HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No French Connection?

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2004, 08:11 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
No French Connection?

The Nashville Predators have no French Canadian players.

Here is the breakdown of current Preds (as provided by the Preds website)

College - 5 (Murray, Johnson, Hall, Eaton, Bombardir)
WHL - 7 (Erat, Hartnell, McKenzie, Tootoo, Hamhuis, Hnidy, Mason)
OHL - 6 (Legwand, Walker, Sullivan, Stevenson, Allison, York)
QMJHL
European - 7 (Johansson, Zholtok, Arkhipov, Orszagh, Zidlicky, Timonen, Vokoun)

The Preds have had 2 French Canadian players finish in the top 15 in scoring in their 6 seasons (Bordeleau, Bouchard). Bordeleau was #4 in scoring in our inagaural season. Bouchard was #13 that season. The following season Bordeleau was #13 in scoring. After that year, no player with QMJHL experience has been in the top 15 in scoring for the Preds. That's 4 straight years without a legit French Canadian presence.

In the system, the Preds currently have two Q players Stehlik and Matt Davis. But Davis is from New Brunswick and Stehlik is Slovakian. The Ads have two players who played in the Q. One is Shishkanov who is from Russia. The other is the only player that is either a current Predator or Predator prospect/property who is from Quebec and that is Simon Gamache. And he was garnered in a trade.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Poile/Trotz/Shero and Co. don't feel that most Quebecors play our style of hockey.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 04-20-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old
04-19-2004, 10:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i don't know if he counts, but there's mathieu darche.

i think it all comes down to the old notion that french-canadian players are mostly purely offensive. trotz, i'm certain, confers with the scouts\poile\shero...and they seem to lean towards the gritty, two-way players. we like the WHL...which is famous for that style of player.

i really don't think it's by accident.

Old
04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i don't know if he counts, but there's mathieu darche.

i think it all comes down to the old notion that french-canadian players are mostly purely offensive. trotz, i'm certain, confers with the scouts\poile\shero...and they seem to lean towards the gritty, two-way players. we like the WHL...which is famous for that style of player.

i really don't think it's by accident.
Yeah, you are right about Darche. I should have said, "there's only one player who played in the Q and who's from Quebec that's on the Preds". I didn't give much mention to Darche because he's not really a prospect or someone who I consider a potential Pred and he played college hockey instead of playing in the Q.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:03 PM
SmokeyClause

Overall, we have drafted 65 players. Of those 65, 25 were drafted from Euro leagues and either remain there or went from there to NA professional hockey (i.e. not juniors), 12 came from the WHL, 10 came from the NCAA, 6 came from the OHL, and 4 came from the QMJHL. 6 player came from Europe but after being drafted went to the Canadian junior system. 1 player went from the NCAA and then went into the OHL. Another played in the OHA.

So 38.4% of players drafted by the Preds were European in origin and development. 18.5% came from the WHL. 15.4% came from the NCAA. 9.2% came from the OHL. 6.1% came from the Q. 9.2% came from Europe but moved to Canadian Juniors. And 3% are other.

Some noticeable trends...

In 98 and 99, we took 4 players from the OHL. Since then, we've only drafted 2.

In 1998, we drafted 2 from the Q. Since then, we've drafted only 2.

4 times we have selected 5 or more Europeans in a draft. Three times we have selected atleast 7.

In our first 3 years, we selected 4 players from the WHL. Since then, we have drafted 8.

In our first 3 years, we selected 7 players from the NCAA. Since then, we have selected only 3.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:03 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Marc Andre Roy or something like that is a pretty gritty player from the QMJHL he had something like 650 PIMs a couple years ago, but I concur the Preds seem to like the gritty 2-way players more then the all offensive guys

Old
04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
Marc Andre Roy or something like that is a pretty gritty player from the QMJHL he had something like 650 PIMs a couple years ago, but I concur the Preds seem to like the gritty 2-way players more then the all offensive guys
It's not that we prefer those types of players, just that we prefer to shop elsewhere for our skilled boys. Players like Shishkanov and Glazachev are all offense, but they are Russian. I think we prefer to get our skill overseas and our combo players in the W.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:15 PM
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
It's not that we prefer those types of players, just that we prefer to shop elsewhere for our skilled boys. Players like Shishkanov and Glazachev are all offense, but they are Russian. I think we prefer to get our skill overseas and our combo players in the W.
I'm glad for that, the combo guys that is. I've been very pleased with Hartnell, and I've been impressed with everything I've heard about Segal. I think we also tend to get our 2-way guys from College hockey

Old
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I'm glad for that, the combo guys that is. I've been very pleased with Hartnell, and I've been impressed with everything I've heard about Segal. I think we also tend to get our 2-way guys from College hockey
Yeah, we have a couple from the NCAA in Koalska and Hall (I'm not sure the other combo guys like Hendricks are NHL material). Almost all of our recent forwards from the W have been combo guys with potential on both sides of the blueline (Tootoo, Upshall, Hartnell, Segal, Brown).

I think it goes like this...for skill we clearly look to Russia with very little eyes on Finland or Sweden. We occasionally nab the Czech or Austrian, but mostly just Russia. For Combination forwards, we look straight to the W and to lesser extent the NCAA. For goalies, it's mostly Europe. The CHL draft picks have come from much later rounds (save from Finley) and never played a role in our future.

Defense is like a shotgun. We hit everything from the Dub (Weber, Hamhuis) to the OHL (Klein), to the Q (Stehlik), to the NCAA (Hutch, Suter) to Europe (Sulzer, Mukhachev). Atleast with goalies you can say we look to the

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 04-19-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old
04-19-2004, 11:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Yeah, we have a couple from the NCAA in Koalska and Hall (I'm not sure the other combo guys like Hendricks are NHL material). Almost all of our recent forwards from the W have been combo guys with potential on both sides of the blueline (Tootoo, Upshall, Hartnell, Segal, Brown).

I think it goes like this...for skill we clearly look to Russia with very little eyes on Finland or Sweden. We occasionally nab the Czech or Austrian, but mostly just Russia. For Combination forwards, we look straight to the W and to lesser extent the NCAA. For goalies, it's mostly Europe. The CHL draft picks have come from much later rounds (save from Finley) and never played a role in our future.

Defense is like a shotgun. We hit everything from the Dub (Weber, Hamhuis) to the OHL (Klein), to the Q (Stehlik), to the NCAA (Hutch, Suter) to Europe (Sulzer, Mukhachev). Atleast with goalies you can say we look to the
So saying what I have said and knowing that Radulov might be available around the 10-15 spot, do we move up and continue the trend. We need more scoring punch from our forwards, is he the guy we try to nab?

Old
04-19-2004, 11:32 PM
hillbilly

Quote:
So saying what I have said and knowing that Radulov might be available around the 10-15 spot, do we move up and continue the trend. We need more scoring punch from our forwards, is he the guy we try to nab?
I'm still interested in Chipchura if he's available, a skilled 2-way center with size, ME LIKE

Old
04-19-2004, 11:56 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
College - 5 (Murray, Hockey, Hall, Eaton, Bombardir)

Who's "Hockey"?

Old
04-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Chipchura would be nice. Radulov would be stupendous. I'm also hoping for a shot at Picard, and heck maybe Thelen falls to us....and if he does.....we have to take him.

The NCAA trend is surprising. I think the college ranks are turning out very good players, for those that actually stay in it. Personally, I think it would be wise to spend later round picks on NCAA players, as they tend to turn out tough and extremely mature.

Old
04-20-2004, 05:23 AM
hillbilly

I should add that we will draft our 1st round draft pick from the W again this year when we draft Chipchura I hope

Old
04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
Who's "Hockey"?
I think I meant Johnson

Old
04-20-2004, 09:46 AM
QcS

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Poile/Trotz/Shero and Co. don't feel that most Quebecors play our style of hockey

dunno if it's a coincidence, but back when he was with the Caps, Poile didn't have alot of Q players there either.

Maybe it's an area they just don't bother scouting much.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:51 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leph28
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Poile/Trotz/Shero and Co. don't feel that most Quebecors play our style of hockey

dunno if it's a coincidence, but back when he was with the Caps, Poile didn't have alot of Q players there either.

Maybe it's an area they just don't bother scouting much.
It might be. I think Poile feels like he can get more well rounded players from the Dub and then go overseas for scoring. He's hit the nail on the head with players from the Dub, but he's yet to produce a bonafide scorer. In his tenure with the Preds, he has altered his stance a few times when the results haven't been there. This might be one of them.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM
QcS

He's hit the nail on the head with players from the Dub, but he's yet to produce a bonafide scorer. In his tenure with the Preds, he has altered his stance a few times when the results haven't been there. This might be one of them.

The current Nashville team looks alot like the Caps' team in the 90's.. lots of HARD WORKERS. Poile with the caps used to love drafting in the W.

His problem when he was in Washington was getting the big scorers, but i suspect it also had to do with the owner Pollin not giving him the cash to get those big scorers.

Nashville is different in the sense that it was built from scratch so there's alot of young guys. I really like your team.

Hopefully Legwand can have his true breakthrough year next season and live up to the #2 overall billing (point wise, because i do know he's solid defensively)

Old
04-20-2004, 11:27 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
shoot...gamache beat lemeuix's playoff record in points in the Q. I know I keep saying it, but I love simon gamache. I'd hate to see us deal him or just assume since he's small that he will never been an NHL'er. didn't everyone else say st. louis, sullivan, and walker were too small at one point???

Old
04-21-2004, 04:47 AM
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
shoot...gamache beat lemeuix's playoff record in points in the Q. I know I keep saying it, but I love simon gamache. I'd hate to see us deal him or just assume since he's small that he will never been an NHL'er. didn't everyone else say st. louis, sullivan, and walker were too small at one point???
Lemieux scored 52 points in 14 playoff games in the Q, Gamache scored 57 in 21

Lemieux PPG = 3.7
Gamache PPG = 2.7

Old
04-21-2004, 06:30 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Lemieux scored 52 points in 14 playoff games in the Q, Gamache scored 57 in 21

Lemieux PPG = 3.7
Gamache PPG = 2.7
Well, even if he didn't average the same PPG, jesus he still had 2.7 PPG!!!

Old
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Well, even if he didn't average the same PPG, jesus he still had 2.7 PPG!!!
ya but HIYOO Lemieux averaged 3.7. I mean dang

Closed Thread