HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leafs Vs Philly Again

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 10:21 PM
TheBudsForever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
Clarke is the GM - he won't be playing tmrw. The Flyers also have an all-European defense (except Markov who is a Canadian at heart) And Brashear - just checks and fights and falls down. I really don't think he plays any dirtier than anybody else (low checks, high elbows, stickwork etc...)
Honestly guy, you have a real fixation somehow about the Leafs being a dirty team. First off, you are way off base re Roberts. You've got a point re Marchment and Tucker, but both are playing pretty clean hockey this season.

Also, Flyer history is full of players that could be called "dirty". "Dirty" hockey is responsible for the only 2 Cups your club has ever won. I watched both of those back to back Cup runs, so trust me, I know what I'm talking about when I say there were many Flyer players who make Marchement and Tucker look like complete candyasses when it came to dirty hockey ... geez man, the Broad Street Bullies were the closest thing to "Slapshot" that the NHL has ever seen since at least the late 1960's. I have no idea how old you are, or if you were even alive when the Flyers won those Cups, but I've got money that says if you were alive, or if you were alive then, you either were, or would have been walking on air and yapping about how the Flyers were the best team in the NHL.

And again, your GM had a big reputation as a "dirty player". Here's an excerpt describing him re the 1972 Summit Series (which I also watched live):

"The "Flin Flon Bomber" also earned the despise of many as he is of course remembered for a vicious two handed slash on Soviet superstar Valeri Kharlamov's sore ankle, which caused him to miss the final game. Many have chastised Clarke for his dirty actions. It is a bit of a trademark image for Clarke, who was known as a gritty but sometimes dirty player who would do whatever it took for his team to win.

Clarke was once asked by famous hockey journalist Dick Beddoes about the slash. Clarke, in typical fashion, downplayed the "tap on his sore ankle" as a part of hockey. "If I hadn't learned to to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon.""

http://www.1972summitseries.com/clarke.html

His comments about how Roger Neilson [a real class guy in his time on thie Earth and in the NHL] went "goofy" after he returned from cancer treatment as being one of the reasons why Neilson wasn't allowed back behind the bench was about as crass as a GM can get IMHO.

BUT, you know something, that's all in the past ... just like it is this season for Marchement and Tucker. That's also why nobody is really mentioning the dirty hockey theme re the Leafs, other than yourself.

Old
04-21-2004, 11:25 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever
Honestly guy, you have a real fixation somehow about the Leafs being a dirty team. First off, you are way off base re Roberts. You've got a point re Marchment and Tucker, but both are playing pretty clean hockey this season.

Also, Flyer history is full of players that could be called "dirty". "Dirty" hockey is responsible for the only 2 Cups your club has ever won. I watched both of those back to back Cup runs, so trust me, I know what I'm talking about when I say there were many Flyer players who make Marchement and Tucker look like complete candyasses when it came to dirty hockey ... geez man, the Broad Street Bullies were the closest thing to "Slapshot" that the NHL has ever seen since at least the late 1960's. I have no idea how old you are, or if you were even alive when the Flyers won those Cups, but I've got money that says if you were alive, or if you were alive then, you either were, or would have been walking on air and yapping about how the Flyers were the best team in the NHL.

And again, your GM had a big reputation as a "dirty player". Here's an excerpt describing him re the 1972 Summit Series (which I also watched live):

BUT, you know something, that's all in the past ... just like it is this season for Marchement and Tucker. That's also why nobody is really mentioning the dirty hockey theme re the Leafs, other than yourself.
Problem: Your argument that the Leafs aren't dirty focused around the 70s Flyers actually being dirty. Nice attempt at a diversion. The Flyers are no longer the Flyers of the 70s... Nowhere close. The "dirtiest" player on Philly might, MIGHT, be JR, and that's a relative term. Even Brashear can't be considered "dirty"... he is a true enforcer who goes about it the right way. Let's talk more about today...

To refute your claim, I shall begin by pointing out Domi's 208 PIM. Even if you say that's mostly fighting majors, I ask you: firstly, do clean players fight, and secondly, is it not true that players who typically fight are usually involved in some kind of face rubbing, slashing, or generally unsportsmanlike conduct which precipitates into said fighting? He is also one of the most disrespectful players I have ever seen toward referees. He always has his bert 'n ernie monobrow furled, and constantly mouthing off to refs about legit calls. Put that on top of the fact that I don't think I've seen anyone get away with leaving his feet to check as much as Domi. Watch for it. He is the master. He's not bad at the low hit either.

Re: Tucker. Don't try to sell me here. I am a long time Habs fan, and I know exactly who you got there. Sure, the guy seems to work hard, but he is reckless and dangerous with his stick. He is almost as bad as Domi when it comes to mouthing off at the drop of a hat. He's definitely as bad when it comes to bad checking... not limited to leaving his feet.

Now Marchement. He seems to be playing the mature card recently, but the guy already has enough history to label his style of hockey, even if he is pontified tomorrow. Roberts... well, not exactly dirty, but he throws the Gordie Howe elbow as well as anyone in corners and along the boards. How do we explain Wade Belak? A no one who doesn't come first to people's minds, but is a stick work master and "clutch to avoid getting beaten" guru.

Finally, look at the most hated players on each team thread. Do you think everyone's picking Domi and Tucker because the rip our teams up? No one is afraid of the pint-sized Domi, especially since his patented move is circling backwards away from other fighters, and Tucker doesn't score enough to be a legit scare to anyone. It doesn't mean they're doing their job getting under everyone's skin. Everyone simply disapproves of the type of hockey they play, and the fact that this type of play is condoned and celebrated in Toronto only gives strength to the "dirty Canadian-style hockey" debate.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:58 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Both teamas have improved over last season. The Flyers thou are the rested team, with the Leafs with 1 day off after the 7 gamer with the Sens.

The Flyers are going to present a real challenge for the Leafs defenseman. The Sens for the entire series either refused to or couldnt go to the net. The Flyers will go to the net and create havok in front of Belfour. He will not have it as easy as he did in the Ottawa series. I still have no idea why everyone was so afraid of the Sens this year. They do not have nough character guys and have no one willing to pay the price of scoring the ugly, dirty goals needed to win a playoff hockey game.
Sorry Sens fans i mean no disrespect tword your team. if i offended you im sorry.

As allways this will be a very physical series(my captian obvous statement of the night) There isnt going to be anyone fooling anyone in this series. both teams hate each other, and both teams know what the other one is going to do to win.
If the Flyers can stay out of the box and not get suckered into taking stupid penalties by Toronto's **** stirer's they should be allright. Everyone knows the Leafs will allways take a stupid penalty or 2, quite often at a critical juncure of a hockey game. It will be up to the Flyers to take full advantage.
Flyers in the end thou will have too much depth at forward. the defense overall is better then Toronto. they no longer have the big, slow refuse to hit defenseman(cough,cough, Therien cough,cough) Yeah the Leafs have Belfour and he is very capable of stealing a game or 2. But for reasons stated above I am going to go with the Flyers in 6 hard fought games. with 1 or 2 going OT.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:55 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Should be a great series and nothing like last year. Both teams have added key players to their roster. But who ever come out on top (Ahhm buds) should win the east and play in the SCF.

It's gonna take the warriors to decide this one. Pretty boys and finess players stay home. It's officially a War with 7 battles.

Go LEAFS Go!

Old
04-22-2004, 02:09 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
What's with the racial slurs?

Old
04-22-2004, 06:16 AM
TheBudsForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Problem: Your argument that the Leafs aren't dirty focused around the 70s Flyers actually being dirty. Nice attempt at a diversion. The Flyers are no longer the Flyers of the 70s... Nowhere close. The "dirtiest" player on Philly might, MIGHT, be JR, and that's a relative term. Even Brashear can't be considered "dirty"... he is a true enforcer who goes about it the right way. Let's talk more about today...

To refute your claim, I shall begin by pointing out Domi's 208 PIM. Even if you say that's mostly fighting majors, I ask you: firstly, do clean players fight, and secondly, is it not true that players who typically fight are usually involved in some kind of face rubbing, slashing, or generally unsportsmanlike conduct which precipitates into said fighting? He is also one of the most disrespectful players I have ever seen toward referees. He always has his bert 'n ernie monobrow furled, and constantly mouthing off to refs about legit calls. Put that on top of the fact that I don't think I've seen anyone get away with leaving his feet to check as much as Domi. Watch for it. He is the master. He's not bad at the low hit either.

Re: Tucker. Don't try to sell me here. I am a long time Habs fan, and I know exactly who you got there. Sure, the guy seems to work hard, but he is reckless and dangerous with his stick. He is almost as bad as Domi when it comes to mouthing off at the drop of a hat. He's definitely as bad when it comes to bad checking... not limited to leaving his feet.

Now Marchement. He seems to be playing the mature card recently, but the guy already has enough history to label his style of hockey, even if he is pontified tomorrow. Roberts... well, not exactly dirty, but he throws the Gordie Howe elbow as well as anyone in corners and along the boards. How do we explain Wade Belak? A no one who doesn't come first to people's minds, but is a stick work master and "clutch to avoid getting beaten" guru.

Finally, look at the most hated players on each team thread. Do you think everyone's picking Domi and Tucker because the rip our teams up? No one is afraid of the pint-sized Domi, especially since his patented move is circling backwards away from other fighters, and Tucker doesn't score enough to be a legit scare to anyone. It doesn't mean they're doing their job getting under everyone's skin. Everyone simply disapproves of the type of hockey they play, and the fact that this type of play is condoned and celebrated in Toronto only gives strength to the "dirty Canadian-style hockey" debate.
Give me a break, I guarantee that a good 75% or better of the posters who talk about "dirty players" for starters, shut up about some of said players if they happen to join their favoured team. I absolutely guarantee that just about 99.99% of any Hab fan out there would be doing hand stands if Montreal somehow aquired Roberts to play for them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say, you're the one actually living Hab fan that wouldn't want him on your club on account of his alleged play because he's "Dirty" or almost dirty. I also guarantee that if somehow the Habs managed to acquire Bertuzzi, forget handstands, Hab fans would be renaming their first born after him ... and he's responsible for the dirtiest thing I have ever seen in recent hockey history.

