HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Hodge whining about Taylor Hall sweepstakes

Old
01-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Section337

vCash: 500
Before this year started, I agreed with the contention that all teams who miss the playoffs (the bad teams) should have the chance to win the right to draft the top players, afterall the Oilers are one of the teams who have been hurt worst by the system. I still think that, but believe that it can only be changed in an off-season.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The draft is supposed to help the bottom teams improve. Why should the best non-playoff team get first overall and the worst non-playoff team get 14th overall. That would ruin the NHL.

01-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
It's this comment that bothered me.

Quote:
It's easy to find a so-called Oilers fan
So-called? You uptight ****hole, who are you to say who's a fan and who's not a fan? So-called? Fans who like to see a proper rebuild are debateable fans? What pretentious garbage. Take your wig off Hodge and show the truth.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
It's this comment that bothered me.

So-called? You uptight ****hole, who are you to say who's a fan and who's not a fan? So-called? Fans who like to see a proper rebuild are debateable fans? What pretentious garbage. Take your wig off Hodge and show the truth.
yeah that's gotta be a wig. Same hair do for the past 20 years haha. Look who's the phoney haha

TSN and their CBC cast offs...and the song too.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The draft is supposed to help the bottom teams improve. Why should the best non-playoff team get first overall and the worst non-playoff team get 14th overall. That would ruin the NHL.
I think the idea is for just the lottery. So at most you move up a spot. So if you finish last overall, you are guarenteed the #1 or #2 pick.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
oilerfan91

So when Toronto is in the running to get the 1st overall pick it is a big thing and it is talked about all the time.Now that Toronto does not have a first round pick for the next two years it is no big deal.

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Well--I actually agree with Hodge that the NHL should consider allowing all 14 non playoff teams have a shot at the first overall pick and more over have the entire draft order decided by the lotto and not just one draft

Oilers lost both habby and Hemsky in November and have made no effort to replace them--

that is 7.5mill in cap room for the oilers to pick someone up not used

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:05 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Someone needs to find Old Man Hodge a spot in a home.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I think the idea is for just the lottery. So at most you move up a spot. So if you finish last overall, you are guarenteed the #1 or #2 pick.
But according to Hodge, he wants all non-playoff teams to have the same chance for the first overall and that's what is angering me.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Well--I actually agree with Hodge that the NHL should consider allowing all 14 non playoff teams have a shot at the first overall pick and more over have the entire draft order decided by the lotto and not just one draft

Oilers lost both habby and Hemsky in November and have made no effort to replace them--

So the question is, Are the Oilers actually tanking it? While they can't come right out and say it, the fact that they did not replace a goalie and a top winger says they must be unintentionally intentionally not really trying to make the playoffs. I think they are. The fact that Dubnyk is playing over Biron or someone else who could have been brought in speaks volumes.

Last edited by Loweball: 01-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

People think it's so easy to make a trade when it's not. Other GMs would have fleeced the Oilers knowing they were forced to make a trade as a result of injuries. Tambi was right not to make a trade instead of getting fleeced which was 100% to happen.

Why is Hodge talking about this garbage this season when the Oilers have a chance at the draft lottery? Why was no one whining the other years? Why didn't he whine when the Islanders won the lottery. If the rules are changed for the draft lottery so the Oilers can't draft in the top 3, Bettman will be in hot water.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm kind of torn on this one. I want to slap Hodge upside the head but at the same time I was a little bit annoyed by T-bay when they were shutting down pretty much everybody on their roster last year and I was really happy when the Islanders got the #1 pick because they were legitimately that bad.

That said the oilers roster is not only talented but they are spending a ton of cash so it's not as if the oil are losing on purpose. It's just a combination of a lack of confidence, not knowing how to grind out wins and having young goalies.

I can understand where he's coming from but he's probably a closet leafs fan frustrated that they don't have a first rounder this year.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

I agree with him, although I have no comment on whether or not it's whining hypocrisy on his part. But it's a no brainer that you shouldn't be rewarded for how much you suck. Everyone not in the playoffs should enter the draft lottery on equal footing.

People say you shouldn't have to wallow at the bottom of the league forever, but Oilers fans of all people should know the flaws of the existing system, and how it traps teams to wallow just outside the playoffs for decades. In a full 14 team lottery system, everyone would have an equal opportunity to cease wallowing.

The way it is now, if you are in the playoffs you attract UFAs, and if you're at the bottom of the league you attract top draft picks. Finished somewhere 9-12 in your Division? Good luck to ya.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I agree with him, although I have no comment on whether or not it's whining hypocrisy on his part. But it's a no brainer that you shouldn't be rewarded for how much you suck. Everyone not in the playoffs should enter the draft lottery on equal footing.

People say you shouldn't have to wallow at the bottom of the league forever, but Oilers fans of all people should know the flaws of the existing system, and how it traps teams to wallow just outside the playoffs for decades. In a full 14 team lottery system, everyone would have an equal opportunity to cease wallowing.
What's really angering me is why this comes up this year? Why? No mention the other years but the minute the Oilers have a chance at the draft lottery, these idiot eastern media start writing the draft lottery should be change that every non-playoff team should be able to win the draft lotter. If that happens, the Oilers would always be drafting 14th in a non-playoff year. I'm sick of this garbage that's suddenly coming up this year because the Oilers have a chance at winning the draft lottery.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Someone

Quote:

I can see why people complain about not replacing the Bulin wall, as there are probably inexpensive options in goal that are better than what we have now, but Hemsky? Who are we going to replace him with? At best we're a bubble team, why would we give up significant resources to acquire another top 6 winger, only to end up having him leave as UFA, or putting us in cap hell next year? I'm sure if there were a reasonable option, the organization would likely have pursued it.

People like to whine about the intentional tank, but I see no issue with it, and I certainly don't think we're doing it. Former bottom feeders like the Kings would still be languishing at the bottom if they didn't get so many high draft picks.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
I can see why people complain about not replacing the Bulin wall, as there are probably inexpensive options in goal that are better than what we have now, but Hemsky? Who are we going to replace him with? At best we're a bubble team, why would we give up significant resources to acquire another top 6 winger, only to end up having him leave as UFA, or putting us in cap hell next year? I'm sure if there were a reasonable option, the organization would likely have pursued it.

People like to whine about the intentional tank, but I see no issue with it, and I certainly don't think we're doing it. Former bottom feeders like the Kings would still be languishing at the bottom if they didn't get so many high draft picks.
with the Hemsky injury that freed up about 3.5 in cap space to look around for a soon to be UFA who is taking up cap room on another team

But the oilers have done nothing and that is what sticks out the most---this team was not that good to start with

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Boilers*

*If they had a rule preventing a team from picking first overall in consecutive years that'd be kind of nice. Watching THE SAME TEAMS ALWAYS PICKING UP GOOD PLAYERS gets frustrating. Seeing the Penguins win a behind the curtain lottery which was just so obviously fixed boils the blood.

Funny how the fact that Toronto doesn't get it's first suddenly gets the dander up in the East. Blame Burkie media, not the Oil.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Oil Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
So the question is, Are the Oilers actually tanking it? While they can't come right out and say it, the fact that they did not replace a goalie and a top winger says they must be unintentionally intentionally not really trying to make the playoffs. I think they are. The fact that Dubnyk is playing over Biron or someone else who could have been brought in speaks volumes.
The Oil are not tanking it they had enough roster forwards to play even after Hemsky went down. They also went on a five game winning streak shortly after Khabi and Hemsky were out. I honestly beleive they thought they could play with the rest of the league even without these guys. Now they are thinking wow were we wrong to late now time to sell.

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
with the Hemsky injury that freed up about 3.5 in cap space to look around for a soon to be UFA who is taking up cap room on another team

But the oilers have done nothing and that is what sticks out the most---this team was not that good to start with
Give your head a shake, man. What deals have been made this year overall? Every team knows the Oil are going to be sellers, but they don't know where thier own team sits, or will be sitting come trade deadline day. So why the hell would anyone want to let a player go until they have a clear understanding of where they'll be? Lordy.

Last edited by Boilers*: 01-17-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post

I agree. I have no problem with a system that gives every non-playoff team a shot at the top pick. In fact, it would be fun to have the non-playoff teams draw for all of the positions. One could weight the odds if one wants.

However, to suggest that a team like the Oilers are tanking intentionally is ridiculous. This is a team that has in the last few years made all kinds of deals to be more competitive in the short-run at the expense of their long-term success. But the injury parade, flu-bug combo has devastated the team to the point that no small fix would have made any difference. So the thought that the Oilers should give up any substantial assets for a few more wins this year and consequently damage their chances going forward is completely without merit. If Tambo did this, he should be fired.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:33 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I mostly think Hodge and his "reporters" are deeply misguided, but this time he's right - tanking sucks, the rule sucks and a more significant draft lottery should take place...

... after this year

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
Too bad guys like Hodge have to keep trying to kick EDM down constantly. We fans do not deserve the constant nonsense reporting and digs at EDM. It's always trying to create some drama about EDM in some way or another.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Too bad guys like Hodge have to keep trying to kick EDM down constantly. We fans do not deserve the constant nonsense reporting and digs at EDM. It's always trying to create some drama about EDM in some way or another.
Blame TSN that the Oilers have trouble luring UFAs. I'm sick of TSN's constant Oilers bashing. Every article TSN writes about the Oilers is a bashfest.

Old
01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Fourier

Quote:

I would be genuinely interested in who such a player might be. The Oilers have an abundance of near-top six wingers floating around. To improve on this they would be looking for someone better than say O'Sullivan, who is on the last year of his contract, is on a team that has no need for such a player, and is willing to give him up for next to nothing.

You might find such a player at the deadline, but as of right now there only six teams in the league who are not within 6 points of a playoff spot. Teams in contention seldom give away legitimate top six forwards for nothing.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Other Little Mikey

**** off, Hodge, what else are we supposed to get excited about when we were out of playoff contention in NOVEMBER.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote