HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mitchell & the young guys - What happens next season?

Old
01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Mitchell & the young guys - What happens next season?

Okay, what will happen next season?

We have Torrey Mitchell and Jamie McGinn as NHL regulars. Now, we not only have the best NHL line, but also AHL (Zalewski - Couture - Ferriero) , so next season, we have a lot of young guys that are read to make the jump:

Mitchell
McGinn
Couture
Ferriero
Zalewski

So what happens? Specifically, what happens to the 3rd and 4th lines? What happens to Torrey Mitchell? Couture is a lock for next season. I would say Ferriero should be too. So what happens to our current 3rd grit line and 4th enforcer line?

If Clowe is gone, we can have a McGinn - Pavelski - Setoguchi line , while having Mitchell - Couture - Ferriero line as our 3rd.

If we get rid of Mitchell for instance and come up with McGinn - Couture - Ferriero line, that would pretty much mean the 4th enforcer line is gone completely, but would Malhotra accept the role of a 4th liner (I say he and Nichol should be resigned) ?

What do you guys think about integrating the youth into the NHL roster next season?

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Clowe & Mitchell for Hornqvist @ Trade deadline? I don't know I think Mitchell is awesome and same with the prospect pool.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:46 AM
sjshark91

Here is another Q. Does Pavelski get moved for Couture? I'm not for it but in a cap world...

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Here is another Q. Does Pavelski get moved for Couture? I'm not for it but in a cap world...
Probably not next season. Couture is still yet to play a season in the NHL... 11-12 season can be different though.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:19 AM
sjsharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
If DW is smart with contracts and trades, Pavs should be able to stay, he could move to wing if Couture can't. Two way forwards ala Pavs are a rare commodity and don't get moved a lot, like what has been said in other threads. If DW can get Patty and Pavs on good deals, maybe Nabby takes a hometown discount for 2 years, and no more bonehead Huskins will be the Scuderi signings cap space shouldn't be a problem. Thornton will it appears take a hometown discount, seeing as how he's said he wants to retire here. So when his contract is up in 2011 maybe get him locked in for about 7-7.5 per. Does anyone else think Seto will only get like 2.5-3 per since he's having a bad season?

sjsharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharks9 View Post
Thornton will it appears take a hometown discount, seeing as how he's said he wants to retire here. So when his contract is up in 2011 maybe get him locked in for about 7-7.5 per. Does anyone else think Seto will only get like 2.5-3 per since he's having a bad season?
Three things:
1) When did Thornton say that?
2) Is 7-7.5 really a home discount? I'd figure 6mil would be if signed for like 10 years
3) Unfortunately, Doug pays for potential, not performance (which is really unpractical for a businessman) so my guess would be 4 mil minimum.

Old
01-15-2010, 03:49 AM
sjsharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Three things:
2) Is 7-7.5 really a home discount? I'd figure 6mil would be if signed for like 10 years
3) Unfortunately, Doug pays for potential, not performance (which is really unpractical for a businessman) so my guess would be 4 mil minimum.
1-I thought i remember him saying that on Shark byte a few years back ill have to look around.
2-For someone who puts up 100+ points yea, seeing as how other players who score 100+ almost all those players make 8+ a year, I agree though 6 per would be a dream for a player of Thornton's caliber.
3-Yea he does hopefully he's seen the error of his ways with Huskins and Blake.

Edit: here's a link to the interview of Joe about retiring as a Shark, the video doesn't work anymore but quotes in the comments
http://www.fearthefin.com/2009/1/11/...-interview-jan

Last edited by sjsharks9: 01-15-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added link
sjsharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Artful_Dodger*

Move Mitchell and Clowe, if possible.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
I would think at least one, if not two of the current 2nd line is gone. That opens up a spot for (I would guess) one of McGinn, Couture, and Ferriero. I agree that Couture is a lock for next season, and I can't imagine him not playing on the 2nd line.

I'm not sure if Manny will be here next year, he's only on a one year deal and I think he sort of signed it out of desperation (his gamble didn't pay off). I think that he can command at least what Mitchell has (1.3ish?), if not more, and it might be hard for us to retain him at that price (I wish we could though). That might mean Zalewski gets his third line spot he's been pegged in for a long time. It appears Zal is maybe more effective not at center, so Mitchell could center him (I have a hard time seeing DW get rid of Mitchell after paying him that nice contract, but maybe that's not the case), then McGinn or Benn could take the other wing (and if we lose two of the 2nd line, one of them could in theory take a spot there). That would leave Nichol, Ort, and a fighter on the 4th line, possibly rotating the fighter with one of the rookies if we are able to retain 2/3 on the 2nd line.

Of course, if DW somehow is able to keep all three 2nd line guys, I have no idea what will happen. But you're right that we can't keep these guys (at least not all of them) in the AHL for another full year.

edit: Oh also, what about McCarthy. he's had a good year, and obviously the club thinks he's close enough to give him some time up here. Or Vesce, he might be a career AHLer, but I thought he'd done well enough in the big time to deserve a shot somewhere with someone. Gee, maybe our pipeline is less empty than I thought...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
TheGooooch

Joe signs 3 year deals, he won't be signing some crazy deal unless marriage changed him.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
wishman

I would like to see Clowe traded. Not because I don't like him. I think he brings a lot to the team. But he's not worth $3.6M.

I would like to see something like this next year:

McGinn - Thornton - Heatley
Patty - Pavelski - Seto
Mitchell - Couture - Malholtra
Ferriero - Nichol - Ortmeyer
McLaren

Zalewski would then be the first option from Worcester.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:02 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Joe signs 3 year deals, he won't be signing some crazy deal unless marriage changed him.
So that means that he's gonna sign a crazy deal? Because I have never heard of any one that marriage hasn't changed.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
I would like to see Clowe traded. Not because I don't like him. I think he brings a lot to the team. But he's not worth $3.6M.

I would like to see something like this next year:

McGinn - Thornton - Heatley
Patty - Pavelski - Seto
Mitchell - Couture - Malholtra
Ferriero - Nichol - Ortmeyer
McLaren

Zalewski would then be the first option from Worcester.
If your going to bring all 3 of those guys up I think you have to put them on the same line, they have chemistry (a lot of it).

Marleau - Thornton - Heatley
Mcginn - Pavelski - Seto
Zalewski - Couture - Ferriero
Mclaren - Nichol - Ortmeyer

I like that lineup.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
If your going to bring all 3 of those guys up I think you have to put them on the same line, they have chemistry (a lot of it).

Marleau - Thornton - Heatley
Mcginn - Pavelski - Seto
Zalewski - Couture - Ferriero
Mclaren - Nichol - Ortmeyer

I like that lineup.
Are you presuming Manny and Mitchell are gone? Or is one of them the backup/splitting time?

Old
01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Are you presuming Manny and Mitchell are gone? Or is one of them the backup/splitting time?
Ya probably. Point was just I wouldn't split those guys up. Set them up for success from the start. I sincerely doubt Malhotra is on this team next year sadly. That would change things obviously.

Old
01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Ya probably. Point was just I wouldn't split those guys up. Set them up for success from the start. I sincerely doubt Malhotra is on this team next year sadly. That would change things obviously.
Got it. Yeah, I mean, the way they're playing in the A, it sure seems like they've got something going together (especially Zalweski, who I think has already broken his points record or something absurd like that), makes sense to me to keep together if they come up, unless training camp showed something different.

Old
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Flicktron

I can't believe a lot of you want Mitchell gone. Is the hype over and done with?

I figure, he would have the rest of this season and next season to prove he may get a regular spot in the line-up. He is coming off a pretty serious injury and before that he was important.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktron View Post
I can't believe a lot of you want Mitchell gone. Is the hype over and done with?

I figure, he would have the rest of this season and next season to prove he may get a regular spot in the line-up. He is coming off a pretty serious injury and before that he was important.
Agreed. You can see a little hesitation in his game still from that injury but all of us know what he's capable of. He's not a detriment to the team playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. He just needs to find that groove. And to be fair to him...a lot of the Sharks don't have that groove right now. Our 1st line, Boyle and Nabby are carrying the team it seems right now.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Three things:
thornton on the open market could easily land full salary allowed in the cba. thornton took something like 2 million off of his last contract. i'm sure he will sign again for something like 7.5 million for another 3 years.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
thornton on the open market could easily land full salary allowed in the cba. thornton took something like 2 million off of his last contract. i'm sure he will sign again for something like 7.5 million for another 3 years.
He's getting older, not to say he's close to being done, but why wouldn't he sign for a home discount? He's got Heater and Patty playing with him. Is he willing to go somewhere else and potentially get back in the same place like a Boston market?

I don't think he wants to go back to that type of place.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
SJeasy

Ostensibly, Malhotra turned down $2mil/year for 4 years from Atlanta. He will not continue to play for $700k/year.

For Zalewski to make it, he has to be a lock. With waivers, he can't do the shuttle between Woostah and SJ. Same for Vesce.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Ostensibly, Malhotra turned down $2mil/year for 4 years from Atlanta. He will not continue to play for $700k/year.

For Zalewski to make it, he has to be a lock. With waivers, he can't do the shuttle between Woostah and SJ. Same for Vesce.
Oof, I knew about it for Vesce, didn't for Zalewski. That might make it harder for him to win a spot, which sucks for him. Unless we had more cap flexibility and could actually have a 23 man roster.

Old
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Oof, I knew about it for Vesce, didn't for Zalewski. That might make it harder for him to win a spot, which sucks for him. Unless we had more cap flexibility and could actually have a 23 man roster.
Ding Ding Ding!

This is the biggest reason we need to waive Huskins or Trade Clowe. We need cap space. It's not a slight on those guys, they've both been fine, but they are the only two overpaid replaceable players we have.

Old
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
wishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post

Obviously a lot depends on what happens with other UFAs/RFAs, but I can see Malhotra signing a 2 to 3 year contract for somewhere around $1.5M a year. I think he'd be well worth this amount.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Obviously a lot depends on what happens with other UFAs/RFAs, but I can see Malhotra signing a 2 to 3 year contract for somewhere around $1.5M a year. I think he'd be well worth this amount.
Nothing over $1mil unless he can produce a couple points per series in the post-season. Same for Nichol and Ortmeyer. To do that the Sharks would have to decrement their top positions (Marleau, Boyle, Clowe, Pavs, Seto, etc.).

History dictates against that production from Malhotra, Nichol and Ortmeyer. IIRC, 2 points in 30 playoff games between the 3 of them.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote