HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Question for Dan Tencer

Old
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Thanks. I'm around, I just prefer to stay out of the *****ing, crowing, and other nonsense that goes with this kind of season. I do think, though, that the Oilers would be foolish to waste this kind of cluster ****. They have waited almost 30 years to go this low in the standings.
I have to give Lowe/Tambo credit...this plan is brilliant.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
NoLocus*

vCash: 500
Lets bring CuJo out of retirement.

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
ozhenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Thanks. I'm around, I just prefer to stay out of the *****ing, crowing, and other nonsense that goes with this kind of season. I do think, though, that the Oilers would be foolish to waste this kind of cluster ****. They have waited almost 30 years to go this low in the standings.
I really am a huge fan of this kind of positive negativity.

ozhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Mr Sakich

the only goalie I want is Toskola because he is losing games for the Bruins way too much. He should be losing games for us. I t might almost be worth trading Cogliano for Toskola just to guarantee a top 2 pick.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post
Yep. Would be more than happy. 780-496-0063.

Nuts and bolts: Gotta protect against ruining the confidence of 2 young goalies AND gotta win at least a few here or there to keep it from being totally unproductive. I think they're comfortably in the bottom 3 of the league and I doubt, even with another goalie, that they'd go on a string of wins.

Plus...maybe a team like Washington does you a favour, taking a guy that could help them for a run this year that has an extra year or 2 on his deal if you take back Theodore's money for the rest of this season...or, maybe there's another team out there that could accomodate a similar proposition.

I certainly wouldn't give up anything of note for a goalie, but I find it more worth consideration the more I think about it.
Anything of note?? I wouldn't give anything!! The only reason for trading for a guy like Theodore would be if you took him of Washington's hands because they traded you a great young propect for one of our over-priced veterans. Otherwise, as many have said, let the kids play. I doubt playing behind this team, their confidence is going to get any worse and they'll get plenty of practice.
I don't want them comfortably in the bottom 3. I want them in last place so there's no doubt they'll be able to get Hall or Sequin. Being 3rd last, which is where I expect they'll be (Carolina 30th and Toronto 29th), could mean someone above them gets the lottery and Oilers move to 4th, which would be terrible after suffering through this disaster. Nope, don't mess with a bad thing (quit when you're behind philosphy). Keep going and hope for the best (#1 overall)

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:55 PM
frag2

Pick up Theodore:s salary..but sit him, much like Leafs with Kolzig the year before. It expires year end anyways.

Just keep playing DD. JDD just scrambles far too much for my liking.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
OneSharpMarble

The goalies know the team is done, there is zero pressure on them to stand on their head. They understand these games are learning experiences, these aren't children they are adults and they know there is nothing on the line.

The only thing you risk with getting another goaltender is going on a tear and pulling out of the bottom five and the way the oilers play at the end of the year that is very likely. Terrible idea.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Ruining their confidence? Seriously Dan have you seen the mess that is the Springfield Falcons that they both came from? They are no doubt both happier than pigs in **** to be drawing NHL paychecks for the remainder of the year and if their stats are low so will their salaries for next season. So why do you want another goalie again?
Totally agree, BBO.

If ruining their confidence is the big worry here (and IMO it's a bit late in their development to be treating them like porcelain, it's not like they're 19-20 yr old infants), then why the hell should the Oilers get some scrub NHL journeyman netminder and send either JDD or DD down into the fiery hellpit known as Springfield?

The poor guy'd probably turn out like that chick from Drag me to Hell after she found out that no, that envelope DIDN'T have the cursed button inside after all...whoopsie, I'm damned!

I say keep them both up here and see who's got the stones to stand up strong in a dire situation at the NHL level. My money's on Dubnyk, if either one of them can do it. If neither? Oh well, we move on.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:13 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I say keep them both up here and see who's got the stones to stand up strong in a dire situation at the NHL level. My money's on Dubnyk, if either one of them can do it. If neither? Oh well, we move on.
This is the comment I would like to hear Tencer respond to . We get to find out which of these guys can play at this level . That is valuable information that we could learn along the way since this roster is a guaranteed loser no matter what .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Totally agree, BBO.

If ruining their confidence is the big worry here (and IMO it's a bit late in their development to be treating them like porcelain, it's not like they're 19-20 yr old infants), then why the hell should the Oilers get some scrub NHL journeyman netminder and send either JDD or DD down into the fiery hellpit known as Springfield?

The poor guy'd probably turn out like that chick from Drag me to Hell after she found out that no, that envelope DIDN'T have the cursed button inside after all...whoopsie, I'm damned!

Dubnyk doesn't have the lateral movement to play big. He's either too slow or hasn't figured it out yet. Hopefully the latter and he gets it eventually. If JDD can learn to stay on his feet and improve his positioning he may be the one...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Dubnyk doesn't have the lateral movement to play big. He's either too slow or hasn't figured it out yet. Hopefully the latter and he gets it eventually. If JDD can learn to stay on his feet and improve his positioning he may be the one...
Sorry, I should've expanded on my reasoning.

I pick DD more because of what I believe to be a stronger ability to keep an even keel and keep his composure. To be honest, IMO JDD is the more talented goalie...in terms of ability I'm not sure what DD brings to the table other than being big.

On the other hand, it seems to me like JDD has a harder time controlling his emotions and not letting a bad goal derail his entire game. IMO this is why he's seldom "OK". It seems like he's either very good, or really fricking awful.

He may very well find himself and obtain that equilibrium, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be on his 2nd NHL team if he ever finds that level of maturity.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:42 PM
OilersTilTheDayIDie

it would be ridiculous to "fire" everybody that you have suggested, you don't just go out and replace all those jobs and expect to remedy the entire situation. A couple tweeks are necessary to be sure, but I do agree that injuries have decimated our season, and is the sole reason why we are where we are in the standings !

OilersTilTheDayIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Hunt4Oil

Keep running with JD and DD, they are far better off here than in Springfield right now. I highly doubt it's destroying their confidence, both guys have played on terrible teams and they both know that this is a terrible team. I highly doubt this is ruining them at all, Broduer wouldn't get this team many more wins and you know they are both loving that NHL payday!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersTilTheDayIDie View Post
it would be ridiculous to "fire" everybody that you have suggested, you don't just go out and replace all those jobs and expect to remedy the entire situation. A couple tweeks are necessary to be sure, but I do agree that injuries have decimated our season, and is the sole reason why we are where we are in the standings !
No, the big difference this year from last is we don't have a goalie standing on his head every night. The oilers are a bad, lousy, worthy of bottom 5 team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
Keep running with JD and DD, they are far better off here than in Springfield right now. I highly doubt it's destroying their confidence, both guys have played on terrible teams and they both know that this is a terrible team. I highly doubt this is ruining them at all, Broduer wouldn't get this team many more wins and you know they are both loving that NHL payday!
I agree with this.

There is no point in improving the team "now".

Just keep giving out cups o' coffee, shed some salary, and get better on the blue line.

And it's gonna be a long, painful 3 months.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

And Dan , kudos to you for the reply - while you were still on the air no less . But seriously .... Theodore ? This is the plan ? Have we forgotten how bruuuutal this guy was just a few short seasons ago ? He would flat out suck on this crappy team . A big no thanks on that idea .
I don't think he is talking about bringing him in because he thinks he will win games. He mentioned taking a terrible contract for this year in order to ditch a bad contract that extends beyond this year. This year is lost anyways, so it makes good sense in theory. The only thing management can do at this point that will make ppl rage would be trading picks/prospects for help, and they are not that dumb. They are pretty clearly the worst team in the NHL right now. Hall or Seguin will be Oil property and could help with a brief Philly-esque turnaround. It's not such a bad situation.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post
I don't think he is talking about bringing him in because he thinks he will win games. He mentioned taking a terrible contract for this year in order to ditch a bad contract that extends beyond this year. This year is lost anyways, so it makes good sense in theory. The only thing management can do at this point that will make ppl rage would be trading picks/prospects for help, and they are not that dumb. They are pretty clearly the worst team in the NHL right now. Hall or Seguin will be Oil property and could help with a brief Philly-esque turnaround. It's not such a bad situation.
Good point on the contract.

Wishful thinking about Philly-esque.

Old
01-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Fiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckycowboy View Post
Also Fire Pandegast and all of our pro scouts for the lack of perfomance.
Want to explain yourself here? Where do you think the scouting staff could have done better over the past 4 or 5 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the only goalie I want is Toskola because he is losing games for the Bruins way too much. He should be losing games for us. I t might almost be worth trading Cogliano for Toskola just to guarantee a top 2 pick.
...Toskala plays for the leafs...

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
OilersTilTheDayIDie

for Beerfish...
i did mention injuries are the sole reason and Khabi is one of the injured !
there's piles of talent on this team, and they are all playing under a new system, give them a year or two they will be fine so long as we have a healthy Khabi and Hemmer

OilersTilTheDayIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Good point on the contract.

Wishful thinking about Philly-esque.

'Hope is a dangerous thing'

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post

'Hope is a dangerous thing'
Oiler Fans: Steve Tambellini, your last two years of "evaluation" has brought the team an injury ridden goaltender and a mono infected undersized forward. Do you feel you've been accountable?

Tambo: Accountable? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.

Media and General Public: Well, it means you will hold somebody accountable. It means that you're ready to answer for your, well...inactivity.

Tambo breaks down weeping. Leaves the stage.

The feedback of a microphone is heard.

KLowe I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A caller's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job on the radio. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I've done to Steve and this team?

Everbody: Well, are you?

KLowe: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, powerful defenseman who won 6 cups. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Accountability? It's just a ******** word. So you go on and buy your season tickets, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, we need a new arena.

Old
01-17-2010, 02:32 AM
sync

^well done

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post

Nuts and bolts: Gotta protect against ruining the confidence of 2 young goalies AND gotta win at least a few here or there to keep it from being totally unproductive. I think they're comfortably in the bottom 3 of the league and I doubt, even with another goalie, that they'd go on a string of wins.
Thank you for responding on a public forum......

The Oilers need a talented centre in this years draft - if we end up second last this season, the lottery may end up giving us Fowler - a good defenseman, but not what the Oilers need.

We end up last - we are set... We end up 2nd last - we may be in trouble if the lottery unfolds the wrong way....

This year is the "silver lining" in the cloud situation - we are not making the playoffs no matter what unfolds - anything that management does to create wins would set the franchise back big time....

The rest of the season must be analysis time - test the players in different situations - see who succeeds & who fails - then make the difficult decisions over the summer.

If we pass up this opportunity - management has failed the fans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

Dubnyk and JDD have been waiting for this moment for three years .

I concur with what theoil said above - its too late to start pretending like the development of these two guys is some big priority . They have both have several seasons of minor league experience playing on losing teams . Fan expectations are at an all time low . If ever a kid is going to catch a break for letting in a few bad goals its now . If neither of these guys can establish something over the next forty games then we've discovered some useful information.
100% agree....

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-17-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Junk
Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

The rest of the season must be analysis time - test the players in different situations - see who succeeds & who fails - then make the difficult decisions over the summer.

If we pass up this opportunity - management has failed the fans...
I'm saving my 5,000 post for a topic thread.... But to expand on my prior post....

We have MPS / Eberle / Omark / Nash / Lander in the pipeline - all of them have the potential to be as good as "if not better" than many players on the team today...

We have tons of young players (mostly Smurfs) as forwards right now - many are young RFA's that are taking up roster spots that will not be available two years from now.

Rather than have question marks; rather than lose a top line centre; just take advantage of the opportunity that has been given to us...

Next year when Khabibulin is hopefully healthy, we will know who the back-up goalie is because of the rest of the season results... And which forwards do not deserve another contract.

To pass up this opportunity by signing a temporary stop gap goalie is complete insanity.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
I almost feel sorry for any media person who swings by this joint

almost

this place is like a loony bin and right now the inmates are having their fun

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote