HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Trade Deadline Deals & General pre-deadline trade/speculation talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

vCash: 500
Sharks Trade Deadline Deals & General pre-deadline trade/speculation talk

What do you think our options are, needs, and what will happen on or before March 3rd deadline.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Gilligans Island

Need: top 4 dman - or really, someone to lessen Boyle, Blake and Murray's minutes.

Options (or assets) - Clowe, Mitchell, (maybe) Seto - are the attractive ones... Huskins is less attractive due to his bad salary... Prospects: anyone but Couture or Petrecki (though for the right dman, I'd deal Petrecki)... and any pick but the 1st

I'll go find the posts w/ all the possible top 4 dmen we could trade for... of the top of my head... in no particular order, Michalek, Burns, Volchenkov, Gleason?, Seidenberg, Jackman, Kubina? (big cap hit, though)

Old
01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

I don't think DW's going to do anything major - maybe a veteran defense rental for the playoffs. I don't think we'll have an unepxerienced D in the #6 position - just to much to ask of Demers/Leatch/etc - need a cheap rental that won't cost much more than a 3/4th round pick.

No core players get moved, I doubt any non core players get moved, same for prospects. I think the fun will happen in the off season depending on the
how the team and players do in the playoffs.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:17 AM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

my prediction: NOTHING HAPPENS

Old
01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

I want to see us move Clowe and maybe someone else for a legit top-4 dman. I don't expect anything to happen though.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:48 AM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Just curious... during the EDM game I was impressed with Steve Staois' play and had the thought that he would be the perfect guy to fill out our defense.
Would EDM be willing to part with their captain?
What would it take?

Old
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Pinkfloyd

The Sharks should trade for one of Joe Corvo, Kim Johnsson, or Marek Zidlicky. They likely won't trade anyone off the roster except maybe someone like Shelley if they need to move salary back. It'll likely involve a 1st rounder and a prospect.

They don't need to do much up front unless they get a serious injury. However, what they got on the back end is not good enough to win in the playoffs. Hell, if they go with that blue line and face the Wings, they won't make it out of the first round.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
Just curious... during the EDM game I was impressed with Steve Staois' play and had the thought that he would be the perfect guy to fill out our defense.
Would EDM be willing to part with their captain?
What would it take?
Staios isn't their captain and they would be happy to be rid of him as he is one of the many salaries they would want to move.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Hmmmm... wonder why I thought that...

Old
01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
Hmmmm... wonder why I thought that...
Their real captain is very forgettable. Nobody wants Ethan Moreau either. lol

Old
01-18-2010, 01:38 AM
StalockSuperfan

TSN said Souray would wave his NTC and may be traded, and they listed SJ as a possible destination. We could also use one more grinder to take Shelley's spot in the playoffs.

Bottom 6:
XXX - Malhotra - Mitchell
McGinn - Nichol - Ortmeyer

Old
01-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
TSN said Souray would wave his NTC and may be traded, and they listed SJ as a possible destination. We could also use one more grinder to take Shelley's spot in the playoffs.

Bottom 6:
So the question is ...

IF he were to be traded to the Sharks, what goes back the other way, and who's spot does he take on the backend/who does he pair with?

Old
01-18-2010, 02:02 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post

Bottom 6:
Show me any math that says Souray can be afforded under the cap.

Remember, not just this year, but next year. It's not realistically possible. Do the math.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Rickety Cricket

I'd stay away from Souray, he's got an expensive contract and a cheaper player can fill their needs.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:03 AM
rideaucrusher21

I'm thinking SOMETHING is gonna happen. DWil wouldn't be doing all this worcester shuttle business if he didn't have his heart set on making a deadline deal. A top 4 D or even a bottom 6 grinder i think is whats coming the sharks way.

Not saying I want this, but because of his recent play and his salary, I can see mitchell being moved at the deadline. It'd be a shame to trade him, but he really duplicates what malhotra already brings to the table

Old
01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Show me any math that says Souray can be afforded under the cap.

Remember, not just this year, but next year. It's not realistically possible. Do the math.
Yikes dude. I'm just trying to pass on information. That's what TSN said in an article: Souray would be willing to wave his NTC and SJ may be a good fit for him. I'm not advocating. Just telling you all what I read.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:15 AM
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
my prediction: NOTHING HAPPENS
DW likes to do something at the deadline. He said so in an interview with Drew several games ago. This year with the number of moves in the offseason, its hard to see him doing anything substantial; certainly not on the forward side of the docket. That said, if there is a stay at home physical defenseman that will make us better now and later, and we can fit him under the cap .... maybe. But I agree. This is the team.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Kitten Mittons

What's with the Souray obsession? Word 'defense' is not in his vocabulary.

Old
01-18-2010, 05:31 AM
matt trick

Thornton 7.2
Heatley 7.5
Boyle 6.67
Marleau 6
Pavelski 3.5
Setoguchi 3
Vlasic 3.1
Souray 5.4
Murray 2.5

total 44.87

Good luck with getting 13 players (including 2 goalies and a top 6 forward) for 12 million. I also assumed Clowe and Huskins were moved and that Setoguchi and Pavelski got a total of 6.5 (which is IMO reasonable assuming a short term for Seto).

Speaking of Setoguchi, Doug has a serious decision to make, does he overpay for a long term deal (i.e. 6 years 4.25 like Erikson, Booth, and Michalek)? Or does he pay him for what he has done offering a 3 year deal for something like 3.5 million. This will mean that Seto will be a UFA quickly and that by the time his next contract comes around he is going to be a much better player, likely capable of asking for 5-6.5 (I'd expect him to be a 35-30 guy with grit in 4 years, Thornton or not). The best option may be a one or two year deal for 2.75-3 million (Plekanec). It gives San Jose an additional 1.5+ in cap space, and lets Seto prove himself. Of course, there is no protection from the offer sheet threat as he is not arbitration eligible.

Regarding the trade deadline, I would certainly be up for moving our 1st+ (depending on who it is) for Burns, Ballard, Coburn, or White (that I'd want straight up unless they were buying out Huskins for us). The previous two would of course cost considerably more than just a 1st.

Old
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
sjsharks9

What about Jordan Leopold, he's an UFA, and if I'm doing the math right he should be on the books for about 360k from the trade deadline. He shouldnt cost too much to acquire maybe a 2nd or a decent prospect. We should have the available cap space to absorb his contract at that point as well, without having to make room.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:27 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Sens fan, coming in peace. If I were a Sharks fan, I'd love to have Souray on my team for a Cup run. He does have a substantial salary, but what do Sharks fans think about something based around Souray for Clowe and Torrey Mitchell? That could address a need for both teams, and salary could be added to even things out, as I think a bit more salary would have to go to Edmonton for Souray to fit in SJ's cap. Then SJ could fill any holes in their roster with callups or players on ELCs.

What do you think?

Old
01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Sens fan, coming in peace. If I were a Sharks fan, I'd love to have Souray on my team for a Cup run. He does have a substantial salary, but what do Sharks fans think about something based around Souray for Clowe and Torrey Mitchell? That could address a need for both teams, and salary could be added to even things out, as I think a bit more salary would have to go to Edmonton for Souray to fit in SJ's cap. Then SJ could fill any holes in their roster with callups or players on ELCs.

What do you think?
*sigh*

I hope this one dies, unlike the Heatley to SJ rumors the math simply doesn't work, so this really needs to die.

Without trading Marleau, Boyle, Thornton, Heatley, or Nabakov the Shark's do not even have the ability to make space (realistically).

Even if you trade Clowe and Mitchell (5m) you still have to refill both those spots, even at league minimum that puts us 1.4m over the cap.

Clowe + Huskins doesn't work either. The only one I can come up with that works is Clowe + Murray (6.1m) and I think besides the fact we'd take a large step back defensively DW loves Murray and won't trade him.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
*sigh*

I hope this one dies, unlike the Heatley to SJ rumors the math simply doesn't work, so this really needs to die.

Without trading Marleau, Boyle, Thornton, Heatley, or Nabakov the Shark's do not even have the ability to make space (realistically).

Even if you trade Clowe and Mitchell (5m) you still have to refill both those spots, even at league minimum that puts us 1.4m over the cap.

Clowe + Huskins doesn't work either. The only one I can come up with that works is Clowe + Murray (6.1m) and I think besides the fact we'd take a large step back defensively DW loves Murray and won't trade him.
Okay, you need to calm down. First, this is NOTHING like the Heatley trade... the Sens are not involved, so I have no personal interest in an Edm-SJ trade. I'm simply trying to discuss hockey traded, which, last time I checked, is what these forums are all about...

Second, you apparently didn't read my post. I DID say that salary may need to be added. I don't intimately know EDM's cap situation, or SJ's, though I'm fairly certain they have very little cap room, hence salaries would have to even out or have more going out of SJ for a trade to work.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
sjshrky27

I dont see DW giving up on Mitchell yet...

Heard a rumor about Shaone Morrisonn from our friend at hockeybuzz. As much as I discredit his website, I'd thought I would pass along the info...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Vinny/1/25583

I think this season DW stays quiet, unless someone offers him something too good to pass up. I dont see him looking unless someone gets hurt...

Old
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post

What do you think?
I really don't think Souray is that great and even if salary is heading back they would need to fill another roster spot cheaply for another few years. I just don't think it's worth it. If he was a rental, maybe.

Closed Thread