HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Clutterbuck: Gonchar better hope he retires

Old
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Kannu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Good job Doc.

Kannu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

I am not pens fan by any means, but I’ll say this: after 15 years in the league does anyone seriously think Gonchar gives 2 ***** about Clutterbucks threats? Right…

Last edited by Vladiator16: 01-15-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies

i'm no Pens fan, far from it; but isn't Clutterbuck a cheapshotting puke who has his helmet/visor firmly in place the couple-few times he's nutted up to 'avenge' himself?

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
It's no wonder people are always gunning for Gonch.

Yeah, people are gunning for Gonch by the dozens, if not more. Uh-huh.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Jaded-Fan

Well Clutterbuck just assured that he could not even breath on Gonchar whenever they play in the future or this quote will come back to bite him.

As for the rest of the league's players, I doubt any are itching to 'avenge' the great Clutterbuck so the threat is pretty meaningless.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Abraham85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberRoger View Post
i'm no Pens fan, far from it; but isn't Clutterbuck a cheapshotting puke who has his helmet/visor firmly in place the couple-few times he's nutted up to 'avenge' himself?
You might not be a Penguins fan and it doesn't sound like you watch a lot of hockey in any case. He has a grand total of 20 PIM in 41 matches this season, even Gonchar has more PIM than that.

I find it weird that Gonchar is the player with a clear attempt to injure, yet Clutterbuck is the player that gets recognized as the dirty one of the two.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
You might not be a Penguins fan and it doesn't sound like you watch a lot of hockey in any case. He has a grand total of 20 PIM in 41 matches this season, even Gonchar has more PIM than that.

I find it weird that Gonchar is the player with a clear attempt to injure, yet Clutterbuck is the player that gets recognized as the dirty one of the two.
The penalty discrepency would probably be Gonchar getting 10+ minutes of extra ice time where he has to defend his net, while Clutterbuck is a forward who makes contact along the boards.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Because Gonchar built a reputation over more than a decade in the league of a skill player with very little in the way of incidents such as this one. Clutterbuck built a reputation as a pest. It is like asking why the Pens' Matt Cooke has such a similarly borderline rep in the league. Different players, different roles, different history.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
RememberRoger*
apt w/ 2 sexy ladies

Quote:

not sure where you derived such genius analysis from... actually, i watch plenty of hockey (and not just my team); i won't speculate how much hockey you 'watch,' (or soccer -- who calls a hockey 'game' a 'match' anyway?) what would be the point? at any rate, i don't need to tune in to every single Minnesota Wild borefest to determine that Clutterbuck is a one-dimensional plug -- but thanks for weighing in, and keep gripping on to that PIM stat comparison as the foundation for your righteousness, very convincing.

RememberRoger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
DarkReign

If I were Clutterbuck, I would have shaken that hit off and rocked Gonchar. So friggin dirty...all because Gonchar was butt-hurt that he got hit legally.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Pascha

Both hits were equally late. One just happened to be with the player (Clusterf**k) in a more vulnerable position.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Because Gonchar built a reputation over more than a decade in the league of a skill player with very little in the way of incidents such as this one. Clutterbuck built a reputation as a pest. It is like asking why the Pens' Matt Cooke has such a similarly borderline rep in the league. Different players, different roles, different history.
Totally agree with this statement. But, I don't ever want to hear Pens fans defending Cooke when he's an idiot (which he usually is), and then turning around and calling Clutterbuck an idiot (which he usually is). Guys like Cooke, Clutterbuck, Kaleta, Burrows, Ruutu, Lapierre, Hartnell are what they are...they're annoying pests that run their mouths and make questionable plays.

I've said it before, but I'm already dreading the day when Brad Marchand becomes a regular for the Bruins because he's most likely going to fill that role. Similarly, I bet most Caps fans feel the same about the impending Della Rovere era in Washington. These guys play a role, but their relatively loathesome if they're not on your own team.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Not for nothing, but the hit that Gonchar was apparently upset about was clean, so he got his panties in a twist for no reason. Dirty, bush league hit on Gonchars part. People can say all they want about the legitamacy of Clutterboys threats but I'm pretty positive that if he got the opportunity to square up with Gonchar, the latter would either run away or turtle up.

Also if avery can get suspended for a reference to his old bangs, clutterboy can get suspended for this.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Just watched the hit for the first time. Not anywhere near as dirty as I was led to believe on this thread. It seemed that Gonchar may have been anticipating the puck making it to Clutterbuck but it didn't, so it's obviously a penalty for interference if nothing else. He also got his hands up too high and I assume that's why they gave him a major. It actually reminds me a lot of the hit on Aaron Rome last week, the difference being that Rome had the puck. No penalty called there. I also think that Gonchar was making a point to Clutterbuck.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post

I am personally placing a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Sergei Gonchar. He's the head coach and chief punk on that Pittsburgh team.
Awesome reference.

Perfect timing

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Humphrey*

"he better hope he retires at the end of the year"

what does that even mean? Clutterbuck seems to have the IQ of a walnut

Humphrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey22 View Post
"he better hope he retires at the end of the year"

what does that even mean? Clutterbuck seems to have the IQ of a walnut
Yeah, he'd better hope he retires at the end of the year, but someone is going to hurt him before the end of year. And why would he have to hope he retires anyway? If he wants to he will, it's not like he needs to play another year or two to make his car payments. Just a bizarre quote all the way around. It'd be cool to see the Pens and Wild play again though.

Godard vs. Boogaard
Scott vs. Rupp
Crosby vs. Zidlicky pt. 2

Cooke and Clutterbuck and Orpik hitting everything.

Sounds like a good time to me.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
DoomMF

Man, 12 years old girls don't come across as whiny as Clutterbuck does right there (and I hate the Pens).

Man up and take off the panties Gal.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
blueberrydanish

Funny he'd say something especially as obvious as that to the media....gonna be even funnier if nothing comes of it which will most likely be the case

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drij

lol at Buttercup.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Just watched the hit for the first time. Not anywhere near as dirty as I was led to believe on this thread. It seemed that Gonchar may have been anticipating the puck making it to Clutterbuck but it didn't, so it's obviously a penalty for interference if nothing else. He also got his hands up too high and I assume that's why they gave him a major. It actually reminds me a lot of the hit on Aaron Rome last week, the difference being that Rome had the puck. No penalty called there. I also think that Gonchar was making a point to Clutterbuck.
Yeah, reading the first couple of pages I thought I was going to see a running elbow smash to Clutterbuck's face with his head against the glass followed by a butt end and a couple of kicks to the groin for good measure.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Nashology

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberRoger View Post
not sure where you derived such genius analysis from... actually, i watch plenty of hockey (and not just my team); i won't speculate how much hockey you 'watch,' (or soccer -- who calls a hockey 'game' a 'match' anyway?) what would be the point? at any rate, i don't need to tune in to every single Minnesota Wild borefest to determine that Clutterbuck is a one-dimensional plug -- but thanks for weighing in, and keep gripping on to that PIM stat comparison as the foundation for your righteousness, very convincing.
That one dimensional plug who leads the league in hits and who plays 3rd/4th line minutes also is on pace for like 20 goals. Go figure. And Cal is far from a dirty player.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
Some people in this thread are pathetic for saying Clutterbuck deserved such a nasty hit. Why, because he plays hard? So what? He's not a dirty player and all his hits are clean. He was obviously mad after the hit and his comments are understandable. If you think Clutterbuck deserved what he got, then you're a terrible human being.
I'd say you're a naive human being or one with an untoward fetish for "rules" because if you think that a guy like Clutterbuck is going to get to run around and hit everyone and everybody - cleanly or not - and not eventually have something like this happen, you're as - well - clueless as Clutterbuck seems to be.

Gonchar was sending Clutterbuck a very simple message, and judging by the way he's squealing about it, Sarge made his point.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
If I were Clutterbuck, I would have shaken that hit off and rocked Gonchar. So friggin dirty...all because Gonchar was butt-hurt that he got hit legally.
It's easier to hit Gonchar legally, he carries the puck a hell of a lot more than Clutterbuck does.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Yeah, reading the first couple of pages I thought I was going to see a running elbow smash to Clutterbuck's face with his head against the glass followed by a butt end and a couple of kicks to the groin for good measure.
I don't know what you're referring to but…the bold part is what I saw! So you did actually see a portion of what you said.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote