HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick two small forwards to keep

Old
01-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Pick two small forwards to keep

I really don't see how the Oilers can go forward with 3 small guys in our top 6. Calgary and Vancouver just have their way with us and I don't like cheering for a team of Sallies.

The problem is which two to keep. We have...

Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Cogliano, Nilson, and POS who seem ready to be in our top 6 next year.

Add in Omark who probably doesn't come over unless he is guaranteed a job in the NHL.

It might be possible that Katz and Lowe keep Comrie. He has put up better numbers than Gagner and Cogs and would be a lot cheaper. Is Gagner or Cogs an upgrade over Comrie, if he only cost 1/3 to 1/4 of what they cost??

At the end of next year, one of Eberle, Hemsky, or Gagner is probably gone, maybe two of them.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
0ilerman
The King

Eberle Gagner and Hemsky...all 3 should stay

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I really don't see how the Oilers can go forward with 3 small guys in our top 6. Calgary and Vancouver just have their way with us and I don't like cheering for a team of Sallies.

Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Cogliano, Nilson, and POS who seem ready to be in our top 6 next year.

Add in Omark who probably doesn't come over unless he is guaranteed a job in the NHL.

It might be possible that Katz and Lowe keep Comrie. He has put up better numbers than Gagner and Cogs and would be a lot cheaper. Is Gagner or Cogs an upgrade over Comrie, if he only cost 1/3 to 1/4 of what they cost??

At the end of next year, one of Eberle, Hemsky, or Gagner is probably gone, maybe two of them.
Hemsky is 6' and 195. Not a giant but not small. Although highly skilled, he doesn't play that small either. Shouldn't be on the list.
That leaves Gagner and Eberle. I like Cogliano but if he isn't on the 3rd line (because he may be too good for it), he may have to be traded in a package for a larger forward/defenceman. Comrie, Nilsson and POS?...Doesn't really matter what happens to them.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Gagner and Comrie, Eberle to rip up the AHL, and the rest can be traded or waived. Time to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wtf , all three are here to stay.The players that would be going would be POS,Nilsson,Cogliano,Comrie. Eberle,Gagner,Hemsky are not going anywhere.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Copperhead

I wouldn't consider Hemsky in that group. He is much better at shielding the puck than the other guys. I know he won't lay a guy out very often (although I still remember when he cranked Tucker) but he's not going to get pushed around like the rest of them.

The way Nilsson is playing I would love to keep him but maybe it raises his trade value enough to move him.

I think that Cogliano deserves a real shot with real linemates before he is dealt. His value right now wouldn't be high enough to deal.

Gagner has to stay as he is definitely the most promising amongst the young group (keep in mind Eberle still hasn't played in the NHL).

Eberle obviously you can't move before he plays a season or two with us.

POS if he keeps playing like this should be dealt. Otherwise I don't know that we'd get anything for him.

Interesting though that you don't include Brule who is a small forward. I guess his physicality removes him from this group.

Omark I don't see coming over next year. After that I don't know there is room for him anyways. Maybe deal him to Tampa to play with his buddy Johan Harju. 2nd round pick coming back?

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I wouldn't consider Hemsky in that group. He is much better at shielding the puck than the other guys. I know he won't lay a guy out very often (although I still remember when he cranked Tucker) but he's not going to get pushed around like the rest of them.

The way Nilsson is playing I would love to keep him but maybe it raises his trade value enough to move him.

I think that Cogliano deserves a real shot with real linemates before he is dealt. His value right now wouldn't be high enough to deal.

Gagner has to stay as he is definitely the most promising amongst the young group (keep in mind Eberle still hasn't played in the NHL).

Eberle obviously you can't move before he plays a season or two with us.

POS if he keeps playing like this should be dealt. Otherwise I don't know that we'd get anything for him.

Interesting though that you don't include Brule who is a small forward. I guess his physicality removes him from this group.

Omark I don't see coming over next year. After that I don't know there is room for him anyways. Maybe deal him to Tampa to play with his buddy Johan Harju. 2nd round pick coming back?

How the hell can Omark even work with this team when the guy is only 5'8 and 165 pounds.I will say it right now that Omark is two small to be in the NHL.

Old
01-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Brule plays a much more physical game than Hemsky or anyone else on the list. He can be a very cheap, useful 3rd / 4th liner.

IMO, the Oilers are planning on selling season tickets by putting Eberle in the spot light. He is almost 20 and he is, by far, the highest scoring player in major junior hockey this year. He is ready.

I just don't see how we can repeat this small skilled experiment again, We can't have gagner, Hemsky, and Eberle playing big minutes. None of them are 3rd, 4th liners and I don't think Quinn + Tambo wants another smurf line.

One of them is gone and it won't be Eberle.

Old
01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Brule plays a much more physical game than Hemsky or anyone else on the list. He can be a very cheap, useful 3rd / 4th liner.

IMO, the Oilers are planning on selling season tickets by putting Eberle in the spot light. He is almost 20 and he is, by far, the highest scoring player in major junior hockey this year. He is ready.

I just don't see how we can repeat this small skilled experiment again, We can't have gagner, Hemsky, and Eberle playing big minutes. None of them are 3rd, 4th liners and I don't think Quinn + Tambo wants another smurf line.

One of them is gone and it won't be Eberle.

If it had to happen,I would't mind a trade that sent Hemsky to LA for Dustin brown.

Old
01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Traktor*

Magnus Gagner Hemsky
Penner Brule Eberle
Omark Lander Cogliano
JFJ VandeV Stortini
Horcoff

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Hemsky isn't small, but I will forgive you and answer you anyway.

Gagner for sure, and if Eberle is ready to make the NHL then so be it, but it is between Eberle and O'Sullivan for the last "small" spot.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
How the hell can Omark even work with this team when the guy is only 5'8 and 165 pounds.I will say it right now that Omark is two small to be in the NHL.
So were Martin St.Louis and Theo Fleury.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:36 PM
BOUNCE

You keep Brule and Gagner. The Oiler's should continue to rebuild next season as well and I hope the give Omark a shot. Omark and Paajarvi could by dynamic togethere so I hope management gives them a chance.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:

I agree that this team needs to shed some of its talented softness. I don't know that I would have Hemsky on that list, as he isn't small at 6'0, 196 lbs, not that I think that he is untouchable, mind you. Also, he and Penner are our only legit top line players at the moment. I agree that the other players on the list are redundant in their style of play.

Hemsky is usually very effective on the ice is the difference; he's also a high level talent. I wasn't impressed with Hemmer's play this year, but I chalk it up to his injury. I'm not impressed with POS at all. Management has to start making some tough decisions to improve this team's ability to compete.

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 01-16-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If it had to happen,I would't mind a trade that sent Hemsky to LA for Dustin brown.
or to Pittsburgh for Staal?
or Anaheim for ryan or Perry?
or Philly for Carter?

or how about a young stud dman?

Are we a better team with

Eberle, gagner and Hemsky

or

Eberle, gagner and one of Brown, Stall, ryan, perry or carter

Old
01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
reginaoil

Quote:

The way I see it this season an evaluation of which two to keep has been going on. Between 4 smaller players Gagner, O'sullivan, Nilson, and Cogs.

IMO out of the 4 Nilson and O'sullivan should be gone at the trade deadline for picks.

Now next year Omark and Eberle should be added. The process should be repeated one more season.

Then we see which two to keep out of Gagner, Cogs, Omark and Eberle long term.

This is how I would go about picking the two. The final decision is still one more season away I hope.

This gives us time to make the right choice with this strategy.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Lion

Gagner & Eberle

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
The way I see it this season an evaluation of which two to keep has been going on. Between 4 smaller players Gagner, O'sullivan, Nilson, and Cogs.

IMO out of the 4 Nilson and O'sullivan should be gone at the trade deadline for picks.

Now next year Omark and Eberle should be added. The process should be repeated one more season.

Then we see which two to keep out of Gagner, Cogs, Omark and Eberle long term.

This is how I would go about picking the two. The final decision is still one more season away I hope.

This gives us time to make the right choice with this strategy.
Hello what about Brule? Everyone seems to be forgetting him.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
Brule plays a little like Peca; he doesn't play like his size.

Old
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
T-Funk

gagner and eberle
hemsky is not small

T-Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Mr Sakich

one more thing to consider, at the end of next year, Hemsky is one year from ufa. He is going to be paid like a point a game player - 6 mill + a year.

by the time we are a contender, he is gone.

Old
01-16-2010, 11:05 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
I don't include him because of his style of play. His size isn't an issue in the same way for others.

Old
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I think Cogliano and Nilsson will be out.

However, just for the record, I have to say that I really don't think the small forwards are what's wrong with this team.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
one more thing to consider, at the end of next year, Hemsky is one year from ufa. He is going to be paid like a point a game player - 6 mill + a year.

by the time we are a contender, he is gone.
I hope it isn't EDM. Hemsky is very overrated among EDM fans. Outside EDM who would give Hemsky that much?

Old
01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
I think Cogliano and Nilsson will be out.

However, just for the record, I have to say that I really don't think the small forwards are what's wrong with this team.
For the record, what do you think is wrong with this team?