoff could turn into a point a game man next year"

Horcoff has never been a point a game player--he is 31 and it is not going to start now

He had one year where he cracked 70pts--the other 8 he is at 50pts a year(give or take that is about the average)
Why are you talking about points when the original statement you are disagreeing with is about ppg?

Horcoff's last 4 seasons were 0.92 ppg, 0.64 ppg, 0.94 ppg and 0.66 ppg. Saying that he could turn into a ppg player isnt that far-off, but it would have been more realistic to say that he could return to being close to a ppg player next year.

Right now it does not seem likely with the way the team (and him specifically) are playing, but is it an absulute impossibility that he could return to the player he has been recently? We've all seen him play better than this.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
alanschu

I think that it is possible for Horcoff to return to the near PPG pace that he was at for those two seasons, but I don't think it will actually happen.

He's playing putrid this year, but I was happy with his offensive production in both 2005-2006 (especially in the playoffs), as well as in his injury shortened season. I had hoped that he'd be able to bounce back this season, but that has definitely not been the case.

I don't think Horcoff is as bad of a player as this season suggests, and certainly not as bad of a player as the fans suggest (whom are extraordinarily cynical given the current position of the team in the standings).

He is overpaid though, and he better find his game that lets him put in 60ish points and be a solid outscorer on the team to minimize the effect as much as possible.

I hope he does it, but this season has had me skeptical that he'll find that offensive production again.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I think that it is possible for Horcoff to return to the near PPG pace that he was at for those two seasons, but I don't think it will actually happen.

He's playing putrid this year, but I was happy with his offensive production in both 2005-2006 (especially in the playoffs), as well as in his injury shortened season. I had hoped that he'd be able to bounce back this season, but that has definitely not been the case.

I don't think Horcoff is as bad of a player as this season suggests, and certainly not as bad of a player as the fans suggest (whom are extraordinarily cynical given the current position of the team in the standings).

He is overpaid though, and he better find his game that lets him put in 60ish points and be a solid outscorer on the team to minimize the effect as much as possible.

I hope he does it, but this season has had me skeptical that he'll find that offensive production again.
Yup, totally agree. Then again, I (and many others) never thought he had it in him in the first place to play as well as he did a few years ago. There was a lot of crow being eaten on these boards with respect to Horcoff. But he's really giving us very little lately to hang our hopes on.

Mabye its those sticks he had made down in Mexico. Just like some Mexican food, it's great at first, but after a while it starts to disagree with you.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:52 PM
alanschu

My guess with Horcoff is that it's actually mental.

After he got his first big contract after 2005-2006 he had a very slow start to the year, and stated that he was seeing a sports psychologist and admitted he felt he was trying too hard, in part due to his contract. (Something about recognizing he needed to have a big role with the team because of that contract).

He then rebounded, but then got hurt (I think he would have gotten his 70-80 points in 2007-2008), and perhaps due to expectations he has placed upon himself, it's affecting him.

He has to overcome this though or that contract will be quite a burden.

I remember having optimism after hearing about his time in the SEL, and the only other posters I can really remember defending him a lot were the "number crunchers" like MCG, and Bryanbryoil.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
RKD

The challenge has been posed, JTS:

Quote:
MAN UP

Somebody who calls himself jumptheshark at HF Boards was taking a run at Bob Stauffer the other day, *****ing about his Oilers Lunch show on TEAM 1260 and lamenting how Stauffer has become a shill since joining the company payroll.

Another poster suggested jumptheshark step out from behind the fake name, call into the show and engage Stauffer. I liked the idea. Can't see that happening -- a lot of people would rather take their shots anonymously and swarm with their buddies on message boards -- but I wish people would do it more often.

If somebody has an issue with something I write, if you think my take is wrong or I'm just clueless, comment here by all means, but if you've got something to say, phone me at Just A Game on Wednesdays or Thursdays at 426-8326. Give your real name. Have your say. It'll be fun.
http://oilersnation.com/2010/1/15/de...ng-a-step-back

01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

All of them are almost as bad as Stauffer. ALL of our press and sports guys are lily livered when it comes to the oilers.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Why are you talking about points when the original statement you are disagreeing with is about ppg?

Horcoff's last 4 seasons were 0.92 ppg, 0.64 ppg, 0.94 ppg and 0.66 ppg. Saying that he could turn into a ppg player isnt that far-off, but it would have been more realistic to say that he could return to being close to a ppg player next year.

Right now it does not seem likely with the way the team (and him specifically) are playing, but is it an absulute impossibility that he could return to the player he has been recently? We've all seen him play better than this.
Regarding his high PPG totals in 05/06 and 07/08, IMO we should keep in mind that in 05/06, the NHL in general had higher than normal scoring rates...that year there was 49 players who ended the year with 70+ points. Last season, there was 40. The year before that, 39. In 07/08, his high PPG rate mainly came from his elevated goal totals, which were buoyed by an 18.5% shooting rate, over 5.5% higher than his career average.

It does suggest evidence that a 70+ point Horcoff isn't something to be considered as a normal rate of production for him.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I realize he works for the oilers--but man he is stretching his credibility

"Horcoff could turn into a point a game man next year"

Horcoff has never been a point a game player--he is 31 and it is not going to start now

He had one year where he cracked 70pts--the other 8 he is at 50pts a year(give or take that is about the average)

Listening to the oiler lunch sometimes i am curious if he is fed what to say and he can not actually say what he means--i would love to say he is playing the devils advocate--but when pulls blatant stat out of his butt and tries to sell the idea. Horcoff is no longer developing he is now into his prime.

Bashing Smyth? Oilers don't have any player close to having the heart of Smyth.

And "I know 3 teams that want Penner" then tell tambo the teams trade him for picks and prospects and get the oilers 4 million away from the cap and be able to spread the money around...

come on Stauffer--stop being an twit--grow a set, don't pull stats out of one of your orifices that are fault and start being honest and not a Lowe apologetic fool.

Sorry--got a problem with Stauffer and certain things he has been saying on his show and yes--i realize he is on the oiler payroll and how redundant this rant is

you're famous!

http://oilersnation.com/2010/1/15/de...ng-a-step-back

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
What the F difference does it make whether someone uses their real name or not? It means /zero, zilch, nothing.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
this could be fun

they jumped over the fact I live in London England

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old