HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Trade Deadline Deals & General pre-deadline trade/speculation talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 11:13 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I think this season DW stays quiet, unless someone offers him something too good to pass up. I dont see him looking unless someone gets hurt...
I concur...

Old
01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
How is your PP this year? (good, I'd imagine). I would think Souray still has his bomb from the point, and he certainly is the physical type of defenceman that I've read Sharks fans posting that they need. I'm sure he'd waive his NTC to go there, as if I'm not mistaken, his wife is from California.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Okay, you need to calm down. First, this is NOTHING like the Heatley trade... the Sens are not involved, so I have no personal interest in an Edm-SJ trade. I'm simply trying to discuss hockey traded, which, last time I checked, is what these forums are all about...

Second, you apparently didn't read my post. I DID say that salary may need to be added. I don't intimately know EDM's cap situation, or SJ's, though I'm fairly certain they have very little cap room, hence salaries would have to even out or have more going out of SJ for a trade to work.
Calm down?

I believe any post starting with *sigh* is inherently calm.

You of course didn't read MY post either. I made it pretty clear that there is no way to 'even out salary', that was the point. We have no players that are expendable and make enough money (without creating bigger holes) to afford Souray.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
How is your PP this year? (good, I'd imagine). I would think Souray still has his bomb from the point, and he certainly is the physical type of defenceman that I've read Sharks fans posting that they need. I'm sure he'd waive his NTC to go there, as if I'm not mistaken, his wife is from California.
We don't need a physical defensemen, we have Murray and Blake and that's plenty. We need a shutdown defensemen, which Souray absolutely is not.

Our PP is ranked 9th I think. Somewhere around there. Could be better. I don't think Souray fixes that, our troubles are up front (too much standing around).

Old
01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
It's up and down. Souray still does have his bomb but he is also injury prone and signed to an expensive contract that has another 2 years, for those reasons I don't want the Sharks to go after Souray.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We don't need a physical defensemen, we have Murray and Blake and that's plenty. We need a shutdown defensemen, which Souray absolutely is not.

Our PP is ranked 9th I think. Somewhere around there. Could be better. I don't think Souray fixes that, our troubles are up front (too much standing around).
My mistake, I thought any interest the Sharks had in Volchenkov was more due to his physicality and shot blocking than his ability to neutralize the opponent's top forwards.

As for the 'standing around' problem on your PP, I can fix that... Just take Heatley off the PP. But then he'll demand a trade. LOL

As far as a shutdown D is concerned, would the Sharks have any interest in Chris Phillips? I don't want to lose him, he's a former 1st overall pick by the Sens and has been a Senator his whole career, and we would like him to mentor the great young D-men we have coming up (particularly Cowen and to a lesser extent Wiercioch). But at the same time, if we could get something good for him, we may have to look at it. It would be a bit more restrictive, as Phillips makes 3.5 this year and next as opposed to Volch who is at 2.5 then UFA July 1, but it may be workable. And you get the security of him not being a rental. What do you all think?

Old
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
My mistake, I thought any interest the Sharks had in Volchenkov was more due to his physicality and shot blocking than his ability to neutralize the opponent's top forwards.

As for the 'standing around' problem on your PP, I can fix that... Just take Heatley off the PP. But then he'll demand a trade. LOL

As far as a shutdown D is concerned, would the Sharks have any interest in Chris Phillips? I don't want to lose him, he's a former 1st overall pick by the Sens and has been a Senator his whole career, and we would like him to mentor the great young D-men we have coming up (particularly Cowen and to a lesser extent Wiercioch). But at the same time, if we could get something good for him, we may have to look at it. It would be a bit more restrictive, as Phillips makes 3.5 this year and next as opposed to Volch who is at 2.5 then UFA July 1, but it may be workable. And you get the security of him not being a rental. What do you all think?
I'd rather the Sharks get a cheap rental.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

I think 3.5 is just about the max we could afford by trading Clowe and dumping Huskins. Gives us just enough enough space to fill the Clowe hole and afford whoever.

That said, I doubt it happens. The D is starting to play a bit better and I think DW lets it play out. I think barring a major resurgence by Blake or some serious improvement in Huskins/Demers that will be a mistake. I don't see this D, as it stands currently, winning a cup.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
matt trick

I have to admit, I think Volchenkov compliments Vlasic perfectly, and if I were convinced he would sign for 4.5 million or less, I'd be willing to move Clowe+ for him. But I would not be surprised to see some stupid gm throw 5.5 million at him. I think he is worth about 4, but the extra 500k is worthwhile because would make Marc-Eduoard much more valuable.

I think it is probably a mute point however, as I expect Ottawa to lock him up.

Phillips doesn't do much for me. He is a shutdown guy, but I want a d-man that can handle the Iginlas, Nashs, and Getzlafs (no one can really handle him, but you all know what I mean). A physical player in the Mitchell, Regher, or Volchenkov mold is exactly what we need. Unfortunately those types are never available.

Guys who could grow into that role include Gleason (already there), Ballard (already there, offensive too), Burns (more offensive, less defensive, but he's huge), and Coburn (really rough year, Philly must cut cap room). I don't think any of them would come available, but if they were, I'd hope Doug would be all over it.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
renodave

The 2 guys I think that should be on DW's radar are Ian White and Karlis Skrastins. Both of these guys could be had for something like a 2nd round pick and/or a low-level prospect.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
The 2 guys I think that should be on DW's radar are Ian White and Karlis Skrastins. Both of these guys could be had for something like a 2nd round pick and/or a low-level prospect.
I agree.

White is perfect because we can afford his salary. We also have a better chance of resigning him in the off-season than we would Volchenkov (though that is conjecture).

Obviously White isn't the difference maker Volchenkov would be, but I see it as highly more likely (if a move is made).

Old
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I have to admit, I think Volchenkov compliments Vlasic perfectly, and if I were convinced he would sign for 4.5 million or less, I'd be willing to move Clowe+ for him. But I would not be surprised to see some stupid gm throw 5.5 million at him. I think he is worth about 4, but the extra 500k is worthwhile because would make Marc-Eduoard much more valuable.

I think it is probably a mute point however, as I expect Ottawa to lock him up.

Phillips doesn't do much for me. He is a shutdown guy, but I want a d-man that can handle the Iginlas, Nashs, and Getzlafs (no one can really handle him, but you all know what I mean). A physical player in the Mitchell, Regher, or Volchenkov mold is exactly what we need. Unfortunately those types are never available.

Guys who could grow into that role include Gleason (already there), Ballard (already there, offensive too), Burns (more offensive, less defensive, but he's huge), and Coburn (really rough year, Philly must cut cap room). I don't think any of them would come available, but if they were, I'd hope Doug would be all over it.
Considering the rarity as you mentioned of guys in Volchenkov's mould, if he were to agree to a contract extension prior to a trade (doesnt really happen, I know) of say 2 or 3 years at 4.5 mill per, what would you be willing to offer for him, as he would no longer be a rental?

Old
01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
TheSandman

The Sharks should not trade Clowe unless they're getting almost an overpayment in return. Without Clowe, we don't have a single physical presence on the top-6. That's not what I want going into the playoffs. Even though he has been up and down this year, I think dealing him would be a big mistake.

I know I'm going to be driven out of town with pitchforks for saying this (again), but if the Sharks are going to deal any roster player it should be Setoguchi. I don't particularly want to move Seto, as young goalscorers don't grow on trees, but considering that our bottom-6 won't return much, we can't subtract from the D, trading Nabby or Greiss is out of the question and of our top-6 we're not moving Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, or Pavelski....and Clowe is the only physical forward up there, that leaves Setoguchi.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Considering the rarity as you mentioned of guys in Volchenkov's mould, if he were to agree to a contract extension prior to a trade (doesnt really happen, I know) of say 2 or 3 years at 4.5 mill per, what would you be willing to offer for him, as he would no longer be a rental?
Purely theoretical...

1st, any prospect not named Couture or Stalock

Roster player wise:

Clowe + 2nd

Vlasic straight up maybe (this is about as unlikely as re-sign and trade)

Something along those lines, options are still fairly limited until the off-season.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Purely theoretical...

Roster player wise:

Clowe + 2nd

Something along those lines, options are still fairly limited until the off-season.
Is that a 1st and a prospect, or an and/or? i.e. Are you saying :

1st
prospect (not Couture or Stalock)
Clowe
2nd

Or are you saying :

1st

OR

Clowe
2nd

?

Old
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
matt trick

It is really difficult to consider who should be available because we don't know the cap ramifications of players yet. If Marleau is demanding 9 million, than he shouldn't be kept. If Setoguchi can be kept on a short term deal of 2 years 2.25 million similar to the deal Pavelski signed, that makes him extra valuable and he should not be traded under any circumstance. But assuming Clowe and Setoguchi have similar cap hits, I keep Setoguchi and his speed over Clowe and his grit. In any event, I think we need both, but believe a #4 d-man is an even bigger need. Thats why I love White, we could give up futures to get him, as his cap hit is so cheap, and he is an RFA so there is no fear of him walking (only via offer sheet which means pick compensation) but there is no guarantee Burkie wants to move him.

In my opinion, Burke should be looking to move White because Beauchmein and Komarisek probably aren't going anywhere, and he will not trade Schenn. The Kessel move makes no sense if he was moving Kaberle. Likely the ideal trade would be a three way deal:

To Toronto: top 6 forward
To San Jose: White
To 3rd team: 1st round pick

By the way, I know we are down on Petrecki right now, but I would include him in the Stalock and Couture group of untouchable prospects. I don't want to move yet another 1st, but White is young and no rental.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Purely theoretical...

yup, except I'd include Nick Petrecki

Roster player wise:

Clowe + 2nd

That is probably fair

Hell no. I think those two are far to perfect a pair to split up and it puts in the same position of needing a top 4 d-man.

I'd love a defense of Boyle-Murray, Vlasic-Volchenkov, Blake-Demers. Those seem to be three pairings that would compliment each other very well.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:51 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Deal Brodie Brazil to a desk and bring back Kate.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:55 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Is that a 1st and a prospect, or an and/or? i.e. Are you saying :

1st
Clowe
2nd

Or are you saying :

1st

OR

Clowe
2nd

?
I was saying either a pick and Prospect (if that's what sens are looking for) or if they want roster players Clowe + 2nd, etc.

Keep in mind, I was only talking fundamentals of the deal. I'd imagine there would be some lower picks thrown in on the picks deal or a lower level prospect along with a top prospect, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
It is really difficult to consider who should be available because we don't know the cap ramifications of players yet. If Marleau is demanding 9 million, than he shouldn't be kept. If Setoguchi can be kept on a short term deal of 2 years 2.25 million similar to the deal Pavelski signed, that makes him extra valuable and he should not be traded under any circumstance. But assuming Clowe and Setoguchi have similar cap hits, I keep Setoguchi and his speed over Clowe and his grit. In any event, I think we need both, but believe a #4 d-man is an even bigger need. Thats why I love White, we could give up futures to get him, as his cap hit is so cheap, and he is an RFA so there is no fear of him walking (only via offer sheet which means pick compensation) but there is no guarantee Burkie wants to move him.

In my opinion, Burke should be looking to move White because Beauchmein and Komarisek probably aren't going anywhere, and he will not trade Schenn. The Kessel move makes no sense if he was moving Kaberle. Likely the ideal trade would be a three way deal:

To Toronto: top 6 forward
To San Jose: White
To 3rd team: 1st round pick

By the way, I know we are down on Petrecki right now, but I would include him in the Stalock and Couture group of untouchable prospects. I don't want to move yet another 1st, but White is young and no rental.
Ya I debated about that. The fact is Volchenkov plays a similar game to what we hope Patrecki will. If the deal was a re-signed Volchenkov for a 1st and Patrecki you wouldn't do it? I would. A 1st and Couture? No. A 1st and Stalock? No.

That was my logic.

It's purely hypothetical anyway, it is incredibly unlikely.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
sjsharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Deal Brodie Brazil to a desk and bring back Kate.
Please if there's anyway to make this happen it would make the team so much better. She brings out the best in Seto.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie

That doesn't look right. We need to get this guy back in teal at the deadline.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:29 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post

That doesn't look right. We need to get this guy back in teal at the deadline.
In all fairness, that jersey doesn't look right on anybody....except maybe a Christmas tree

Old
01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
SharksAddict

I think Clowe will be traded for a d-man. With how poorly the 2nd line has played, he hasn't exactly played inspiring hockey. Malhotra appears capable of filling in on the 2nd line. McGinn probably could as well.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Once again... The problem really isn't the defense! The problem is that we don't get nearly enough secondary scoring. Shut down Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and you beat the Sharks. Period.

Old
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Once again... The problem really isn't the defense! The problem is that we don't get nearly enough secondary scoring. Shut down Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and you beat the Sharks. Period.
That is how it looks now, but usually, Pavelski, Clowe, and Setoguchi provide enough secondary scoring. Malhotra, Mitchell, and Mcginn are also good for a goal here and there.

Closed Thread