HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza and Michalek back in a week

Old
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
1. Spezza will help our PP, he was turning it on with his goals from behind the net before he went down

2. Spezza presence means he gains the attention of the other teams top shutdown defensemen and forwards. This means Fisher can get back to "flying under the radar" where he will face weaker lines and he and Kovalev can light it up

3. Michalek can gets some space now with Alfie and Spezza on his line. Also it is nice to have Spezza passing you the puck

Lots of things that go unnoticed about Spezza, but with his back at 100% and his knee alright i think our team will be given a BIG boost

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
1. Spezza will help our PP, he was turning it on with his goals from behind the net before he went down

2. Spezza presence means he gains the attention of the other teams top shutdown defensemen and forwards. This means Fisher can get back to "flying under the radar" where he will face weaker lines and he and Kovalev can light it up

3. Michalek can gets some space now with Alfie and Spezza on his line. Also it is nice to have Spezza passing you the puck

Lots of things that go unnoticed about Spezza, but with his back at 100% and his knee alright i think our team will be given a BIG boost
amen brother.

all praise spezza

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
I was talking about the story itself. Don't see it on ottawasun.com, maybe I'm braindead though.
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../12502611.html

Quote:
Daniel Alfredsson is back, Filip Kuba should return Monday afternoon, Milan Michalek is “very close” and Jason Spezza, in a surprising development yesterday, indicated he could be back in the lineup within a week.
Quote:
The biggest difference-maker on the Senators’ shelf, however, is Spezza. He climbed down yesterday to skate for a half hour with assistant coaches Brad Lauer and Greg Carvel and, when that went well, he decided to stay on the ice for practice with his teammates.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 54 View Post
We don't need Spezza or Michalek, Fisher will just carry the team...

Look what sensfan83 has done, I actually dislike Fisher sometimes, thanks buddy.
That's your problem. No one cares actually.

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Answer

When Healthy, I want to see..

Michalek - Fisher - Alfie

Shannon - Spezza - Kovalev

Foligno - Regin - Z.Smith

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Comely

vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Zack hasn't really excelled on the wing so far so I would like to see him stay at centre. Michalek should stay with Spezza and Alfie with Fisher I would like to see

Michalek - Spezza - Kovalev
Folingo - Fisher - Alfredsson
Rutuu - Kelly - Cheechoo
Shannon - Smith - Regin

Even that I wonder how many minutes some of our forwards will be getting. Lines are very tough when everyone is healthy perhaps someone will need to be sent down or traded.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:45 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Zack hasn't really excelled on the wing so far so I would like to see him stay at centre. Michalek should stay with Spezza and Alfie with Fisher I would like to see

Folingo - Fisher - Alfredsson
Rutuu - Kelly - Cheechoo
Shannon - Smith - Regin

Even that I wonder how many minutes some of our forwards will be getting. Lines are very tough when everyone is healthy perhaps someone will need to be sent down or traded.
Neil?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
100 points in 60 or so games is just not enough when you are being paid 7m. I expect 30 goals and ATLEAST 90 assists to prove he can carry the team when Alfie retires. Put with Foligno and Smith as well so he can also prove he makes the players around him better and that is he a true #1 center. If he can't do that trade him and Fisher can be our #1 center
Id be happy if he just factored in positively in every aspect of being a professional hockey player. Alfie's done it for a while, for cheaper.

For the money he makes he should be at least a point per game player give or take a couple, especially as an "offensive star". But his production isnt really what I worry about.

My expectations are not unreasonable, hes been here for 6-7 years now watching our captain be a captain in every sense of the word and hes still got a long way to go before reaching the standards Alfie has set.

A little more on topic, glad to have him back Im anxious to see if the time off did him some good. He did look quite a bit better on the ice at the start of the year and it is quite possible injuries were holding him back. Time away from the media couldnt have hurt either. This doesnt change my overall view of him as the future leader of this team but I do realize that his success now is important for us and will likely be for at least the remainder of his contract.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Comely

vCash: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens15 View Post
Neil?
Good point I guess sooner or later Smith will have to be sent down, even still we have too many forwards.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:11 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Good point I guess sooner or later Smith will have to be sent down, even still we have too many forwards.
you never know, Bryan Murray is soon due for his annual mid-season trade

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:32 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Michalek - Spezza - Alfredson
Folingo - Fisher - Kovalev
Shannon- Regin - Cheechoo
Ruttu - Kelly- Neil

I'd like to see this

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Fisher has shown, very convincingly, that he cannot be the man. Putting him on a line where he will meet the top pairing D is a recipe for disaster....as we have seen with Alfie and Spezza out.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Puckhog27

I guess the lines don't really matter that much. To be honest the best line they might be able to put out this year is the one they started the season with. Kovalev - Fisher - Alfie. They are all at the top of the team in points. Then again it might not be a good idea to have Kovy on the left wing. He hasn't produced much in that position.

If you look at the stats this year Alfie produced a lot more points playing with Fisher then Spezza/Michalek. It doesn't really make much sense to put that line back together when they were so unproductive pretty much all the time they played as a line. The only good thing they did was draw attention away from Fisher/Kovalev most games. They really struggled to score as a line. Fisher/Alfie is a good combo and they should stick with it IMO. They can play all situations PP, PK, ES.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Michalek and Kovalev could do together. They looked good on the few times they were allowed to play together. It's unfortunate that it Shannon may have to move down to another line. I thought he played well with Kovy.

Spezza and Kovy played together for two games. One game they did alright and the other they looked a bit shaky. It's hard to say if they would be good together or not.

I wouldn't mind keeping Kovy on a third line with two youngsters possible to make such a line more of a scoring threat.

Folingo - Fisher - Alfie

Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo/Kovalev

Shannon - Regin - Kovalev/Cheechoo

Kelly - Rutuu - Neil

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Fisher has shown, very convincingly, that he cannot be the man. Putting him on a line where he will meet the top pairing D is a recipe for disaster....as we have seen with Alfie and Spezza out.
I don't completely agree with that. First the team went around 6-1. Fisher wasn't great during that stretch, but he was already starting to slump before that time. Lets say that Fisher/Kovalev got injured and Alfie/Spezza/Michalek were healthy. I think the team would have still lost as all three guys were in major slumps when they got injured. Spezza looked like was starting to come out of his , but it's hard to say for sure. It would have been difficult for any line to carry the team with when the team it based on balanced scoring from a lot of different players.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:14 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
He's shown very convincingly that he can't be "the man" with Foligno/Shannon and Kovalev/Neil as his first line wingers. I'm not so sure he couldn't be the man with just Alfie on his wing (which is more than we can say about Spezza).

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
He's shown very convincingly that he can't be "the man" with Foligno/Shannon and Kovalev/Neil as his first line wingers. I'm not so sure he couldn't be the man with just Alfie on his wing (which is more than we can say about Spezza).
Alfie is a bad example, who doesn't he make a better player? I bet he could me look like an NHLer!

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:28 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Alfie is a bad example, who doesn't he make a better player? I bet he could me look like an NHLer!
Heck, Alfie could make a corpse look like an NHL superstar!

Alfie! Alfie! Alfie!

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Well he had a hard time making Spezza a decent player without Heatley.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Alfredsson11

When Spez and MM return I would like to see this:

Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson
Shannon - Regin - Kovalev
Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
When Spez and MM return I would like to see this:

Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson
Shannon - Regin - Kovalev
Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
+1

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I can't wait for Spezza to return, and I'm a little surprised some people aren't too excited about his return. It sucks that he was hurt, but this 2 month break could be exactly what he needed. He was clearly playing hurt before and he got time to rest that as well. I'm fully anticipating him coming back and playing great.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I can't wait for Spezza to return, and I'm a little surprised some people aren't too excited about his return. It sucks that he was hurt, but this 2 month break could be exactly what he needed. He was clearly playing hurt before and he got time to rest that as well. I'm fully anticipating him coming back and playing great.
When Spezza and Michalek return to form we should be a very formidable team again. Look at how far Alfie is taking us alone. If Spezza can light the fire he can turn Michalek into a scoring machine.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
Michalek - Spezza - Alfredson
Folingo - Fisher - Kovalev
Shannon- Regin - Cheechoo
Ruttu - Kelly- Neil

I'd like to see this
these are my lines as well

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Lehner

After the last couple games I would do this:

Foligno- Fisher - Alfredsson
Shannon- Regin- Cheechoo(Rotate through Donovan, Winnie, Smith, Daugavins, whoever else)
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Me too, and his back should be at 100%. Alfie was struggling for the last 10 or so games before he came back (uncharacteristic turnovers, and not producing) and now look at what his break did for his game

I expect Spezza to come back and be a force.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote