HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ladislav Smid. Our best Dman now and untouchable

Old
01-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
Ladislav Smid. Our best Dman now and untouchable

I'm not really one to start threads but I just have to say that personally I think Ladislav Smid is now our most consistent defenceman and I think so far has been our best. He's only getting better. While he doesn't get too many points, he does a great job of carrying the puck out, makes safe plays and is tough as well. He has to be considered untouchable. One of a handful I would not trade. While many will think Souray or Lubo are better I disagree. Lubo is not earning his contract and Souray wants out. I also think Grebs has shown he is a keeper although he has had an off season compared to last year. He's young and like Smid, has a big upside.

Opinions? Thanks

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

I think Grebs and Smid would make a great pairing next year.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
Lubo is not earning his contract
Wait... what?

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
I'm not really one to start threads but I just have to say that personally I think Ladislav Smid is now our most consistent defenceman and I think so far has been our best. He's only getting better. While he doesn't get too many points, he does a great job of carrying the puck out, makes safe plays and is tough as well. He has to be considered untouchable. One of a handful I would not trade. While many will think Souray or Lubo are better I disagree. Lubo is not earning his contract and Souray wants out. I also think Grebs has shown he is a keeper although he has had an off season compared to last year. He's young and like Smid, has a big upside.

Opinions? Thanks
The thread sais "best dman", Visnovsky is our best dman. Smid is the best value on the blueline, and I agree that he should be on the untouchables list, but Visnovsky is our best dman.

I've loved Smid for a while now, and eventhough he still has some poor outings, he has the make-up to be an affordable top-4 defenseman for us for the next 10 years.

He is the last defenseman I'd want to move, but today, Visnovsky is the best defenseman, and I wouldn't even go as far as saying he's over-payed, maybe by half a mill or so.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Loweball

I should have worded my post differently. I love Lubo but I don't think he is worth what we are paying him and would trade him immediately. If we are rebuilding there is no point keeping him. And he is far more mistake prone and not as good as everyone thinks around here. Smid is more consistent IMO.

Put it this way. Is Lubo worth three times Smid's salary. No way.

Old
01-17-2010, 04:21 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Wait... what?

7mill a year with a cap hit of 5.6

I think he is earning is pay--he is just not flashy

Souray with 3goals and 9 assists on the other hand in another story

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Lessy

I'm as big a Smid fan as you'll find but Lubo is still considerably better. I think Lubo and Staios have done a great job mentoring Laddy over the past few years. If I'm Tambellini he's the most untouchable player on my roster.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I'm as big a Smid fan as you'll find but Lubo is still considerably better. I think Lubo and Staios have done a great job mentoring Laddy over the past few years. If I'm Tambellini he's the most untouchable player on my roster.

That's more what I meant. Smid is the most untouchable player on this team.

If you are giving the award TODAY for best Oiler defenceman this year, who gets it? Consider injuries, consistency, etc? Ladi has a great plus minus too. Anyone on the + side on our crappy team is doing something right.

Old
01-17-2010, 04:30 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
While I do agree that Smid is awesome, Lubo is by far our best defenceman. Souray does not want out!

TowMater14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
While I do agree that Smid is awesome, Lubo is by far our best defenceman. Souray does not want out!
WE will have to disagree on Souray respectfully. I have no doubt in my mind he wants NO PART of a rebuild. That's not what he came here for. I love Souray, my favorite on the team, but he is saying what he needs to and thinking he hopefully gets traded to a contender and somewhere closer to his kids in California.

Old
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

one of the few bright spot this year with out question is lubo. if he played 82 games he would be on pace for 60 points and be a + 12 on a last place team. if this guy was in pitts he would have 70 + points.

He is our best, that being said I love smid, he is very quietly becoming what we all hoped he would.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Fourier

Salaries are not linear. A player earning $3.5M is not 7 times as good as someone earning $500K. In fact, I am not even sure how to make such a comparison. But what I would say is that in my mind Visnovsky is by all measures the Oilers' best defenceman. He is earning his contract, and has also been directly responsible for helping Smid take the next step this year.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Salaries are not linear. A player earning $3.5M is not 7 times as good as someone earning $500K. In fact, I am not even sure how to make such a comparison. But what I would say is that in my mind Visnovsky is by all measures the Oilers' best defenceman. He is earning his contract, and has also been directly responsible for helping Smid take the next step this year.
Best? yes. Lubo has more talest. Consistent? Not so sure. Ladi is at least consistently in the line up, even with H1N1...and plays a hell of a lot tougher.

Put it this way. I trade Visnovsky before Smid. easy.

Old
01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

He's been alright. I'd hang onto him yeah.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Best? yes. Lubo has more talest. Consistent? Not so sure. Ladi is at least consistently in the line up, even with H1N1...and plays a hell of a lot tougher.

That doesn't mean Smid is better than Visnovsky, especially given our current cap crunch and their relative cap hits. Trading Visnovsky especially makes sense because his value is at a high.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
nvan97

Quote:

I would trade Vis way before I would trade Smid as well but that doesn't mean that that Smid is better. And don't underestimate the correlation between the improvement in Smid's game and the fact that he's been playing with Lubo.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
I would trade Vis way before I would trade Smid as well but that doesn't mean that that Smid is better. And don't underestimate the correlation between the improvement in Smid's game and the fact that he's been playing with Lubo.
Ok guys. I take back what I said. Smid is not our BEST defenceman but our most VALUABLE. Can we agree on that?

Old
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
misfit

Grebs was "Garbagekov" at the start of last year when he was paired up with Gilbert. Then, he started playing with Visnovsky and everyone wanted us to sign him long term for big money, saying he was our best Dman. This year, he gets shifted down to play with Staios and he looks terrible. Smid takes his place with Visnovsky, and all of a sudden everyone's talking about how great he's been, how he should be an untouchable, and could be our best defenseman. It's a pretty obvious trend when you consider the common denominator is playing with Visnovsky and the role that comes with it.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
tiger_80

I am all for keeping Smid long-term. Only 23 years old. He will be an elite shutdown guy in a couple of years.

Keep Grebeshkov--higher ceiling than Gilbert, IMO.

Trade one of both of Souray and Visnovsky. They likely won't deliver their value, but there is no point in keeping them both.

I will be quite happy with a Greene type project, a year or two away from being a contributor in the top 4 role and and a late 1st (if we are talking Souray), add a 2nd rounder/or an equivalent prospect for Visnovsky.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

As much as I love Lubo's game, it's a damn shame that we didn't hang onto Stoll and especially Greene.

Smid is definitely the Oilers best "defensive" defenseman at this point.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Grebs was "Garbagekov" at the start of last year when he was paired up with Gilbert. Then, he started playing with Visnovsky and everyone wanted us to sign him long term for big money, saying he was our best Dman. This year, he gets shifted down to play with Staios and he looks terrible. Smid takes his place with Visnovsky, and all of a sudden everyone's talking about how great he's been, how he should be an untouchable, and could be our best defenseman. It's a pretty obvious trend when you consider the common denominator is playing with Visnovsky and the role that comes with it.
Exactly.

Old
01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Ok guys. I take back what I said. Smid is not our BEST defenceman but our most VALUABLE. Can we agree on that?
Yeah I think I'd agree, I still like grebs about, but in terms of moving forward I think Smid is the #1 keeper. (Then Grebs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
As much as I love Lubo's game, it's a damn shame that we didn't hang onto Stoll and especially Greene.

I think that if we land the #1 or #2 over all pick it will have been worth it.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:27 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Really? I would do this trade over and over and over and............

Greene sucked as an Oiler and IMO is still not that great, he may be tough but he gets his ass handed to him regularly in fights. Stoll on the other hand was useless when we traded him and we ended up with freaken Visnovsky!!!! I love this guy!

Old
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
I think that if we land the #1 or #2 over all pick it will have been worth it.
I know, I know. It just bugs me to see three guys - Smyth, Stoll and Green - who were great Oilers toiling for the LA Kings and playing well. As usual, Lowe bet on the wrong horse.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Nope, see Misfit's post ^^^^^^^