HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Spezza demand to be traded?

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 10:50 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Would Spezza demand to be traded?

When Jason Spezza was sent down after his 1st ever camp with Ottawa he said: "I will remember this".

Last playoffs, they didn't dress him. Then they lacked offence so they put him in uniform and he came through vs NJ.

He has a good season for his first full year with the team, being amongst the top 60 scorers in the NHL.

The playoffs start and he gets scratched. The Sens can't score on Belfour often enough so they keep him out of uniform in game7.

The management and coaching staff obviously have no faith in the kid. Spezza is not known as a "behind the team no matter what" guy like Rob Ray for example. I was wondering if Spezza might ask to be traded to a team that would appreciate his skills. Wouldn't surprise me at all!

If it does happen, how about Ribeiro + Garon for Spezza?

And before you flame me, remember: Ribeiro is the 2nd line centre of a team that did make it out of the 1st round. Spezza was a healthy scratch on a team that didn't make it out of the 1st round. Also, Ribeiro finished ahead (30th) of Spezza in points in the regular season.
Garon can play and he's ready for number 1 duties. He's only one year younger than Theodore.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:51 PM
SENSfreak_03

maybe, unless martin is fired or resignes, then he will start fresh with a new coach.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:51 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Ribeiro is no solution to our Center problem.
And when did Spezza say "I will remember this"? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats hooey.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
And when did Spezza say "I will remember this"? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats hooey.
He did say it. I guarantee it. Management sent him down because "we don't want the same thing to happen to him that hapenned to Alexandre Daigle". Spezza was insulted and said "I am nothing like Daigle".

Old
04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
I must agree, Ribeiro is DEFINITELY nowhere near what the Sens want, that'd be an about face on a very good change to the team. I mean, Spezza is already better than Ribeiro, and Prusek is about equal to Garon...so "why" would be my question...

If anything, Sens will be threatened by Spezza with a "don't try that with me again..." type approach. If it happens again, and he asks for a trade, move him for a 1st rounder, and another highly touted centre prospect/young player. No problem just yet, so have no fear...the big bad Habs fans won't steal away Spezza for half a bag of peanuts and by dangling a guy who can stop pucks, but is no better than your backup currently.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:59 PM
SENSable

I don't think this will be an issue. I believe both Martin and Bonk will be gone, making room for Spezza who will (hopefully) forget all the bad feelings and thrive under a different coach.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:08 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

move him for a 1st rounder, and another highly touted centre prospect/young player. No problem just yet, so have no fear...the big bad Habs fans won't steal away Spezza for half a bag of peanuts and by dangling a guy who can stop pucks, but is no better than your backup currently.
Hah! Ribeiro is a bag of pucks ey? He has 2 goals these series. How many of your "skilled forwards" have 2 goals in 7 games? The guy led a playoff team in scoring in the regular season. More than I can say for Spezza. And Garon can play. Just needs a shot ..which he won't get in Mtl.

But hey, if you're looking for an inferior package... "1st rounder, and another highly touted centre prospect/young player"? How about a 1st rounder and Plekanec? leads a top AHL team in scoring, AHL all-star in his 2nd season and got 3 assists in his 1st playoff game tonight. But like I said... You're asking for an inferior package.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:11 PM
hardcore_fan

I think when he said "I'll remeber this", that it was more in the I'll use it for motivation vein than a spiteful statement.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:22 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_fan
I think when he said "I'll remeber this", that it was more in the I'll use it for motivation vein than a spiteful statement.
Nope. The kid was real pissed when he said it. I remember it well.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Hah! Ribeiro is a bag of pucks ey? He has 2 goals these series. How many of your "skilled forwards" have 2 goals in 7 games?
How many of our "skilled forwards" played against an uninspired team with a rookie goalie?

Old
04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Prusek is about equal to Garon...
As I don't think Spezza will be traded, nor that the Sens should do such a move, this is ridiculous. Prusek sucks hard guys (can he control a rebound? just one?), Garon is almost ready to be a starter, and he could seriously be better than Theodore, he is at this very moment, 10 times better than Prusek.

But keep Spezza, he'll be a heck of a player.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:45 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
How many of our "skilled forwards" played against an uninspired team with a rookie goalie?
That's not the point. The point is that calling Ribeiro a bag of pucks is.... we... pretty ******** if you've watched him play this season.

And wether Raycroft was in his 1st season or not is irrelevant. He did fine. The big line choked. That's why they lost. A few other veterans (Lapointe) didn't do much either.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:07 AM
dakota

Spezza, Vokchenkov, Bonk for Bertuzzi? Is that ok value? or too much for Bert... imo he is exactly what the sens need.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:16 AM
joepeps

Yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
Spezza, Vokchenkov, Bonk for Bertuzzi? Is that ok value? or too much for Bert... imo he is exactly what the sens need.
If I were Spezza, I would ask to be traded right now...

4th leading point getter on the team
2nd in plus minus to Chara

COME ON...

Is that any way to treat your top player????????

Leafs will take him lol.. he rather play in Toronto anywayz

Old
04-21-2004, 12:18 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
espion,

Ribeiro..is...uuhh...how can I say this nicely...a girl.

He's probably the biggest WIMP in the NHL...the Sens organization wants no part of him unless he's flailing on the ground faking an injury for the opposition.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

Quote:
That is WAY too much for Bertuzzi. You could get almost any player in the NHL for that package.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:21 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Are you nuts?

Oh my jesus...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...too much...get a grip...take a couple of days off from being pissed off...then we'll talk.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Vermette earned the right to play ahead of Spezza with his dedication, better rounded game and better work ethic. Spezza has to work harder or become a lazy SOB!

Old
04-21-2004, 12:24 AM
joepeps

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Vermette earned the right to play ahead of Spezza with his dedication, better rounded game and better work ethic. Spezza has to work harder or become a lazy SOB!
YOur a joke....

Old
04-21-2004, 12:25 AM
joepeps

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
YOur a joke....
Sit Bondra and Krusty.. there lazy *****...

PLay Spezza... maybe if you actually show his some respect he would play...

Old
04-21-2004, 12:53 AM
zzzzzd

Send a message via MSN to zzzzzd Send a message via Yahoo to zzzzzd
How many shots did Speeza have..umm let me count....3 games......-1....with 1 thats right 1 sog.... Speeza didnt deserve to play and jm knew it and when he put him in Speeza proved jm's point.... dont trust me http://www.ottawasenators.com/stats/0304/regstats.aro

Old
04-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzd
How many shots did Speeza have..umm let me count....3 games......-1....with 1 thats right 1 sog.... Speeza didnt deserve to play and jm knew it and when he put him in Speeza proved jm's point.... dont trust me http://www.ottawasenators.com/stats/0304/regstats.aro
Thank God someone else is not wearing Spezza goggles.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:15 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
In the three games Spezza played ..

Code:
Game                   Ice Time
4/12 (L 0-2)  -         11:55
4/14 (W 4-1)  -          8:40
4/16 (L 0-2)  -          8:38
Average: 9:44

Is it safe to assume he was given a fair shot to begin with? I can't attest to who he played with as I wasn't able to watch the entire series start to finish, but an average of 9 minutes isn't a lot for an offensive player - it certainly isn't enough to expect production.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Vlad The Impaler

If I held the rights to Spezza, it would take a hell of a package (or one truly great player) to part with him. The kid has upside like we rarely see.

I have said for two years that Jacques Martin has handled him wrong. It is no surprise that Spezza is still a non-factor for the Sens. Good coaches know how to get more out of their talented players.

If he had been handled right, Spezza would already #1b center and ready to be undisputed #1 center next year. Instead, he's been mishandled and the Sens will go golfing, as usual.

Time for the Sens to make big adjustments because this team is supremely talented and they have the potential to be a force with a few moves.

Ribeiro is the last thing the Sens need. They already have enough players who are showing shaky commitment at times as well as brash overconfidence and Ribeiro would only aggravate the situation.

Old
04-21-2004, 07:52 AM
SensGod

agree Vlad...on all points.

My question is this...

Is Olli Jokkinen any good at faceoffs?

Closed Thread