Re Belak, please, the League has all kinds of Belaks in it. Montreal has had more than their fair share in the recent past. Some of them could barely skate .. made Belak look all world by comparison.

As far as the Leafs go, too many of you hypocrites are judging the current Leaf team by the light of the team that they might have been 3 years ago. Don't tell me about the past because it sure is being used to paint the current Leaf team. Honestly, I don't think there has been one really bad incident caused by an actual Leaf player at any time over the last 2 seasons. There have been none that I can recall this season. There were none in the series between the Flyers and Leafs last year, nor the series between the Leafs and Sens this year. So, in other words ... and to paraphrase your own, stop living in the past. The current Leaf team is full of class future Hall of Famers and some of them have actually won Lady Byng trophies as a Leaf ie. Mogilny.

As far as you go, most Hab fans I know are anti-leaf from birth, it's kind of like cats trying to live with dogs. Ergo, the fact that you can't escape the past comes as no surprise. Finally for the record, I actually cheered for Montreal to beat the Bruins ... why ? I'm a true Homer, if it can't be the Leafs, I hope that it is another Canadian team that can go all the way.

As far as stick work goes, name the last Leaf that carved somebody's eye ... you can't ... now compare that to the injuries sufferred by Berard as Leaf, Nolan this year and I believe Tucker as well ... in short, bad stickwork is rampant this year in the NHL, but the bulk of it is not coming from Leaf players.

O.K. I'm done on this topic ... so feel free to carp on about the "dirty Leaf team" for the next decade if you want.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever

"The "Flin Flon Bomber" also earned the despise of many as he is of course remembered for a vicious two handed slash on Soviet superstar Valeri Kharlamov's sore ankle, which caused him to miss the final game. Many have chastised Clarke for his dirty actions. It is a bit of a trademark image for Clarke, who was known as a gritty but sometimes dirty player who would do whatever it took for his team to win.

Clarke was once asked by famous hockey journalist Dick Beddoes about the slash. Clarke, in typical fashion, downplayed the "tap on his sore ankle" as a part of hockey. "If I hadn't learned to to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon.""

http://www.1972summitseries.com/clarke.html

His comments about how Roger Neilson [a real class guy in his time on thie Earth and in the NHL] went "goofy" after he returned from cancer treatment as being one of the reasons why Neilson wasn't allowed back behind the bench was about as crass as a GM can get IMHO.

Hey hotshot, I was born and raised in FLin FLon so lay off the BS references to my hometown. AND, if you were old enough to see the broadstreet bullies, you also seen the 72 series, if you are from Canada, I bet you were cheering to high hell when Bobby layed the slash, cause that is why we won. You are like Paul Henderson, thought it was awesome at the time and Bobby was a hero, but now it is easy to sit and criticize the dumb move. If so, shut it, if not I will shut it.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Hey hotshot, I was born and raised in FLin FLon so lay off the BS references to my hometown. AND, if you were old enough to see the broadstreet bullies, you also seen the 72 series, if you are from Canada, I bet you were cheering to high hell when Bobby layed the slash, cause that is why we won. You are like Paul Henderson, thought it was awesome at the time and Bobby was a hero, but now it is easy to sit and criticize the dumb move. If so, shut it, if not I will shut it.

I don't dislike the Flyers or their fans but when I found out the slash was premeditated, way back in the early 70s, I began a real hate for boooby clarke as a human being. His classy firing of Roger Neilson shows me he has never grown up beyond his nasty younger self. When I troll I will put aside my distaste for Clarke but your "defense" of boooby was not persuasive.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:18 AM
LEAF FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
I don't dislike the Flyers or their fans but when I found out the slash was premeditated, way back in the early 70s, I began a real hate for boooby clarke as a human being. His classy firing of Roger Neilson shows me he has never grown up beyond his nasty younger self. When I troll I will put aside my distaste for Clarke but your "defense" of boooby was not persuasive.

Bobby clark is the DEVIL in disguise.

No heart for any human being NEE Lindros and Neilson !!!

Old
04-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida

That slash was premeditated because his coach told him to do it, was it wrong yes, but at the time as a Canadian hockey fans we were loving it, so I can't judge it now because I know the facts. Every slash is premeditated, he is a guy who has the balls to admit it, so you must have a dislike for damn near every player in the leaugue that has ever slashed someone !!

Old
04-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF FAN
Bobby clark is the DEVIL in disguise.

No heart for any human being NEE Lindros and Neilson !!!
Lindros brought it upon himself with his disfunctional family breaking our GM's bean bag every day. When one of your player's fathers dictates hwo we should play and who we should draft or trade for, you too wouldn't care about the fate of the player. He was a big baby...period! Plus the fact that we gave up the whole team to get this clown expecting results and he didn't deliver gives us every reason to dump him.

Closed Thread