HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

for Saturday's game

Old
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
In Gillis We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Why? Didn't Demitra leave Minnesota because he doesn't like playing center on a defensive role?
I almost agree. Demitra should be playing wing in our best line-up and Wellwood will be the 3rd line Centre, unless a trade to upgrade our 3rd line C happens.

In regards to Demitra leaving Minnesota because he didn't like playing Centre in a defensive system. Well he was UFA anyways, so who knows? But AV's system is much different then Lemaire's. AV doesn't restrict his Centre's from leading the rush. It's more of an F1, F2, F3 system offensively and defensively too. Lemaire (IIRC) loves having his Centre very conservative offensively. Meaning the Centre is pretty much structured to play between the wingers and D-men in the offensive zone, and act as a 3rd D-men defensively. AV wants a 3rd man high offensively, but it's not restricted to being the Centre. It's the 3rd forward in, regardless of position.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
I almost agree. Demitra should be playing wing in our best line-up and Wellwood will be the 3rd line Centre, unless a trade to upgrade our 3rd line C happens.
Who do you take out?

I'd rather have Grabner and Bernier in our top 9 right now instead of Wellwood. Demitra wouldn't be on a checking line either. That would become a 3rd scoring line. A lot of the time the Sedins match head to head against the other team's top line because they're so good at controlling the puck that the other team's #1 unit doesn't get much time with it.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
In a perfect world:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Grabner
Samuelsson - Demitra - Bernier
Hansen - Rypien - Glass
Not enough small skill. Take out glass or rypien and add shirikov

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Who do you take out?

I'd rather have Grabner and Bernier in our top 9 right now instead of Wellwood. Demitra wouldn't be on a checking line either. That would become a 3rd scoring line. A lot of the time the Sedins match head to head against the other team's top line because they're so good at controlling the puck that the other team's #1 unit doesn't get much time with it.
Grabner for sure. He's waiver ineligible. He'll be here next year but barring another injury to Demitra, Raymond, Burrows or Daniel, I doubt he'll be back this year. He was great with Kesler and Raymond, and that's good news for next year when that's his job to lose, but that's Demitra's and Samuelsson's spot now to fight for.

There's always injuries, but here's what I think AV would do with if there weren't.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Demitra
Samuelsson-Wellwood-Bernier
Glass-Johnson-Rypien

Demitra and Samuelsson could flip-flop. It may actually make more sense to have Demitra play with Wellwood 5 on 5 and Samuelsson to stay with Kesler and Raymond and potentially have closer to a 2a/2b situation (and Lefty satying LW and righty staying RW). Demitra being back is Wellwood's benefit either way you look at it. He has some offense with him finally, even if Demitra and Sammy swap.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Moore Money

I'm done trying to guess line combos. It seems like the most logical thing to do is never done with this management. For all we know Hansen will be in the press box and Rypien will be on the 2nd line.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:53 PM
crazyforhockey

Ideally for me
Sedins,Burr
Raymond,Kesler,Grabner
Demitra.Wellwood,Sammy..would love Tkachuck in wellwood's spot.Demo,Tkachuck,Samy
Glass,Rypien,Bernier

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:00 AM
NuxFan09

I would be surprised if they didn't look like this:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Demitra
Bernier - Wellwood - Samuelsson
Hordichuk - Bolduc - Rypien

It seems logical that Demitra would join Raymond and Kesler on the 2nd line. Hey MAY start on the 3rd line to ease him in but I think he should just be inserted into the top 6 right away. We need his scoring touch.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'm done trying to guess line combos. It seems like the most logical thing to do is never done with this management. For all we know Hansen will be in the press box and Rypien will be on the 2nd line.
THIS.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:59 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
If this is the opposide of "the most logical thing to do" perhaps you can explain what Hansen has done in his latest stint to prove that he deserves a spot in the lineup over the players he is competing with for ice time (D. Sedin, Burrows, Raymond, Samuelsson, Glass, Demitra)?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:00 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
If this is the opposide of "the most logical thing to do" perhaps you can explain what Hansen has done in his latest stint to prove that he deserves a spot in the lineup over the players he is competing with for ice time (D. Sedin, Burrows, Raymond, Samuelsson, Glass, Demitra)?
I thought he was competing with useless players like Hordichuk

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Glass-Wellwood-Demitra
Hordichuk-Rypien-Hansen

with Bolduc and Bernier out, those are all the forwards in place... can't see them calling up anyone (like Grabner), especially with Demitra now ready to go.

once Bernier and Johnson are back:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier
Glass-Johnson-Rypien

Hordichuk will probably get more time than Hansen at this point... seems like AV just has no love for Hansen. His time with his organization looks to be coming to an end unfortunately. I still think he has some solid upside and could be a valuable player for this team, but I'm not seeing the fit with AV.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=145

I told you guys before, he isn't someone they are looking to keep/play.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:43 AM
BoHorvatFan

It's nice to see Demitra back! he really completes the second line along with Kes and Raymond.

Speed on the forcheck and a gifted finisher to compliment the two.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Glass-Wellwood-Demitra
Hordichuk-Rypien-Hansen

with Bolduc and Bernier out, those are all the forwards in place... can't see them calling up anyone (like Grabner), especially with Demitra now ready to go.

once Bernier and Johnson are back:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier
Glass-Johnson-Rypien

Hordichuk will probably get more time than Hansen at this point... seems like AV just has no love for Hansen. His time with his organization looks to be coming to an end unfortunately. I still think he has some solid upside and could be a valuable player for this team, but I'm not seeing the fit with AV.
I dont know about getting Johnson back into the lineup, he seems to have an off-year so far, especially on the PK.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
It's a pretty well established fact that AV likes to put gritty players on the fourth line.

Say what you will about Jannik's broken hand in the preseason, he just does not fit that bill. The guy has 8 hits in 22 games, compare that with Rick Rypien (60 in 40), Darcy Hordichuk (73 in 32) or Tanner Glass (104 in 43) and I think you can see why Hansen doesn't fit there - at least, not with the way he chooses to play.

Old
01-16-2010, 03:03 AM
alternate

Quote:
It's a pretty well established fact that AV likes to put gritty players on the fourth line.

Say what you will about Jannik's broken hand in the preseason, he just does not fit that bill. The guy has 8 hits in 22 games, compare that with Rick Rypien (60 in 40), Darcy Hordichuk (73 in 32) or Tanner Glass (104 in 43) and I think you can see why Hansen doesn't fit there - at least, not with the way he chooses to play.
and as much as we all kick Hordichuck around (myself as much as anyone), giving credit where credit is due, Hordy has been playing solid hockey of late. He's played better than Hansen has since Hansen drew back into the line-up imo.

Bernier getting hurt might be the lucky break Hansen needs if he does indeed see 3rd line duty with Demitra-Wellwood. but me thinks Hansen has to make an impact vs da Pens, or else he might not get another as a Canuck.

Wellwood is in the same boat. He's in a scoring slump, part of which he has played absolutely dreadful, but imo he's picked it up the past two games, even without seeing results. But if he can't put up some offense with Demitra, then, yup, as much as I love the phat cat, time to upgrade the 3C (sorry, don't see Demitra as much of an upgrade at centre).

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

i think its okay to have a bit of skill on the fourth line, and we have Glass and Rypien for toughness. Hordichuk is totally waivable!

Old
01-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Wetcoaster

The top two lines remain intact.

Demitra is slated to play on the third line with Wellwood. Initially Bernier was to play with them but he aggravated his groin injury and left practise. Bernier is not expected to play so Hansen joins them.
Quote:
Pavol Demitra fully participated in practice this morning and looks ready to make his 2009.10 season debut after off-season shoulder surgery sidelined him for the first 47 games.

“I’m excited,” said Demitra, who underwent two operations to repair front and back rotator cuff tears. “I finally I got a line, and got to play with the guys, it’s a good feeling. The last couple days I’ve felt great on the ice and just going to see how it goes tomorrow morning in the skate.”
Tanner Glass who dropped down on a grinding unit with Rick Rypien and Darcy Hordichuk.

If all goes well tomorrow, the 34 year-old Slovak will join a line with Kyle Wellwood and Jannik Hansen.

“My hope is that if I get to play with [Demitra] that he starts getting some goals, putting up points and that I get to keep him on my line,” said Wellwood. “He’s got a great shot, good passer, and he’s quick.”
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm...id=van-more-cr

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The top two lines remain intact.

Demitra is slated to play on the third line with Wellwood. Initially Bernier was to play with them but he aggravated his groin injury and left practise. Bernier is not expected to play so Hansen joins them.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm...id=van-more-cr
can the canucks afford Demitra capwise?

Old
01-16-2010, 04:02 AM
opendoor

Quote:
can the canucks afford Demitra capwise?
With Johnson on LTIR, yes. When Johnson returns from LTIR they can put Bieksa on. If Bieksa returns in the regular season, then they may have a little shuffling to do.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
bpoulsen

Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
Quote:

Well I think he got the message being sent the press box. He had three hits in his first game back and one in Minnesota, so that's 4 in the last 2 games. Same as Tanner Glass and Rypien.. hordichuk has 3 in the last two games...

bpoulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
and as much as we all kick Hordichuck around (myself as much as anyone), giving credit where credit is due, Hordy has been playing solid hockey of late. He's played better than Hansen has since Hansen drew back into the line-up imo.
Darcy's been doing his job for awhile now. It's rare that he's going to get noticed for it, but it's a role that AV feels we need and DH has been getting it done (and no more) for a couple of months now.

Quote:
Bernier getting hurt might be the lucky break Hansen needs if he does indeed see 3rd line duty with Demitra-Wellwood. but me thinks Hansen has to make an impact vs da Pens, or else he might not get another as a Canuck.
I could see Hansen being dangled for a trade to a team that doesn't have the same kind of depth on the wings as us - he's a low-salaried reasonably skilled player that should be able to slot into an NHL team's "middle six" with a bit of seasoning.. and on a team that isn't anxious to make up ground in the standings and to make noise in the playoffs this year, I think it would be worth the investment to give him more of a chance than the Canucks have.

Quote:
Wellwood is in the same boat. He's in a scoring slump, part of which he has played absolutely dreadful, but imo he's picked it up the past two games, even without seeing results. But if he can't put up some offense with Demitra, then, yup, as much as I love the phat cat, time to upgrade the 3C (sorry, don't see Demitra as much of an upgrade at centre).
Wellwood is lucky - even if Demitra was a clear upgrade at center, who's to say that he won't destroy his shoulder the next time he tries to take a slap shot or gets ridden into the boards?

I'd go as far as to say that unless we make a trade that brings back a center this season (a center that isn't a clear Johnson replacement) Kyle will remain on the roster for the rest of the year.

Quote:
i think its okay to have a bit of skill on the fourth line, and we have Glass and Rypien for toughness. Hordichuk is totally waivable!
I disagree. Hansen's game wouldn't really suit his fourth line mates either and he's not nearly effective enough to do anything without help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Well I think he got the message being sent the press box. He had three hits in his first game back and one in Minnesota, so that's 4 in the last 2 games. Same as Tanner Glass and Rypien.. hordichuk has 3 in the last two games...
I hope so. We'll see if it's for real, or if it's just Hansen's latest spurt of productivity in the first handful of games back in the lineup that precedes a long stretch of ineffectiveness.

Old
01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
****in' Demitra! I HATE that guy, we'll see how he can handle the 3rd line. Could be a welcome addition.

Also... WHY did Vin-yo put Rypien on the second line they other day? I understand wanting some energy and grit but he totally threw a wrench into every offensive foray.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
With Johnson on LTIR, yes. When Johnson returns from LTIR they can put Bieksa on. If Bieksa returns in the regular season, then they may have a little shuffling to do.
They should be fine, LTIR is retroactive and with Bieksa and Johnson being out for such a long time it definitely saves us some $'s. Was Daniel put on LTIR?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:38 PM
One Trick Pony*

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Wellwood-Hansen
Hordichuk-Rypien-Glass

Mitchell-Salo
Lukowich-Ehrhoff
Edler-O'Brien

My guess at least.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:38 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
Different players fill different roles.

Do you think Hansen can fill Hordichuk's role?

Hence why he listed the players Hansen was competing with.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote