HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

T.J. Oshie Slewfoots Andrew Ebbett

Old
01-14-2010, 11:33 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I agree that it was accidental (read: not dirty). But a penalty was called. Oshie put his arm across his chest. That's what caused the slew-foot - pulling him back over his leg, so calling a hold is fine. It's like when a guy trips someone away from the play. Call a trip, call interference, who cares?
A two minute holding call was made. That's the wrong call, period. That should have been called a slew-foot, and the automatic match penalty should have been made. Unfortunately the rulebook is all-or-nothing about a slew-foot, as that's pretty harsh, but that was the only correct call. That was not just a hold. That was not just a trip. That was a slew-foot.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
A two minute holding call was made. That's the wrong call, period. That should have been called a slew-foot, and the automatic match penalty should have been made. Unfortunately the rulebook is all-or-nothing about a slew-foot, as that's pretty harsh, but that was the only correct call. That was not just a hold. That was not just a trip. That was a slew-foot.
And Boogard should have had a 4-5 min penalty in the ensuing seconds. Then there was the fantom interference call on us later. It goes both ways.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
And Boogard should have had a 4-5 min penalty in the ensuing seconds. Then there was the fantom interference call on us later. It goes both ways.
He got 2. 4 would have been the maximum. The fact that St. Louis came away with just 2 PIMs in that mess is hard to imagine.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:40 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Yea. If this is a "the officiating isn't to my liking" issue, then everybody can sit and spin, because officiating is questionable in about half of the games I've seen this year. He got a penalty, which is more than you can ask for a play that actually deserved a penalty a lot of the time.

The aim of the thread was to declare that it was dirty and suspension-worthy. It was neither. He deserved a penalty and got one. Good enough for me.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
He got 2. 4 would have been the maximum. The fact that St. Louis came away with just 2 PIMs in that mess is hard to imagine.
If your a MIN fan I would guess so...

See it our way its different...either way there is no point to argue it because we all have different points of view.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Kostas X

Is it me or does slewfoot just sound dumb? Sounds like a disease or a weird sex position. Maybe both?

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

No trolls tonight?

If this was a canucks player it would have been easily 10+ pages by now.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Steve Larmer

Give me youtube or give me death

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nothing on Youtube, nothing from the Wild.com, nothing I can find.

The two were at about the facoff dot in the Wild end, Oshie put his hand in front of Ebbett and pulled back, then they both went towards the boards and Oshie's leg swept into Ebbett's from behind. Oshie went down awkward and Ebbett went down pretty hard, crashed into the boards with his skates, and hit his upper back/shoulders/helmet on the ice.

It happened pretty quick, but it was textbook slewfoot, and I doubt it was intentional (the pulling back with the arm was).

Good on the Wild for actually responding this time, because the league won't. I have no idea how Sheppard got 10 minutes, but Boogaard got a couple punches off.

I guess the penalties are right, but Colonblow Campbell's spinning wheel of justice will come up first-time offender. If a grinder did it, it'd probably be a suspension.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Nothing on Youtube, nothing from the Wild.com, nothing I can find.

The two were at about the facoff dot in the Wild end, Oshie put his hand in front of Ebbett and pulled back, then they both went towards the boards and Oshie's leg swept into Ebbett's from behind. Oshie went down awkward and Ebbett went down pretty hard, crashed into the boards with his skates, and hit his upper back/shoulders/helmet on the ice.

It happened pretty quick, but it was textbook slewfoot, and I doubt it was intentional (the pulling back with the arm was).

Good on the Wild for actually responding this time, because the league won't. I have no idea how Sheppard got 10 minutes, but Boogaard got a couple punches off.

I guess the penalties are right, but Colonblow Campbell's spinning wheel of justice will come up first-time offender. If a grinder did it, it'd probably be a suspension.
If it was not intentional how was it a slewfoot?

Sheppard got ten because he kept going back at Oshie after the ref pushed him back and told him not to keep it up.

Boogaared was pretty manly throwing punches at a guy who is being held from behind another linesman. Pretty big punk move from one of the toughest guys in the league. About as manly as Downie throwing haymakers at a Panthers player on the ice.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

"A Minor penalty or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall be assessed any player who uses his feet to knock an opponents skates out from under him with a kicking or leg dragging motion from behind ("slew footing")." (Canadian Hockey Referee’s Case Book/Rule Combination, 2001, pg. 221)

That's exactly what happened.

I'm not saying Sheppard didn't deserve it, I had no idea he was on the ice at the time or in the scrum. The camera just kept showing Boogaard and then replays of the trip.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
BigT2002

Was accidental all there is to it. Oshie was just stupid as hell to put his arm in front of Ebbett to keep him from the puck when they were going to the boards. Should it be Slewfoot? Sure. But accidents do happen. Its not like Salo slashing the hell out of Koivu's leg and taking him out.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
"A Minor penalty or, at the discretion of the Referee, a Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall be assessed any player who uses his feet to knock an opponents skates out from under him with a kicking or leg dragging motion from behind ("slew footing")." (Canadian Hockey Referee’s Case Book/Rule Combination, 2001, pg. 221)

That's exactly what happened.

I'm not saying Sheppard didn't deserve it, I had no idea he was on the ice at the time or in the scrum. The camera just kept showing Boogaard and then replays of the trip.
I guess we interpret the rule differently. I read "any player who uses his feet to knock an opponents skates out from under him..." as doing it intentionally.

Old
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Didn't it look accidental to you?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
Didn't it look accidental to you?
I assume you are talking to me, as I said earlier, it was accidental.

Old
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Nicklin3011*

Its andrew Ebbett ... Is it just me, but the do the Wild complain about everything/

Nicklin3011* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
Its andrew Ebbett ... Is it just me, but the do the Wild complain about everything/
you are too funny. It was a controversial call that ended up injuring a player that was already called up to begin with. Any team in their right mind would have been complaining to an extent if it meant they were probably calling someone else up to a team that is already having difficulty keeping a 4th line strong enough to allow for their top 2 lines to get a break. Or are you just being biased with your opinion because Chicago (I'm assuming with where you live) hasn't had those issues yet??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
STL fan in IA

It sure looked like a slewfoot to me. Looking at the replay and knowing Oshie's history, I get the impression it wasn't intentional but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. If you high stick someone accidentially, are you not still guilty of high sticking? My guess is that since it looked like an accident Oshie will likely escape without a suspension but he probably should've gotten more than a 2 minute holding penalty on the play.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote