HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Karl Alzner

Old
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
highoffglass
Cheers!

vCash: 500
Karl Alzner

Ever since Alzner played in the world juniors, I have always loved the way he plays. With the emergence of Jeff Schultz, and the great play of Mike Green, has Karl Alzner found himself on the outside looking in? Or is he still in the caps future?

I haven't seen him play, but I would love to see him in a leafs jersey. Would Washington have any interest in Kaberle? And if they do, could Alzner be included in the trade?

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:11 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Alzner is very unlikely to be traded. He's probably one of the key "cheap" pieces for the Caps' cap future.

Kaberle isn't the type of Dman the Caps need right now (he'd be great to have, no doubt, but he's not the type they'd pay full value for given their primary needs). He might be worth a player of Alzner's caliber, but the Caps wouldn't make that trade.

GMGM (apparently) wasn't willing to include Alzner in a deal for Pronger, so that should tell you how likely he is to be traded in any realistic deals.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKadri View Post
Ever since Alzner played in the world juniors, I have always loved the way he plays. With the emergence of Jeff Schultz, and the great play of Mike Green, has Karl Alzner found himself on the outside looking in? Or is he still in the caps future?

I haven't seen him play, but I would love to see him in a leafs jersey. Would Washington have any interest in Kaberle? And if they do, could Alzner be included in the trade?
In short. No. With Poti and Pothier coming to the end of their contracts, having young, cheap and potential stud dmen we don't have to rush to replace them is a luxury this franchise has never had.

Understanding the more valuable player right now would be Kaberle, the future value would not be enough.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Alzner is very unlikely to be traded. He's probably one of the key "cheap" pieces for the Caps' cap future.

Kaberle isn't the type of Dman the Caps need right now (he'd be great to have, no doubt, but he's not the type they'd pay full value for given their primary needs). He might be worth a player of Alzner's caliber, but the Caps wouldn't make that trade.

GMGM (apparently) wasn't willing to include Alzner in a deal for Pronger, so that should tell you how likely he is to be traded in any realistic deals.
But the caps would have some interest in Kaberle?

how a bout something like:

Michal Neuvirth
Andrew Gordon
Cody Eakin/ Stefan Della-rovere
1st

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps are just waiting until they can play Alzner and Carlson regularly in their top six. For now, the Caps are a little thin on defense, but they remain very high on these two young players. Both have had at least a cup of coffee this year, and gained lots of ice time in Hershey.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

For Caps management, 25 minutes+ with both special teams play, is more important for their development (Alzner and Carlson) than playing in the NHL now. Not to mention, controlling more of their financial aspects this way. Alzner would be here right now, if not for needing to play a few more games to play in the AHL during the Olympic break.

Personally, I could see Alzner go, but it would have to be for a top end stud coming back, and I'm not sure Kaberle fits all the needs to be that guy.

However, baring that, I think the Caps feel he is going to be a mainstay in the NHL and on the blueline for a while.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
phillipmike

If i am the Caps i would be keeping young talent. Washington has a lot of young dynamic players looking for a raise. When these young guns come in at a steal of a price it will be able to off-set the big money they would have to give to their impact players.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Alex28*

Untouchable unless you have a cup clinching piece on a good contract coming back.

Alzner is exactly everything the current Caps roster is missing wrapped up in one stellar prospect who will be cheap for the next 5-6 years. It would be like the Leafs trading a center prospect with a high offensive ceiling and good all around game. Or the Oilers trading a surefire top notch goaltending prospect. Or the Penguins trading a power forward with a scoring touch prospect.

You get the idea.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Spence334

IMO I think ottawa would be willing to do Volch+ a bit more for Alzner.

Is the value there?

Spence334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I wouldn't mind Anton coming here, but not at the cost of Carlson or Alzner.

Old
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Karlsson View Post
IMO I think ottawa would be willing to do Volch+ a bit more for Alzner.

Is the value there?
I'd say yes. Volchenkov would be huge for our cup run and seems like a down to earth guy we could resign long term for Orpik money.

Though I'd be much comfortable doing a 1st + Osala + Bouchard/A. Gordon for Volchenkov.

Possibly Volchenkov + Ottawa and SJ's 2nds for Alzner I'd do, but I don't think either side likes that deal.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

I can't see why the Caps would have any reason to deal Alzner.

They're feasting right now, and rentals never cost a team a player with KA's pedigree.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:01 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post

Wasn't it John Carlsson that the Caps GM didn't want to trade in a deal that would bring Pronger to the Capitals?

Anyways, I don't see any reason why the Capitals would trade Alzner. He's a great prospect and will be huge in the future for the Capitals.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 8 View Post
Wasn't it John Carlsson that the Caps GM didn't want to trade in a deal that would bring Pronger to the Capitals?

Anyways, I don't see any reason why the Capitals would trade Alzner. He's a great prospect and will be huge in the future for the Capitals.
Carlson, Alzner, and Varlamov were all mentioned as part of a potential trade that the Caps declined.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Michal Neuvirth
Andrew Gordon
1st
That's a lot for DC to give up for anyone let alone Kaberle. I'd rather have Phaneuf or Jack Johnson (other defenseman mentioned to be moved) prior to Kaberle. They need a stud on the back end while Carlson beefs up and Alzner get more ice time. That said, I'm also not 100% sure GMGM is sold on Varly just yet, with Theo off the books next year, I could easily see the two youngsters splitting time next year. They are also VERY high on Eakin and SDR.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Foy

Quote:

Michal Neuvirth
Andrew Gordon
1st
that's double what the Caps would be willing to give up.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 8 View Post

The talk was it was a 1st, Varly/Neuvirth, Carlson/Alzner and maybe something else.

McPhee said he wasn't going to do Anaheim's rebuild for them.

Old
01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps really have no reason to deal him, is essentially the message.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
artilector

Quote:

Michal Neuvirth
Andrew Gordon
1st
It's a bit risky with Varlamov's recent injury history, but I'd do it. It's a lot of assets, but getting Kaberle while retaining all the top skating prospects would be a huge boost to the Caps.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

I'd give up quite a bit to get a BWC alumni back in B.C.

Can't see him being traded though.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
C-A-P-S

Alzner and Carlson won't be moved they are pretty much core players for this team. Alnzer as well as Carlson looking to be in the top six next season.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:18 AM
backs4mvp

I don't see the caps moving either Carlson or Alzner.

Morrisonn, LH, LD, expiring UFA, Defensive dman
Pothier, RH, RD, expiring UFA, Offensive dman

Alzner, LH, LD, on his ELC, Defensive dman with puckmoving skills
Carlson, RH, RD, on his ELC, all-around/offensive dman with size and some physicality

Just makes too much sense

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:23 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The Caps really have no reason to deal him, is essentially the message.
A player like Volchenkov really could be the key to a Capitals Cup run, though.

If you're going to take a run at it before Semin, Backstrom, and the rest of your FAs need to get paid, it seems like going after Volchenkov now could be a good idea.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:10 AM
txpd

Volchenkov isnt going to be traded either

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:55 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
A player like Volchenkov really could be the key to a Capitals Cup run, though.

If you're going to take a run at it before Semin, Backstrom, and the rest of your FAs need to get paid, it seems like going after Volchenkov now could be a good idea.
Alzner's very unlikely to be moved at all, and there's virtually no chance he's moved for a rental like Volchenkov.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote