HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

M.A. Fleury = Osgood?

Old
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Fleury is far better than Osgood, and he still hasn't even reached his peak. Osgood was never been put in the position of having to win games or series for Detroit, he just didn't have to lose them. You could argue that Fleury won several games for Pittsburgh over the last two years, especially in the late games of the Finals last year.
Another who hasn't watched Osgood play too much. I'll ask you as I have others? Did you see the HHOF loaded 1999 DRW, trying to 3 peat? Osgood goes down and the DRW were up in games 2-0 against the Avs with a Conn Smythe winner Bill Ranford in net and got sweep in 4 game by the Avs without Osgood. So the system argument goes out the window.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Ogopogo*

Yes because they have both been named to Team Canada's Olympic team during their careers.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Harold Snepsts

I don't think M.A.F = Ozzy.

When he's playing well, Ozzy is very good and very consistent and gives his team a good chance to win. Not great, but very good. And the last few seasons he's been very good at bargain basement prices. Last playoffs, he was better throughout the playoffs than Fleury.

But Fleury is a more talented goaltender with a chance at being elite. Though at this point in his career, he has some consistency problems.

I don't know where Fleury will end up, but he has the ability to be much better than Ozzy.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
GeeoffBrown

I think this is a valid comparison. Osgood maybe not so good in his waning years but if you look at Chris Osgood's career stats they are very good. It is not an insult to be compared to Osgood.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
xtr3m

Broke a finger on his catching hand during the Calgary game, still won.
Played in Edmonton the next day, still won.

MAF is god.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
ContrarianGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
Another who hasn't watched Osgood play too much. I'll ask you as I have others? Did you see the HHOF loaded 1999 DRW, trying to 3 peat? Osgood goes down and the DRW were up in games 2-0 against the Avs with a Conn Smythe winner Bill Ranford in net and got sweep in 4 game by the Avs without Osgood. So the system argument goes out the window.
You're picking that series as your defence of Osgood? Really?

I don't know if the Red Wings would have won that series or not with Osgood in net the whole way, but you're making it sound like Osgood got hurt after game 2 with the Wings up 2-0 and Ranford lost the next 4. What actually happened was that Ranford went 2-2 over the first 4, and then Osgood came in and lost games 5 and 6 (stopping an unimpressive 23 of 26 and 26 of 31 in those two games). That's not really helping your argument that Osgood could have won with those teams but Ranford could not.

MAF is better than Osgood.

ContrarianGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 06:37 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

No Fleury is actually talented. Hes in a really bad funk right now but I think he'll come out.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Steven Crosby

To quote Al Davis: "Just win, baby".

Steven Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote