HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ladislav Smid. Our best Dman now and untouchable

Old
01-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=OmegaTheory;23250792]Yeah I think I'd agree, I still like grebs about, but in terms of moving forward I think Smid is the #1 keeper. (Then Grebs)

I too feel Grebs is going to be stellar. he had a bad start this year but proved last year he has what it takes. Young defenceman still learning and dealing with confidence. I like Smid and Grebs as our future. maybe not 1 and 2 but a good 3-4.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Really? I would do this trade over and over and over and............

Greene sucked as an Oiler and IMO is still not that great, he may be tough but he gets his ass handed to him regularly in fights. Stoll on the other hand was useless when we traded him and we ended up with freaken Visnovsky!!!! I love this guy!
At the time it seemed like a great trade. I guess that it was one of those "whomever gets the best player wins the deal," trades but it certainly didn't help our depth. We desperately need tough, defensive defensemen and guys that can win face-offs and kill penalties.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
At the time it seemed like a great trade. I guess that it was one of those "whomever gets the best player wins the deal," trades but it certainly didn't help our depth. We desperately need tough, defensive defensemen and guys that can win face-offs and kill penalties.
Agreed. At the time we won the trade but Greene has shown he is a consistently tough defensive defenceman which we sure could use right about now. And a leader don't forget, something else we lack. Stoll is what he is and also wore an A. I don't think we won the deal so much as I did at first.

Old
01-17-2010, 05:36 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Remember though, we went from a team that was stay at home claiming they would be much better with with puck movers("we just need someone to get our forwards the puck"). Now we have the puck movers and we still suck. Maybe we should be more concerned about our forward crop because IMO our defence is pretty good.

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Hunt4Oil

Untouchable is a bit extreme....I like Smid and he is certainly the best value we have, but there isn't a player on this team that is untouchable. I hope he stays an Oiler though, he is getting better every year that's for sure.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Rafters

Ladi Smid or Luke Schenn.............who would you rather have??

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
Untouchable is a bit extreme....I like Smid and he is certainly the best value we have, but there isn't a player on this team that is untouchable. I hope he stays an Oiler though, he is getting better every year that's for sure.

Good point. There is not a single player on the team untouchable. We traded Wayne Gretzky. I think he is our most untouchable though, meaning he is the player on this team with the biggest up side.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:17 PM
OmegaTheory

[QUOTE=Loweball;23250887]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
Yeah I think I'd agree, I still like grebs about, but in terms of moving forward I think Smid is the #1 keeper. (Then Grebs)

I too feel Grebs is going to be stellar. he had a bad start this year but proved last year he has what it takes. Young defenceman still learning and dealing with confidence. I like Smid and Grebs as our future. maybe not 1 and 2 but a good 3-4.
Yeah, I think a lot of people forget how good he was in the 08-09 season. If it's Gerbs vs Gilbert I take Grebs 10 times out of 10. He also has an awesome hipcheck, I just wish he'd use it more.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Loweball

[QUOTE=OmegaTheory;23251611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
Yeah, I think a lot of people forget how good he was in the 08-09 season. If it's Gerbs vs Gilbert I take Grebs 10 times out of 10. He also has an awesome hipcheck, I just wish he'd use it more.

I personally think Tom Gilbert at $4million is the worst contract in the entire NHL.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
I personally think Tom Gilbert at $4million is the worst contract in the entire NHL.
Well that's ridiculous. Chris Drury is far and away the worst contract in the NHL, and it's hardly debatable.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
On the thread: Smid is worse than Visnovsky at both ends of the ice and I doubt he'll ever be as good, but he is younger and this is (sort of) a rebuild, so Smid is probably the best guy to keep out of the two.

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It would have been SO easy to replace Stoll and Greene, the problem isn't that we traded them, it's that we didn't bother to fill the holes we left.

I'll go to my deathbed swearing we won that deal EASILY.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Ladi Smid or Luke Schenn.............who would you rather have??
I did that poll. It was relatively even, schenn won by about 30 votes however I voted Smid and think that Smid will by far be the better player in the future and is now.

Smid is an interesting mold of player. He is a tough physical guy when on his game and unlike most defensive minded guys can handle the puck like a forward. He can dangle his way out of his own zone and rarely turns it over. He's a good player but theres quite a few players I would move him for though.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Well that's ridiculous. Chris Drury is far and away the worst contract in the NHL, and it's hardly debatable.
Gilbert brings nothing and is a liability every time he steps on the ice. $4 million for our worst defenceman. I play Strudwick before Gilbert if I'm the coach. seriously.

Havent seen much of Drury to be honest but I'm thinking he brings SOMETHING to the table.

Last edited by Loweball: 01-17-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old
01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Gilbert brings nothing and is a liability every time he steps on the ice. $4 million for our worst defenceman. I play Strudwick before Gilbert if I'm the coach. seriously.

Havent seen much of Drury to be honest.
Gilbert can play man I don't know what games you've been watching. He needs to throw more hits but so do a lot of player and so does Smid even. Our defense as a group is not nearly physical enough imo.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Gilbert can play man I don't know what games you've been watching. He needs to throw more hits but so do a lot of player and so does Smid even. Our defense as a group is not nearly physical enough imo.
sorry Andrea..I know he's cute and all...

Old
01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm just saying. Gilbert has really been the whipping boy of oilers fans since the middle of last season. Even when it came out that he was playing have the year with a slipped disc in his back people didn't care. They needed somebody to rag on. Tom Gilbert is a player and for those of you who want to call him Tammy I'm sorry you can't admit that but if he's not going to be a top 4 defenseman in edmonton he'll be a top 4 defenseman somewhere else.

I would trade him for the right package though, just like everybody else.

Old
01-17-2010, 06:41 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
sorry Andrea..I know he's cute and all...
Tom Gilbert:
QC: + 0.009
QT: - 0.231
GA/60: 2.43 (7th on team)

Ladislav Smid:
QC: - 0.41
QT: + 0.165
GA/60: 2.23 (3rd on team)

So basically, they're both pretty good when it comes to keeping the puck out of their net for this team, but Smid gets better linemates (specifically Visnovsky, the only reason any offense gets scored with Smid on the ice) and Gilbert doesn't, even though Gilbert plays more plus players.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Agreed. At the time we won the trade but Greene has shown he is a consistently tough defensive defenceman which we sure could use right about now. And a leader don't forget, something else we lack. Stoll is what he is and also wore an A. I don't think we won the deal so much as I did at first.
The problem is that you would not have both Greene and Visnovsky. So add Greene and Stoll and take away Visnovsky, and in my opinion this team is even worse than it is right now.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The problem is that you would not have both Greene and Visnovsky. So add Greene and Stoll and take away Visnovsky, and in my opinion this team is even worse than it is right now.
\\

Grebs will be ready in 1-2 years to take that spot. But yes, we would be even worse with those two. Stoll would not make much of a difference. He's basically doing what Horcoff does now while we let Gagner develop in a scoring line roll. (Hopefully second line scoring and someone comes in to play first line C)
Greene would just be playing Smid's minutes and affect his devlopment.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I don't think that anyone on this team can be deemed untouchable, but out of our defenseman, I think that Smid, after this season, would be among the last to be moved, given his age, ability, and toughness. It would take something fairly significant to get him in a deal imo. He's one of the cornerstones already in place for a rebuild.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
4th_Liner

smid untouchable?!.. that's ridiculous.. a ceiling of a #4 d-man is not untouchable on a rebuilding team..

if it takes smid to get rid of a bad contract, i'd do it in a heart beat..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
smid untouchable?!.. that's ridiculous.. a ceiling of a #4 d-man is not untouchable on a rebuilding team..

if it takes smid to get rid of a bad contract, i'd do it in a heart beat..
I think you're underestimating Smid's potential. You have to remember that he's not only keeping his head above water, but doing quite well in a shut down role at AGE 23. He's got a great first pass, can skate like the wind for a big dude, is positionally smart, and most of all, thinks the game well.

He's got the tools to be a top 20 defender in the league, and time to develop. Whether he can put it all together is something time will tell.

Joseppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Smid is developing into a nice defenseman but he is nowhere near Lubo's level, it's not even close and anybody who thinks so needs to think twice about it and watch some game tape but i do think Smid is nearly untouchable mostly because we don't have few defensemen like him on the team currently or in the system. Smid still has a long way to go for me to trust him completely and i would like to see what he can do while not being paired with Lubo but he has clearly made some good progress this year, no question.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
I think you're underestimating Smid's potential. You have to remember that he's not only keeping his head above water, but doing quite well in a shut down role at AGE 23. He's got a great first pass, can skate like the wind for a big dude, is positionally smart, and most of all, thinks the game well.

He's got the tools to be a top 20 defender in the league, and time to develop. Whether he can put it all together is something time will tell.
seen too many of them going through the oil system.. brewer poti janne hammer, those were what i'd classify as nearly untouchables.. smid can't touch any of them whether he's 23 or not.. he just doesn't have the brain to play as a top-pairing guy..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Orochimaru
5-14-6-1

Pair Smid with Alex Plante or Theo Peckham and you could have a very good shutdown pairing for the future.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote