HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Greatest heavyweight of all time?

Old
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
devsfan87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Dave Brown, meanest heavyweight ever. He flat out dominated guys with left uppercuts. Brown feared no one but was dodged by many. A champion that no one wanted to challenge.

Honorable mention to Probert and Joe Kocur. They were like the Jordan/Pippen of the NHL Tough guy scene. Those Red Wings teams were among the toughest I've ever seen.
Hmm. I was in attendance when Dave Brown got torn a new A-hole by 5'10" 180 lb George Mc Phee of the Rangers.

It's not the fight that is on youtube.
That was a mismatch. Mc Phee got jumped.
Brown also got schooled by Barry Beck. Twice.

devsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan87 View Post
Hmm. I was in attendance when Dave Brown got torn a new A-hole by 5'10" 180 lb George Mc Phee of the Rangers.

Let's call a spade a spade here...The McPhee fight wasn't a schooling in any way shape or form. Brown rocked him good. And I am a Rangers fan that despised Brownie.

The Beck fights weren;t great. More like two guys hugging the piss out of each other, but I will give you this. In that fight at least Brown looked tentative.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Dave Brown, meanest heavyweight ever. He flat out dominated guys with left uppercuts. Brown feared no one but was dodged by many. A champion that no one wanted to challenge.

Honorable mention to Probert and Joe Kocur. They were like the Jordan/Pippen of the NHL Tough guy scene. Those Red Wings teams were among the toughest I've ever seen.
I'll give you this. Definately feared, and a few of the enforcers used to talk about Brown as the champ, but then Probert ended all of the hype with an ass-whooping of epic proportions over a Prime Brownie.

The first fight was nothing. Brownie holding on, Probert trying to get free.

The second was why Bob Probert is the greatest heavyweight ever. Not only did he beat Brownie, he smacked him so hard he dropped Brown to his knees! Probert was the champ becuase if he left any doubt in the first fights he had with people, he always avenged a close fight or a loss.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 02-07-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
devsfan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Let's call a spade a spade here...The McPhee fight wasn't a schooling in any way shape or form. Brown rocked him good. And I am a Rangers fan that despised Brownie.

The Beck fights weren;t great. More like two guys hugging the piss out of each other, but I will give you this. In that fight at least Brown looked tentative.
What are we talking about here?
First I wrote that Brwon got schooled by Beck. Not Mc Phee.
Second, like i said, I was at the game when Mc Phee went to town on Brown.
"Brownie"?

devsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:37 PM
jcorb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I'll give you this. Definately feared, and a few of the enforcers used to talk about Brown as the champ, but then Probert ended all of the hype with an ass-whooping of epic proportions over a Prime Brownie.

The first fight was nothing. Brownie holding on, Probert trying to get free.

The second was why Bob Probert is the greatest heavyweight ever. Not only did he beat Brownie, he smacked him so hard he dropped Brown to his knees! Probert was the champ becuase if he left any doubt in the first fights he had with people, he always avenged a close fight or a loss.

I agree Probert was the best and did give Brownie a good ass whooping but i disagree with the Prime Brownie part. Brown was 27 which is not old but Probie was 24. Brownies prime was when he was with the Flyers.
That said i dont know how anyone can not consider Probert the best of all time. He was destroying guys in his early Detroit days.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:40 PM
jcorb58

Quote:

Beck was like Gillies in that why would anyone be foolish enough to rattle these guys cages. Both werent mean until someone pissed in there cornflakes then look out.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
What are we talking about here?
First I wrote that Brwon got schooled by Beck. Not Mc Phee.
Second, like i said, I was at the game when Mc Phee went to town on Brown.
"Brownie"?
Ok, I wish...believe me I wish that George McPhee went to town on Borwn but that just never happened. They had three altercations. The first one was unfair as Brown tried to jump McPhee. They went down fast and the refs and everyone broe it up.

The second fight was the infamous playoff fight and Brown just gave it to McPhee in this one. Credit Mcphee for even taking him on but Brown was way too much for him and Jay Caufield jumped in.

The third was another non-event. Brown once again jumping McPhee and everyone piling in. McPhee tackled Brown, but that was in no way "going to town on Brown"...Unless you consider a takedown going to town.

Old
02-09-2010, 08:27 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Fedor Emelianenko (MMA) and Rocky Marciano(Boxing).

In the NHL..Bob Probert.
Fedor is a sissy

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorb58 View Post
Beck was like Gillies in that why would anyone be foolish enough to rattle these guys cages. Both werent mean until someone pissed in there cornflakes then look out.
Cool story bro time...

(this takes place a couple of years after Beck's retirement)

A friend of mine (all 5'5" of him) was driving on the highway in West Vancouver, when another car dangerously cut him off. When he got a chance, my buddy pulled up beside the other guy and gave him the finger... realizing in that split second that it was Barry Beck in the other car and that Barry Beck was now enraged at having some guy give him the finger. What ensued was a several kilometer high speed chase that ended only when my friend ran a red light to get away from him.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
04' hockey

Behn Wilson.....he'd be reckoned with against anybody on any given night.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
arion52

John Furguson

Some of the best from years back, John Fergy Furguson, of the Montreal Canadiens. A good checking left-winger, also. Probably the premier Ice Cop of the 60's. Moose Vasko of the Chicago Blackhawks was another guy that could handle himself. Orland Kurtenbach was one of the best fighters, also Nick Fotiu, Clark Gilles and Troy Crowder, Throw in Probert and Dave Brown... Gordie Howe achieved his reputation by rearranging Rangers tough guy Lou Fontinato's face during a fight. At the time many regarded Louie as the best fighter of the 50's. This is also why Howe only had to fight a few times during his Career.

arion52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
TheStranger

Bobby Orr

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Todd the Animal Ewen is up there

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
JT91

Clark gilles

JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
CanadiensFan1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berglund1313 View Post
Bob Probert
Thats who I would go with.

CanadiensFan1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:20 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Probert
The Missing Link
Brown
Kocur
Twist

Hard to argue with any of those choices, but my homer vote for most-underrated fighter goes to Dave Richter during his North Stars/Philly days. He could feed lefts to anyone..including Probert and Kocur...when he was pi$$ed.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Axxellien

Best Fighter NHL:

Fern Flaman, Boston Bruins Hard Rock Defenseman, was the Baddest, most feared gunslinger in the late 1950s, Fontinato the most flamboyant, {the Howe incident was ugly!}..Mean Ted Green..Ferguson, Kurtenbach, Bob Baun in the early 1960s... Detroit's Howie Young was more insane than an adroit fighter...Eddie Shack,,,

Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
djn1029

1. bob probert -- fought way more then dave brown and didn't jump guy's in order to get the first punch in .. also could take a good punch..anybody who i saw beat probert the first time ALWAYS got a beaten the next fight !!

2. jay miller -- one of the smartest fighters i've seen.. made up for his lack of size !!

3. dave brown -- while he didnt fight too often and i thought he too often liked to throw the first punch before the other guy had his gloves off , when he had that left going you were in trouble ..i've seen a couple of players say every punch he threw hurt !!

djn1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
djn1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
Dave Brown is the unanimous heavyweight champ of all time.

Hocckeyfights.com has been over it a hundred times.
probert dropped brown with like 7 straight to brown's jaw in the joe louis arena !!!

Old
02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
djn1029

Quote:

i'm not aware of another mcphee-brown fight but mcphee had alot of guts and was a good fighter who didnt hold or bear hug, he went toe to toe with anybody, i loved him !! i used to tape all the games and make my own fight tapes and i do have larry melnyk on the rangers clearly beating brown at the garden and brown tied him up to stop it .. wether or not he knew melnyk was a lefty i dont know but melnyk won that fight !!

Old
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Blizzard

I'll take "Jethro". Just ask Ed Hospodar. Seen Gillies beat many of the all time heavyweights including Schultz and O'Reilly on the Isles rise to a dynasty. Plus the guy had several 30+ goal seasons. One of the only true heavyweights that could actually play the game.

Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
djn1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I'll take "Jethro". Just ask Ed Hospodar. Seen Gillies beat many of the all time heavyweights including Schultz and O'Reilly on the Isles rise to a dynasty. Plus the guy had several 30+ goal seasons. One of the only true heavyweights that could actually play the game.
gillies made his name with the beatens he gave schultz and hospodar..add that to his his intimidating presence i think most people give him too much credit, and he didnt fight that often to put in as one of the top guys .. i know behn wilson dropped him .. i think his teammate, bobby nystrom was a better fighter, maybe not as dangerous but a better at fighting if ya know what i mean

Old
02-22-2010, 07:26 PM
hockeymaneeak*

Mike Liambas

hockeymaneeak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Jusek19

Link Gaetz is one badass. Crazy guy. Like it.

Jusek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
jkrx

<-----------!!

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote