HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's say at the deadline...

View Poll Results: How would you feel if Tamby isn't able to clear cap by the deadline?
Eh whatever, at least he tried? 8 15.09%
We'll be okay with Pisani off the books 4 7.55%
AHHHH TAMBY/LOWE DIEEEEEEE!!!!!! 41 77.36%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Semper Fidelis

vCash: 500
Let's say at the deadline...

Tambo isn't able to make any moves of significance. This means almost no cap is cleared and we continue the season with all the people who we should have moved to clear cap for Gagner and company.

This includes players such as:

Moreau
Staios
Souray
etc

What would happen to this forum?

Semper Fidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:24 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
my prediction is people will be VERY unhappy on march 4th 2010

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:29 AM
czar99

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I agree, and dumb poll.....sorry!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I agree, and dumb poll.....sorry!
Wasn't really a serious poll. Obviously this forum would erupt and go into suicidal mode.

All you can do at that point is just

Semper Fidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:31 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Tambo will probably do jack **** on trade deadline day.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:36 AM
czar99

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgagner View Post
Wasn't really a serious poll. Obviously this forum would erupt and go into suicidal mode.

All you can do at that point is just
Sorry my bad...to many wabbaly pops tonight!

P.S. Your gonna hate my next thread Me thinks!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:37 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see us doing much. teams won't want what we are offering. I mean teams would love to add penner or Vis, but tambo won't offer them. he will offer moreau, stiaos and souray and there will be no takers. I just hope to dump one.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Honest drunk assessment from Valic....

We are fuxz0red. We are gonna probably lose one of Souray/Staios/Moreau and likely 2 of Strudwick/Pisani/comrie for next year. I hope Horcoff has a turn around.

We will have a very similar roster except Eberle, Hemsky, Khabbi. Management will say hey we got a good draft pick, and we believe our team when healthy can compete for hte playoffs. I can hear the presser now. We will miss the playoffs again, hopefully a good player like Musil is available.

Oh well, I still watch the Oilers, every game, cheer them on, but secretly hope for Hall. Okay not so secretly.

Edit. We better bring over Omark whats the worst that happens? We suck and lose. I don't want another Mikhnov on our cases, what ifs and so on. If he comes and fails BIG DEAL. If he comes and succeeeds good. I would love to have a future lineup wiht Omark/Lander/MPS. Swedish connection!

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:13 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

We are fuxz0red. We are gonna probably lose one of Souray/Staios/Moreau and likely 2 of Strudwick/Pisani/comrie for next year. I hope Horcoff has a turn around.

We will have a very similar roster except Eberle, Hemsky, Khabbi. Management will say hey we got a good draft pick, and we believe our team when healthy can compete for hte playoffs. I can hear the presser now. We will miss the playoffs again, hopefully a good player like Musil is available.

Oh well, I still watch the Oilers, every game, cheer them on, but secretly hope for Hall. Okay not so secretly.

Edit. We better bring over Omark whats the worst that happens? We suck and lose. I don't want another Mikhnov on our cases, what ifs and so on. If he comes and fails BIG DEAL. If he comes and succeeeds good. I would love to have a future lineup wiht Omark/Lander/MPS. Swedish connection!
I just want the year to be over and for us to have hall.

People are so negative but some times some bad luck is the best thing you can have. if hemmer and bulin stay healthy we are close to a playoffs spot but probably don't make it. Eberle, MPS look like possilbe quality NHL players. adding another high pick to the mix would mean a lot.

some times luck plays a huge part, the oilers have actually not played that bad this year. horrid goaltending and some **** luck has us down. look at teams like the yotes and avs, I don't care what any one says they suck. just good luck.

We just need a new year and some luck for a change. I welcome watching the new young oilers, our luck is due to finally turn around.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:19 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
No excuses about how hard it is to make moves in a post-cap era. The GM needs to start making changes or turn over the reins to someone who can.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think you nailed it.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:04 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Meh if he doesn't get it done at the deadline he still has the draft and a few weeks before July 1st. If nothing happens by July 1st I'll be on the fire Tambo wagon.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Six in O6

Lubo for Boston's first.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
MinnesotaFats

I think that at this point the writing is on the wall for management - the record we need to make the playoffs is just short of impossible and the fact that we have been terrible (not mediocre) should signal to management that a rebuild is required. The addition of Hall, Seguin, or Fowler to a healthy roster next year is not enough to help this team turn it around.

On top of that, if we expect that MSP and Eberle are going to make the team next year, we have to move bodies. Tambo and Lowe will likely do everything they can to make some moves.

One of Souray or Lubo has to be gone. Id prefer that they start shopping these guys now and try to get a deal done before the Olympics. Over the past few years there have been some good moves made well before the deadline where GMs were willing to pay a high price to avoid the possibility of striking out at the deadline and missing what they need. Tambo should try to find a partner now and avoid missing the opportunity to deal one of those guys.

One of Staios or Moreau needs to go. Hopefully Moreau.

Two of Gagner, Cogs, Brule, Nilsson, and POS need to go. If Eberle is joining the team, we cant carry that many small forwards. I dont include Comrie on the list because I figure he wont be resigned. With the need for contracts space and so many small forwards already, that should be an easy decision despite how he played while actually in the line up. Hopefully Sully's play of late is priming him for a pump and dump to a contender.

Bottom line is that the hockey operations team has a lot of work to do leading up to the deadline. If they arent able to clear at least 3 roster spots and around $8-10M in salary, I will consider it a failure.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:47 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I think that at this point the writing is on the wall for management - the record we need to make the playoffs is just short of impossible and the fact that we have been terrible (not mediocre) should signal to management that a rebuild is required. The addition of Hall, Seguin, or Fowler to a healthy roster next year is not enough to help this team turn it around.

On top of that, if we expect that MSP and Eberle are going to make the team next year, we have to move bodies. Tambo and Lowe will likely do everything they can to make some moves.

One of Souray or Lubo has to be gone. Id prefer that they start shopping these guys now and try to get a deal done before the Olympics. Over the past few years there have been some good moves made well before the deadline where GMs were willing to pay a high price to avoid the possibility of striking out at the deadline and missing what they need. Tambo should try to find a partner now and avoid missing the opportunity to deal one of those guys.

Two of Gagner, Cogs, Brule, Nilsson, and POS need to go. If Eberle is joining the team, we cant carry that many small forwards. I dont include Comrie on the list because I figure he wont be resigned. With the need for contracts space and so many small forwards already, that should be an easy decision despite how he played while actually in the line up. Hopefully Sully's play of late is priming him for a pump and dump to a contender.

Bottom line is that the hockey operations team has a lot of work to do leading up to the deadline. If they arent able to clear at least 3 roster spots and around $8-10M in salary, I will consider it a failure.
Dude, you are the voice of reason, but it is the Oilers management we are talking about.The team's weaknesses were apparent last year--lack of size in the top 6, lack of a shut down D-man, no 3d line center...
What does Tambellini do? He trades for O'Sullivan and signs up Comrie, further adding to the glut of small forwards and compounding cap woes, while we still have no D that can play defense and no reliable 3d line center.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Excellent post, I agree with pretty well everything you've said though I think Moreau and Staios have to go even though I actually like Staios this year having been one of his harshest critics in the past.

I particularly agree with not waiting till the deadline. We have so many potential moves to make that I do not want to hear 'We were working on a few things but ran out of time' nonsense.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Lubo for Boston's first.
That return is too little for Vish, unless it's TO's first..

I'd rather get a young prospect or two. Otherwise, may as well keep him.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
That return is too little for Vish, unless it's TO's first..

I'd rather get a young prospect or two. Otherwise, may as well keep him.
I think he obviously meant Toronto's first which Boston has.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:11 AM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

I think that management would believe we have a good team and could mae the playoffs if half of our bottom and top six were made up of skating bears.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
JonQuixote

It's not the end of the world if we can't move out veterans, especially those with a year or so remaining on their contracts.

If the cap space must be cleared, there's always the farm team, re-entry waivers or buyouts.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Dude, you are the voice of reason, but it is the Oilers management we are talking about.The team's weaknesses were apparent last year--lack of size in the top 6, lack of a shut down D-man, no 3d line center...
What does Tambellini do? He trades for O'Sullivan and signs up Comrie, further adding to the glut of small forwards and compounding cap woes, while we still have no D that can play defense and no reliable 3d line center.
I think the difference this year though is that we are likely to finish in the bottom three of the league. It's going to be very hard for Tambo to deny that this is a bad team. Bulin wasn't great while he was healthy and JDD was actually better than him when he took over when Bulin was first injured. As for Hemsky, any decent team should be able to lose their best offensive player and still play .500 hockey.

If they haven't clued into the fact that this team is terrible ( as many fans did last year) then Tambo and Lowe are worse than I thought and need to be fired. Any thing else than 3-5 moves and $8-10 m in cap space cleared should be seen as a failure. Hopefully Katz is tired of spending money on a perrenial loser and has told them to start cutting salary

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Move something(s) to get a 12-18 pick to draft Nino Niederreiter and I'd be happy.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Move something(s) to get a 12-18 pick to draft Nino Niederreiter and I'd be happy.

His stock has skyrocketed. No chance in hell he's there at 18, and I'd be surprised if he was there at 12. Lots of people have him in the top 5 now.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I think the difference this year though is that we are likely to finish in the bottom three of the league. It's going to be very hard for Tambo to deny that this is a bad team. Bulin wasn't great while he was healthy and JDD was actually better than him when he took over when Bulin was first injured. As for Hemsky, any decent team should be able to lose their best offensive player and still play .500 hockey.

If they haven't clued into the fact that this team is terrible ( as many fans did last year) then Tambo and Lowe are worse than I thought and need to be fired. Any thing else than 3-5 moves and $8-10 m in cap space cleared should be seen as a failure. Hopefully Katz is tired of spending money on a perrenial loser and has told them to start cutting salary
Yes, but I am not holding my breath.

I think the next year is a write-off regardless. The management should do everything in their power to set the team nicely for 2011-12. Clearing salary is very important.

I would move Souray in the summer, hopefully for a young defensive d-man. I don't really want picks--they will take forever to develop.
Staios, Moreau, Nilsson, O'Sullivan are off the books next year and I don't want want any of them on the team in 2011-12 (if Tambellini can get rid of a few before then, so much the better).

That's the structure I want to see in 2011-12:

Penner-Seguin-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-Eberle
X-Horcoff-X (2 solid veteran checkers)
JFJ-X-Stortini (cheap veteran 4th line center--Betts, Reasoner type)

Visnovsky-Smid
Gilbert-X (young defensive d-man)
X-X (at least one cheap veteran bottom 6 d-man).

Habibulin/JDD

Out: Souray, Staios, Moreau, Pisani, Nilsson, Comrie, O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Grebeshkov

In: Seguin, Eberle, MPS, 3 veteran bottom 6 forwards, top 4 defensive d-man, one or 2 veteran bottom-pairing D.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Meh if he doesn't get it done at the deadline he still has the draft and a few weeks before July 1st. If nothing happens by July 1st I'll be on the fire Tambo wagon.
this

If Tambo doesnt even try to clean up this mess he needs to go and someone with a pair needs to be brought in.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote