HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Clutterbuck: Gonchar better hope he retires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
  #151
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Clutterbuck can't be compared to Cooke at all. Yea, they both hit. Yea, they are both 3rd liners. Yea, they both piss people off. But Clutterbuck doesn't hit people from behind, sucker punch people or two hand people. Until he does that, he's a great third line player. Cooke does his role but is cheap and hides behind refs and I do recall him going to his bench quickly after a borderline cheapshot when the other team started to fight...he left his teammates out to dry. If you have watched Clutterbuck at all...which you say you have, you know he will do anything for his team. He has heart, Cooke does not.
We'll politely agree to disagree on the Cooke-Clutterbuck comparison...I think it's a lot closer than you think. But one other thing regarding the "Cooke has been suspended and Kaleta/Clutterbuck has not" defense that I hear from Sabres and Wild fans. Cooke has an 11 year track record in the NHL, whereas Kaleta and Clutterbuck have 2 and 3 seasons collectively...trust me, those suspensions are coming. Those guys play virtually identical styles to Cooke, whether you want to admit it or not.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  #152
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Some of you need to keep what he is saying in context and stop trying to pursue it as if he's going to put a hit out on Gonchar.
He literally said that someone, not him, was going to get Gonchar because of this.

Quote:
Not to mention, Clutterbuck talks a lot of sh**, or isn't that part of hockey anymore?
If Clutterbuck was going to act like a hockey player, he'd have said it on the ice. Instead he told the media. Which hockey players should not be doing. You know why they learn those canned answers about playing their game and sticking to fundamentals? Because that's what hockey players do. They use racial epithets and hit people with sticks on the ice, but not outside of the rink.

Quote:
While there might be some truth to it, that's not the case at all in regards to clowns like Cooke and Clutterbuck.
And while this guy doesn't, I do like these 'clowns'. You need a guy like Ruutu or Cooke who will bend the rules and play unfairly.

Quote:
Clutterbuck happens to be the heart of the Minnesota Wild, whether people care to acknowledge that or not
I hope you mean he's the heart of the Wild in the same way Talbot is the heart of the Penguins. Because if you mean it as in, the team revolves around Clutterbuck, there are serious problems in Minneapolis.

Quote:
Clutterbuck can't be compared to Cooke at all. Yea, they both hit. Yea, they are both 3rd liners. Yea, they both piss people off. But Clutterbuck doesn't hit people from behind, sucker punch people or two hand people. Until he does that, he's a great third line player.
Actually, its until when he starts playing hockey as mean and cerebral as those guys, he probably won't get anywhere. You can care about what people say about you, or you can care about winning.

Quote:
Cooke does his role but is cheap and hides behind refs and I do recall him going to his bench quickly after a borderline cheapshot when the other team started to fight...he left his teammates out to dry.
This is awesome conjecture. I recall a time when it was time to tip for the bill, and Cal Clutterbuck went to the bathroom, reappearing after everyone put their coats on..!


I don't think that Clutterbuck is necessarily a cheap player, or that Gonchar's hit was clean. I don't even think it was a good time or move to get revenge. However, if you guys think that grinders can run around and hit whoever they want without retribution... you have not watched hockey. You hit a star, clean or not, you pay out. The fact that it was Gonchar himself who returned the favor is the more surprising part.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
  #153
Jbcraig1883
Registered User
 
Jbcraig1883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
We'll politely agree to disagree on the Cooke-Clutterbuck comparison...I think it's a lot closer than you think. But one other thing regarding the "Cooke has been suspended and Kaleta/Clutterbuck has not" defense that I hear from Sabres and Wild fans. Cooke has an 11 year track record in the NHL, whereas Kaleta and Clutterbuck have 2 and 3 seasons collectively...trust me, those suspensions are coming. Those guys play virtually identical styles to Cooke, whether you want to admit it or not.
I will agree to disagree then. I have watched Cooke for 10 years and Clutterbuck for two. The only similarity is that they both piss of the other teams and that they hit hard. I've seen countless times when Clutterbuck could have drilled a guy from behind...those same situations where Cooke has followed through. And, you might feel that those suspensions are coming...but until he has been suspended, your conclusion that he is identical to Cooke is logically incorrect.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
  #154
Jbcraig1883
Registered User
 
Jbcraig1883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Deleted post as misread posters comment.


Last edited by Jbcraig1883: 01-15-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
  #155
GOB Bluth
Registered User
 
GOB Bluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
First off, Clutterbuck was dumb to say what he did. Secondly, he does talk a lot of trash.

But there are so many misinformed comments in this thread. Does everyone just base their comments of what they read on forums and from what they hear from Don Cherry, or their local commentators?

Clutterbuck is NOT cheap. Look at how many PIMs he has...youtube me his dirty hits. Show me his elbows, hits from behind. You should watch him play a few times and then form your own opinions, instead of just regurgitating some garbage.
Don't know if I can find a youtube but last season he hit Patrick O'Sullivan from behind way behind the play and then turtled to Peter Harrold. PETER HARROLD.

GOB Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
  #156
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Registered User
 
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Clutterbuck is pathetic. What a stupid thing to say. He would never do it himself because if he actually tried to fight him I'm pretty sure Gonchar would kick his ass.
Gooch would get destroyed. How many fighting majors does he have exactly?

Perhaps Gooch should stop spazzing out after getting hit cleanly. He's going to wrong the wrong guy someday and get his head caved in.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
  #157
GOB Bluth
Registered User
 
GOB Bluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLCAPSALLTHETIME View Post
Gooch would get destroyed. How many fighting majors does he have exactly?

Perhaps Gooch should stop spazzing out after getting hit cleanly. He's going to wrong the wrong guy someday and get his head caved in.
Not saying Gonchar's tough. Saying Clutterbuck isn't either.

GOB Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
  #158
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I hope you mean he's the heart of the Wild in the same way Talbot is the heart of the Penguins. Because if you mean it as in, the team revolves around Clutterbuck, there are serious problems in Minneapolis.
Let me try to help you with this by a little comparison, and we will see if biasness comes into play on your part even more than it already is perceived that is has: Crosby is the face of your franchise and has one of the largest followings in the NHL outside of the key demographic area of Pittsburgh easily. He is the heart of your team because he extremely well liked by his peers on the Penguins and most of all the fans as being incredible to watch because of how hard he works every single shift.

Clutterbuck is the Minnesota Wild's face of the team because he fits the exact same billing as I just described. Yes, I obviously realize I am comparing a 100+ point player every year to one who will be lucky to even break 30. However, that is not what I am even remotely wanting to debate because its painfully obvious. What I am talking about are the players on every team that are out there pushing 110% every single shift in whatever way they possibly can in order to either swing the momentum their way, or even make the big play that breaks the game open for them. His big hits out there get the crowd into the game, and they get the players amped up to know that someone who is that small is willing to check anyone without even thinking about what could happen to his own body if "X player" went up and checked him in the boards. He keeps on fighting and that is why the fans of the Minnesota Wild love him so damn much because his work ethic is beyond comparison.

So yes, you comparing him to Talbot is irrelevant and the only reason you use him is because of what line they play. I highly doubt if Talbot didn't play, the Penguins would feel that repercussion. If Clutterbuck doesn't, it can be a gamechanger. Players who are considered the "heart" of the team are the ones who motivate and push them to a whole new level. While you may subject that is bad for the Wild, fact remains they are only 4 points out of a playoff spot, and that was after a disaster of the beginning of the season and a complete overhaul of management. We can't all have teams that field 2 elite lines year in and year out.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
  #159
Pittsburgh Proud
Registered User
 
Pittsburgh Proud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3RR27 View Post
Not for nothing, but the hit that Gonchar was apparently upset about was clean, so he got his panties in a twist for no reason. Dirty, bush league hit on Gonchars part. People can say all they want about the legitamacy of Clutterboys threats but I'm pretty positive that if he got the opportunity to square up with Gonchar, the latter would either run away or turtle up.

Also if avery can get suspended for a reference to his old bangs, clutterboy can get suspended for this.
I've never seen Gonchar fight. But he stares people down and it freaks me out. The dude seems like a total badass. I can't see him running or turtleing.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
  #160
Iron Range Red
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
L
Clutterbuck is the Minnesota Wild's face of the team because he fits the exact same billing as I just described. .
Are you sure you are a Wild fan? Because it sure doesn't sound like it. Mikko Koivu is the face of the franchise not Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck is a fan favorite but not the face of the team.

Iron Range Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
  #161
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
If Clutterbuck doesn't, it can be a gamechanger.
I highly doubt this. Something tells me if Clutterbuck goes down for a few games, the Wild aren't going to feel the effects as large as a Crosby or Iginla or Lundqvist or any guy I would describe as the team's heart.


And for the record, Crosby probably is the heart of the Pens while Talbot is the soul. I'd say Clutterbuck might be closer to that. Because I'm sure if given Sophie's Choice, you'd take Backstrom or Koivu before Clutterbuck.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
  #162
ronnyweed
Registered User
 
ronnyweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
I used to like cal, but thats a gutless statement... leave it on the ice cal, you werent even hurt

ronnyweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
  #163
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I highly doubt this. Something tells me if Clutterbuck goes down for a few games, the Wild aren't going to feel the effects as large as a Crosby or Iginla or Lundqvist or any guy I would describe as the team's heart.


And for the record, Crosby probably is the heart of the Pens while Talbot is the soul. I'd say Clutterbuck might be closer to that. Because I'm sure if given Sophie's Choice, you'd take Backstrom or Koivu before Clutterbuck.
i don't know what Sophies choice is, but i would. I love clutterbuck and it would take a huge overpayment for me to be okay with him being dealt but I would keep both Koivu and Backs over him in interest of keeping the team competitive.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
  #164
Karl
Registered User
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Hilarious. People are calling Clutterbuck a pansy because after a game where he got elbowed in the head he vents and makes a dumb comment. But Gonchar and many people here a crying because Clutterbuck has the gall to go around and hit players cleanly. So just because Gonchar was injured in the past that gives him a free pass to hunt down a player cheap shot him? So I guess that means that Mikko Koivu can take a big swing and chop someone in the legs because it happened to him before so it is ok. What a joke.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
  #165
Karl
Registered User
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
I used to like cal, but thats a gutless statement... leave it on the ice cal, you werent even hurt
So if a guy doesn't get hurt that makes it ok to cheap shot a person?

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:37 PM
  #166
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So if a guy doesn't get hurt that makes it ok to cheap shot a person?
yes, exactly.

But hey, he can always say the blow to the head impaired his judgment that night--can't be responsible for what he was saying.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
  #167
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,653
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
You need a guy like Ruutu or Cooke who will bend the rules and play unfairly.
Best Ruutu moment ever....


Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
  #168
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Best Ruutu moment ever....

brings a smile to my face every time

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
  #169
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,653
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Hilarious. People are calling Clutterbuck a pansy because after a game where he got elbowed in the head he vents and makes a dumb comment. But Gonchar and many people here a crying because Clutterbuck has the gall to go around and hit players cleanly. So just because Gonchar was injured in the past that gives him a free pass to hunt down a player cheap shot him? So I guess that means that Mikko Koivu can take a big swing and chop someone in the legs because it happened to him before so it is ok. What a joke.
I think everyone's problem is that he whined and essentially threatened another player after a game. You rarely hear that, even after far dirtier hits than what Clutterbuck took. Kudo's to him for getting up after it, seriously, but dude, do your talking on the ice. Not everyone whines their ass off after they take a bad hit.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
  #170
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,653
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
brings a smile to my face every time
Hey there. It's my old friend from the Wild board.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.