HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Hodge whining about Taylor Hall sweepstakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
  #51
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,959
vCash: 50
Hodge is also pointing out the fact with 30+games left--we are acting like all hope is lost and the oilers are doing nothing to steam the loses

1 win in 15games

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
  #52
Teddy Peckman
Registered User
 
Teddy Peckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
  #53
OmegaTheory
Registered User
 
OmegaTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Paper Street
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Hodge is also pointing out the fact with 30+games left--we are acting like all hope is lost and the oilers are doing nothing to steam the loses

1 win in 15games
Right, so the Oilers should screw themselves making a trade just to make him happy.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
  #54
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
Right, so the Oilers should screw themselves making a trade just to make him happy.
No, but the NHL should look at changing a system that results in organizations no longer trying, with close to half a season left to go.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
  #55
Lounge Act*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Poor Hodge. Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Not that anyone is jealous of our position but the thought of the Oilers getting Hall already has people wringing their hands in denial.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
  #56
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Hodge is also pointing out the fact with 30+games left--we are acting like all hope is lost and the oilers are doing nothing to steam the loses

1 win in 15games
They did do something. They held a mini camp instead of giving the team a pre-scheduled break. They have iced the best squad they have available to them. What they have not done is given away assets that have value for the hope of winning a game or two more. Especially in a capped world, no manager should do this.

If on the last day of the season we see Penner and Visnovsky riding the pine so that Stone and Staios can get more ice time then I will say that the Oilers are tanking.

Finally, I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I have not missed watching a single game they have played this year outside of one game when I was in Edmonton for which there was no TV coverage. I want to see a full effort every game, but in the end I know that getting one of the three top picks this year is far better for the future of the team than three or four more wins. If this makes me a so-called fan then so be it.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
  #57
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
No, but the NHL should look at changing a system that results in organizations no longer trying, with close to half a season left to go.
It really doesn't seem like the Oilers aren't trying, but I'd agree with this sentiment. Hodge is correct about what the draft lottery should be. At the very least, it should be more of a lottery, like the NBA system.

Right now, even calling it a lottery is a joke.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
  #58
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
It really doesn't seem like the Oilers aren't trying, but I'd agree with this sentiment. Hodge is correct about what the draft lottery should be. At the very least, it should be more of a lottery, like the NBA system.

Right now, even calling it a lottery is a joke.
Yep, that is specifically why I used the word organization instead of team. Nor do I want the Oilers to really do anything this year.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
  #59
Loweball
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
They did do something. They held a mini camp instead of giving the team a pre-scheduled break. They have iced the best squad they have available to them. What they have not done is given away assets that have value for the hope of winning a game or two more. Especially in a capped world, no manager should do this.

If on the last day of the season we see Penner and Visnovsky riding the pine so that Stone and Staios can get more ice time then I will say that the Oilers are tanking.

Finally, I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I have not missed watching a single game they have played this year outside of one game when I was in Edmonton for which there was no TV coverage. I want to see a full effort every game, but in the end I know that getting one of the three top picks this year is far better for the future of the team than three or four more wins. If this makes me a so-called fan then so be it.
Excellent post Fourier. I'm with you. I want to finish dead last. Look at the Chicago Black Hawks. That's how you build a team. Finish last a few years in a row, get excited about your kids, and build a team. Like Slats did. A bunch of players all the same age growing together. I am prepare, but will say embarrassed, to be in last overall. But no one is laughing anymore at Chicago.

and I am not saying the Oiler players are tanking. Mangement is tanking. There is a difference. Not replacing that money from Hemsky and Khabibulin for players this year becoming UFA says something. It was money we had to spend this year that would have helped and they would have been gone after the season. They have not doe that and are letting it stay the same, lost 7 in a row twice now without a move. It's an unintentional tank by mangaement.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
  #60
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,196
vCash: 500
Hodges, like everyone at TSN not named Bob McKenzie is a clown. Even when they have semi good ideas, it is for the wrong reason and they mess with it enough to screw it up. If there is a smart executive at Sportsnet they will throw a massive contract at McKenzie when his is up at TSN. Bob McKenzie = legitimacy imo.

But back to Hodges. Sure the NHL should look at a weighted lottery for the top pick for all non-playoff teams as that will discourage tanking. But giving the superstar filled team with a few injury problems that still narrowly missed the playoffs, an equal shot at the #1(as his name out of a hat idea would do) as the poorly run, no future in sight, bottom dweller is stupid. Plus, whining about it specifically because Edmonton is in the running is just pathetic. And Quinn and the players aren't tanking, management is tanking.

Good thing no one puts any weight behind Hodges thoughts. Shootout in the playoffs...

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:12 PM
  #61
Loweball
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
It's not all roses at the bottom even if it is a tank. Yeah we might get Hall but there are sacrifices. Attendance is starting to slip, TV ratings as well. And us fans can't wear an Oiler ball cap to the grocery store without being laughed at. Well out here in BC anyways.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:14 PM
  #62
JustinCider
Registered User
 
JustinCider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,171
vCash: 500
I agree that it should be a lottery for all the teams that don't make the playoffs. This would encourage teams to keep competing, I would like to see a more even distribution of the lottery balls. But, that being said, obviously I don't want these chances to go into effect for a couple years.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
  #63
Harley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
I just flipped my pencil.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
  #64
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Do any of you also realize that in the segment he has makes mention of how ridiculous it was of the Leafs fans wanting to tank last season? It is nothing against EDMONTON!!! My good god so many of you are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too sensitive!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:18 PM
  #65
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I agree that it should be a lottery for all the teams that don't make the playoffs. This would encourage teams to keep competing, I would like to see a more even distribution of the lottery balls. But, that being said, obviously I don't want these chances to go into effect for a couple years.
It couldn't happen this year anyways. The draft lottery is in 3 months. Hodge should be fired from TSN.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
  #66
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Lose back to back games to Crosby and Thornton and we make the news about tanking.. hahaha. Maybe Hodge sees something in the Oilers that we don't... Because that team cannot contend right now.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
  #67
Hunt4Oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London On
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Where are the Hurricanes mentioned in that ridiculous article? They aren't in Western Canada so they surely can't be tanking for a pick right? Hodge disgusts me.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
  #68
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
It couldn't happen this year anyways. The draft lottery is in 3 months. Hodge should be fired from TSN.
For having an OPINION the guy should be fired. I have seen you write some ridiculous things on here before but this one may be your best work.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
  #69
Spamhuis
Registered User
 
Spamhuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
i don't think edmonton is tanking on purpose. Hodge is very anti-western Canada. Only need to look on his stance on the burrows affair to see it. I say Edmonton's doing the right thing and TO's f*ing it up big time. I'd take hall over kessel any day and I'd love to see him in the west

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:35 PM
  #70
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
Where are the Hurricanes mentioned in that ridiculous article? They aren't in Western Canada so they surely can't be tanking for a pick right? Hodge disgusts me.
But didn't Carolina lose their #1 Goalie & top forward for awhile

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:55 PM
  #71
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: This Is Fail County
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
No, but the NHL should look at changing a system that results in organizations no longer trying, with close to half a season left to go.
I agree 100%.

When I first arrived at HF Boards in 2001, Islanders fans were celebrating every loss because it took them one step closer to being mathematically guaranteed to get either Spezza or Kovalchuk.

It disgusted me then, it has disgusted me every year since, and it disgusts me this year.

The fact that this year it is our turn to benefit from this annual celebration of failure is great fun, but it is a dismal system that needs to be changed in the near future. A real draft lottery, with all of the top picks being random, should be implemented.

It is a joke that the NHL rewards failure to the extent that they do. Ripping off your fans by putting a garbage product on the ice for several years in a row should not be a recipe to building a champion. It should be a recipe to getting your ass fired and replaced with somebody competent.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
  #72
MePutPuckInNet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I agree 100%.

When I first arrived at HF Boards in 2001, Islanders fans were celebrating every loss because it took them one step closer to being mathematically guaranteed to get either Spezza or Kovalchuk.

It disgusted me then, it has disgusted me every year since, and it disgusts me this year.

The fact that this year it is our turn to benefit from this annual celebration of failure is great fun, but it is a dismal system that needs to be changed in the near future. A real draft lottery, with all of the top picks being random, should be implemented.

It is a joke that the NHL rewards failure to the extent that they do. Ripping off your fans by putting a garbage product on the ice for several years in a row should not be a recipe to building a champion. It should be a recipe to getting your ass fired and replaced with somebody competent.
Nicely done. I am also in complete agreement. It gives teams a way out for poor scouting and bad drafting and stupid decisions by management....

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
  #73
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
For having an OPINION the guy should be fired. I have seen you write some ridiculous things on here before but this one may be your best work.
Unfortunately, wouldn't be the first time.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
  #74
Ty Webb*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
The people crying about this only being an issue because the Oil are at the bottom of the barrel need to shut up. This topic is debated on TSN every bloody year. The difference is that you only care because it's relevant to us this year. The constant pity party on this board would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
  #75
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
I agree with him - all non-playoff teams should have an equal shot. But, that being said, I am very happy that the oil has a great chance to get him just by playing the way we normally play.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.