HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Hodge whining about Taylor Hall sweepstakes

Old
01-18-2010, 12:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
i don't think edmonton is tanking on purpose. Hodge is very anti-western Canada. Only need to look on his stance on the burrows affair to see it. I say Edmonton's doing the right thing and TO's f*ing it up big time. I'd take hall over kessel any day and I'd love to see him in the west
Anti-western Canada? He used to live in Vancouver.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:26 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Anti-western Canada? He used to live in Vancouver.
And? I lived in Calgary for half a year and I'm still Anti-Calgary.

And not just the Flames. The City.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:28 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
And? I lived in Calgary for half a year and I'm still Anti-Calgary.

And not just the Flames. The City.
Half a year hey? I farted in the Capri hotel in Red Deer and I couldnt stand the place, does that count? (Actually I really like the Capri hotel and Red Deer)

Old
01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Half a year hey? I farted in the Capri hotel in Red Deer and I couldnt stand the place, does that count? (Actually I really like the Capri hotel and Red Deer)
Six months is enough for a City like Calgary.

Not like that was the extent of my visit. I've been there for weeks at a time since I was very young, but lived on a day-to-day basis? That was a 6 month deal.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:38 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Six months is enough for a City like Calgary.

Not like that was the extent of my visit. I've been there for weeks at a time since I was very young, but lived on a day-to-day basis? That was a 6 month deal.
Hodge is an easterner, but lived in Vancouver for five years I believe, not that it means anything, I havent seen anything to believe that he hates the west though. We all know what TSN is like, they are about the Leafs first, the east second and the west, well who really cares? It is more about the network than anything else.

I mean look at Dutchie, western guy, used to work in Edmonton, but you wouldnt really know it because he is with the "network". Its about tsn more than Hodge, I would say, and the piece isnt about one area of the country anyway. Its about a stupid draft system that rewards failure and incompetence.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
surshot*

vCash: 500
I do not condone him mentioning the Oilers and suggesting we are tanking on purpose but I do agree the lottery should be done in a fair manner for all 14 teams that miss the playoffs. But its a little to late for that, there has been teams who have been taking advantage of the lottery for years and most have been from south of the border and it makes for some easy wins that change the standings in latter part of the season. It needs to stop but not this year. Even if the Oilers are trying to take advantage of it i see nothing wrong with it as the precedent has already been set.

Go ahead and do it next year for all i care in fact i have been saying this for years. Gary is the one thats making this possible in order to stack his sunbelt teams, time for him to make it fair and stop ruining the integrity of the game with easy games at the end of the season that does not benefit everybody.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Philly85
Moody'

He comes across as a whiny, frustrated child in that segment, embarrassing to watch and listen to actually. I don't normally care about the Eastern bias and all these clowns jockin Toronto, Ontario, and Eastern Canada in general but he comes across as very unprofessional and downright bitter with that piece. Joke of a journalist.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I mean look at Dutchie, western guy, used to work in Edmonton, but you wouldnt really know it because he is with the "network".
Whatchu talkin' 'bout?

Seems to me he gives and gets a lot of western Canada references on the air. Especially any time the Roughriders are playing.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Whatchu talkin' 'bout?

Seems to me he gives and gets a lot of western Canada references on the air. Especially any time the Roughriders are playing.
Thats just one more reason to hate on the guy. Youre not exactly helping him here.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:10 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I agree 100%.

When I first arrived at HF Boards in 2001, Islanders fans were celebrating every loss because it took them one step closer to being mathematically guaranteed to get either Spezza or Kovalchuk.

It disgusted me then, it has disgusted me every year since, and it disgusts me this year.

The fact that this year it is our turn to benefit from this annual celebration of failure is great fun, but it is a dismal system that needs to be changed in the near future. A real draft lottery, with all of the top picks being random, should be implemented.

It is a joke that the NHL rewards failure to the extent that they do. Ripping off your fans by putting a garbage product on the ice for several years in a row should not be a recipe to building a champion. It should be a recipe to getting your ass fired and replaced with somebody competent.
I couldn't agree more, the idea of rewarding incompetence is bizarre and why all 4 of the major north american sports go along with it is beyond me.

I know some people who are proponents of have a straight up order of finish draft (ie. whoever wins the presidents trophy drafts first overall) and though that would be interesting to see (and would likely provide far less draft busts I think) it would never sell immediately since all sports are currently programmed to reward incompetence instead of productive results, maybe after some time though.

However, I think a straight 30 team lottery would be best. Give no incentive to fail, every game would be worth winning, every team could constantly be focused on improving in every way, day to day. The salary cap would even out the worry that one team may get lucky too often and create a situation that is 'unfair'.

That said, an equal shot to all 14 non-playoff teams would be a start.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Oil Gauge

I don't think the whole "14 teams who miss the playoffs should have an equal chance at the first overall pick" idea is a very good one. Look at what happened in 06'. We made the playoffs by what 1 point? and went to the Stanley Cup final. We lose one more game and we would have as good of a chance as anyone to get the first overall pick.

And even with that system its not going to stop teams from tanking if they choose. finishing 30th you are still guaranteed a #1 or #2 pick Seguin or Hall. Both are tremendous prospects and it is undetermined who will be the #1 pick. Do you think they are going to try to finish 25th so they can get a #1 or #6 pick?

If the season ended right now the Detroit Red Wings would have an equal chance of acquiring the 1st overall pick as the Oilers. How is that fair?

2006, the Oilers lose 1 more game and they could go from Stanley Cup Finalists to 1st overall draftee's.

The teams with the most necessity for the best talent should have the favorable odds of acquiring it.

I think the current system works pretty good. The only adjustment you could make is that the team that wins the lotto could move up 5 spots instead of 4, or 6 or 7 spots. thus giving the 30th place team less of a probability of getting the #1 pick. But there is no way a team who finishes 1 point out of the playoffs should ever get the 1st overall pick.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Dave Hodges comment isn't even thought out.

He's accusing the Oilers of tanking and using the fans being happy about losses as evidence of the org or team deciding on a tanking direction?!?

Um,...why are we even talking about this?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:16 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I don't think the whole "14 teams who miss the playoffs should have an equal chance at the first overall pick" idea is a very good one. Look at what happened in 06'. We made the playoffs by what 1 point? and went to the Stanley Cup final. We lose one more game and we would have as good of a chance as anyone to get the first overall pick.

And even with that system its not going to stop teams from tanking if they choose. finishing 30th you are still guaranteed a #1 or #2 pick Seguin or Hall. Both are tremendous prospects and it is undetermined who will be the #1 pick. Do you think they are going to try to finish 25th so they can get a #1 or #6 pick?

If the season ended right now the Detroit Red Wings would have an equal chance of acquiring the 1st overall pick as the Oilers. How is that fair?

2006, the Oilers lose 1 more game and they could go from Stanley Cup Finalists to 1st overall draftee's.

The teams with the most necessity for the best talent should have the favorable odds of acquiring it.

I think the current system works pretty good. The only adjustment you could make is that the team that wins the lotto could move up 5 spots instead of 4, or 6 or 7 spots. thus giving the 30th place team less of a probability of getting the #1 pick. But there is no way a team who finishes 1 point out of the playoffs should ever get the 1st overall pick.
Its fair because every team would try to win every game, there would be no incentive to lose. There is a salary cap so every team can or should be able to afford to ice a competitive team. If you have poor scouting, player development, coaching and management how is that anyone else's problem other than your own?

Old
01-18-2010, 01:17 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
However, I think a straight 30 team lottery would be best. Give no incentive to fail, every game would be worth winning, every team could constantly be focused on improving in every way, day to day. The salary cap would even out the worry that one team may get lucky too often and create a situation that is 'unfair'.
Selection done on the fly and live to maximize suspense. Just imagine how nutty draft day would be as fans of all 30 teams are tuning in to watch when and who their team will draft. And each round starts over random. Over time, every team will get just as much benefit as everyone else.

Less often seeing east coast organizations in the dumpers getting their own superstar. Oh... wait a sec...

I'm sure all the scouts out there would strangle me for making the suggestion, but guaranteed entertainment value and no favorites.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Dave Hodges comment isn't even thought out.

He's accusing the Oilers of tanking and using the fans being happy about losses as evidence of the org or team deciding on a tanking direction?!?

Um,...why are we even talking about this?
Because talking about the Oilers is too depressing. Better to vent our anger at an outsider. Especially if they are from the east.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Its fair because every team would try to win every game, there would be no incentive to lose. There is a salary cap so every team can or should be able to afford to ice a competitive team. If you have poor scouting, player development, coaching and management how is that anyone else's problem other than your own?
Bingo. Why reward incompetence at all?

This is a tired incentive designed to prop up pathetic franchises and conspire for them to be eventually successful at least on ice.

In Euro football they have relegation. Seems a logical consequence for futility. Pull the trap door.

Here we reward abject failure.

Go figure.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:22 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
well

I hate to remind people of this boards reaction during the penguins sucking during a couple of years where it was obvious they were not trying to win and the fealing was they were diving for a better pick

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:24 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Selection done on the fly and live to maximize suspense. Just imagine how nutty draft day would be as fans of all 30 teams are tuning in to watch when and who their team will draft. And each round starts over random. Over time, every team will get just as much benefit as everyone else.

Less often seeing east coast organizations in the dumpers getting their own superstar. Oh... wait a sec...

I'm sure all the scouts out there would strangle me for making the suggestion, but guaranteed entertainment value and no favorites.
It would be spectacular to watch eh? I agree completely, the entertainment value of the draft would skyrocket.

And to the comment someone else in the thread made about the Red Wings & Oilers both having equal shots at the number 1 pick, I would say how is it fair now? I could think of nothing more fair than making the number 1 draft selection be decided by chance rather than poor performance.

For example, if Carolina finishes last this year and got say, the 30th overall pick, would that be unfair? No, the situation would be simple, Carolina should have performed better, they should now spend their time trying to improve their team.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:25 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
well

I hate to remind people of this boards reaction during the penguins sucking during a couple of years where it was obvious they were not trying to win and the fealing was they were diving for a better pick
They pulled the string in Pittsburgh.

Ironically, people here are PISSED because the Oilers haven't (see: Tambellini presser - pathetic thread).

Old
01-18-2010, 01:27 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Well, the worst case scenario for any team is to fall back a single spot.
Depends on the league (as he did mention multiple leagues).

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:28 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
It would be spectacular to watch eh? I agree completely, the entertainment value of the draft would skyrocket.

And to the comment someone else in the thread made about the Red Wings & Oilers both having equal shots at the number 1 pick, I would say how is it fair now? I could think of nothing more fair than making the number 1 draft selection being decided by chance rather than poor management.

For example, if Carolina finishes last this year and got say, the 30th overall pick, would that be unfair? No, the situation would be simple, Carolina should have performed better, they should now spend their time trying to improve their team.
How is anything fair?

How is it fair that we can't lure a UFA due to perceptions (some false, some true) about our City? How do we come out of that without severely bettering the team and it's chances of winning? How do we do that without high draft selections? How do budget teams compete with the New Yorks and Philadelphia's who can bury more money than other teams can spend on any one player?

I can see a system where every NON-playoff team gets a crack at #1 overall. But I don't see how it's fair to exclude teams like Florida who aren't allowed to spend the money to fix some of the holes on their roster, in spite of a the cap-space to do it and their bubble status. Maybe something closer to the Sidney Crosby sweepsakes in 2005.

And I'm certainly not going to cry about the Oilers getting a lottery pick.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post

No league that respects its paying fans and the credibility of competition in its any game product should subject customers to the dynamic of "losing to win" at a later date.

This is high cost professional entertainment. When theres any indication a club has given up half way through the season they really aren't delivering anything resembling a satisfactory product to the paying fans that present season.

There's absolutely no "fair" in the present arrangement to the paying fans.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Bingo. Why reward incompetence at all?

This is a tired incentive designed to prop up pathetic franchises and conspire for them to be eventually successful at least on ice.

In Euro football they have relegation. Seems a logical consequence for futility. Pull the trap door.

Here we reward abject failure.

Go figure.
Euro football probably isnt a great example as they have the same teams vying for the championships year in and year out. There is also a big disparity in payroll much like mlb. But the point about taking out the garbage is well taken. I wonder how excited fans would be if the reward was a year or more in the ahl?

Old
01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Curious mix of self-loathing and whining going on in this thread.

Didn't see these comments when it was Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh and Washington in the basement. No, only when Edmonton sucks should it mean relegation and we must ***** about the fairness to the other teams.

You people are more frustrating than the Oilers have ever been.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
Euro football probably isnt a great example as they have the same teams vying for the championships year in and year out. There is also a big disparity in payroll much like mlb. But the point about taking out the garbage is well taken. I wonder how excited fans would be if the reward was a year or more in the ahl?
I honestly don't think the whole AHL/NHL relagation thing would work. Theres a much greater disparity between a 30th place team in the NHL and a top team in the AHL as compared to a bottom Premier team and a Top Division 1 team. Also would the arena sizes would come into play and ticket sales yada yada.

Seriously if MAP is over a PPG in the AHL, could you imagine what Hemsky would do.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote