HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Question for Dan Tencer

Old
01-17-2010, 04:24 AM
harpoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
...Toskala plays for the leafs...
And since the Leafs have already traded their pick to the Bruins , Toskala is losing "for" the Bruins . At least that's what I took the post to mean .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Ty Webb*

Gret99zky, that was awesome.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:20 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post
Nuts and bolts: Gotta protect against ruining the confidence of 2 young goalies AND gotta win at least a few here or there to keep it from being totally unproductive. I think they're comfortably in the bottom 3 of the league and I doubt, even with another goalie, that they'd go on a string of wins.
i agree with this to a degree, but at the same time - as much as its the goalies confidence, its the defense, high priced as it is, that is the true error here. the vet goalies the Oilers had to date had to stand on their heads to bail out bad D over the past 2-3 years even for mild success. bringing in someone else to try to mop up the defenses inept play seems kind of like the wrong focus.

the D has to be changed. the fake Detroit Red Wings puck possession model failed. Grebs vs. Gilbert and Lubo vs. Souray.... or hell, just Lubo and try to toss the other three for more rounded, cheaper D-men or Defensive D with some kids coming up the ranks.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Yanner39

I personally have zero confidence in both JDD and Dubnyk. This is a golden opportunity for them and they aren't taking advantage of it. If fact, I've felt for a a few years that JDD and Dubnyk weren't going to make it. And I don't think the Oilers did as well. Why else would they have acquired Garon to backup Roloson?

I pretty much agree with everyone hear: Let JDD and Dubnyk play the season, confirming that they aren't NHL goalies, and address the issue in the summer.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Pick up Theodore:s salary..but sit him, much like Leafs with Kolzig the year before. It expires year end anyways.

Just keep playing DD. JDD just scrambles far too much for my liking.
Exactly. This is the only legal way to buy a draft pick or to pay to upgrade.

Wash ..... 4th round

Edmonton .... 3rd round, Theodore

It may be unrealistic, but a deal like

Wash .... Staios

Edmonton .... Theodore and a 2nd

would be pretty tough to turn down.

You don't even have to play Theodore if you don't want to.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:17 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Getting a goalie to save JDD's and DD's confidence? Crazy. We're going to have to ditch one of them at years end anyways, so basically it's like saying that the Oilers should choose one of them now, and somehow hope they'll become a good goaltender by avoiding playing in front of a lousy team? Makes no sense to me.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:08 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
But it's the Oilers way They really need to let this ride out and tank for all it's worth anything more would be fricking stupid. Either a bad idea from Dan or he's throwing out what he heard from management, I pray it's the former and not the latter

This is what scares me, I think the Oilers use Dan Tencer sometimes, as a sounding board, to float idea's out to the fans. Remember when Comrie was skating in Edmonton last fall? Tencer starts asking fans what they would think if the Oilers signed him? Next thing you know...

The only goilie the Oilers need to sign right now, is an 18 yr old Broduer.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:13 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Exactly. This is the only legal way to buy a draft pick or to pay to upgrade.

Wash ..... 4th round

Edmonton .... 3rd round, Theodore

It may be unrealistic, but a deal like

Wash .... Staios

Edmonton .... Theodore and a 2nd

would be pretty tough to turn down.

You don't even have to play Theodore if you don't want to.
And our reputation around the league just takes another hit, for using a player that way.

Old
01-17-2010, 09:14 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Oiler Fans: Steve Tambellini, your last two years of "evaluation" has brought the team an injury ridden goaltender and a mono infected undersized forward. Do you feel you've been accountable?

Tambo: Accountable? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.

Media and General Public: Well, it means you will hold somebody accountable. It means that you're ready to answer for your, well...inactivity.

Tambo breaks down weeping. Leaves the stage.

The feedback of a microphone is heard.

KLowe I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A caller's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job on the radio. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I've done to Steve and this team?

Everbody: Well, are you?

KLowe: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, powerful defenseman who won 6 cups. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Accountability? It's just a ******** word. So you go on and buy your season tickets, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, we need a new arena.
bravo

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:18 AM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Disagree . Dubnyk and JDD have been waiting for this moment for three years .

I concur with what theoil said above - its too late to start pretending like the development of these two guys is some big priority . They have both have several seasons of minor league experience playing on losing teams . Fan expectations are at an all time low . If ever a kid is going to catch a break for letting in a few bad goals its now . If neither of these guys can establish something over the next forty games then we've discovered some useful information .

I also think the "feeding frenzy" comment is a bit overstated . The Oilers aren't getting blown away night after night . JDD had one game (against the Flames I think) that he looked a little shellshocked , and Dubnyk's first game wasn't pretty either , but it's not like they are getting hammered 6-1 everynight . In fact it could be argued that they've both given up a lot of the sort of goals ( wrap around / sharp angle / junky little tips ) that they should be able to cut down as they get more accustomed to the speed and trickiness of NHL talent .

And Dan , kudos to you for the reply - while you were still on the air no less . But seriously .... Theodore ? This is the plan ? Have we forgotten how bruuuutal this guy was just a few short seasons ago ? He would flat out suck on this crappy team . A big no thanks on that idea .
I was going to post my thoughts but endorsing this post is just the same, probably better. Everything bolded is relevant, and unless the pot was sweetened big time to take on Theodore, why would we???

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
And our reputation around the league just takes another hit, for using a player that way.
A trade like this only happens if Theodore is not expected to play in Washington and if no one else wants him. Otherwise, the Caps don't make this move. Under such circumstances, if you make the deal at the deadline and run with JDD and Theodore, but give JDD 5 of 6 games how does the Oilers rep take a hit?

As of right now Theodore is playing in Washington so I would not see the deal being on the table. But the previous example to which I responded was a situation in which Kolzig was essentially done. Where he collected his salary was not as big an issue I would bet.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:45 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
I personally have zero confidence in both JDD and Dubnyk. This is a golden opportunity for them and they aren't taking advantage of it. If fact, I've felt for a a few years that JDD and Dubnyk weren't going to make it. And I don't think the Oilers did as well. Why else would they have acquired Garon to backup Roloson?

I pretty much agree with everyone hear: Let JDD and Dubnyk play the season, confirming that they aren't NHL goalies, and address the issue in the summer.
Letting them play means that this team is a guaranteed bottom 2 team by seasons end. That has to be considered a positive but that's were the positives end IMO. I don't believe for one second that either goalie has a future as an NHL starter but that likely won't motivate Tambo to bring in a young goalie with #1 potential next season. Instead we will be stuck with the same ineffective tandem we watched this season because as long as Khabby is the starter the backup will play at least 30-40 games. Reactive problem solving seems to be part of this teams policy which is really unfortunate. I would like to know exactly what Tambo was thinking signing a 36 year old injury prone goalie to a 4 year contract on a rebuilding team? It makes no sense and it's indicative of the kind of flawed thinking that makes it difficult to believe that this team will be making the playoffs anytime soon.
The sad thing is that IMO Katz is part of the problem because we now have what appears to be an old boys club with him and Lowe.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
A trade like this only happens if Theodore is not expected to play in Washington and if no one else wants him. Otherwise, the Caps don't make this move. Under such circumstances, if you make the deal at the deadline and run with JDD and Theodore, but give JDD 5 of 6 games how does the Oilers rep take a hit?

As of right now Theodore is playing in Washington so I would not see the deal being on the table. But the previous example to which I responded was a situation in which Kolzig was essentially done. Where he collected his salary was not as big an issue I would bet.
Fair enough, in that sense I suppose it would fly. Most players and teams would see it for what it is, a salary dump.

Old
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
This is what scares me, I think the Oilers use Dan Tencer sometimes, as a sounding board, to float idea's out to the fans. Remember when Comrie was skating in Edmonton last fall? Tencer starts asking fans what they would think if the Oilers signed him? Next thing you know...

The only goilie the Oilers need to sign right now, is an 18 yr old Broduer.
Agreed, it scares the crap out of me, I wasn't for the Comrie signing and I am a million times against this type of a trade. If we trade for a guy and bury him in the PB the rest of the way it won't look very good. The ONLY way I'd be down with this is if Theodore was sent straight down to Springfield. The last thing we need is him to come in and catch fire and Quinn rides him and he gets us an extra 5 or more wins than what we would've had ****ing us out of Seguin or Hall. Anything less than being THE worst team in the league this season to guarantee a chance at Hall or Seguin is a complete disaster for this team.

If our management is thinking otherwise we are ****ed as a team and we are ****ed as fans. I've been wanting a 1st overall pick for well over a decade, if they **** that up now when it's clearly what we need, I'll never forgive their stupid ***es. Take that back to Oilers management Dan, this isn't like Comrie messing around with the roster makeup for a year or 2, this is potentially ****ing the team and its fans for a decade or more, unacceptable!

If they **** this up and then sign or try to sign Kovalchuk for league max while keeping Horc, I'm ****ing done with this stupid ****ing management team. The plan should be so clear with this club right now, it's a no brainer, but just watch these ****tards keep Moreau and barely sell off a damn thing come deadline day while adding a veteran goalie

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Letting them play means that this team is a guaranteed bottom 2 team by seasons end. That has to be considered a positive but that's were the positives end IMO. I don't believe for one second that either goalie has a future as an NHL starter but that likely won't motivate Tambo to bring in a young goalie with #1 potential next season. Instead we will be stuck with the same ineffective tandem we watched this season because as long as Khabby is the starter the backup will play at least 30-40 games. Reactive problem solving seems to be part of this teams policy which is really unfortunate. I would like to know exactly what Tambo was thinking signing a 36 year old injury prone goalie to a 4 year contract on a rebuilding team? It makes no sense and it's indicative of the kind of flawed thinking that makes it difficult to believe that this team will be making the playoffs anytime soon.
The sad thing is that IMO Katz is part of the problem because we now have what appears to be an old boys club with him and Lowe.
Don't you get it? Oilers management didn't consider this a rebuilding team, I hope that they do now or they could screw us out of the only silver lining this team could have after Pronger left.

Old
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM
jfhlbuffy

What BBO said.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Don't you get it? Oilers management didn't consider this a rebuilding team, I hope that they do now or they could screw us out of the only silver lining this team could have after Pronger left.
I honestly don't know what this management team thinks...does anybody?
Their modus operandi appears to be pump out propaganda (which Oiler fans eagerly eat up) and chase ghosts (Hossa, Heatly..et al) while viable pieces fall away.
Oh...and hope like hell that some of the young players over-perform to bail out their collective *****.
The best I can say about this management team is that they want it both ways...rebuild and stay competitive. Its not unexpected that they have failed miserably...maybe its time they pick a direction and stick to it for a change.
I wouldn't bet on it though.

Old
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Disagree.

Bob Mackenzie is one of the knowledgeable members of TSN and in his latest article he focuses several times on the mindset of the Oilers being a rebuild.

He seems like sort of journalists that would get some sort of knowledge of this before he said it. (You know, those old-school kind of journalists)

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Disagree.

Bob Mackenzie is one of the knowledgeable members of TSN and in his latest article he focuses several times on the mindset of the Oilers being a rebuild.

He seems like sort of journalists that would get some sort of knowledge of this before he said it. (You know, those old-school kind of journalists)
What is Bob basing that observation on?
I would like him to list the teams that attempt a rebuild and max out their cap space at the same time.
Its a pretty short list.

Old
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
If we did get Toronto's pick for like Vish, Cogs, Nash, Plante (which isn't close enough), we could draft Hall with ours and Fowler with Toronto's

MPS-Hall-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Eberle

Fowler-Souray
Gilbert-Smid
Grebs-Chorney

We'd be set for a LONG time.
I think about that too. If there's ANY deal possible with the Bruins we do it. The Oilers and Bruins always seem to be in bed together during the trade deadline anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something brewing.

What do you think they would ask us for? Someone that would be reasonable cap-wise and they think would help them on a lengthy playoff run. Would they take a run at Penner? I know he's 4.5 but I would think his value is high right now.

Man I just salivate at the thought of acquiring that pick!

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
What is Bob basing that observation on?
I would like him to list the teams that attempt a rebuild and max out their cap space at the same time.
Its a pretty short list.
I would have to call Bob and ask him.

Otherwise he stated several times the Oilers management were looking at a slow rebuild.

You would have to ask him why and how.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post
What BBO said.
he says a lot and often make little or no sense

so you need to clerify just what he said that was so ground breaking and earth shattering that he was actually right about something

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
I would have to call Bob and ask him.

Otherwise he stated several times the Oilers management were looking at a slow rebuild.

You would have to ask him why and how.
So did he say the Oilers are looking at a rebuild or have been in the process of a rebuild?

If its the latter (as you seemed to indicate the first time), then you missed my point which was that while he may think the team is in rebuild mode the evidence says something completely different.

In essence there is little to back up Bobs claim so his word in this situation has little merit.

Having said all that perhaps you can provide a link because maybe your interpretation of the article is what we are actually discussing here.

Last edited by guymez: 01-17-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old
01-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
So did he say the Oilers are looking at a rebuild or have been in the process of a rebuild?

If its the latter (as you seemed to indicate the first time), then you missed my point which was that while he may think the team is in rebuild mode the evidence says something completely different.

In essence there is little to back up Bobs claim so his word in this situation has little merit.

Having said all that perhaps you can provide a link because maybe your interpretation of the article is what we are actually discussing here.
Agreed, IMO they didn't feel that we were in a rebuild until THIS season and more specifically the last 15-20 games. Let's just hope that they stay the course at the very least for THIS season so that we can land 1 of Seguin or Hall.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he says a lot and often make little or no sense

so you need to clerify just what he said that was so ground breaking and earth shattering that he was actually right about something
Why because I try to spell words properly?