HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

1/17/10 Does this teams sill need to add a superstar?

View Poll Results: Does this teams sill need to add a superstar?
if by superstar you mean draft youth, yes 50 90.91%
through trades yes 2 3.64%
we have superstars, who knows what's wrong with them now 0 0%
i don't know anymore 2 3.64%
other, please explain 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
So....you're saying you think he's going to be more productive than Hemsky?
Is that really worthy of a headshake?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
So....you're saying you think he's going to be more productive than Hemsky?
He's doing a hell of a lot more at 20 years old than Hemsky ever did. And not taking his age into consideration is ridiculous. He hasn't been given prime minutes like you say, he's spent most of his career playing behind Horcoff. He's not getting anymore opportunity than a guy like Kessel was getting as a 20 year old.

And skating is not the "primary skill to be an NHL player". First of all, are you really trying to tell me that he doesn't belong in the NHL? Seriously. And you're saying that every elite player in the league is an elite skater as well? That's ********. Gagner is certainly not slow, and he has an amazing head for the game. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to put up 50 points as an undersized 18 year old in the NHL.

You're clearly biased against Gagner, so there's really no point in discussing this with you. I guess you're just angry that he'll be taking ice time away from your boy O'Sullivan for as long as they're both on the team.

Edit: Speaking of which, you love O'Sullivan, but he's played 254 games, and actually accomplished less than Gagner.

Last edited by Arpeggio: 01-17-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I just added another one, a short one, but would you trade Gagner and Visnovsky for Toronto's 1st and a short term salary dump? http://bryanbryoil.blogspot.com/2010...agner-and.html
Whoa nelly. That is such an overpayment and Boston can't afford to take Vis's salary and reup Gagner.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
He's doing a hell of a lot more at 20 years old than Hemsky ever did. And not taking his age into consideration is ridiculous. He hasn't been given prime minutes like you say, he's spent most of his career playing behind Horcoff. He's not getting anymore opportunity than a guy like Kessel was getting as a 20 year old.

And skating is not the "primary skill to be an NHL player". First of all, are you really trying to tell me that he doesn't belong in the NHL? Seriously. And you're saying that every elite player in the league is an elite skater as well? That's ********. Gagner is certainly not slow, and he has an amazing head for the game. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to put up 50 points as an undersized 18 year old in the NHL.

You're clearly biased against Gagner, so there's really no point in discussing this with you. I guess you're just angry that he'll be taking ice time away from your boy O'Sullivan for as long as they're both on the team.

Edit: Speaking of which, you love O'Sullivan, but he's played 254 games, and actually accomplished less than Gagner.
Wow, you sure are touchy. Hockey is played on ice, thus, making ice skating a primary NHL skill. [seriously? you didn't know?]. And no, I never said I didn't think Gagner is an NHL player. I don't think he's an NHL center. This season the average ice time per game for Gagner is 16:63, O'Sullivan's average ice time per game is 17:50. How is 117 points more accomplished than 141 points? Perhaps I'm biased when it comes to O'Sullivan, but.....maybe you should look in the mirror before calling the kettle black, eh?

Anyway.....I agree with you about one thing, there's no point in discussing this with you.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
BBO

It has been suggested that I need to be nicer around here sometimes--you make it hard--How could the BB's offord Lubor 5.6 cap hit for the next 4 years?

and right now--some people would suggest that Lubir and Gagner do and up to a pick in the top 4
Moving Ryder to us ($4 million) and dropping Morris who will be an UFA after this season ($3.3 million).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Whoa nelly. That is such an overpayment and Boston can't afford to take Vis's salary and reup Gagner.
See above about the affording part and like I said in my blog add a 2nd rounder if it seems too lopsided the other way. Or we make it in such a way that if this years pick isn't in the top 4 we get both Boston's and Toronto's pick next season if we so decide to.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Wow, you sure are touchy. Hockey is played on ice, thus, making ice skating a primary NHL skill. [seriously? you didn't know?]. And no, I never said I didn't think Gagner is an NHL player. I don't think he's an NHL center. This season the average ice time per game for Gagner is 16:63, O'Sullivan's average ice time per game is 17:50. How is 117 points more accomplished than 141 points? Perhaps I'm biased when it comes to O'Sullivan, but.....maybe you should look in the mirror before calling the kettle black, eh?

Anyway.....I agree with you about one thing, there's no point in discussing this with you.
I didn't say that ice skating is not an important skill, I said that being an elite skater is not essential to being a good player. Plenty of players have proved that point to be true. Gagner has scored at a higher ppg level than O'Sullivan, and did that straight out of junior. He's also progressing, whereas O'Sullivan has been in a bit of a rut. That said, O'Sullivan looks like he's turning it around this year, and is going to be a good player. I like both players. But it's pretty clear to just about anybody (but you) that Gagner has a high ceiling, much higher than O'Sullivan.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
How is 117 points more accomplished than 141 points? Perhaps I'm biased when it comes to O'Sullivan, but.....maybe you should look in the mirror before calling the kettle black, eh?

Brad May > both then, since he has 288 career points.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote