HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brodeur and Lundqvist, Redux

Old
01-15-2010, 06:31 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gilead View Post
Top 3 goalie? He is good, but not even close top 3, maybe top 10. And yes, I have seen many Rangers games and IMO he is overrated. Good but not THAT good.
Why lie? The option is ignorant, but I'd go with lying.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:42 AM
UNCUT

almost EVERY game recap with the rangers i read lundqvist is either 1st 2nd or 3rd star of the game. yet they always lose.

i feel sorry for lundqvist. he is such a great goalie. im wondering how long before a mental breakdown. it must be tough for a peaking goalie to play so hard every game to keep the whole team in the game by himself just to not get any help at all from his teammates. it feels like a waste..

UNCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:28 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCUT View Post
almost EVERY game recap with the rangers i read lundqvist is either 1st 2nd or 3rd star of the game. yet they always lose.

i feel sorry for lundqvist. he is such a great goalie. im wondering how long before a mental breakdown. it must be tough for a peaking goalie to play so hard every game to keep the whole team in the game by himself just to not get any help at all from his teammates. it feels like a waste..
I think the mental aspect is one of his strengths. He is extremely competitive, he will always claim he has to play better for the team to win even if he's not to blame for any goal. He is always up for the challenge.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Top 3 goalie? He is good, but not even close top 3, maybe top 10. And yes, I have seen many Rangers games and IMO he is overrated. Good but not THAT good.
Wow... finnish homers at its worst.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
AHL bum? Give they guy credit, he's a solid goalie and had a very good game.

I'm really happy he got a shutout, after reading the first four pages of the Rangers GDT. The one guy made about 3 posts to talk about how much Brodeur sucks.
I don't think most of us are trying to discredit Brodeur for being a good goalie, if you made it to even play one NHL game, you know what you're doing after all (unless you're a web designer for the Capitals). But seriously... when we face an Ottawa team that is very depleted and has the backup's backup in net because both goaltenders are out... and Rangers fans knew this crap would happen... frustration will ooze in various forms.

A shutout is a shutout, but when your team barely tests a goaltender at all, that has his 2nd career NHL game and you know you have a very good chance of winning the game if you just play at least average hockey, it's pretty standard the word "AHL bum" will fly through the air in a GDT.

The anger is directed towards the sorry excuse of a NHL team the Rangers is. You know it's bad when there is serious concern many posters are getting awkwardly worried Lundqvist might ask for a trade soon, because if the fans were him, we would've had enough by now.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

From the Elias Sports Bureau:

Brodeur is only the fourth goaltender in the NHL's "modern era" to start and win each of his first two games while allowing no more than one goal in the two games combined. The other netminders to do that were Mario Lessard (October 1978), David Aebischer (October 2000) and Al Montoya (April 2009).

The Rangers were shut out at home by Martin Brodeur on Tuesday and Mike Brodeur on Thursday. It's the first time in NHL history that a team was shut out in consecutive games by different goaltenders with the same last name.

Going back to the third period of their game in Boston on Saturday, the Rangers played 127:30 without scoring or allowing a goal. That was the longest such stretch for any NHL team since Dec. 18-23, 1999, when the Calgary Flames went 135:19 without a goal for or against.

Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Pops View Post
From the Elias Sports Bureau:

Brodeur is only the fourth goaltender in the NHL's "modern era" to start and win each of his first two games while allowing no more than one goal in the two games combined. The other netminders to do that were Mario Lessard (October 1978), David Aebischer (October 2000) and Al Montoya (April 2009).

The Rangers were shut out at home by Martin Brodeur on Tuesday and Mike Brodeur on Thursday. It's the first time in NHL history that a team was shut out in consecutive games by different goaltenders with the same last name.

Going back to the third period of their game in Boston on Saturday, the Rangers played 127:30 without scoring or allowing a goal. That was the longest such stretch for any NHL team since Dec. 18-23, 1999, when the Calgary Flames went 135:19 without a goal for or against.
It would have been back to back shutouts if it weren't for Havlat's leg. The initial shot against him was very stoppable, but it hit Havlat right in front of the net for a point blank redirection.

Still I'm not getting my hopes up with Brodeur, he can be very hot and cold. I just don't think we've seen the cold side of him yet in the NHL:

AHL: .892 sv% , 3.03 GAA
NHL: .980 sv% , 0.5 GAA

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Let me guess:
#1 Kipper
#2 Backstrom
#3 Nitty

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

LOL Finnish homer.

Lundy is easily top5 in the league. And some could make the argument at times top3.

As for being a headcase? If wearing your heart on your shoulder and playing each game passionately and being devastated if you lose is being a headcase, then damn, I wish more players could be headcases.

And if I was a goalie who couldn't focus or couldn't get on my game, I'd ask to be pulled as well to give my team a chance to win. Didn't a certain hall of fame goalie have a temper tantrum and demand to be pulled and ultimately demand to be traded when he and his team were having a bad game? Oh right, Patrick Roy.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
13th Floor

LOL, I don't even want to find the original post that flamed Henrik, but he's one of the best goalies in the league for sure.

If he could find a way to score 2 goals a game, the Rangers would be undefeated. And I'm an Islander fan...

13th Floor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Would Mike Brodeur be a hall of fame goalie if it wasn't for the Coyotes ?

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Wow... finnish homers at its worst.
Yea..looking at his posting history he is about as bad as they come. He even stated that Lundqvist was horrible last season and he was only a top 30 goalie

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Amnesia View Post
LOL, I don't even want to find the original post that flamed Henrik, but he's one of the best goalies in the league for sure.

If he could find a way to score 2 goals a game, the Rangers would be undefeated. And I'm an Islander fan...

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Tomas W

Brodeur vs Lundqvist 2-0. Lundy probably want a bit more help from his teammates next game.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post

+

=

shutout
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
I'm pretty sure this could shut us out.
Hahahahahahaha! Oh god it's so sad, but so true right now.

It's going to be a long weekend.

01-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Wow.. what a nutcase
I really don't get this. Did you just not like what I had to say?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Mach 9*

Mike Brodeur is one of those "hard to read players"

Goalies take a while to develop, but it still has no merit to why he is playing so much better in the NHL than the AHL.

If he plays well against Montreal then Boston, then I would consider him to be a possible future NHL level(back-up, maybe better) netminder.

He's great at controlling rebounds, and works hard in the crease.

One of the things that I really admire is that he doesn't let in the occasional soft goal. I know you may think that means nothing, but all the time elite goalies let in pucks that they shouldn't have, but just gets away from them.

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote