HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caputi and Lovejoy Re-Assigned to WBS

Old
01-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Power2ThePenguins

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Caputi and Lovejoy Re-Assigned to WBS

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Glad they sent Luca back seeing as he wasn't playing anyway. But I guess Orpik is ready to go now?

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
AgentM

I guess that's good news in regards to Orpik like you said, but I'm sad to see Caputi go. He only scores in his first game after a call up though, so maybe they're just sending him down to call him back up

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Trying to keep the reverend hungry for more I guess. If it were me:

Orpik - Gonch
Letang - Goligoski
Eaton - McKee
Reverend

I guess from a development standpoint it makes sense to keep Skoula up but from a best D on the roster standpoint, I'm not sure it does.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Great news on their development, IMO. I'm sure management is pretty content with their development thus far. Lovejoy will pmost probably get a spot next year since we only have 2 signed DMen thus far.

As for Caputi, he shot get a shot on the bottom 2 lines next season and hopefully slowly ease his way onto the top 6.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Gooch

Knowing how Dan has been running things he probably just will throw Skoula in there instead.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Kinguin

A goalie is coming in, possibly.
Brent Johnson is on IR.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Anyone know Birons situation? hes probably the odd guy out in New York with Dipietro back.

kinda sucks for Caputi I feel like he should have gotten more ice time but at least hes not the scratch anymore.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalForOne View Post
Anyone know Birons situation? hes probably the odd guy out in New York with Dipietro back.

kinda sucks for Caputi I feel like he should have gotten more ice time but at least hes not the scratch anymore.
The Isles from now will look to trade him.
He's still in the roster, but was informed he no longer is part of their goalie rotation.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
AK

I'll be livid if no forward is coming back.

Godard has killed his team every game he's been on the ice. He's poison, and I'd rather go with seven defensemen than play him.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

I thought Lovejoy looked at least as good if not better than Skoula. He had a great first pass.

Caputi should still be here.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Jag68Sid87

I love this team, and I love Ray Shero and management, but I absolutely hate this decision. Caputi deserved more of a shot, and Lovejoy is now a full-fledged NHL defenseman.

Hate both moves.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I love this team, and I love Ray Shero and management, but I absolutely hate this decision. Caputi deserved more of a shot, and Lovejoy is now a full-fledged NHL defenseman.

Hate both moves.
Let's make some counts.
We had 14 FWs, 7 DM's and 3 G on the roster, total, 24 players.
Kunitz was on IR, Caputi and Lovejoy sent back. Now, we have 21 operational players. We can expect a goalie coming in, cause Fleury isn't OK with the finger.
So, why not keep Caputi and the Rev, as we'll be facing the Isles without Tim Jackman?

EDIT: Actually the roster page on the Pens site is misleading . They list Brooks Orpik and Brent Johnson as being on IR and recent info on the same Pens official website states Orpik could come back tomorrow and Johnson practiced today and is day-to-day. Even CBS got tripped on this.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514019

Last edited by Kinguin: 01-18-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Jag68Sid87

All I know is this...

Caputi > Fedotenko

Lovejoy > Skoula

Sometimes, the past should stay there. Thank Fedotenko for his contributions to this team, and let's move on. Thank Skoula for taking such a low cap hit to be our 7th, but he's now been supplanted.

I am a firm believer that you always keep your best players with the big club.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I'll be livid if no forward is coming back.

Godard has killed his team every game he's been on the ice. He's poison, and I'd rather go with seven defensemen than play him.
I agree. Outside of that one game where Godard was awesome, he's been really awful. The team is basically shorthanded when he's on the ice.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
All I know is this...

Caputi > Fedotenko

Lovejoy > Skoula

Sometimes, the past should stay there. Thank Fedotenko for his contributions to this team, and let's move on. Thank Skoula for taking such a low cap hit to be our 7th, but he's now been supplanted.

I am a firm believer that you always keep your best players with the big club.
Agree with everything that you said, but let me simply add to it.

I'm thinking that Shero feels that Caputi is not going to get the ice time that he's looking fo rhim to get at this stage of his development. Bylsma has his ways of doing things and who he is going to play. Feds, from everything I've heard is a balls-out hard worker in practice, so he's going to play until he's found completely incompetant.

I agree that Bazooka > Feds, but next year you'll get more of a chance to see Caputi get the time on the ice he needs at this level. It wasn't going to happen right now, so why not send him to WBS, where he'll play everyday and play a lot? this move actually makes sense for me.

