HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle starts with team next year?

Old
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Oil Baron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post
As much as this is probably true, I don't want him to be. I would want him to play one year in the AHL before coming to the NHL. He still needs to mature physically. He will just get killed in the big league.
Finally someone that can see the obvious. I was starting to think I was the only one. He needs to put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle after watching him in the Wld Jr. tourny. He was being outmuscled on the puck by 18 year old's what is he going to do against 24 - 30 year old men. I really hope he gets one year in the AHL before they bring him in.

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Broilers

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
he'll make the team next year, but 50pts might be a bit much. I can see him scoring 20 goals but highly doubt he racks up the assists solely based on the quality of his teammates
Hes getting around 40 points

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Completely disagree, calling players of that calibre up to play 8 minutes a night is a complete waste and hurts more than it helps.
Yeah, it seems to have hurt Hemsky and pre-concussion Stoll

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
I'd rather see all the rookies come up thru the AHL, and get a taste of the bigger players, and rougher games. If Eberle comes straight to the Oilers, imagine him flying across the blueline, to be met by Reiger or Phanuff, I doubt he's seen anything like that yet, and Reiger would have no quams with injuring him. After which, nobody from the Oilers would settle the score.
He has already faced those players and he has already played in the ahl and played at a ppg pace there. Its time for him to be rewarded for his hard work and put on his big boy pants.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Yeah, it seems to have hurt Hemsky and pre-concussion Stoll
Stoll was a different situation. You know that as well as I do. The guy is a 3rd liner.

As for Hemsky I guess thats a more fitting example but think about how many games Hemsky got scratched for. A ton. I'd rather let the Eberle play in the AHL and get the games than run the risk of putting him in the position of a guy like that.

Now Hemsky got scratched because he was a huge defensive liability so it will liekly be different with Eberle but you see my point.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Completely disagree, calling players of that calibre up to play 8 minutes a night is a complete waste and hurts more than it helps.
This is how |Hemsky and Smyth made the team...I wonder how much better they might have been

Just saying

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck View Post
This is how |Hemsky and Smyth made the team...I wonder how much better they might have been

Just saying
Ryan Smyth played first unit powerplay minutes, that is also not a good comparison because I'm pretty sure Eberle would not be fortunate enough to be in that position.

As for hemsky I talked about that.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Joe Thornton was broken in on the 4th line as an 18yo, I think Lecavalier was too. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
That team is still incredibly soft. We still need someone in the top 6 with size and real grit. Also, I'm not a fan of having 3 kids with zero games under the belt on the same line. I'd rather split them up or have a vet on a line with 2 of them.
I was kinda going for that. When fully healthy I don't think we have the players to suck bad enough for 1st overall in 2011(Larsson) so a smaller, softer team will ensure enough injuries to get us there.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Split the MPS, Hall, Eberle line and add a veteran to show them the way. Let them play together on the powerplay so they can get chemistry with each other and be dynamite in the next 2+ years.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
He could get 50 points if he were on a good NHL team, but he's not going to get 50 points on the Oilers. Maybe in his 2nd season, though. Even if he does start with the team, he's dangerously small and there's really good odds he gets injured before long. I think he's one of those players whose game will shine in the juniors but will not translate to the NHL... he won't be able to do the things that he's known for here nearly as effectively.

I don't understand why people think he is that small... 5' 11" and 184lbs... I mean hes not huge but that has to be close to nhl height and add 10-15 pounds over time ands hes of normal size.

crosby- 5' 11" 200lbs
Parise- 5' 11" 190lbs
Mike richards-5' 11" 195lbs
brad richards- 6' 192lbs
ray whitney- 5' 10" 180 lbs
briere- 5' 10" 179
tavares- 6' 195lbs

so basically 10 pounds needed at the most and 1 inch really isn't that big of a deal. He will be fine.

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:58 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I don't understand why people think he is that small... 5' 11" and 184lbs... I mean hes not huge but that has to be close to nhl height and add 10-15 pounds over time ands hes of normal size.

crosby- 5' 11" 200lbs
Parise- 5' 11" 190lbs
Mike richards-5' 11" 195lbs
brad richards- 6' 192lbs
ray whitney- 5' 10" 180 lbs
briere- 5' 10" 179
tavares- 6' 195lbs

so basically 10 pounds needed at the most and 1 inch really isn't that big of a deal. He will be fine.
people think he's small because he *is* small... eberle is not, by any means whatsoever, anywhere close to 5 foot 11.... eberle would be lucky to be 5' 10", and is most likely 5' 9".... 5' 11" is a joke, its not even close

i can't comment on his weight, as hockey player are notoriously tough to judge when it comes to weight.... largely because they carry so much of their mass in their legs

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:22 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Joe Thornton was broken in on the 4th line as an 18yo, I think Lecavalier was too. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree
As was Hemsky. So should Paajarvi, IMO.

There are only a handful of "top six or bust" players and they spend time in the AHL. Hell, Gagner started his first season on Line 4.

The few games Eberle COULD play this season won't hurt him (save for a concussion or something, but that's unlikely and possible at any level).

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:23 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
people think he's small because he *is* small... eberle is not, by any means whatsoever, anywhere close to 5 foot 11.... eberle would be lucky to be 5' 10", and is most likely 5' 9".... 5' 11" is a joke, its not even close

i can't comment on his weight, as hockey player are notoriously tough to judge when it comes to weight.... largely because they carry so much of their mass in their legs
The thing about "listed" height. Most of them around that height are actually smaller. Parise and Briere are not an exception. Crosby's probably legit.

I will say this: Eberle is definitely taller than Jordan Weal, who's listed at 5'9.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:27 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The few games Eberle COULD play this season won't hurt him (save for a concussion or something, but that's unlikely and possible at any level).
Why did I just get a sneaking suspicion Eberle plays for the Oil after his WHL season is up to appease the mutinous Oilers season ticket holders. And either he gets hurt, gets sucked into the black hole that is the current team, or costs us a #1 pick.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Why did I just get a sneaking suspicion Eberle plays for the Oil after his WHL season is up to appease the mutinous Oilers season ticket holders. And either he gets hurt, gets sucked into the black hole that is the current team, or costs us a #1 pick.
He'll turn pro, for sure. Whether or not he plays for the Falcons or the Oilers, why does it matter?

I sincerely doubt a 19 year old will be the saving grace of the team and pull them out of oblivion.

I also think the "he might get hurt" excuse is just dumb. He's going to be playing men at the end of this year, should we just retire him now so he doesn't have to risk it?

Old
01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
nullterm

Quote:
He'll turn pro, for sure. Whether or not he plays for the Falcons or the Oilers, why does it matter?

I sincerely doubt a 19 year old will be the saving grace of the team and pull them out of oblivion.

I also think the "he might get hurt" excuse is just dumb. He's going to be playing men at the end of this year, should we just retire him now so he doesn't have to risk it?
I'd rather see him on the first/second line of the Falcons. Let him take an incremental step closer towards the NHL. He'll make a bigger relative impact there to build confidence. Go score lots of goals against other team's farm players.

I just don't see the point of dropping him into a glum, dreary locker room with everyone's spirits in the gutter as his first taste of the NHL. Let the guy start off on a positive note with a team on a fresh start at the start of next season after the GMs have hopefully got their gears moving.

The Falcons atleast have 4 wins in their last 10. Compared to a single Oiler win. And it actually makes sense for management to find a goaltender to help the AHLers.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
I'd rather see him on the first/second line of the Falcons. Let him take an incremental step closer towards the NHL. He'll make a bigger relative impact there to build confidence. Go score lots of goals against other team's farm players.

I just don't see the point of dropping him into a glum, dreary locker room with everyone's spirits in the gutter as his first taste of the NHL. Let the guy start off on a positive note with a team on a fresh start at the start of next season after the GMs have hopefully got their gears moving.

The Falcons atleast have 4 wins in their last 10. Compared to a single Oiler win. And it actually makes sense for management to find a goaltender to help the AHLers.
Well, yeah, I was about to say he's probably going to enter a glum, dreary lockerroom whether or not he plays for the Oilers or the Falcons.

At least with the Oilers he has the excitement of his first few NHL games. Besides, I think he'll be able to play, what, 4 games in the bigs after his WHL season is over? Not enough time to shake his confidence or anything.

I see no potential for harm and a good way for him to gauge what he needs to do over the summer to better make the team. Whether or not he starts next year in the minors is up to him and what he does.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:15 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Well, yeah, I was about to say he's probably going to enter a glum, dreary lockerroom whether or not he plays for the Oilers or the Falcons.

At least with the Oilers he has the excitement of his first few NHL games. Besides, I think he'll be able to play, what, 4 games in the bigs after his WHL season is over? Not enough time to shake his confidence or anything.

I see no potential for harm and a good way for him to gauge what he needs to do over the summer to better make the team. Whether or not he starts next year in the minors is up to him and what he does.
Rexall place in the last period of the season: "BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WE WANT HALL!!! WE WANT HALL!!!"

Veteran to Eberle: "Welcome aboard kid!"

Old
01-18-2010, 01:17 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Rexall place in the last period of the season: "BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WE WANT HALL!!! WE WANT HALL!!!"

Veteran to Eberle: "Welcome aboard kid!"
I'm thinking Eberle will have quite the cheering section for himself in those few games.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:39 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
100%

He was good enough this year but Quinn wanted to give him one more year of junior to dominate and build confidence.
Eberle is a good example why AHL should allow 19 yr old restrictions, like 1 per team or something. He's doing more than just dominating the WHL. It's no challenge for him, can't honestly tell me he's learning anything this season besides going down getting 2pts a game + only to see his team give up 3 more without him.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
1: Please correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't MPS' contract run through next season?

2: Bringing O'Mark and Eberle onto the team wouldn't rock. Why? Who's going to go into the corners and do all the grunt work while these guys are on the ice? I watched Eberle get rocked a few times at the world juniors... imagine what Weber or Brown would do to these guys.

3: So if Hall is likely playing on the wing... who's going to center these guys? Since we don't have cap space I don't see how we're going to get a player worthy of playing with these guys right now.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
O'Mark-Hall-Eberle

Penner-Hall-Hemsky
O'Mark-Gagner-Eberle

O'Mark-Gagner-Hemsky
Penner-Hall-Eberle

No matter how you do it, it's not going to work. We need another center and we need a power forward who's going to go into the corners and stick up for these guys in the middle of the play so that Souray/Stortini/Staios don't have to take an instigator penalty every time something nasty happens.

4:If O'Mark wants on the team let him try out. I don't think he's ready for the NHL. I think he needs a season in the AHL to get used to the speed of the game, the smaller rink and the physical play.

5: If we draft Sequin or Hall let them stay in the juniors for one year. Have Eberle play a full season with full grown men in the AHL.

6: Give Horcoff one more season to get his act together and then buy his a** out so that we have a little extra cap space. By the time we do this Moreau, O'Sullivan and Staios will also be off the books.

7: Yes, we've been in the ****er aka the basement of the NHL most of the time since the early 90's. We've got a few decent prospects now but nobody can tell me that we've got got the kinda prospect pool we need to turn into a Chicago, an LA, a Buffalo or even a Columbus at this point.

Bringing these guys up early will ultimately lead to the following:

Scary injuries because the player is too small and not physically developed enough to play with full grown men.

Scary injuries because the player isn't used to the speed of the NHL.

Scary injuries because the player must go into dangerous areas to fish out the puck because nobody on his line can.

Edmonton ending up getting 10th-12th pick overall next year because we put guys like Eberle and Hall on the team. Assuming they're effective, that is. In the case that they aren't it's just going to make us look like ***** for rushing them into the NHL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:42 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Eberle is a good example why AHL should allow 19 yr old restrictions, like 1 per team or something. He's doing more than just dominating the WHL. It's no challenge for him, can't honestly tell me he's learning anything this season besides going down getting 2pts a game + only to see his team give up 3 more without him.
I agree with the idea with the idea of being allowed to have 1 19 year old per team... but when it's getting this easy for him it just allows the game to slow down and it gives him time to develop his creativity.

Not hurting him in the least.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
1:
2: Bringing O'Mark and Eberle onto the team wouldn't rock. Why? Who's going to go into the corners and do all the grunt work while these guys are on the ice? I watched Eberle get rocked a few times at the world juniors... imagine what Weber or Brown would do to these guys.
For fall 2011:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-Eberle

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 482
He will be here at the end of this year and will get 9 games. If he sucks and needs to improve he will have a whole summer to work on his game.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Well they are allowed to have as many as they want they just can't come from the CHL, has to be via NCAA or Europe. I too don't think he is learning much in the WHL, maybe he is learning to play better defensively but I doubt that is on his mind as much as it should be.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote