HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Clutterbuck: Gonchar better hope he retires

Old
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Iron Range Red

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post

10/8/09 - (2) Tripping
10/26/09 - (2) Boarding
11/15/09 - (2) Roughing
11/25/09 - (2) Charging, (2) Interference
12/21/09 - (2) Goalie interference
12/23/09 - (2) Roughing
12/31/09 - (2) Roughing, (2) Roughing
01/14/10 - (2) Slashing
I would contend that since playing with the Wild for the last season and half, Clutterbuck has received more diving penalties than any other Wild player in that same period.

Iron Range Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Deadbolt401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Gonchar is a 15 year veteran number one defenseman with an alternate captaincy.

Cal Clutterbuck is a 22 year old grinder with less than 150 games in the league.

He's got to be out of his mind.

Exactly.

Cal is chump change.

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
he certainly got hit back . he's naive to think that a player wouldnt land a dirty hit on him after all the hits he dishes out
Sure, it's expected. Does that make it okay? No! I'm a Wild fan and I really don't mind seeing Wild players getting hit, I DO mind them getting hit in the head, especially when its away from the play and intentional.

What is alright is if Clutterbuck did manage to receive the puck, then I would be semi-fine with it (getting hit in the head is still a big no-no).

What really should happen is if players are pissed off about Clutterbuck, they should either fight him or give him a big, big LEGAL hit. You say its naive, I say why must a player resolve to dirty hits? Use the body and hit him when he is playing the puck. Gonchar is definitely big enough guy and skilled enough to land a very good hit on Cluts, so why result for a head shot and away from the play?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
Exactly.

Cal is chump change.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying because of the experience difference, the hit was fine?

Or are you saying because of the experience difference, Cluts shouldn't be whining?

Cause if its the latter, then fine.

Old
01-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Clutterbuck vs Gonchar is the new Malkin vs Ovechkin, except nobody other than Gonchar & Clutterbuck give a ****.

Clutterbuck: "He better hope he retires at the end of the year because somebody's going to hurt him before the end of the year." Uh, Shouldn't Gonchar retire now then.

Gonchar: "I wish we played them again" I wish that too actually.

Anyway, Like they say "Boys will be Boys" Two good competitors getting carried away and saying/doing some stupid things. It's over for this year. It'd be funny if Gonchar can't work out a deal to re-sign with Pitt and ex-Pens assistant GM, Chuck Fletcher came calling wanting to bring Gonch to Minnesota as a free agent. Him & Clutterbuck could wind up playing together next season. I wonder if Cal would request a trade in that scenario.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 01-15-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Range Red View Post
I would contend that since playing with the Wild for the last season and half, Clutterbuck has received more diving penalties than any other Wild player in that same period.
04/05/09 - (2) Hi-Sticking
03/28/09 - (2) Clipping, (2) Hooking
03/25/09 - (2) Roughing
03/24/09 - (5) Fighting
03/15/09 - (4) Hi-sticking
03/12/09 - (2) Diving
03/05/09 - (2) Hi-sticking
02/27/09 - (2) Diving
02/08/09 - (2) Tripping
02/06/09 - (2) Unsportsmanlike conduct
01/31/09 - (15) Boarding, game misconduct
01/30/09 - (5) Fighting
01/27/09 - (5) Fighting
01/04/09 - (2) Roughing
12/29/09 - (2) Roughing
12/20/08 - (5) Fighting
12/14/08 - (2) Interference
12/13/08 - (2) Hi-sticking
12/11/08 - (2) Hi-sticking
11/13/08 - (2) Hooking, (5) Fighting
11/06/08 - (2) Interference

So in 1 and a half season, he has had 2 diving penalties. Oh, and no holding penalties...just thought u guys should know

Old
01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Hades

Some people in this thread are pathetic for saying Clutterbuck deserved such a nasty hit. Why, because he plays hard? So what? He's not a dirty player and all his hits are clean. He was obviously mad after the hit and his comments are understandable. If you think Clutterbuck deserved what he got, then you're a terrible human being.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Deadbolt401

Quote:
I'm a little confused. Are you saying because of the experience difference, the hit was fine?

Or are you saying because of the experience difference, Cluts shouldn't be whining?

Look, Cal is Obviously mad about Gonchar never letting him win, not once. If I were Sergei, I'd be more worried about my wife.

"Remember Sergei, Field mouse is fast! But the owl sees at night!"

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:52 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
what does he expect players are going to do?
hit him back cleanly?

its not hard

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:16 AM
take a peek

I predict crosby/malkin getting run before playoffs.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Eisen

I don't know what the big deal is. Gonchar had his retribution, Clutterbuck isn't even injured. Gonchar had his penalty and I am sure he would have gotten a suspension if Cal was injured. I don't condone hits like that but nothing happened, nothing at all.
*shrug*

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:26 AM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
being a Pens fan I will give Gonchar the benefit of doubt on this one. the hit was dirty,but if Sarge,who's by far the coolest guy on the Pens roster,thought Clutterbuck deserved it,more power to him.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Selke

This just in! Sergei Gonchar has decided to retire. Said he can no longer live in fear and check his closet every night for Cal Clutterbuck. The nightmare must end for Gonch!!!

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Selke

After watching both hits, I can't believe people are talking badly about Clutterbuck. That hit was completely uncalled for on Gonchar's part. I respect both players but are you serious? It's no wonder people are always gunning for Gonch. Clutterbuck delivers a completely clean hit and Gonch pulls that crap?

If he doesn't get suspended for that I just don't know. But then again, Gonch is quite the well...let's just say he's not exactly the toughest player in the NHL. A well respected (most of the time), yes.

I hope Clutterbuck doesn't become a dirty player now.

Old
01-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Range Red View Post
Please God tell me you're not a Pens fan accusing another player of diving. Your team has the king of divers. Sidney Crosby...Mike Ribeiro are the top two that come to my mind. Not saying Ribeiro played for Pittsburgh, but seriously...

Old
01-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:

I'm saying that as a young player, you don't say that kind of stuff about respected veterans. It will win him absolutely no favors with the league for him to explicitly target a player closing in on 1000 games.

Quote:
I respect both players but are you serious? It's no wonder people are always gunning for Gonch. Clutterbuck delivers a completely clean hit and Gonch pulls that crap?
I think that's the first time Gonchar has taken a major for a dirty hit. Are you saying Koci and the rest were gunning for Gonch pre-emptively, to punish him for a hit he would make a couple years down the road?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:58 AM
DarrenBanks56

gonchar has been one of the dirtiest players in the league for a while now. Im surprised nobody has gotten him good yet

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:24 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
gonchar has been one of the dirtiest players in the league for a while now. Im surprised nobody has gotten him good yet
This is just painfully wrong. He's hardly one of the dirtiest players though equally not one of the cleanest.

Was a dirty hit but, I love the way Clutterbuck shook it off afterwards. You can see him basically think "Guess he didn't like that hit"

Stupid hit followed by a angry comment. Happy nobody was injured.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
If he doesn't get suspended for that I just don't know.
Ironic avatar, post combination.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
stingo

vCash: 50
I understand his frustration, and that's all this is - frustration.

He'll get over it.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFever71 View Post
Stupid hit by Sarge.
Stupid comments by Clutterbuck.

That simple.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it was a great hit by Sarge. Dirty/Late/Headshot? All of the above. However, if Clutterbuck is going to run at star guys the way he does, he's going to get an elbow stuck in his ear every now and again. It's naive to think otherwise.

It's long been a part of hockey (especially in the "good ol' days") that guys who continually run star players are eventually going to find an elbow in their ear, a stick in their grill or have to fight someone. Gordie Howe had the sharpest elbows in the game, just ask Leo Labine. Bobby Clarke would elbow/punch/slash/crosscheck you until you gave him some space. Ted Lindsay regularly went head-hunting, but took his share of nasty hits himself. Guys like Pat Quinn who had the guts to cream the likes of Bobby Orr knew they'd have to defend themselves, not just on the ice, but likely from the hometown fans, too. The arena just about came apart at the seams the night he KO'd Orr.

But, it used to be that guys would bide their time, wait until the game was out of reach, and then clock the guy and serve their minutes. Don Cherry glosses over this fact in his sentimentality for the old days, but when he was playing in Rochester and for the Barrie Flyers, etc. he was as likely to be involved in that kind of thing as anyone else.

Clutterbuck shouldn't be threatening people openly. And I bet you the next time he runs Gonchar, he's going to be careful about how he does it lest Sarge put an elbow in his other ear.

This wouldn't be a big deal if Clutterbuck weren't being a crybaby. Take your licks, take a number, and move on.

Last edited by Courage*: 01-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Clutterbuck throws hits like that at least once every couple of games while hiding behind his visor.

Just a whining hypocrite is all.
That long hair of yours sure don't cover your redneck.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
This is comedy...

Old
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
oneydcat*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbvx702cTGk

maybe clutterbuck should get in touch with mr. ovechkin

oneydcat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Courage*

Quote:
What really should happen is if players are pissed off about Clutterbuck, they should either fight him or give him a big, big LEGAL hit. You say its naive, I say why must a player resolve to dirty hits? Use the body and hit him when he is playing the puck. Gonchar is definitely big enough guy and skilled enough to land a very good hit on Cluts, so why result for a head shot and away from the play?
To send the message, "I'm irrational and don't care about hurting you or penalty minutes. Run me and I'll hurt you." Judging by Clutterbuck's whining, the message got through loud and clear. It really got to him.