HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beer, It Does a Body Good

Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

vCash: 500
Just found a bomber of Life and Limb at a local six pack shop in Pittsburgh.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Brooklyn summer is good. I tried it when I was back east a few weeks ago. Also enjoyed some Magic Hat #9. Also tried an American Pale Ale from Bronx brewery, which was pretty good.

If you like the summer ales, on a more west-coast-note, I heartily recommend the following summer ales/Kolsch-style ales:

Alaskan Summer Ale

Anchor Summer Beer

and my favorite:
Mission Brewery Blonde (Kolsch-style ale)
Mmm that Anchor look good. I think I've had a wheat beer of theirs before, on the recommendation of a friend of mine who moved out to San Fran. Never heard of Mission Brewery before, but the description they have of that brew on their website sounds awesome: "With the color of a pilsner and the character of an ale, our blonde settles into the realm of restorative. Endowed with an authentic Kolsch yeast strain for a peck of fruitiness that compliments the blend of noble hops. Lager-like with its delicate dryness, it really is redolent of ales from Koln, Germany." (If it can be described as lager-like and kind of German-tasting, I'm probably into it haha.)

Side note: Anyone in here who lives in the Rochester area should check out MacGregors some time if you can. They keep around 60 beers on tap (lot of locals, and a lot of my personal favorite Great Lakes), which they rotate seasonally. Good prices too.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Mmm that Anchor look good. I think I've had a wheat beer of theirs before, on the recommendation of a friend of mine who moved out to San Fran. Never heard of Mission Brewery before, but the description they have of that brew on their website sounds awesome: "With the color of a pilsner and the character of an ale, our blonde settles into the realm of restorative. Endowed with an authentic Kolsch yeast strain for a peck of fruitiness that compliments the blend of noble hops. Lager-like with its delicate dryness, it really is redolent of ales from Koln, Germany." (If it can be described as lager-like and kind of German-tasting, I'm probably into it haha.)

Side note: Anyone in here who lives in the Rochester area should check out MacGregors some time if you can. They keep around 60 beers on tap (lot of locals, and a lot of my personal favorite Great Lakes), which they rotate seasonally. Good prices too.
Great Lakes is available in bottles and if your local Wegman's has a "Beers of the World" section they should be available in the "make your own 6 pack" area ....

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Great Lakes is available in bottles and if your local Wegman's has a "Beers of the World" section they should be available in the "make your own 6 pack" area ....

I don't live near any Wegmans anymore
I moved down to Virginia, so I'm pretty much stuck with Kroger.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Brooklyn summer is good. I tried it when I was back east a few weeks ago. Also enjoyed some Magic Hat #9. Also tried an American Pale Ale from Bronx brewery, which was pretty good.

If you like the summer ales, on a more west-coast-note, I heartily recommend the following summer ales/Kolsch-style ales:

Alaskan Summer Ale

Anchor Summer Beer

and my favorite:
Mission Brewery Blonde (Kolsch-style ale)
Nothing beats a cold Kölsch on a summer day!

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I don't live near any Wegmans anymore
I moved down to Virginia, so I'm pretty much stuck with Kroger.
Wegman's is into Maryland. You never know, they may be into VA sooner rather than later.

07-24-2012, 10:13 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

For those who enjoy a darker stout, I present:

Aroma has hints of malt, cocoa and even tobacco. Tastes like chocolate, dark coffee and smoked tobacco towards the finish. Freaking amazing.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Clock

A lotta summer ales lately. I'm still chipping away at the beer from my 30th birthday party.

One thing I might have to grab if I see it is more Dead Guy Ale. This is important.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
DaMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Wegman's is into Maryland. You never know, they may be into VA sooner rather than later.
When i lived in Baltimore, Wegman's was a lifesaver. Looks like they're in Fairfax, VA now as well.

As semi-binge-drinking broke college student, what's your favorite go-to cheap beer? Usually a fan of PBR, but have to put up with lots of hipster taunts, but it's better than drinking Keystone or Natty.

Beers I've had that I've liked: Resin, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Newcastle, Smithwicks Saranac IPA, Great Lakes Conway Irish Ale, Guinness, Moosehead, Blue, Blue Light, National Bohemian (cheap yet delicious if you're in MD, great with crabs), Little Kings Cream Ale, Hudy, Burger (last few are cheap Cincinnati beers)

Also found $25 dollars on the ground the other day (I kid you not) so looking to splurge on something a little tastier this weekend than the usual stuff. The local corner market that doesn't look too closely at my id has a pretty good selection so I'm looking at Anchor Summer Beer, or Dogfish Head or Bell's Oberon. Leaning towards the Anchor right now.

DaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
sabrefan27

For anyone in Rochester, a new Belgian Beer Bar opened on East Ave across from Temple and Sallingers. Very good beer selection, and I had some awesome mussels and fries. It's called Victoire. Definitely recommend.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Yet thy can't go east of Syracuse for sOme reason. ********. I/k love u wegmans.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Yet thy can't go east of Syracuse for sOme reason. ********. I/k love u wegmans.
Massachusetts is east of Syracuse....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
For those who enjoy a darker stout, I present:

Aroma has hints of malt, cocoa and even tobacco. Tastes like chocolate, dark coffee and smoked tobacco towards the finish. Freaking amazing.
Dang, that sounds good. This is one of my favorite stouts:

Fun activity for anyone who enjoys both desserts and beer: chocolate stout cupcakes, which this is perfect for. If anyone's interested, I can post the recipe.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Stout ice cream floats make an excellent dessert for a summer BBQ

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMoose View Post
When i lived in Baltimore, Wegman's was a lifesaver. Looks like they're in Fairfax, VA now as well.

As semi-binge-drinking broke college student, what's your favorite go-to cheap beer? Usually a fan of PBR, but have to put up with lots of hipster taunts, but it's better than drinking Keystone or Natty.

Beers I've had that I've liked: Resin, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Newcastle, Smithwicks Saranac IPA, Great Lakes Conway Irish Ale, Guinness, Moosehead, Blue, Blue Light, National Bohemian (cheap yet delicious if you're in MD, great with crabs), Little Kings Cream Ale, Hudy, Burger (last few are cheap Cincinnati beers)

Also found $25 dollars on the ground the other day (I kid you not) so looking to splurge on something a little tastier this weekend than the usual stuff. The local corner market that doesn't look too closely at my id has a pretty good selection so I'm looking at Anchor Summer Beer, or Dogfish Head or Bell's Oberon. Leaning towards the Anchor right now.
Welcome!!

Any dude who allocates found money to quality beer is authentically qualified for this thread.

And, in related news, tonight I tasted draft pints of Ithaca beer co. Flower Power IPA. Heaven. Challenges Ranger IPA and Southern Tier IPA as a taste favorite of mine...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Massachusetts is east of Syracuse....
Yeah in Worcester! Thanks a lot Chain that really helps me out.

Anyways, just had an Apricot Ale from Middle Ages brewing co. It was quite delicious.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A lotta summer ales lately. I'm still chipping away at the beer from my 30th birthday party.

One thing I might have to grab if I see it is more Dead Guy Ale. This is important.
Swing by our wine bar on a Wednesday (dVine in Lockport). We have it on tap and I'll give you a belated pint of BDay present. It is a great beer, really well crafted. One of my favorites.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

They have a 2nd location now on Maple in Amherst. Don't recall the exact number of taps (think it was in the neighborhood of 80). Things got foggy after the first dozen or so samples.

Blue Monk on Elmwood is also a great beer spot. Gastro Pub with a large selection of crafts and European beers on tap.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Yeah in Worcester! Thanks a lot Chain that really helps me out.

Anyways, just had an Apricot Ale from Middle Ages brewing co. It was quite delicious.
I'm here to help.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

I have seen you guys give high praise to Dogfish Head Brewery ales in here, so I thought I would give them a try. Unfortunately the local liquor store didn't have 90 IPA so I got the 60 they did have and it's still pretty good.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Heading down to 3 Floyds Brewpub in Indiana tonight. Been there before but one of my friends is leaving Chicago soon so we are hitting it up before he leaves.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:41 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Bumping this after >1 year... The Bills seem to be on pace to my perrennial 5-11 prediction, I won't be able to watch another hockey game until Sat. night, and it seems pointless to me to hash over the Sabres same-old, same-old. So...

Had a few pints of Ranger IPA draft Friday night - still my favorite.

In the fridge, I am almost halfway through a Saranac holiday variety 12-pack; their White IPA is quite good.

I also saw B.B. King this past Saturday night, as an early birthday present from my GF.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
whiplash

Soooooo much Natty Ice was consumed after that Bills game...

I have a 6 pack of Flying Bison Aviator Red my friend brought back from Buffalo but I wasn't going to waste it on that outcome. It'll go well with some winter grillin' later this week

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
aceface33

We just got Bells distribution here in Upstate NY and I tried their Winter White Ale the other night. Holy hell, that was some next level ****, soooo good.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:42 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Bumping this after >1 year... The Bills seem to be on pace to my perrennial 5-11 prediction, I won't be able to watch another hockey game until Sat. night, and it seems pointless to me to hash over the Sabres same-old, same-old. So...

Had a few pints of Ranger IPA draft Friday night - still my favorite.

In the fridge, I am almost halfway through a Saranac holiday variety 12-pack; their White IPA is quite good.

I also saw B.B. King this past Saturday night, as an early birthday present from my GF.
Despite not being as...well...mobile as he used to be, the King still puts on a hell of a show. Saw him a few years back and he was talking about getting old and his drummer made a crack, and he turned to him and said, "Boy, do you know what it's like to get stabbed? I'm happy to learn ya." It was hilarious.

My brothers and I split an American Beauty over Thanksgiving. It's a Grateful Dead tribute beer. Pretty good.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote