HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle starts with team next year?

Old
01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
The oilers will want to give him a long look, I can almost guarantee that, so unless he bombs in camp, he'll be there in the opening night roster.

CanadianCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
1: Please correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't MPS' contract run through next season?
No, it doesn't.

It was jumptheshark who invented that in his mind; said it with enough fervor that people believed it. Paajarvi himself confirmed during the World Juniors that his contract ended after this season, a fact he first stated after the draft.

Quote:
2: Bringing O'Mark and Eberle onto the team wouldn't rock. Why? Who's going to go into the corners and do all the grunt work while these guys are on the ice? I watched Eberle get rocked a few times at the world juniors... imagine what Weber or Brown would do to these guys.
Omark and Eberle both play in the corners, but I see your point. Not big or strong and won't win many puck battles against the types of players you mention. I'd imagine the answers would be one of Jacques, Penner, Stone or whoever else is brought in. They don't need to be loaded on a line together.

Only the players who earn the spot should make the team, though. One of them isn't good enough, they play elsewhere.

Quote:
3: So if Hall is likely playing on the wing... who's going to center these guys? Since we don't have cap space I don't see how we're going to get a player worthy of playing with these guys right now.
"Worthy"?

Not even Hall will be a gamebreaker in his rookie year (not if that's next year, anyway). He doesn't need an all-star.

Quote:
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
O'Mark-Hall-Eberle

Penner-Hall-Hemsky
O'Mark-Gagner-Eberle

O'Mark-Gagner-Hemsky
Penner-Hall-Eberle
Jordan Eberle is not a top-six or bust player. Omark is one word, no apostrophe. I would imagine something like: Penner - Gagner - Brule, Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky.

Nevermind the assumption that we're landing Hall. Right now it's Seguin or Fowler.

Quote:
No matter how you do it, it's not going to work. We need another center and we need a power forward who's going to go into the corners and stick up for these guys in the middle of the play so that Souray/Stortini/Staios don't have to take an instigator penalty every time something nasty happens.
When has this ever happened?

Seriously, these are made up issues.

Quote:
4:If O'Mark wants on the team let him try out. I don't think he's ready for the NHL. I think he needs a season in the AHL to get used to the speed of the game, the smaller rink and the physical play.
He plays in the KHL, which is every bit as fast and definitely more skilled than the AHL.

He doesn't need to be handed the spot. Even if we give him the one-way, we can send him back to Russia for the year if he can't crack the roster. It's the Mikhnov solution.

Quote:
5: If we draft Sequin or Hall let them stay in the juniors for one year. Have Eberle play a full season with full grown men in the AHL.
Hall has nothing left to do at the OHL level. He's decimated the league since he was 16, there's really nothing to be gained by going back to Windsor. Even the World Juniors is pointless, he played like a total puckhog and still wound up decimating it and taking home some hardware.

Quote:
6: Give Horcoff one more season to get his act together and then buy his a** out so that we have a little extra cap space. By the time we do this Moreau, O'Sullivan and Staios will also be off the books.
Horcoff has a NMC until his third season into this contract. Can't buy him out or waive him unless he wants to be waived/bought out. Maybe he does. Hell, that's a big windfall to encounter all at once.

Whatever the case may be, a full summer to get healthy and a clean slate with some fresh faces might make that contract a lot better than it is right now.

You're not moving him in any way, there's not much reason to discourage that possibility.

Quote:
7: Yes, we've been in the ****er aka the basement of the NHL most of the time since the early 90's. We've got a few decent prospects now but nobody can tell me that we've got got the kinda prospect pool we need to turn into a Chicago, an LA, a Buffalo or even a Columbus at this point.
Chicago and LA drafted high and played these kids tremendously early. Even Toni Rajala is bigger than Patrick Kane is, and none of Eberle, Paajarvi or Hall will be as young.

Really, it starts with that one guy. Chicago had all their prospects fall into place after drafting and developing the top-end talent at the high end of the draft. For LA, that was Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar.

Quote:
Bringing these guys up early will ultimately lead to the following:

Scary injuries because the player is too small and not physically developed enough to play with full grown men.
Omark is 23 years old and has played with grown men for four seasons.

Eberle is as physically developed as Cogliano or Gagner, they've been far healthier than our sizable players.

Paajarvi is 6'2 200lbs, dude can wheel.

Quote:
Scary injuries because the player isn't used to the speed of the NHL.
Omark and Paajarvi have wheels. Eberle's no slower than Gagner and again, Gagner has easily escaped all injuries. I mean, really, who are these young players who get hurt? More teenagers are playing in the NHL than ever, and I can't think of one example of this happening.

Quote:
Scary injuries because the player must go into dangerous areas to fish out the puck because nobody on his line can.
So easy it is to forget that Pat Quinn abjectly refused to put three small, perimeter scorers on a line together. You think Eberle will be playing with Gagner and Nilsson or something? Doesn't match.

Quote:
Edmonton ending up getting 10th-12th pick overall next year because we put guys like Eberle and Hall on the team. Assuming they're effective, that is. In the case that they aren't it's just going to make us look like ***** for rushing them into the NHL.
Nobody makes the team who doesn't earn it.

Hall makes the team because it's better than the alternative. You really don't rush first overall picks, they come ready made. Hall is no different. He's NHL big, NHL fast, and for a scorer, NHL physical.

Jordan will be 19 going on 20, just about the right age for a player his stature to turn to the NHL. If he earns it, I see no reason for him not to play. Like I said, I do not believe he's a guy who HAS to play top-six minutes. Second PP and 10 ES minutes a night will do him as much good as playing for any AHL team.

But, like I've said twice before, he'll have to EARN that and EARN his way up the roster.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote