HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Steen to Vancouver

Old
01-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Steen to Vancouver

What is it going to take for Alex Steen to get traded to Vancouver before the deadline on March 3,2010?

Is he even available? While, you do have to say that almost anyone is available but its just what you get in return

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:18 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Corey Schnieder oughta do it.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
The way Steener has been playing, Schnieder and a 2nd would do it.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:40 AM
MTechnik
Showtime

We don't need need more forwards in Vancouver.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluninja View Post
We don't need need more forwards in Vancouver.
last i checked, Alex Steen can play center, and very well center a third line when needed.

Kyle Wellwood is too inconsistent to be relied upon as a third line center. esp. in a playoff series, or down the stretch in the regular season when you're crawling for points.

the Canucks have very little depth at center, esp. when they want to roll three lines with legitimate threats out

Old
01-16-2010, 12:53 AM
MTechnik
Showtime

Pavel Demitra

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I think Schneider for Ian Cole would be a better deal

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
last i checked, Alex Steen can play center, and very well center a third line when needed.

Kyle Wellwood is too inconsistent to be relied upon as a third line center. esp. in a playoff series, or down the stretch in the regular season when you're crawling for points.

the Canucks have very little depth at center, esp. when they want to roll three lines with legitimate threats out
meh, I don't see Steen as the type of addition we really need. if we're going to upgrade on Wellwood, it can't be of the "a bit better Wellwood" variety. We need a big, physical C who is solid defensively and good on the draw. and if he came complete with previous chemistry with Demitra, that would be even better.

I wonder if St. Louis has anyone that fits that bill.....

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:29 AM
God
Free Citizen

No to Schneider for Steen...

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Spamhuis

canucks don't need to make a trade

Spamhuis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
meh, I don't see Steen as the type of addition we really need. if we're going to upgrade on Wellwood, it can't be of the "a bit better Wellwood" variety. We need a big, physical C who is solid defensively and good on the draw. and if he came complete with previous chemistry with Demitra, that would be even better.

I wonder if St. Louis has anyone that fits that bill.....
u may be thinking of the name michal handzus

Old
01-16-2010, 05:50 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
The way Steener has been playing, Schnieder and a 2nd would do it.
With H.Sedin and Kesler centering the top 6, and Hodgson coming up soon, Steen would practically be a rental. Yes, the Canucks need a 3rd line center right now, but not desperately enough to give up a potential top 10 goalie as well as a 2nd rounder.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:03 AM
solitary

Haha, he was thinking of Keith Tkachuk

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:05 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
With H.Sedin and Kesler centering the top 6, and Hodgson coming up soon, Steen would practically be a rental. Yes, the Canucks need a 3rd line center right now, but not desperately enough to give up a potential top 10 goalie as well as a 2nd rounder.
We don't have a second rounder to give up this year. I'd hope Gillis has more regard for second round picks than Dave Nonis.

EDIT: By that I mean, giving them away every year for rentals. I know it was Gillis who traded it for Bernier.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Ah...you've got a former Leaf prospect on your hands there. You won't get offered anything close to value on these boards I'm afraid. Good thing these boards are not real life eh?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Ah...you've got a former Leaf prospect on your hands there. You won't get offered anything close to value on these boards I'm afraid. Good thing these boards are not real life eh?
this has nothing to do with the Leafs, so get over it. The hockey world does not revolve around the Toronto Maple Leafs. Steen is now a Blue, and his value will be that of how he's performed as a Blue, not a Leaf.

And he's just not the type of player that the Canucks need... he can play center, but then so can Demitra. Is he any bit of an upgrade over Demitra?

He's not having a great season and didn't have a great season last year either... he's poor on faceoffs... and he comes with a $1.7mill qualifier after this season, while filling a role the Canucks don't need beyond this season, while they already have a couple bodies that can fill that role as well or better than him this season.

Add it up and he's not worth it for the Canucks at all - and it's got NOTHING to do with being a former Leaf.

I'd rather give up a 2nd for Matt Stajan at this point than Steen... hell, I'd rather just hold on to that useless former Leaf we already have to fill that spot, since he's not playing any worse than Steen has this year.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
this has nothing to do with the Leafs, so get over it. The hockey world does not revolve around the Toronto Maple Leafs. Steen is now a Blue, and his value will be that of how he's performed as a Blue, not a Leaf.

And he's just not the type of player that the Canucks need... he can play center, but then so can Demitra. Is he any bit of an upgrade over Demitra?

He's not having a great season and didn't have a great season last year either... he's poor on faceoffs... and he comes with a $1.7mill qualifier after this season, while filling a role the Canucks don't need beyond this season, while they already have a couple bodies that can fill that role as well or better than him this season.

Add it up and he's not worth it for the Canucks at all - and it's got NOTHING to do with being a former Leaf.

I'd rather give up a 2nd for Matt Stajan at this point than Steen... hell, I'd rather just hold on to that useless former Leaf we already have to fill that spot, since he's not playing any worse than Steen has this year.
You can't really look at Steens numbers on St. Louis. He is used in a checking role and has done well for St Louis this year, in fact I think a lot of Blues fans want him resigned so while yes, he may not have good numbers, he has been playing pretty well this year.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 01:56 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:

The upgrade from Wellwood to Steen does not justify Schneider and/or a pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
You can't really look at Steens numbers on St. Louis. He is used in a checking role and has done well for St Louis this year, in fact I think a lot of Blues fans want him resigned so while yes, he may not have good numbers, he has been playing pretty well this year.
Sounds a bit like the arguments defending Wellwood's lack of production.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
The hockey world does not revolve around the Toronto Maple Leafs.
LOL. OK.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
I beg to differ. Steen is quietly producing on the third line. Last I checked, he was doing better this season than last point-wise.

He plays wing with McClemment playing center and taking the majority of face-offs. Steen takes them if he gets the boot.

Don't forget, he isn't playing with Mats Sundin anymore, perhaps that is the reason for his 'poor seasons' the past two years...

EDIT: Steen has 17 points in 32 games played. That's good for 0.53 ppg. Playing on the third line of a team in 13th position in the Western Conference. I think that is pretty good numbers. I don't know if Steen would be enough of an upgrade, especially if your looking for a center, to justify trading for him. But to say he is having a poor season, or isn't producing, or has bad numbers is incorrect.

Last edited by bluemandan: 01-16-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added stats, expanded on theme
bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

3rd rounder

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Tarot Sport*

Can we wait until we see how Demitra looks before you make another one of these threads?

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Sport View Post
Can we wait until we see how Demitra looks before you make another one of these threads?
how does Demo have anything to do with this? Demita is a winger, he doesn't even like playing center

yes, he only played center last year because Sundin wasn't there yet. you also don't get someone getting off from a major shoulder injury to play center and take faceoffs

does Demita look like somebody that wants to take on all the defensive responsibilities of a center

Old
01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
how does Demo have anything to do with this? Demita is a winger, he doesn't even like playing center

yes, he only played center last year because Sundin wasn't there yet. you also don't get someone getting off from a major shoulder injury to play center and take faceoffs

does Demita look like somebody that wants to take on all the defensive responsibilities of a center
Demitra played center last year, and years before that on the Blues as well if I'm not mistaken.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

Demitra's said already that he has no problems playing center... just didn't like playing center in Lemaire's system... and it's not like he's ever looked out of place at center... he basically looks the same on either wing and center.

He's still not the ideal 3rd line center for this team, but he's no less ideal than a guy like Steen.

Steen is horrible on faceoffs... he's been playing left wing all year in STL as well... how exactly does he address the 3rd line center spot any more than Demitra does?

At this point, the best option for center is Wellwood, with Demitra on wing. If the Canucks can actually obtain a 3rd line rental center who's actually good on faceoffs and can help the PK, I'm all for it... Steen isn't the answer... not only is he weak on draws, but he's a RFA, and the Canucks have no need to give up assets based on anything more than a depth rental this year.

The 5 guys I've had in mind for some time: Belanger, Cullen, Halpern, Stajan and Moore - likely in that order as well... all rentals, all on non-playoff teams, all capable of playing the 3rd line center role effectively.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote