HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brodeur and Lundqvist, Redux

Old
01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

vCash: 500
BREAKING NEWS!

Richard Brodeur comes out of retirement and has just signed a one year, one way contract with the Blues and will play on Saturday.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:20 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I think Lundquist is more of a headcase than is let on. The guy has pulled himself a couple of times in the past few years I think. Just walks off the ice after he's had enough. I'm not sure how much of a leader he really is.
Oh dear....

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
AHL bum? Give they guy credit, he's a solid goalie and had a very good game.
NYR played a very flat game. Not a whole lot of quality shots either, but yeah congrats Marty..... oh wait.... Mike.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
NYR played a very flat game. Not a whole lot of quality shots either, but yeah congrats Marty..... oh wait.... Mike.
I'm not denying that, but it's just annoying how people call him an AHL plug and stuff. He's a talented goalie. I don't mean to make the comparison, but look at a guy like Tim Thomas. Hell, look at Lundqvist, he seemed to come out of no where.

For the record, I don't think he's the next Thomas or Lundqvist, I just find it kind of ignorant to call him an AHL bum.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I was just steaming man. Brutal loss...

Hopefully he can develop into a good goalie for you guys. Getting his 1st NHL SO should inject some confidence.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
I'm not denying that, but it's just annoying how people call him an AHL plug and stuff. He's a talented goalie. I don't mean to make the comparison, but look at a guy like Tim Thomas. Hell, look at Lundqvist, he seemed to come out of no where.

For the record, I don't think he's the next Thomas or Lundqvist, I just find it kind of ignorant to call him an AHL bum.

No its not fair. AHL or not he had a SO. He faced a lot of easy shots and got the SO. Give him credit. It means he didn't make a mistake and stopped everything that was expected of him. Even the law of averages suggest, with 30+ shots, even if the majority of them come from the outside (which they did) that one will squeak by. Looked good to me but the Rangers gave him an awfully easy time in net. SO's don't get much easier than that. Props to the Senators though, they outplayed the Rangers and played a real puck possession game.

Fataldogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkoreankid23 View Post
BREAKING NEWS!

Richard Brodeur comes out of retirement and has just signed a one year, one way contract with the Blues and will play on Saturday.
Well played.

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
I was just steaming man. Brutal loss...
I hear ya, I'm the same.

Quote:
Hopefully he can develop into a good goalie for you guys. Getting his 1st NHL SO should inject some confidence.
Sure would be nice. He's got a chance now, should probably play the next couple games. Even if he doesn't turn out, nice to see a guy at his age finally debut and have a couple solid games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
No its not fair. AHL or not he had a SO. He faced a lot of easy shots and got the SO. Give him credit. It means he didn't make a mistake and stopped everything that was expected of him. Even the law of averages suggest, with 30+ shots, even if the majority of them come from the outside (which they did) that one will squeak by. Looked good to me but the Rangers gave him an awfully easy time in net. SO's don't get much easier than that. Props to the Senators though, they outplayed the Rangers and played a real puck possession game.
Agreed. It wasn't the toughest shutout ever, but a shutout is a shutout.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I feel bad for Lundqvist, it doesnt matter who you root for, that has to be frustrating, especially after the game the other night.

But no, all I do is rip on him.

Credit: RichersGhost

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Oh dear....
It is true that he's pulled himself from the net though. Is there any other goalie who does that?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
It is true that he's pulled himself from the net though. Is there any other goalie who does that?
He did it once. There should not be a misconception that this is a routine thing for him. Some posters implied that he has pulled himself multiple times which is completely false. He did so once under Renney and that's it. He probably just lost his composure, it happens.

Fataldogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:56 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
I think Lundquist is more of a headcase than is let on. The guy has pulled himself a couple of times in the past few years I think. Just walks off the ice after he's had enough. I'm not sure how much of a leader he really is.
Think a bit more before posting a stupid post with no knowledge. One time in his NHL career of 5 years has he went to the bench and asked to be pulled.

Lundqvist is now a headcase..oh jeeze...learn to spell the guys name before you try to bash him..it helps.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:59 AM
chances14

it's nice to know that the wings arent the only ones who have trouble scoring

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
EJS280

Quote:
Headcase is the completely wrong term to use. The guy hates to lose and is very passionate about the game. I have heard he has kicked his entire leg and pad through a door before. You could see a couple times during this game he shook his head and didn't even look at the play for a few seconds at one point.

I would be pissed off too. He is arguably the best goalie in the world, doesn't have the stats to show it because he plays with a bunch of overpaid scrubs, and has to do it night in and night out. Unless he gets traded or management is changed he will never win a cup in his career and you can count on that.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
He did it once. There should not be a misconception that this is a routine thing for him. Some posters implied that he has pulled himself multiple times which is completely false. He did so once under Renney and that's it. He probably just lost his composure, it happens.
Yeah he did it once against Vancouver and then another time that I can't recall. At the very least he did it once and I also remember a separate occasion but its blurry. Still thats 1 more time than most goalies in the league have done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Think a bit more before posting a stupid post with no knowledge. One time in his NHL career of 5 years has he went to the bench and asked to be pulled.

Lundqvist is now a headcase..oh jeeze...learn to spell the guys name before you try to bash him..it helps.
You can roll it anyway you want, the fact is he took himself out of a game. And it's not a big deal. Lundquist, Lundqvist whatever it is. It's all the same. No I'm just kidding. but seriously though what proffesional athlete pulls himself from a game? It's just weird imo and is a lot bigger deal than rangers fans wanted to admit at the time. JMO.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 01-15-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:24 AM
EJS280

You would pull yourself out too if you had to play for the Rangers.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:43 AM
Tumsh

Quote:
Yeah he did it once against Vancouver and then another time that I can't recall. At the very least he did it once and I also remember a separate occasion but its blurry. Still thats 1 more time than most goalies in the league have done it.

You can roll it anyway you want, the fact is he took himself out of a game. And it's not a big deal. Lundquist, Lundqvist whatever it is. It's all the same. No I'm just kidding. but seriously though what proffesional athlete pulls himself from a game? It's just weird imo and is a lot bigger deal than rangers fans wanted to admit at the time. JMO.
I actually don't think it's such a bad, or serious, thing. Not quite sure why he did it, but I'd assume he felt he wasn't playing well, and wasn't going to either.
If you're a goalie, and being goalie is quite a bit a mental task. If you're having one of those days when you just can't focus, it makes sense to pull yourself. Give your team the best chance to win.

Forsberg told his coach he didn't want to take a penalty shot once if I recall correctly. And he's a proven winner. I think that's it. Being a good player is also about knowing what and when you can't do something, and admitting to that serves your team better in many cases.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:46 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:

Wow.. what a nutcase

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:48 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

If I knew I wasn't able to perform to my ability and it might hamper my teams chances of winning I would pull myself too.

There I go again, actually defending the guy. What the hell is wrong with me.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:10 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
If I knew I wasn't able to perform to my ability and it might hamper my teams chances of winning I would pull myself too.

There I go again, actually defending the guy. What the hell is wrong with me.
As a Devilsfan you should really be ashamed

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Lundqvist needs to demand a trade.

No way a top 3 goalie needs to be this wasted. Just not fair for the guy.
Top 3 goalie? He is good, but not even close top 3, maybe top 10. And yes, I have seen many Rangers games and IMO he is overrated. Good but not THAT good.

Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:51 AM
brodeurfanatic

Huet & Kane for Drury and Lundqvist.

brodeurfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:54 AM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gilead View Post
Top 3 goalie? He is good, but not even close top 3, maybe top 10. And yes, I have seen many Rangers games and IMO he is overrated. Good but not THAT good.
LOL.

If he isn't Top 3, he is Top 5. You must have seen some bad Rangers game, because if we didn't have Lundqvist on this team, we would be doomed. He has played out of his mind lately. He has his slumps and every goaltender does, but Lundqvist is a Top 5 goaltender in the NHL and most people would agree. He is THAT good. The Rangers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL for probably the last 3 seasons, maybe even since the lockout. Lundqvist keeps us in games and thats what a great goaltender does.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Lundqvist is definitely top 5, and that's from a Flyer.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
He's a top 5.

Martin Brodeur
Luongo
Miller
Lundqvist
Mike Brodeur

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote