HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Trade Deadline Deals & General pre-deadline trade/speculation talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
19sharks19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
They needs that "savings of Blake" to pay for Seto and company.
If we don't succeed in the playoffs this season, at least top 4, then we have other savings for those guys; via a huge paycut for Naby and a possible moving of Clowe. Pav's will be signed to decent dollars but, don't bet on Seto signing for big dollars. If he has a solid second half of the season, the first half will definately STILL have an effect on his demands/payout. But, even if we do have a succesful playoff run, you can bet that Naby and Clowe will most likely be two possible points of a savings next season, along with the money from Blake.

Old
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Players that DW should inquire about:
Ian White
Paul Ranger (would likely mean Huskins going the other way since the salaries are almost equal)
Ladislav Smid (unlikely...but we can dream can't we? )
Jordan Leopold
Dennis Seidenberg (I wish they signed an FA contract last summer though...)
Marc-André Bergeron (also wish that he signed in off-season last year...)

Sharks that I don't mind seeing them leave:
Rob Blake (let's face it...he's in the twilight in his career...I just wish Ehrhoff stayed and we'd have let Blake go instead of re-signing him)
Kent Huskins (enuff said...)
Ryane Clowe (would trade him to chop salary as well as getting a young speedy player in return [IMO speed with Pavs and Setoguchi would be brutal to play against])

Old
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Did DW make any deadline deals last season? I can't recall - is this cause there weren't any??

Old
01-18-2010, 05:09 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Did DW make any deadline deals last season? I can't recall - is this cause there weren't any??
Huskins and Moen?

Old
01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Brought in Huskins and Travis Moen.

Old
01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
I barely remember him trading for Moen and Huskins from the Ducks for picks and low-level prospects

Old
01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
TheBrokenRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I barely remember him trading for Moen and Huskins from the Ducks for picks and low-level prospects
Traded Bonino and Pielmier(spelling probably way off).

Old
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Neither were "low-level" prospects. Bonino was our last top-6 potential forward other than Couture or McGinn (and currently in his 3rd year at BU and again on pace for more than a point-per-game). Pielmeier was arguably better than Sexsmith, and probably would have slotted in behind Stalock (and maybe Sateri) in our goalie depth chart. And of course, there was the 4th round pick.

The Ducks got a great deal for 2 guys there weren't likely to bring back. DW vastly overpaid.

Old
01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Neither were "low-level" prospects. Bonino was our last top-6 potential forward other than Couture or McGinn (and currently in his 3rd year at BU and again on pace for more than a point-per-game). Pielmeier was arguably better than Sexsmith, and probably would have slotted in behind Stalock (and maybe Sateri) in our goalie depth chart. And of course, there was the 4th round pick.

The Ducks got a great deal for 2 guys there weren't likely to bring back. DW vastly overpaid.
I guess that'll teach me to rank prospects based on their last names

Old
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Thants right! THanks for remembering for me.

I look for more of the same this deadline resulting in a D.

Old
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Given the history of our General Manager, team needs that actually can be addressed via trade, and what assets we have, this really isn't that hard to figure out.

The Sharks are going to need another defenseman capable of playing 20 minutes plus a night. We don't need a shutdown defenseman because we have Vlasic and to a lesser degree Murray. We don't need offensive defensemen when Boyle and theoretically Blake is there. We don't need physical defensemen because of Blake and Murray. There really isn't a need on the blue line in terms of a type. They just need a top four guy. They just need someone who can log the minutes needed to help out everywhere else. The blue line they have right now would be exposed in the playoffs if they don't add one more reliable defenseman that can play top four minutes.

Secondary scoring, specifically the 2nd line, is not something that will be addressed via trade. As much as I'd like to move Clowe for White, that won't happen until the off-season, if at all. They're not going to move Pavs or Seto either because no trade will make sense at this point. A change in the lineup is going to be how that is addressed.

The team's not going to get a long term answer on the blue line at the deadline. It's better to accept that and pay accordingly and address it at the draft. I see guys like Corvo, Johnsson, and Zidlicky being available as a rental and making sense for this team. There might be others that become available as time progresses but guys like Leopold don't make sense yet because the Panthers are only 4 points out of the playoffs. Teams that close don't become sellers except in rare cases.

Old
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
I would like to see Couburn or J Johnson, both have been struggling so their values are slightly diminished, but I could see either florish out here I like Couburn a bit better,something like Joslin/Ferrerio(more likely),Mitchell and a 2nd

Old
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I would like to see Couburn or J Johnson, both have been struggling so their values are slightly diminished, but I could see either florish out here I like Couburn a bit better,something like Joslin,Ferrerio more likely Mitchell for cap reason but his value is probably less and a 2nd
Fans may speculate about moving those guys but GM's won't deal young NHL defensemen unless they're getting a superstar in return.

Old
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Kitten Mittons

Couburn has been terrible this season anyways. He will be no help in the playoffs.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I want someone like McKee who is a big time shot blocker ... maybe even Seindeberg.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I want someone like McKee who is a big time shot blocker ... maybe even Seindeberg.
I'd take shot blocker, very good on the first outlet pass/on the transition, does not give the puck away/little to no turnovers/better than mid level NHL defender in 1on1 sitautions, team first player.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Clowe is not moving. He is too unique and valuable. Two words: Board. Work.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Clowe is not moving. He is too unique and valuable. Two words: Board. Work.
He's not the only one good on the boards. He's not at all unique the way he generally plays. He is unique when he is crashing the net rather than turning the puck over at the opposing blue line.

I would be disappointed in the direction of this team if they let Rob Blake retire and Clowe isn't the one dealt to address what will then be a huge hole on our blue line.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Talking about this year, I think seto is more expendable than clowe as a player. We have snipers, we don't have big bodies who protect the puck on the boards, which clowe does. Maintaining zone time is something that goes unnoticed a lot, and often leads to goals. The problem is trading seto this season does nothing for cap space. So I don't think anything major will happen this deadline, unless it's someone besides clowe or seto moving.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Fans may speculate about moving those guys but GM's won't deal young NHL defensemen unless they're getting a superstar in return.
Define "young" ...

Old
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Talking about this year, I think seto is more expendable than clowe as a player. We have snipers, we don't have big bodies who protect the puck on the boards, which clowe does. Maintaining zone time is something that goes unnoticed a lot, and often leads to goals. The problem is trading seto this season does nothing for cap space. So I don't think anything major will happen this deadline, unless it's someone besides clowe or seto moving.
If Marleau walks, this team will have Heatley as a sniper and that's it. Making Setoguchi expendable while Marleau's future is in doubt would be quite foolish.

Maintaining zone definitely is important but the top line doesn't have much of a problem doing that and recently that has been the 2nd line's problem. Both Pavelski and Clowe are good along the boards in general and neither have done well lately. That and the turnovers by pretty much everyone on that line and the defensemen have been why they've struggled to sustain any pressure. I don't expect that struggle to continue for much longer though.

The Sharks actually don't need to move salary to pick up a defensemen by that stage. Depending on the accuracy of capgeek.com to date and what happens between now and March 1st, at that point, they could add around 2.9 mil in salary for the rest of the season. Joe Corvo would be affordable with that much space. Someone like Zidlicky would be affordable if they moved Jody Shelley out. Someone like Kim Johnsson would be affordable if they moved Huskins and Shelley out.

By the time the deadline hits, moving Setoguchi wouldn't provide a whole hell of a lot of extra space to acquire someone. He'd only provide slightly more than Jody Shelley. I don't see Clowe getting dealt at the deadline either but I wouldn't dismiss a move due to their current cap constraints because by the deadline they won't need that much.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Define "young" ...
Jack Johnson and Braydon Coburn are young, which is what the poster I was replying to was referring to.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Staios is a better choice.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Jack Johnson and Braydon Coburn are young, which is what the poster I was replying to was referring to.
Well, regardless, I disagree. I think GMs have done so plenty of times.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Well, regardless, I disagree. I think GMs have done so plenty of times.
Yeah...for superstars.

Closed Thread