HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Captain Cormier (Suspended for the remainder of the season.)

Old
01-17-2010, 11:17 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Captain Cormier (Suspended for the remainder of the season.)

Captain Cormier
From the main prospects board...

"Tonight, in the game between the Quebec Remparts and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, I saw one of the dirtiest cheapshot I've ever seen. Patrice Cormier elbowed Quebec's best defenseman, Mikael Tam, in the face while he wasn't looking. Tam hit the ice face first and lost a lot of blood. He convulsed for at least 2 minutes. They feared for a traumatic brain injury but reports say it's a severe concussion."

Here it is :

Edit: From Ryan(Mod) post as per someone from the Remparts organization: "He's feeling well given the circumstances. He has a traumatic brain injury, he almost died tonight. Several scans were made to make sure he didn't have anything major to his brain. Good news is that he's got no oedema (accumulation of water in his brain). The shock was so big that the diagnostic places him between a severe concussion and a brain death. He'll stay under observation at the Rouyn Noranda hospital for 48 hours. He has no fractures but his mouth is not looking good and he lost some teeths. He has to pass some other tests tomorrow, for his pelvis and his back.

Mikael is conscious. He spoke with his family. He's in good hands at the hospital. Continue to pray for him, he needs it."

Quebec's atheltic therapist said he feared he would lose him when Tam stopped breathing for 30 seconds after he got him out of the ice.

The hit disgusts me, this guy should be suspended for a long time. And this a ****** bag was our Team Canada's Captain???? Embarrassing!

Disclaimer: Video is not easy to watch so if you are upset easily, don't watch.

Last edited by TowMater14: 01-25-2010 at 12:16 PM.
TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Ghostbuster

vCash: 500
That was ****ing dirty. Guy needs to be taught a lesson.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
hibbleton

A severe concussion is a traumatic brain injury if you ask me. That's a pretty vicious elbow.

hibbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
OilerNut*

I posted this in the out of town thread in regards to the video, but will post it here too.

Plays like that I wish they could be charged criminally, which is something I don't usually agree with. When you come off the bench and aim for the guys head like that for one sole purpose, how is that not assult? Just lucky he didn't kill the guy.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Garbage. I hope he never plays again. Anywhere. But sadly he probably will and make lots of money doing it.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I posted this in the out of town thread in regards to the video, but will post it here too.

Plays like that I wish they could be charged criminally, which is something I don't usually agree with. When you come off the bench and aim for the guys head like that for one sole purpose, how is that not assult? Just lucky he didn't kill the guy.
Ramparts are apparently taking legal action.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Ramparts are apparently taking legal action.
Although the hit was absolutely disgusting and Comier should get a lengthy suspension, as I hockey fan, I hope that nothing happens legally from this. Precedent would be set, and a lot of hitting would be gone from the game.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Other Little Mikey

Well, he made similar hits with less serious consequences and wasn't punished, so ... yeah, it's not that surprising that he'd do it again.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Although the hit was absolutely disgusting and Comier should get a lengthy suspension, as I hockey fan I hope that nothing happens legally from this. Precedent would be set, and a lot of hitting would be gone from the game.
I draw the line when the sole purpose is to severely injure with an illegal hit coming straight from the bench to do it too.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I draw the line when the sole purpose is to severely injure with an illegal hit.
Yes, but think about it for a second. Every single hit with devastating effects would be legally reviewed. The Booth hit this year, the Torres hit a few years ago in the playoffs, the Mitchell hit, etc.

It would effectively end hitting. These kinds of things must be taken care of within their respective leagues.

I hate the elbow just as much as you do, but this needs to stay within the QMJHL. I don't think this would even get anywhere in the legal system anyways.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:36 PM
ChaoticOrange

the difference with this hit is you see him get off the bench and beeline for Tam. He knew exactly what he was going to do the second he got off the bench.
I am absolutely embarrassed that he represented our country.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Hunt4Oil

The guy is a disgrace, how was he a Captain for our Country???? He better be gone for the year and I'd say more if they really want to make an example. Get this sh** out of hockey already. This guy needs to be taught a big lesson before bringing this BS to the NHL....just another cheap shot Downey type player....garbage.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
RKD

Someone from the Remparts organization gave this latest update on Tam's condition:

Quote:
He's feeling well given the circumstances. He has a traumatic brain injury, he almost died tonight. Several scans were made to make sure he didn't have anything major to his brain. Good news is that he's got no oedema (accumulation of water in his brain). The shock was so big that the diagnostic places him between a severe concussion and a brain death. He'll stay under observation at the Rouyn Noranda hospital for 48 hours. He has no fractures but his mouth is not looking good and he lost some teeths. He has to pass some other tests tomorrow, for his pelvis and his back.

Mikael is conscious. He spoke with his family. He's in good hands at the hospital. Continue to pray for him, he needs it.

Quebec's atheltic therapist said he feared he would lose him when Tam stopped breathing for 30 seconds after he got him out of the ice.

01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Krut

Comier should go for the season at least.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Yes, but think about it for a second. Every single hit with devastating effects would be legally reviewed. The Booth hit this year, the Torres hit a few years ago in the playoffs, the Mitchell hit, etc.

It would effectively end hitting. These kinds of things must be taken care of within their respective leagues.

I hate the elbow just as much as you do, but this needs to stay within the QMJHL. I don't think this would even get anywhere in the legal system anyways.
No. This has nothing to do with hitting. It wasnt a hit at all. It was an elbow to the head of a player that wasnt looking by a guy that intended to injure. Its about the intent. The Bertuzzi incident certainly didnt stop fighting, so why would this stop hitting?

Old
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Someone from the Remparts organization gave this latest update on Tam's condition:
That is horrible. There is a huge difference between a borderline hit that end up severly injuring a player and a malicious act such as this one that almost kills someone. Cormier needs to never see the NHL.

Old
01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
nullterm

Just wait till this tool gets to the NHL. He'll be doing the same crap on the big stage under a bigger spotlight and making millions doing it.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
rprice92

this was worse than the liambis hit

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Simply put, disgraceful. I'm almost compelled to say Canada deserved to lose at the WJC solely because this embarrassment of a human being was given the "C".

That is disgusting and infuriating to watch, hurts the heart.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Giant Moo

My thoughts are with Tam right now. I hope he has a full recovery.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:56 PM
OilerNut*

I don't understand how a guy can do **** like that and be able to sleep at night?

Old
01-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I hate the Huskies, and I really do hope someone goes after Cormier. He needs a good **** kicking.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Beerfish

Amazing that 7 inches of arm is the difference between a good tough hockey player and a horrible vicious player. Elbow to head vs shoulder. Scott Stevens whom I consider the cheapest dirtiest player I've seen is lauded by everyone and yet he constantly went head hunting after vulernable players, especially those that have had concusions on the past. There should be no hits to the head under any circumstance any place any time not with an elbow, not with a shoulder, not with a stick , not with a forearm.

I'm convinced this bull****e won't stop until someone dies.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:09 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Amazing that 7 inches of arm is the difference between a good tough hockey player and a horrible vicious player. Elbow to head vs shoulder. Scott Stevens whom I consider the cheapest dirtiest player I've seen is lauded by everyone and yet he constantly went head hunting after vulernable players, especially those that have had concusions on the past. There should be no hits to the head under any circumstance any place any time not with an elbow, not with a shoulder, not with a stick , not with a forearm.

I'm convinced this bull****e won't stop until someone dies.
Dont know how you compare Scott Stevens to what happened tonight, but I sort of understand where you are coming from. Cormier is an aficionado of the elbow, and he just goons guys, away from the play, not looking, doesnt matter. Stevens usually nailed guys that had the puck at least and never with the elbow. He just hit guys, really, really hard, and he targeted guys who had their heads down.

I think if you want to eliminate head shots, then open ice hits will start to disappear over time, much like hooking and holding have. Not saying it is wrong to want to get rid of head shots but there would be changes to the game.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
That was ****ing dirty. Guy needs to be taught a lesson.
Unfortunately that's probably what it took for him to learn. If he doesn't smarten up after that than there isn't anything that will get him to clean up his act.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote