HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Official Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Once you hit the 20's you might as well draft the super-talented russian. Imagine if Filatov fell to 22. You'd take him in a heartbeat.
The 22 pick the year Filatov was drafted was Jordan Eberle.

No, I dont, in a heartbeat.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

At that time if Filatov feel to 22 you wouldn't draft him

Old
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Once you hit the 20's you might as well draft the super-talented russian.
I'm inclined to agree. Picks that low always have obvious flaws and are complete crap shoots anyway, so as long as you're rolling the dice, roll it for some serious up-side.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:

My point is you don't ignore the BPA just because of where they are from. If you have similar players, you may choose the non-Russian, but once you reach the point in the draft where one player is immensely more talented with a higher upside, you have to go for the Russian. Back in 2008 you'd be called insane for choosing Eberle over Filatov.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
You would have to think Gillis will likely go for a defenseman this time around unless a forward who is the obvious BPA is still available like Schroeder last year right?

Hopefully we are picking 30th but a reasonable estimate would indicate we are likely to pick between the 22nd spot and 30th spot.

Forbort seems like a pretty intriguing prospect to me but realistically I don't think he'll be around when we pick.

Few guys i wouldn't mind picking up are Alex Petrovic (D, Red Deer), Dylan McIlrath (D, Moose Jaw), Brad Ross (LW, Portland), Jeff Skinner (LW, Kitchener), and Joey Hishon (C, Owen Sound).

Petrovic is an all around solid defenseman. Doesn't do anything that particularly jumps out at you but he is very solid defensively, doesn't make many mistakes and can chip in offensively. He is a pretty safe pick IMO.

McIlrath is one of the most feared guys in the WHL right now and he's a giant on defense. From what I've seen from him hes a solid defensive player that is hard to beat coming out of the corners, and did I mention he is one mean SOB?

Ross is also becoming one of the most hated guys in the WHL. He is great offensively, has great footspeed, isn't a liability on defense and he hits everything in site. People have been comparing him to a Steve Ott type player with more talent. He's is becoming one of my draft favourites to watch this year.

And Skinner and Hishon are both OHL offensive dynamos. I don't understand one bit why CSS has Skinner ranked #47 on their Mid-term list because I really believe this guy is a top 15 talent. He has an extremely accurate hard shot and has very good play-making skills to go along with it. Hishon reminds me a bit of the way Patrick Kane played when he played for the Knights a few years ago. A slow start and breaking his foot earlier this season may be the reason for his drop in the rankings
Thanks for your input, Canuck.

I am a fan of Hishon and Skinner and think that McIlrath is somebody who may slide, would take a flyer on him in round 3.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:55 AM
CAPiTA

As much as we need defensive prospects, I maintain that we take BPA wherever we pick. Given the glut of 1st/2nd round talent at forward, chances are we take another, especially given the uncertainty of Hodgson's back. I'd like to see us take a guy with size like Ryan Martindale, but I'd also be happy with a small skilled guy like Skinner or Burmistrov, who will likely be wingers when they turn pro. You can't find raw talent like that often. Given the way they play, they both have 1st line potential if they can overcome their size.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
My point is you don't ignore the BPA just because of where they are from. If you have similar players, you may choose the non-Russian, but once you reach the point in the draft where one player is immensely more talented with a higher upside, you have to go for the Russian. Back in 2008 you'd be called insane for choosing Eberle over Filatov.
And today they'd call me insane like a fox.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Our first round pick is going to end up being traded to Atlanta.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
And today they'd call me insane like a fox.
I dont think the ship has sailed on Filatov.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I dont think the ship has sailed on Filatov.
Wouldn't trade any of our top prospects for him.

Maybe a low first round pick. Like 24-30.

What if he thinks AV makes him work too hard?

Old
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I wouldn't have taken Filatov over Hodgson the day we drafted them...and I still wouldn't.

01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Wouldn't trade any of our top prospects for him.

Maybe a low first round pick. Like 24-30.

What if he thinks AV makes him work too hard?
It's a gamble considering that he's in the KHL and may stay there. And yes, I'd trade a low first for him.

I dont think that Brule was too happy in Columbus either though.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I wouldn't have taken Filatov over Hodgson the day we drafted them...and I still wouldn't.
Hodgson is a dying star. A white dwarf headed for a black hole. That's physics. It's inevitable.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Hodgson is a dying star. A white dwarf headed for a black hole. That's physics. It's inevitable.
Should have drafted Kyle Beach.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
wetcoastwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Should have drafted Kyle Beach.
Or maybe Myers

Old
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
GotKush*

Quote:
1 of the dumbest posts ive seen. congrats!

Old
01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
As much as we need defensive prospects, I maintain that we take BPA wherever we pick. Given the glut of 1st/2nd round talent at forward, chances are we take another, especially given the uncertainty of Hodgson's back. I'd like to see us take a guy with size like Ryan Martindale, but I'd also be happy with a small skilled guy like Skinner or Burmistrov, who will likely be wingers when they turn pro. You can't find raw talent like that often. Given the way they play, they both have 1st line potential if they can overcome their size.
Burmistrov is another guy I really like. He has a typical Russian skill set(speed, hands, vision, finesse), and if we were 100% sure he wouldn't head back home I would gladly take him. But we really do need a top notch defensive prospect to add to our club and if there is one available I really hope Gillis doesn't hesitate to take him.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
What's the general consensus about the talent level of the draft this year? Is this going to be a strong or a weak draft year?
Consensus seems to be a decent year, but not nearly as deep in the first round like '08 or even '09. Supposedly a very, very deep year for goaltenders--not so much any goalie going top 10, but there should be good depth going into rounds 2 and 3 unlike last year.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
NowitzkisBrownNugget

What's your guy's takes on Burmistrov, Riley Sheahan and Teemu Pulkinnen?

Old
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I totally agree with choosing the BPA, regardless of position or nationality. But with that being said, it doesn't mean you can't redefine the criteria for BPA depending on both those things.

As one poster mentioned already, all things being perfectly equal between two players you would likely draft a non Russian over a Russian because of the risk associated with them potentially not playing here. As soon as you make that claim (which I wholeheartedly agree with) you're basically changing which player is the BPA.

I don't see how a players nationality, depending on the circumstances, doesn't enter the conversation of who to pick any less than about a hundred other factors you discuss.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowitzkisBrownNugget View Post
What's your guy's takes on Burmistrov, Riley Sheahan and Teemu Pulkinnen?
If any of them were available at 30 I'd take them.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKush View Post
1 of the dumbest posts ive seen. congrats!
right back at you. Perhaps if you came up with a better nickname than GOTKUSH and actually laid off the weed, you'd understand SARCASM and it's a quote from Tropic Thunder.

Then again, you have a photo of Clay Guida, so i suspect you've taken one too many shots to the head.

Old
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
GotKush*

Quote:
right back at you. Perhaps if you came up with a better nickname than GOTKUSH and actually laid off the weed, you'd understand SARCASM and it's a quote from Tropic Thunder.

Then again, you have a photo of Clay Guida, so i suspect you've taken one too many shots to the head.
Good 1 bud, bash my username and avatar. You're a real hot shot. And that movie was pretty horrible so I appoligize for not reckognizing the quote. Back on topic, there are a couple of Russians rated pretty highly among scouting services. It wouldn't be a suprise to see 1 of them fall to us. We don't have enough draft history of Gillis to know if he would take a chance on a Russian with his first round pick. I think maybe the top 10 isn't as strong as say the last couple drafts, but the first few rounds could see some pretty good players selected. If possible it would be nice to see Gillis pick up a 2nd as we don't have one, but that seems unlikely as if anything the Canucks will be buyers at the deadline. Who knows about what Gillis has visioned for the off season. Maybe a trade involving Shneider and 1 of our RFA's (Hansen maybe)???

Old
01-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKush View Post
Good 1 bud, bash my username and avatar. You're a real hot shot. And that movie was pretty horrible so I appoligize for not reckognizing the quote. Back on topic, there are a couple of Russians rated pretty highly among scouting services. It wouldn't be a suprise to see 1 of them fall to us. We don't have enough draft history of Gillis to know if he would take a chance on a Russian with his first round pick. I think maybe the top 10 isn't as strong as say the last couple drafts, but the first few rounds could see some pretty good players selected. If possible it would be nice to see Gillis pick up a 2nd as we don't have one, but that seems unlikely as if anything the Canucks will be buyers at the deadline. Who knows about what Gillis has visioned for the off season. Maybe a trade involving Shneider and 1 of our RFA's (Hansen maybe)???
Tarasenko and Kabanov are the highest ranked Russians if my memory is correct.

Tarasenko may fall for the simple fact that he's in the KHL and may not come over. If the Canucks are picking in the mid 20s, I'd take a chance at him.

The Canucks are in need of a dman and this draft seems like it has ALOT of American born dmen in it. I would still take the BPA approach but if there's a tie between a forward and a dman, i'll go with the Dman.

Old
01-20-2010, 04:32 AM
tilson23

I would love to get my hands on Niederreiter, even if we should focus on D, but I doubt he'll fall past his current rating of 21st (I have a feeling he'll climb to the 15 range).

Although, I would be very happy with Tinordi or Merrill. Seems like a great crop of US defense coming through this year. I've also heard talk of Dylan McIlrath being quite a good D prospect (although off the board a bit for a 1st RDer). The guy is big, can fight, is feared, and has a decent offensive arsenal.

EDIT: Just read the January rankings and Nino has moved up to 16th so there goes that wish.

Last edited by tilson23: 01-20-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Closed Thread