HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're good at this losing thing | Sharks win, 4-2

Old
01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
darenshan54

vCash: 500
I really like gagner, he as improved so much... next year he'll be a likely candidate for #1 centre

Penner/Hall/MPS Gagner Hemsky

darenshan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
semenko27

With Hemmer out, the lack of true top 6 forwards really has come through.

semenko27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Well then, I'm definitely with Coco.

It's so ridiculous how the Oilers bet on the wrong player... even though they agree with me, my friends are starting to get annoyed with my rants about the Oilers choosing Horcoff over Smyth.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Oh, Gawd.

Brown and Tencer talking about acquiring a goalie for the last 10 minutes.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
TigerWoo

I'll be so PI**ED if they get a goalie who helps out during this stretch run.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Oh, Gawd.

Brown and Tencer talking about acquiring a goalie for the last 10 minutes.
Yup. Preceded by something like "I don't want to throw JDD or DD under the bus because they're young players"... I guess Gagner doesn't qualify as young when it comes to bus-chucking.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Definitely one of the best games of the season for Gagner and POS.

I don't think I've ever seen Sully battle along the boards that much.

And Dubnyk did have one nice save.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
OmegaTheory

I forgot the game was erlier lol. Didn't miss much though I guess. lol

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Yup. Preceded by something like "I don't want to throw JDD or DD under the bus because they're young players"... I guess Gagner doesn't qualify as young when it comes to bus-chucking.
I'm with them when it comes to all the Gagner talk. He may be young, but he's got plenty of NHL games under his belt. He really does need to step up his game. He did play well tonight, but he needs to play that way more consistently before he gets annointed as being a real #1 center.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Definitely one of the best games of the season for Gagner and POS.

I don't think I've ever seen Sully battle along the boards that much.

And Dubnyk did have one nice save.
I can't help but wonder if he keeps up his play if he'll be gone at the deadline.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:58 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think we are peaking tooe early for the daed last spot
Still think we'll draft 8-10? That would take a minor miracle at this point

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
I'm with them when it comes to all the Gagner talk. He may be young, but he's got plenty of NHL games under his belt. He really does need to step up his game. He did play well tonight, but he needs to play that way more consistently before he gets annointed as being a real #1 center.
I don't disagree with you. The point is, who exactly is saying Gagner needs to be the #1C? He's 20 years old, he's still learning, he's inconsistent. Horcoff, on the other hand, is a Corsian Wonder, 31, and is earning $5.5M a year. The two players are not comparable in this discussion. Which is why I'm saying Tencer is unreasonably deflecting criticism of Horcoff onto Gagner.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
He's had zero help or supporting cast from day one. It's laughable that Tencer and rest of the media goons are pointing the finger at the kid.

Point the finger at your beloved Oilers for crafting a garbage hockey team.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. The point is, who exactly is saying Gagner needs to be the #1C? He's 20 years old, he's still learning, he's inconsistent. Horcoff, on the other hand, is a Corsian Wonder, 31, and is earning $5.5M a year. The two players are not comparable in this discussion. Which is why I'm saying Tencer is unreasonably deflecting criticism of Horcoff onto Gagner.
Ok. Well,,,,,yeah. That's a fair point, for sure.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Horcoff has been the Oilers organization's boi since the moment Smyth was traded. All criticism of the guy is qualified as unfounded.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
CantHaveTkachev
CraigsOnIt

I'd love to know the viewer ratings of these games now...probably behind replays of Poker After Dark

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Quote:
I'd like to know how many #1 centers in the league are 20? Gagner will be one some day but don't expect it for at least 3 more years. Hence why Horcoff is still here, he'll be moved when Gagner is ready and Horcoff's actual pay is lower then his cap hit.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
I agree, throwing Gagner under the bus in order to avoid talking about how bad Horcoff has been playing is totally unjustified especially considering the fact that Gagner has outplayed Horcoff despite being a very young player who's still learning the game. I can't stand how these veteran guys get a free pass by the media, Quinn is the only one speaking his mind about what the real deal is with this team.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He's had zero help or supporting cast from day one. It's laughable that Tencer and rest of the media goons are pointing the finger at the kid.
He's been playing with Penner for much of the season. That's more support than a guy like O'Sullivan has been getting....I'm just saying...

And speaking of Penner....what the hell is going on there? Besides nothing I mean....He's skating like he's got cement in his skates and just not looking good at all.

I like the way Patty O and Gagner both have been playing through this horrible stretch of games - but I really question the desire of a guy like Penner. Things are going badly so he doesn't feel like wasting his energy out there? I don't know what's going on with Dustin P, but I'm not impressed with the downward turn of his game at all.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
He's been playing with Penner for much of the season. That's more support than a guy like O'Sullivan has been getting....I'm just saying...

And speaking of Penner....what the hell is going on there? Besides nothing I mean....He's skating like he's got cement in his skates and just not looking good at all.

I like the way Patty O and Gagner both have been playing through this horrible stretch of games - but I really question the desire of a guy like Penner. Things are going badly so he doesn't feel like wasting his energy out there? I don't know what's going on with Dustin P, but I'm not impressed with the downward turn of his game at all.
Sam got off to a hot start after beginning the year on the 4th line and then tailed off as the illnesses and injuries started compounding. Penner's production has come to a crawl but I saw the Penner from the beginning of the season in the Penguins game. He's still got a competitive fire going, but it's got to be tough to keep it lit with all of this losing going on.

Speaking of injuries, that brings me to Hemsky: After his injury, I was a proponent of maybe moving him but I definitely see how wrong I was now. They need his points and they need his skill and flair badly.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Sayuri

I fully agree with the frustration towards the organization and the media in regards to dealing with certain issues. The most pressing being our "veterans". At this point I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm on board with the good draft pick plan and I'm happy with going for a full scale rebuild but I worry about the people in charge here and whether or not they will be able to let go of old friends and do what's best for this team going forward.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
here is a question for some of ya

ESPN says the oilers are on a 7 game losing streak and TSN says it is at 4

who is right

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Just curious, but why do you guys think Quinn played POS with Moreau and Dorkoff today...was it because he came out in the news and said he had good chemistry with Potulny? Just wondering.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
I fully agree with the frustration towards the organization and the media in regards to dealing with certain issues. The most pressing being our "veterans". At this point I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm on board with the good draft pick plan and I'm happy with going for a full scale rebuild but I worry about the people in charge here and whether or not they will be able to let go of old friends and do what's best for this team going forward.
If their rationale behind building up the vets is so that they don't get thrown under the bus before a potential trade then I'm all for BSing, but unfortunately, I get the feeling that Tencer really loves the likes of Moreau. He can't be that good of an actor.

Old
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I'd love to know the viewer ratings of these games now...probably behind replays of Poker After Dark
Baha. Honestly though, PAD is pretty good now with the introduction of a cash game, I'd much prefer watching Poker After Dark than an Oilers game at the moment. Sad but true.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote