HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Being a defenceman

Old
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
RaoulDuke2k

vCash: 500
I play forward on my team, but get put on defense occasionally. I think one underrated skill is just starting the rush out of your zone and making the good first pass. I notice the more mobile defensemen can skate the puck out of trouble deep and really jumpstart the transition game.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke2k View Post
I play forward on my team, but get put on defense occasionally. I think one underrated skill is just starting the rush out of your zone and making the good first pass. I notice the more mobile defensemen can skate the puck out of trouble deep and really jumpstart the transition game.
Yup ... I am happy to be one of those who make good puck decisions and am a great passer like that.

In fact i was stuck on defense because the guys we were playing with had a hard time making that first good pass which made for ugly hockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
You need to read the play better and pick and choose when you go deep or join the rush.

If your a smart hockey player it will come with experience back there.
I'm hoping that's the case...

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
So last year was my first year playing defence after playing forward my entire life...I thought it went well but one thing I did to much was jump into the play and I had a tendency to not get back on defence.

I still think I helped my team a lot more then I hurt them, but how can you still put up points and play mainly defence?

Does it just come with experience? Also are there any other helpful tips you guys have for me?
Well, playing defense is like playing a game within a game. In fact, as you know, a hockey line is made up of three different teams within the line. The first team is the forward line which really consists of three forwards. the second team is the defensive pair and the last one is the goalie. In order to be successful all three teams need to work in tandum to get the job done.

One of the hardest position to play is defense. Why? Because this is where your fastest and best skaters should be. They have to have the ability to skate backwards just as fast as someone skating forwards at them. They need to understand how to read and react to the play and understand how to make the approaching forward to go in the direction or areas that you want the forward to go.

One of the most important thing you can have working with you is a defensive partner that knows how to mirror your move and vise a versa. Plus, you need to know how to make your breakout play passes perfect and tape to tape. Read and reacting to on coming forwards as you breakout of your zone will help you determine if you are doing to play defense or if you are going to move the puck up on the rush.

However, it's going to depend on your coach or player coach, what type of breakout strategy, you are going to use. For me, I give the freedom of allowing my defensemen to take the puck up on the rush all the time. It adds another demension to the game and adds a little confusion to the attacking line while you are doing the breakout.

However, once you get into the attacking zone on the rush, either make the pass, get the shot off or regroup within the attacking zone. Once you have complete control of the puck within the attacking zone and you can pass the puck to set up a scoring opportunity...get it done and get back.

if you would like more tips of playing defense, send me a PM and I will get back with you. Hope some of this helped.

Head coach

01-20-2010, 10:11 AM
RaoulDuke2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

One of the hardest position to play is defense. Why? Because this is where your fastest and best skaters should be.

Head coach
This is a great point - ironically, in rec league you'll get some of the weakest skaters on D.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's especially frustrating when you have to pair up the weak and strong skaters on D...so the strong guys hang back to cover the weak. Summer league was fun because we just loaded up on great skaters on D.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote