HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

M.A. Fleury = Osgood?

Old
01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

vCash: 500
Fleury > Osgood

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:10 PM
AK

Fleury has not played to his capabilities this season. He's been very inconsistent. He'll never be a stats goalie by any means, but he needs to be better. He is giving up a questionable goal or two just about every game.

I maintain full faith that he will come around in the playoffs. His efforts tonight and last night have been encouraging.

He is better than Chris Osgood.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
thrillhous

It's easy to forget that he's only 25, which is when a lot of goalies are only breaking into the NHL.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
zackisonfire*

No, he's not.

He needs to amass a mere 384 wins to go along with 74 playoff victories, resulting in 3 cups.

Surely he's Osgood's equal though.

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

I don't see the problem with the comparisons.

Fleury won his first cup at 25. So did Osgood.

Fleury has been considered to let in a few stinkers at strange times. So did Osgood.

Fleury is playing behind some top end talent. So did Osgood (though much more depth).

Fleury could win another cup with the Penguins and I don't see that as too far-fetched. Osgood won a cup as well.

So personally I don't see the problem with Fleury being compared to a guy who is in top 10 in wins and has two cups to his name (inb4 the system).

Last edited by ArGarBarGar: 01-14-2010 at 11:34 PM.
ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Fleury is and will be just an average goalie until he can become consistent.

The past month or so he's been brutal at times.

He won a cup...hooray, that doesn't make him a star goalie.
i agree. he is nowhere near an elite goalie as some pens fans say he is. he's an average goalie who won a cup on a very good team that could of won with any average goalie.

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Sorry

If the last few games are any indication, he is returning to top form.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
A lot of goalies would do the same with a lineup like he has in front of him.
Their lineup is okay. they have 3 elite players playing in front of him and a great shutdown center and some decent supporting players. Lots of teams have that. Well, lots of elite teams.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 01-15-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:12 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Well Quick had a shutout tonight, so that makes only Fleury. But I think Fleury is a very good goaltender, just having a subpar season. Could be a case where the defense isn't allowing many shots, just good scoring chances. All that really matters is how many W's you can get... just ask the Red Wings

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
alexanderovechkin8

he is still young and the playofss are the only thing that matter

alexanderovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Fleury > Osgood
right now, yes. entire career, no

Old
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Fleury is and will be just an average goalie until he can become consistent.

He won a cup...hooray, that doesn't make him a star goalie.
Exactly the way I see it.

He's a good goalie. No more, no less.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Fleury is a ton more talented than Osgood...Osgood would have been pretty good if he played from 1979-1994, he looks like a goalie from that time with his style...Fleury has some of the best raw talent to come into the league in quite some time, he goes through stretches like a lot of young goalies (Lundqvist for starters)...

He's still figuring it all out, in the mean time, he's had some epic playoff performances...

On the plus side, he went from "Fleury a bust?" to "Fleury a fluke?" to "Fleury a goalie to be lucky on a good team? (but with mentions of his playoff clutchness)" I can only imagine what happens when he enters his prime..."Fleury a top 5 goalie?" "Fleury a Vezina candidate?" should be interesting, he has all the talent in the world to make it happen...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Fire Brunet*

He's good but kinda overrated... he's the only goalie in the league who can have a .908 save % and a 2.6 GAA and still have 25 wins because he plays for high scoring, Stanley cup winner team...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Fleury is a ton more talented than Osgood...Osgood would have been pretty good if he played from 1979-1994, he looks like a goalie from that time with his style...Fleury has some of the best raw talent to come into the league in quite some time, he goes through stretches like a lot of young goalies (Lundqvist for starters)...

He's still figuring it all out, in the mean time, he's had some epic playoff performances...

On the plus side, he went from "Fleury a bust?" to "Fleury a fluke?" to "Fleury a goalie to be lucky on a good team? (but with mentions of his playoff clutchness)" I can only imagine what happens when he enters his prime..."Fleury a top 5 goalie?" "Fleury a Vezina candidate?" should be interesting, he has all the talent in the world to make it happen...
how can u say fleury is tons more talanted when u say he is still figuring it all out? he is a result of a very good team in front of him just like the osgood bashers say about osgood

Old
01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Fleury has not played to his capabilities this season. He's been very inconsistent. He'll never be a stats goalie by any means, but he needs to be better. He is giving up a questionable goal or two just about every game.

I maintain full faith that he will come around in the playoffs. His efforts tonight and last night have been encouraging.

He is better than Chris Osgood.
The Pens have generally played a wide open style based on the shot quality numbers and rely on MAF to make big saves. He hasn't been great this year but has been much better in years past then his SV% would lead you to believe.

He's already better then Osgood ever was IMO and still growing.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:53 AM
SuicideKings15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdrum View Post
No, he's not.

He needs to amass a mere 384 wins to go along with 74 playoff victories, resulting in 3 cups.

Surely he's Osgood's equal though.
Well, he's only 260 regular season wins, 43 play-off wins and 2 cups away from that with 12 years to work on him.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:10 AM
PensFever71

Fleury is extremely talented. I think most people would agree he possesses better physical abilities than Chris Osgood. Osgood was and is a good serviceable goaltender for the Red Wings. Osgood played with a consistently well disciplined team, with a defensive stud in front of him. While Fleury does have a very good team in front of him, I wouldn't say he has had the caliber of defense that Osgood was fortunate to have. As far as him being a superstar... He is a game-changer and often times keeps the Pens in a game where they are being outplayed. There's only one Brodeur, and one Luongo. I'm just glad Fleury will have a chance to work with them in Vancouver. Also, saying that any (or many) average goaltenders would have won a cup behind the Penguins, is bold and in my opinion, inaccurate.
Posted via Mobile Device

PensFever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Incognito

Fleury is one of the most athletically gifted goaltenders in NHL history. He is very naturally talented, which I believe to be both a blessing and a curse. Obviously talent is important, but it seems that he relies too much on his natural abilities and falls back on them a lot. He needs to combine his athletic gifts with good technical skills on a consistent basis if he ever reach his potential, which is extraordinarily high. If he fails to put it all together and remains as is, he'll still be a very good goalie, but not elite. If he does figure it out one day, then I have no doubt he'll be dominant.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Deadbolt401

Quote:
Lundqvist is and will be just an average goalie until he can become consistent.

He hasn't won a cup...hooray, that doesn't make him a star goalie.

So, what does then?

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Fleury is a very good goalie. He's a little less consistent than the truly elite goalies in the league. However, he's also about as physically talented as any goalie in the league and he can steal games when he's on. He isn't protected by a boring/trapping team that keeps shots & chances to a minimum. The Pens ask him to make many high degree of difficulty saves because they want to play very aggressive.

Anyway, He's a winner and that's all that matters.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:30 AM
PensFever71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Fleury is one of the most athletically gifted goaltenders in NHL history. He is very naturally talented, which I believe to be both a blessing and a curse. Obviously talent is important, but it seems that he relies too much on his natural abilities and falls back on them a lot. He needs to combine his athletic gifts with good technical skills on a consistent basis if he ever reach his potential, which is extraordinarily high. If he fails to put it all together and remains as is, he'll still be a very good goalie, but not elite. If he does figure it out one day, then I have no doubt he'll be dominant.
This is spot on, at least to how I feel about the issue. Combine his ability with a strong dedication to technique and increased mental toughness, you have a superstar.
Posted via Mobile Device

PensFever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Chain Attack

Fleury has the coordination and the flexibility to be the best goalie in the nhl, and he's still relatively young at 25.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:38 AM
Hades

I think he's a bit like Carey Price. Great potential, consistency issues, will stop lots of good scoring chances and sometimes let in a weak goal. They're both still young and could end up being great goalies in the future though.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:44 AM
VanEric

Good goalie on a very good team meaning he needs to be decent most nights and great every now and then to do his job.

Is that Osgood? I don't know. The Penguins haven't actively tried to replace Fleury for years on end.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote