HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How about this for our netminding problems???

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 12:38 AM
TheFranchise83

vCash: 500
How about this for our netminding problems???

Everyone knows Patrick Lalime didn't bring his A game in game 7. It is also fair to say he didn't bring his A game all season. Bob Mackenzie on his new column on tsn.ca (sorry I can't provide a link my computer is screwed up and for some reason I can't click on links or make them) suggests that Lalime will not be back as the #1 goaltender for the Senators next year.

I can honestly say that I'm not very confident in Conklin and Markkaneen getting this team far, maybe 1st round and that's it. I was wondering about your guys thoughts on trying to pick up Lalime. I have no idea what the price would be but I'd be very comfortable giving up Philly's 1st for him and something else if that's not enough. I think Lalime is a good goalie, he just had a bad year. If Bob Macenzie is right about Lalime's future with the Sens then I say go for him. What do you guys think about this. He'll be 30 in July, so he's not washed up yet but he's no spring chicken either. Thoughts???

Old
04-21-2004, 12:52 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafo_01
Everyone knows Patrick Lalime didn't bring his A game in game 7. It is also fair to say he didn't bring his A game all season. Bob Mackenzie on his new column on tsn.ca (sorry I can't provide a link my computer is screwed up and for some reason I can't click on links or make them) suggests that Lalime will not be back as the #1 goaltender for the Senators next year.

I can honestly say that I'm not very confident in Conklin and Markkaneen getting this team far, maybe 1st round and that's it. I was wondering about your guys thoughts on trying to pick up Lalime. I have no idea what the price would be but I'd be very comfortable giving up Philly's 1st for him and something else if that's not enough. I think Lalime is a good goalie, he just had a bad year. If Bob Macenzie is right about Lalime's future with the Sens then I say go for him. What do you guys think about this. He'll be 30 in July, so he's not washed up yet but he's no spring chicken either. Thoughts???
If he can't win with the Senators, how are the Oilers supposed to win with him. I'd be happier to go with a Markannen/Conklin combo. Goalies can only establish themselves if they are given the chance. And so far those 2 have been exceptional, why not let them have a chance to take the reigns.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

He's had his chance to prove himself, and he hasn't proven that he can step up to win the big game. It'd be like having Salo in his first few seasons with the Oilers all over again. Winning and making big saves in the regular season, but unable to steal a series for his team.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Cerebral

Maybe I'm weird but I'd be willing to move Philly's first for him if we could lock him up to a long term deal. I still think he is a great goaltender and I'd love to have him on the Oilers..

Old
04-21-2004, 03:16 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

You wouldn't have to move anything. He's an unrestricted free agent, and I doubt there will be much demand for him.

However, Kevin Lowe should avoid him like the plague.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
You wouldn't have to move anything. He's an unrestricted free agent, and I doubt there will be much demand for him.

However, Kevin Lowe should avoid him like the plague.
Do you honestly think he's that bad? I think he's a pretty good goaltender.. I'd be willing to pay $2.5-3.0 million/year at ease if we could get him to start 60 games per year.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Lalome is a RFA,a group II Free agent, 29 years old, DOB: July 7th, 1974.
2 years away from UFA

going price for goalie is a 2nd round pick, i wouldn't be happy if Lowe did trade Philly's pick to Ottawa for Lalime

here a list of group III free agent goalies

Byron Dafoe, Felix Potvin. Arturs Irbe, Tommy Salo, Fred Brathwaite, Ron Tugnutt, Steve Shields, Corey Schwab, Garth Snow, Jamie McLennan, Sean Burke, Chris Osgood, Nikolai Khabibulin, Ed Belfour, Johan Hedberg.

my favorite would be Burke but he's getting up there in age and i could see Clarke re-signing him for that very same fact.

I would rather go with Conks/Jussi then sign a UFA or trade for a goalie

Last edited by Vyse64: 04-21-2004 at 04:49 AM.
Old
04-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83

here a list of group III free agent goalies

Byron Dafoe, Felix Potvin. Arturs Irbe, Tommy Salo, Fred Brathwaite, Ron Tugnutt, Steve Shields, Corey Schwab, Garth Snow, Jamie McLennan, Sean Burke, Chris Osgood, Nikolai Khabibulin, Ed Belfour, Johan Hedberg.
Imagine Belfour as the Oilers goalie...

Old
04-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Imagine Belfour as the Oilers goalie...
Keep dreaming.

Eddie's back won't allow him to keep this up forever.

As for Lalime, he certainly is NOT the plague. I think he could be an affordable asset for the Oil to pick up.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Mr Sakich

if Lowe was to pick up Lalime, Matts would have a raison d' etre for the next year or two. Just for the entertainment value around here, Lowe should do it.

Old
04-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Bohologo

Lalime has just established that he can't steal a series, let alone a game. The Oilers need a younger CuJo, someone who can do what Luongo did in Florida this year. Think young, think cheap, think Kiprusoff just before he got traded to Calgary.

Old
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Lalime has just established that he can't steal a series, let alone a game. The Oilers need a younger CuJo, someone who can do what Luongo did in Florida this year. Think young, think cheap, think Kiprusoff just before he got traded to Calgary.
Indeed.

Think Ari Ahonen. Think Ilja Bryzgalov. Think Mika Noronen. Think Sebastian Caron.

Those are the kinds of guys I wouldn't mind Lowe nabbing. I think consensus here is that both Conks and Markkanen are solid stop gaps, both 1A guys. I would love to see KLowe get an younger goalie buried somewhere else with something to prove and run with them.

Ahonen or Bryzgalov would be huge IMO.

My 2 cents...

Old
04-21-2004, 11:25 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Let's just see how Conks and Markkanen does next season before counting them out. If one or both of them struggle by X'mas, then we should start looking at other options.

Who knows, maybe one of them will become next year's Kiprusoff...

Old
04-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Indeed.

Think Ari Ahonen. Think Ilja Bryzgalov. Think Mika Noronen. Think Sebastian Caron.

Those are the kinds of guys I wouldn't mind Lowe nabbing. I think consensus here is that both Conks and Markkanen are solid stop gaps, both 1A guys. I would love to see KLowe get an younger goalie buried somewhere else with something to prove and run with them.

My 2 cents...
How about Mathieu Garon? I think he could be a great starter in the NHL...

Old
04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
How about Mathieu Garon? I think he could be a great starter in the NHL...
That's the guy I would target. I have a feeling he will be the next Kiprusoff.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I, too, am a big fan of Garon. It's hard to believe that every team in the leage could have had him for nothing (well, $50k) when he was on waivers in 2002.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
There's just as likely a chance that Garon, if given 60 games, would fail, much the same way that Johan Hedberg, Felix Potvin, Byron Dafoe, Steve Shields, Brian Boucher, Jeff Hackett, Jamie McLennan, Fred Braithwaite, Brent Johnson all promising backups/1a starters were given an opportunity but didn't pan out. Garth Snow, Chris Osgood, Sean Burke, Roman Cechmanek are all more experienced goalies who may be available for the right price. But I'm not sure they're worth it.

Last edited by Master Lok: 04-21-2004 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added some more backups...
Old
04-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Master Lok

Actually if I WAS feeling nervous about the Conkkanen tandem, the goalies I might be interested in targeting would be Vesa Toskala or Manny Fernandez. They're more proven, but costlier to trade for.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Actually if I WAS feeling nervous about the Conkkanen tandem, the goalies I might be interested in targeting would be Vesa Toskala or Manny Fernandez. They're more proven, but costlier to trade for.
You've got to hand it to San Jose; they've managed to get all of Kiprusoff, Toskala, and Nabokov. If they had played their cards right with Calgary they could have come out of that trade with something more to show for than a second round pick.

That said, I think we should let the Conks/Mark duo play it out for the first few weeks to see if they can handle the load and the pressure. If the team is obviously in need of goaltending help come that time, then I think we should look at a trade (or signing).

Old
04-21-2004, 02:34 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

NJ needs to do something with Ahonen this summer same as the Oilers need to with Rita, Maybe a swap there can be arranged... Also one of Norronen, Biron or Miller will be avail from Buffalo.

Garon could be pryed from Montreal but it wouldn't be cheap. Given the INSANE amount of goaltending talent that is avail in the NHL these days, I would looke to trade with one of the stacked teams or a team that NEEDS to move a goalie rather then break the bank on a Garon or Gerber (both of whom I really like , I just don't like the asking price)

Washington is STACKED for goalies, same with Anaheim and Bryzgalov. NJ needs to move Ahonen and Buffalo needs to move one of their guys too. I would concentrate on these guys first as they should be pretty cheap.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Indeed.

My 2 cents...
While I'd love to see Ahonen or Bryzgalov as our goaltender next season, I'm not sure that either of them are any better than Conklin or Markkanen. The same goes for Noronen, Caron etc. The problem is that the only way to nab a guy like Kiprusoff is to trade for them while they're not stellar and hope that they pan out the next season. I wouldn't mind grabbing Ahonen if the price was low..

Old
04-21-2004, 03:22 PM
DARKSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
NJ needs to do something with Ahonen this summer same as the Oilers need to with Rita, Maybe a swap there can be arranged... Also one of Norronen, Biron or Miller will be avail from Buffalo.

Garon could be pryed from Montreal but it wouldn't be cheap. Given the INSANE amount of goaltending talent that is avail in the NHL these days, I would looke to trade with one of the stacked teams or a team that NEEDS to move a goalie rather then break the bank on a Garon or Gerber (both of whom I really like , I just don't like the asking price)

Washington is STACKED for goalies, same with Anaheim and Bryzgalov. NJ needs to move Ahonen and Buffalo needs to move one of their guys too. I would concentrate on these guys first as they should be pretty cheap.
Please, no more wingers. What we need is a physical defensemen. Here's hoping Lou and Kevin work out a trade by draft day, but I doubt we'll see any movement until the CBA is settled. Would love to have Smith back with the Devs!

Old
04-21-2004, 03:25 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Please, no more wingers. What we need is a physical defensemen. Here's hoping Lou and Kevin work out a trade by draft day, but I doubt we'll see any movement until the CBA is settled. Would love to have Smith back with the Devs!
How about Smith and Horcoff for Gomez and Ahonen?

I suggested Rita as I thought you might want more offense.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:37 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
NJ needs to do something with Ahonen this summer ...

Part of me wonders if Lou is considering any major changes. If you think about it, NJ barely put up a squirm this year, they have been off and on contenders for 10 years now which may suggest their time is up and their back bone and captain may never play again (age), so is there a better time for Lou to shop Brodeur?

If NJ is on the start of their downward slide then I wouldn't be shocked. He trims a tonne of payroll for the new CBA and he could get a whole whack of young talent to jump start a rebuild for a guy like Brodeur, who can still be considered as in his prime.

Maybe he keeps Ahonen and looks to shock the hockey world by moving Marty.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:39 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Part of me wonders if Lou is considering any major changes. If you think about it, NJ barely put up a squirm this year, they have been off and on contenders for 10 years now which may suggest their time is up and their back bone and captain may never play again (age), so is there a better time for Lou to shop Brodeur?

If NJ is on the start of their downward slide then I wouldn't be shocked. He trims a tonne of payroll for the new CBA and he could get a whole whack of young talent to jump start a rebuild for a guy like Brodeur, who can still be considered as in his prime.

Maybe he keeps Ahonen and looks to shock the hockey world by moving Marty.
Two years ago the Devils were upset in the first round by the Hurricanes, last year they won the Cup.

I doubt they do anything drastic.

Closed Thread