The other move of sending Lovejoy down is completely stupid though. He's miles ahead of Skoula and if Brooks is still hurt and Skoula plays tonight, then I'm at a complete loss for words.

Lovejoy demotion > Caputi demotion (in terms of how much I hate the call)

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM
deakka

Do they count against the cap on a daily basis? if not i dont see any reason for this move since WBS doesnt even have a game until friday

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

they didn't get sent down for not being good enough, they got sent down because they are the only guys we CAN send down. I'd rather lovejoy play in WBS than sit in the press box when Orpik gets back. He played well, but he's our 7th best D man right above Skoula. If we have another long term injury we may very well see Lovejoy up again.

As for Feds and Caputi, I don't know that I agree. Caputi has played pretty well, and Feds isnt have a very good year, but I really don't think I would want to make that trade. At best Caputi = Feds. And I don't think he's there yet.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Do they count against the cap on a daily basis? if not i dont see any reason for this move since WBS doesnt even have a game until friday
I'm pretty sure they do.

Old
01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
deakka

Then it makes sense. The thing about the Lovejoy demotion is that he doenst only have to beat skoula to a spot, he has to beat another defenseman as well to not get stuck in the pressbox. And then hes better off playing big minutes in WBS instead. regarding Caputi i can feel that he should have gotten a bit more time to prove himself. But if DB wants to keep running Talbot-Malkin-Feds then Caputi would only rotate between the 4th line and the pressbox and then he is, just as Lovejoy, bette roff in the minors geting more playing time.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm pretty sure they do.
Is there a quick and dirty explanation of how that all works. I read all this stuff about pro-rated cap hits and all, but I seem to be missing something.

Is it anything like this:

Say the cap is $55,000,000 and a team has a payroll of only $50,000,000........you divide that $5,000,000 by the number of days in the season and then multiply that number by the number of days from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season, and that is how much you have to spend on someone at the deadline? Or is that way off? Or did that make no sense?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I think it is something along those lines, but I really don't know the details.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Then it makes sense. The thing about the Lovejoy demotion is that he doenst only have to beat skoula to a spot, he has to beat another defenseman as well to not get stuck in the pressbox. And then hes better off playing big minutes in WBS instead. regarding Caputi i can feel that he should have gotten a bit more time to prove himself. But if DB wants to keep running Talbot-Malkin-Feds then Caputi would only rotate between the 4th line and the pressbox and then he is, just as Lovejoy, bette roff in the minors geting more playing time.
I agree with this. There is no sense keeping Lovejoy up if he's going to sit in the pressbox. That doesn't mean he isn't ahead of Skoula. Afterall, Lovejoy was the one who played when Orpik went down. I'm sure this means that they probably think Orpik will be back tomorrow. If someone else gets injured I'm pretty sure that unless they don't have enough time, Lovejoy will be called up in place of Skoula. (At least I hope.)

Caputi I wish had gotten more time, but if he wasn't going to get it there's no reason to keep him with the big club.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
jdpitt05

I guess if they weren't planning to play Lovejoy ahead of McKee and Orpik is coming back it makes sense to send him down to get playing time. That said Lovejoy looked great and I wouldn't of mind seeing him play over McKee to see if he kept it up. I'm sure McKee could benefit from some time off. Skoula was a cheap band-aid, that in a perfect situation wouldn't have to play for us. I personally would have waived Skoula and let McKee and Lovejoy share time.

Caputi going down upsets me. He showed good work ethic and was pretty effective winning puck battles and getting shots off around the net. I'm afraid of this perception that Fedotenko is a playoff performer and all of a sudden will starting scoring in the playoffs. I hope we aren't keeping him based on that. He is the same as Sykora and Satan of last year. If he isn't scoring he absolutely worthless. He's on pace for 13 goals playing with Malkin. I would waive him and let Caputi and Talbot play on the 2nd line until we can add at the deadline. At least they will be effective on the forecheck, along the boards, and crashing the net.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Trying to keep the reverend hungry for more I guess. If it were me:

Orpik - Gonch
Letang - Goligoski
Eaton - McKee
Reverend

I guess from a development standpoint it makes sense to keep Skoula up but from a best D on the roster standpoint, I'm not sure it does.
I could easily see that being the situation in the playoffs... Except then you have the "Skoula's has big game experience" argument.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
I saw on the ESPN rumors page that the Pens are looking to acquire Ray Whitney . It said a trade was imminent. So I wonder if sending Caputi and Lovejoy down has to do something with this.

Oxide is offline   Reply With Quote