HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF the Blues are in the playoffs....

Old
01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
IF the Blues are in the playoffs....

Would you, if you were the GM, deal PK at the deadline? There are a couple of big pros for doing this, IMO.

1. There will only be one elite scorers moved at the deadline outside of Kovy, so he should have some decent value.

2. The number of teams in the West in playoff contention should limit the number of UFAs moved. (Increasing the value of the UFAs). The east is different, but still outside of Toronto....

The reason I ask, is that he doesn't add much to Backes/Oshie line - and McDonald could fill that role. Plus, I may well be in the minority here, but I liked Winchester playing w/ Perron and Berglund better then I do McDonald - just do to physical play.

Put King or Janssen on the 4th line w/ Walt and Crombeen.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
General Veers

If I was GM and the Blues were in contention with PK contributing to the teams success, then no. If he's doing just enough to look like he's trying out there (which I see sometimes) then yes.
I think he gets so much respect because of his veteran status that he would never get traded in what could be the final year of his career from a team that is currently contending.
As a fan, I'm beyond ready to move on when it comes to PK, Walt, and Brewer. I mean, I like Kariya and Tkachuk, but it's time to get some veterans who are a little creaky, not ones who are ready for mothballs.
Let's hope this team can pull it together and give those guys a good run to cap off their careers.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Would you, if you were the GM, deal PK at the deadline? There are a couple of big pros for doing this, IMO.

1. There will only be one elite scorers moved at the deadline outside of Kovy, so he should have some decent value.

2. The number of teams in the West in playoff contention should limit the number of UFAs moved. (Increasing the value of the UFAs). The east is different, but still outside of Toronto....

The reason I ask, is that he doesn't add much to Backes/Oshie line - and McDonald could fill that role. Plus, I may well be in the minority here, but I liked Winchester playing w/ Perron and Berglund better then I do McDonald - just do to physical play.

Put King or Janssen on the 4th line w/ Walt and Crombeen.
I agree with trading Kariya, but I disagree with moving Winchester up.

Personally, I think Eller could come up here and he would at least match Kariya's production (0.46 ppg). IF Kariya could net you a 2nd round pick, that would be a great asset to include in any offseason trades, say for Halak, Harding, Schneider, etc.

If we are making or trying to make the playoffs in your scenario, then I think Winchester should be on the 4th line, so we can roll 4 lines and Janssen/King should sit in the press box like Janssen did in last year's run for the most part. They are not players that see the lineup in the playoffs.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Assuming the Blues are within striking distance of the playoffs and the team is committed to trying to make a run (like last year), then:

- Absolutely keep Tkachuk.

- I like the idea of trading Kariya and bringing up Eller, but that probably hurts your chances slightly. Kariya's experience should count for something....and there isn't a whole lot of playoff experience on the roster. I'd also worry about messing with team chemistry. But in the long run it would probably be better for the Blues for subsequent seasons and getting Eller the experience.

- Should the Blues be buyers? I don't really think they're quite to that point this year. Can you be BOTH? Like trade Kariya and then try to acquire someone else? I just don't see that at all. It seems schizophrenic, and not like JD at all.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

If the Blues are in playoff contention, I think the only way Kariya gets traded is if a roster player is coming back who can contribute on one of the top three lines(similar to the Tkachuk/Metropolit trade?). Preferably someone who has fallen out of favor with their current team and is UFA at the end of this season. Also while I am wishing for things we would get a draft pick(s) and/or a prospect(s) to go along with him.

Maybe something like these:

Paul Kariya for...

Pittsburg:
Ruslan Fedotenko
3rd
7th

Montreal:
Glen Metropolit
4th
7th

Philidelphia:
Aaron Asham
3rd
7th

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Paul Kariya for...

Pittsburg:
Ruslan Fedotenko
3rd
7th
I don't think Pitt will trade Fedotenko. He always seems to play better in the playoffs and that would be why they would keep him. Maybe someone like Dupuis or Rupp - but I think the like Mike's size?

Maybe they need us to send them a Goalie......

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:02 AM
EOM

Tough call. If Kariya is playing well, then obviously I'd want to keep him. But if he's playing poorly, then I'd want to trade him. But it's a bit of a catch-22. Nobody is going to want him if he's not playing well. If he is playing well, someone will want him but I wouldn't want to trade him.

Bottom line, I'd evaluate the team's position at the deadline, Kariya's performance level at that time, and the potential market.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Robb_K

I would hope to see Kariya traded and Eller brought up. But, if The Blues are solidly in the playoff race, they probably won't trade him, EVEN if he's playing poorly.

I'd like to see them get a young forward with scoring potential, who has fallen out of favour (slumping), but has good natural scoring ability.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote