HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Preemtive Team Building

Old
01-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Preemtive Team Building

Although there is no guarantee all three will become full-time NHL'ers, there is a strong possibility that we could have three Swedish players on this team in the next 1-2 seasons.

With no current Swedes on the roster, and only Nilsson of Swedish origins, I started to look at some possible/plausible options to bring in a Swedish veteran to help them acclimatize to the game and to their new surroundings, as I think this could make a big difference in pushing along their development.

The ideal guy would have to be old enough that he could be considered a veteran, but young enough that he could assist in the rebuild and stick around for 2-4 years.

Scanning through UFA's, the only real options that fit the bill are Henrik Tallinder (age 31) and Kim Johnsson (33), any other options out there that might fit the bill? I like the idea of having a veteran here that can pull these guys along. Thomas Holmstom would be a nice addition even though he's 36, but I don't see him leaving Detroit at this point.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:24 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Uhmm....why don't they just keep Nilsson?

Personally, I think the whole idea of a team having to have veterans around "for the young guys" is overrated. Most of the time, the two groups of guys have nothing in common and spend little time together on or off the ice.

I think the Oilers would be better off having a bunch of young guys without vets. Let them all grow together as a team.

The only time I see where the veteran leadership might make a difference is when you've got a solid quality NHL vet defenseman mentoring a younger defenseman.

For forwards though, I just don't think it's necessary, and in fact - I think having a mix of old guys with young guys really creates a lot of disparity on the team.

...just my opinion....

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Boilers*

Remember when Dopita was brought in to mentor Hemsky. They'd go out to lunch together and basically Ales said, "We have not much in common since he's so much older than me." Then he sort of laughed nervously.
Lander and Paajaarvi ought to be enough for each other with Nilsson showing them how to dress..

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:47 AM
mactforcoach

I have to agree that it might be better to let a young team grow together, it worked out ok in the dynasty era. With Nilsson on the team he can help with their english, and be somewhat of a mentor while still being young enough to grow up along side the rest of the kids. Having the odd vet around is fine as long as he's a great role model both on and off the ice.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

It was either MSP or Lander, Im leaning more towards MSP, that mentioned Rowbear was a player he looked up to growing up. It was also in connection to a "What do you know about the Oilers" question in reference to Kent Nilsson.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
It was either MSP or Lander, Im leaning more towards MSP, that mentioned Rowbear was a player he looked up to growing up. It was also in connection to a "What do you know about the Oilers" question in reference to Kent Nilsson.
I think it might have been Rowbear's Daddy, not Rowbear in himself.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:26 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
I think it might have been Rowbear's Daddy, not Rowbear in himself.
yeah, pretty certain this was this the case... referenced the magic nickname a few times if I recall

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
yeah, pretty certain this was this the case... referenced the magic nickname a few times if I recall
Well, to be fair his son can be magic at times too. Disappearing for games at a time.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:58 AM
MDupont

Just curious. We keep talking about young guys and vets etc. When does a young guy become a vet?

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
Just curious. We keep talking about young guys and vets etc. When does a young guy become a vet?
When the fans start wanting him shipped out.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote