HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Trade Deadline Deals & General pre-deadline trade/speculation talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
allworldcaucasn*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If Marleau walks, this team will have Heatley as a sniper and that's it. Making Setoguchi expendable while Marleau's future is in doubt would be quite foolish.

Maintaining zone definitely is important but the top line doesn't have much of a problem doing that and recently that has been the 2nd line's problem. Both Pavelski and Clowe are good along the boards in general and neither have done well lately. That and the turnovers by pretty much everyone on that line and the defensemen have been why they've struggled to sustain any pressure. I don't expect that struggle to continue for much longer though.

The Sharks actually don't need to move salary to pick up a defensemen by that stage. Depending on the accuracy of capgeek.com to date and what happens between now and March 1st, at that point, they could add around 2.9 mil in salary for the rest of the season. Joe Corvo would be affordable with that much space. Someone like Zidlicky would be affordable if they moved Jody Shelley out. Someone like Kim Johnsson would be affordable if they moved Huskins and Shelley out.

By the time the deadline hits, moving Setoguchi wouldn't provide a whole hell of a lot of extra space to acquire someone. He'd only provide slightly more than Jody Shelley. I don't see Clowe getting dealt at the deadline either but I wouldn't dismiss a move due to their current cap constraints because by the deadline they won't need that much.
agreed pretty much. I think the idea is to re sign marleau honestly. In that case seto may be expendable. aren't we a few hundred thou from the cap? Agreed there's only one thing we could really use and that's a top 4 d. Not at the expense of clowe though. IMO clowe could even fill a role as an elite 3rd liner like he did last game.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Winky

Quote:
Yeah...for superstars.
Well, I'm sure it does happen without superstars involved. But I can't think of any right now, and I'm too tired/lazy to even attempt to look it up.

So you win ... for now.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
agreed pretty much. I think the idea is to re sign marleau honestly. In that case seto may be expendable. aren't we a few hundred thou from the cap? Agreed there's only one thing we could really use and that's a top 4 d. Not at the expense of clowe though. IMO clowe could even fill a role as an elite 3rd liner like he did last game.
Yeah, Setoguchi could be made expendable if Marleau is re-signed. I could see them making that choice over moving Ryane Clowe. I wouldn't personally but I can see it happening. It's really tough to get an accurate gauge of the Sharks cap situation. If you assume that capgeek is accurate, they have about 630k in cap space now. It's a given that they're not totally accurate but it's close.

In the off-season, it will likely come down to Setoguchi or Clowe getting dealt for a long term solution on the blue line. They're going to need a #3 or #4 a lot more than they're going to need a 2nd liner or an elite 3rd liner, however you want to view either player.

Old
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Well, I'm sure it does happen without superstars involved. But I can't think of any right now, and I'm too tired/lazy to even attempt to look it up.

So you win ... for now.

VICTORY IS MINE!

Old
01-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Nabby

Does anybody know what Dion Phaneuf's salary is? I keep on hearing Flames fans wanting him to be traded, and I really like the idea of him with the sharks. Obviously, you have to give to get, but his value is unusually lower this season it seems. Dion could really help bring the extra push come playoff time, and could probably put us over the top. The only thing I don't like is his 6.5M salary

Old
01-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Kitten Mittons

Phaneuf sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
Does anybody know what Dion Phaneuf's salary is?
. . .
The only thing I don't like is his 6.5M salary
Looks like you answered your own question.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Nabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Phaneuf sucks.

Looks like you answered your own question.
oops, seems like I did haha.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Hollywood

Can I ask why you would even entertain trading clowe? he is one of the premier power forwards in the league. He probably is the toughest player on your team. He has hands that some dream of... He isn't fast but his hockey sense makes up for a lot of that.
He can play PP and is force on the forecheck. he is at around 3.5.... are you guys for real?

Old
01-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Kitten Mittons

The problem is that he is NOT playing like a powerforward. If he was, we'd have no problem with him.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:57 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Nabby get back in the net.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:03 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 155
only things I see the Sharks doing this trade deadline is maybe go after a 4th-5th Defenseman and a veteran Backup Goalie

Old
01-19-2010, 03:17 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
only things I see the Sharks doing this trade deadline is maybe go after a 4th-5th Defenseman and a veteran Backup Goalie
Roloson.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Secondary scoring, specifically the 2nd line, is not something that will be addressed via trade. As much as I'd like to move Clowe for White, that won't happen until the off-season, if at all. They're not going to move Pavs or Seto either because no trade will make sense at this point.
Agree. I can see D.W. making a pitch for White this summer as, he'd be a great replacment for the likes of Blake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I would like to see Couburn or J Johnson, both have been struggling so their values are slightly diminished, but I could see either florish out here I like Couburn a bit better,something like Joslin/Ferrerio(more likely),Mitchell and a 2nd
If not a pitch for White, Coburn would be a super alternative. Remember, he is not the problem in Philly. It's the team in total, all the internal fighting / battles going on, e.g., Pronger vs Richards, Carter and the coaching, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Staios is a better choice.
True but, even still and again, White or Coburn would be even better and longer term choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
Does anybody know what Dion Phaneuf's salary is? I keep on hearing Flames fans wanting him to be traded, and I really like the idea of him with the sharks. Obviously, you have to give to get, but his value is unusually lower this season it seems. Dion could really help bring the extra push come playoff time, and could probably put us over the top. The only thing I don't like is his 6.5M salary
From what the media is saying out here, it seems "if" a move is done, he will move to the East. Possible of a 3 way though, finding him somewhere in California. The Waters show had some talk on him yesterday and they were discussing him with L.A. All talk though.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Roloson.
Rolo is interesting, he's got another year on his contract that's cheap and if
Nabber is not back next season he could contend for starter / back up next season.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Can I ask why you would even entertain trading clowe? he is one of the premier power forwards in the league. He probably is the toughest player on your team. He has hands that some dream of... He isn't fast but his hockey sense makes up for a lot of that.
He can play PP and is force on the forecheck. he is at around 3.5.... are you guys for real?
The league has a serious dearth of power forwards if Clowe is one of the premier ones. People wish/hope he'll be a premier one, but as of now, he is still closer to being tehsuck than he is to be awesome.

I find Seto to be far less expendable, because I think our top-6 is already slow, other than marleau. If Seto is gone, our 2nd line has zero speed, it's like a line of all fat guys in NES Hockey (maybe a medium guy). Hopefully the last two games have shown that having some more speed on that line (ie. Manny) makes it much much better than have Ryane.

This thread is frustrating as hell, as half the people hear sound like they're describing Ehrhoff when they say what we need (especially PF's post about wanting a versatile all-around defenseman who can log 20+ minutes). God damn it DW, God damn it.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

The Wild put Sykora on Waivers today - any interest??

Not to me unless there is a deal that moves out 2nd or 3rd line forward and we need a back fill winger.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post

Not to me unless there is a deal that moves out 2nd or 3rd line forward and we need a back fill winger.
Doesn't he have some concussion issues/problems this season? If so then no way. Just lost dollars.

Was Leach brought in for some size at the back as, I don't think i've seen him hit anybody as of yet. How many would agree that they'd like to at least see Demers or Moore back there. Anybody in the west hear anything at all as to why Moore hasn't gotten the chance yet or if he will some time soon? It has been a revolving door so far this season.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Doesn't he have some concussion issues/problems this season? If so then no way. Just lost dollars.

Was Leach brought in for some size at the back as, I don't think i've seen him hit anybody as of yet. How many would agree that they'd like to at least see Demers or Moore back there. Anybody in the west hear anything at all as to why Moore hasn't gotten the chance yet or if he will some time soon? It has been a revolving door so far this season.
I believe Leach was brought in because he costs less than any other player in the NHL. I would venture to guess Moore will not be called up because his cap hit is ~ 1 mil (maybe more even), which we just don't have the space for.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post

I thought he was returning/near return - sure, he'd have to have medical clearance to play. As he's on waivers he'd be at 50% of his cap hit to us so cheaper that list price (samd deal as Leach i think). I think the issue with Sykora is he's a winger and we really don't need one for the playoff run, probally not!

Old
01-19-2010, 05:38 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
I thought he was returning/near return - sure, he'd have to have medical clearance to play. As he's on waivers he'd be at 50% of his cap hit to us so cheaper that list price (samd deal as Leach i think). I think the issue with Sykora is he's a winger and we really don't need one for the playoff run, probally not!
I thought that the 50% deal was only on recall waivers, not being sent down. But I might be wrong.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I thought that the 50% deal was only on recall waivers, not being sent down. But I might be wrong.
He may clear and come back!

Old
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Naki

What about Clowe for Regehr?

The are fairly close in salary. If Clowe stays on the 3rd line he is an over paid 3rd liner. Regehr can eat 20 minutes a night and is a quality D-man, although I havent seen him play as much this year so I dont know if he has had a massive drop off.

Old
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:

NO WAY.

He would not help at all.

Old
01-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
Clowe for Regehr?
dreaming is awesome!!! yet with the flames current struggles it could happen... nahhhhh

Old
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
dreaming is awesome!!! yet with the flames current struggles it could happen... nahhhhh
2 years ago Phaneuf was an untouchable player on Calgary and now he is rumored to be on his way out via trade.

Anything is possible. Depending on who you ask Clowe is either crap or one of the top power forwards in the league. You never know how Clowe is valued.
But you are probably right that it is an unrealistic trade.

Closed Thread