HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're good at this losing thing | Sharks win, 4-2

Old
01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Is that your stated goal or just an idle observation ?
combination of both--

I think the ugliness will actually start when the Oilers win a few games and move up in the standings and then the fun begins

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
MePutPuckInNet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
I'm guessing O'sully is trying to light it up as much as he can before the deadline so he can get off this team asap....just a hunch.
Your hunch is the opposite of right. He loves Edmonton and really wants to stay here. He even likes the fans, despite the fact that everyone hates him.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Finish in basement for Horcoff's replacement!
That's awesome.

Old
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
Your hunch is the opposite of right. He loves Edmonton and really wants to stay here. He even likes the fans, despite the fact that everyone hates him.
Does everyone really hate him? If so, I don't understand why..

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
What are you his best buddy or something ? Honestly I've appreciated your contribution to the board since you suddenly appeared right about the time O'Sullivan got here . But imo you should come clean on your connection to this player or refrain from posting comments like the above .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Not sure why you're in love with O'Sullivan but, to each their own...

I doubt anyone 'hates' Patrick. As a matter of fact, I'd say most people see his potential. However, he is a part of a very poor team right now and is much the same as what we already had when he arrived...smaller offensive players that don't have the size and/or strength to drive for the net, fight off defenders around the net and forwards in the defensive zone, recover the puck along the boards, etc. Yes it takes some skill but it also takes strength. As I said, the Oilers already had enough small weak players before POS and there just doesn't seem like there's a spot for him.
On another team, I'm sure he would be a very servicable 2nd line player.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Arpeggio

Remember how O'Sullivan's father used to post on HFboards? Well I really doubt that this is his father, but he should clarify that he isn't. Because if it is a father, I think I speak for all of us when saying that I want him as far away from here as possible.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Finish in basement for Horcoff's replacement!

Ladies and gentlemen; We have a winner.

Mr V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:24 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
That's awesome.
it took me till this post to realize that Finish in the basement for Horcoffs Replacement ryhmed

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 2500
Another game I didn't watch.

What is happening?

I think I'm losing interest.

Gret99zky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
frag2

Quote:
That's awesome.
haha Not only is HFOil masters of psychology and mathematics, its also masters of poetry

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Does everyone really hate him? If so, I don't understand why..
I don't think its hate, more like disappointment to the point of disgust. I don't hate the dude per se but for all the "talent" the dude apparently has, he doesn't know how to make the most of it. If his cap hit [there goes the HF mandatory cap issue plug] wasn't about 3mill, I don't think people would be as hard on the guy.

Mepuckinnet apparently is "close" with POS...something about past history...he's apparently ripped at my criticisms before

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I enjoyed the game. Team is going nowhere but I still see a lot of players getting better. And the ones getting better are the ones that will still be here when we start winning again.

Ganger really bringing it. Cogliano looked good. Best action of the day was Cogs and Ganger working the boards behind the net like crazy doing the grunt work, winning the battle to feed Penner who was having a smoke and a coffee hanging out in the slot. Classic. lol
If it's the play they scored on that was Grebs who scored and #22 having a smoke way up at the blueline.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
How about this one...

Throw'er for Fowler!
I don't think they'll lose the lottery.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Hunt4Oil

Come on guys, only 20 points out of 8th we got this!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Thresher

I drove an hour south to watch the Oilers @ Sharks in the afternoon
Warm-ups at the Tank

THEN drove 1hr20min to Stockton to watch Pitton and the Thunder take on the Utah Grizzlies (STK won 6-4. Jamie Bates with 4 goals. Bryan Young is a BEAST)
Warm-ups at the Arena

I'm a diehard Sharks fan, but those first three goals that got past Doob...rather than jump and cheer like I usually do, I think I just sat there and covered my mouth lol

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:09 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Remember how O'Sullivan's father used to post on HFboards? Well I really doubt that this is his father, but he should clarify that he isn't. Because if it is a father, I think I speak for all of us when saying that I want him as far away from here as possible.
I used to play in the OPJHL for the Mississauga Chargers. We shared the same practice rink as the Mississauga IceDogs for a while so frequently some of the players on either team would end up on the same ice together goofing around and whatnot before or after practices. Sometimes we'd have time for a little un-official scrimmaging. Of course, everyone there knew who O'Sullivan was as he was always the most talented guy on the ice and everyone hated his guts because the guy just acted like he didn't give a crap about anything.

One day, just for the hell of it, I decided to trip him when he skated by, so I did and he landed in a heap on the ice. He didn't say anything, just glared at me and got up and skated away - then the next time we were on the ice together he tracked me down out on the ice and tripped me back. I couldn't believe he did it since I wasn't really a guy known as a friendly type or someone you'd want to piss off and I was surprised that the little punk would just haul me down like that - as I'm laying on the ice wondering what just happened we both just started laughing because I was genuinely shocked that he would do that.

Anyway, I got to know him then and we've been buds ever since. So, no. I am not his father.

Old
01-17-2010, 10:26 AM
mactforcoach

I hope O'Sullivan stays around. I really do believe he likes it here, based on his comments way back when he arrived from LA. If he can withstand all the flak he got in the last few months, and still pull his game together like he's doing right now, he's a keeper. I wish he was a bit more physical, but hey, he has about the fastest release on the team, and loves to shoot the puck, so I guess it's a wash.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
I hope O'Sullivan stays around. I really do believe he likes it here, based on his comments way back when he arrived from LA. If he can withstand all the flak he got in the last few months, and still pull his game together like he's doing right now, he's a keeper. I wish he was a bit more physical, but hey, he has about the fastest release on the team, and loves to shoot the puck, so I guess it's a wash.
So, what you're saying is if he plays better we should keep him? Doesn't that go for most players?

Personally, I think O'Sullivan is overpaid and he will never live up to his potential. He has good qualities, but we're too tight against the cap to keep him around for what he offers.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
So, what you're saying is if he plays better we should keep him? Doesn't that go for most players?

Personally, I think O'Sullivan is overpaid and he will never live up to his potential. He has good qualities, but we're too tight against the cap to keep him around for what he offers.
What I'm saying is that we should think about things a bit, before shipping half the team out. I think O'Sullivan thinks the game very well, plays a lot smarter than some of our younger players, plays a regular shift on the PK, and seems to like it here. Is he a bit high priced? Probably. Need cap room? Start with Moreau, Souray, Pisani, Comrie, Staios, Grebs or Gilbert and Cogs. Then see where we stand. O'Sullivan could be a part of the new young team, and fit in very well.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I used to play in the OPJHL for the Mississauga Chargers. We shared the same practice rink as the Mississauga IceDogs for a while so frequently some of the players on either team would end up on the same ice together goofing around and whatnot before or after practices.
Anyway, I got to know him then and we've been buds ever since. So, no. I am not his father.
Thank you for posting that .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
I used to play in the OPJHL for the Mississauga Chargers. We shared the same practice rink as the Mississauga IceDogs for a while so frequently some of the players on either team would end up on the same ice together goofing around and whatnot before or after practices. Sometimes we'd have time for a little un-official scrimmaging. Of course, everyone there knew who O'Sullivan was as he was always the most talented guy on the ice and everyone hated his guts because the guy just acted like he didn't give a crap about anything.

One day, just for the hell of it, I decided to trip him when he skated by, so I did and he landed in a heap on the ice. He didn't say anything, just glared at me and got up and skated away - then the next time we were on the ice together he tracked me down out on the ice and tripped me back. I couldn't believe he did it since I wasn't really a guy known as a friendly type or someone you'd want to piss off and I was surprised that the little punk would just haul me down like that - as I'm laying on the ice wondering what just happened we both just started laughing because I was genuinely shocked that he would do that.

Thanks for sharing, that is a great story.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
What I'm saying is that we should think about things a bit, before shipping half the team out. I think O'Sullivan thinks the game very well, plays a lot smarter than some of our younger players, plays a regular shift on the PK, and seems to like it here. Is he a bit high priced? Probably. Need cap room? Start with Moreau, Souray, Pisani, Comrie, Staios, Grebs or Gilbert and Cogs. Then see where we stand. O'Sullivan could be a part of the new young team, and fit in very well.
I'm probably one of the few people that agrees with you. I like O'Sullivan and I think he will be a good secondary scorer on a successful team. I would rather keep him and get rid of a few older guys. He's the right age to go along well with this re-build and his cap hit isn't so terrible that you either see him produce like crazy or get rid of him. With all the younger talent we will likely be rolling with in the near future, I'm a little more optimistic about our success of unloading our veterans at the TD than others, I don't believe that his cap space will be considered a waste.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
I'm probably one of the few people that agrees with you. I like O'Sullivan and I think he will be a good secondary scorer on a successful team. I would rather keep him and get rid of a few older guys. He's the right age to go along well with this re-build and his cap hit isn't so terrible that you either see him produce like crazy or get rid of him. With all the younger talent we will likely be rolling with in the near future, I'm a little more optimistic about our success of unloading our veterans at the TD than others, I don't believe that his cap space will be considered a waste.
Agreed, I don't see how anyone can want O'Sully gone before guys like Pisani, Moreau, Staois, Pouliot, and Horcoff, plus quite a few more who are debatable.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Agreed, I don't see how anyone can want O'Sully gone before guys like Pisani, Moreau, Staois, Pouliot, and Horcoff, plus quite a few more who are debatable.
I want Moreau traded ASAP. The guy is pissing me off with his stupid comments.