Draft Needs

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 04:18 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Draft Needs

Everyone talks about us being weak at right wing, and I agree with this. We also appear really weak at center. With Lundqvist's stock dropping, our top center prospect is Hagos. We need a skilled center to take Modano's top line center spot in the future.

What players in the first round are in these positions?

Old
04-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Slats432

Picking 20th overall, there are still going to be some solid players available from all accounts.

Players that are C/RW that should be gone by 20th....

Schremp
Chipchura
Stafford
Ovechkin
Radulov
Malkin
Tukonen
Olesz
Pineault

Then you consider one goalie, a few defensemen and LW will likely be gone....
Schwartz
Barker
O'Neill
Thelen
Ladd
Schultz
Green
Picard
Wolski
Bickell

Meaning that if you look at players that you may have a shot at(As far as C/RW goes)....
David Bolland
Evan McGrath
David Laliberte
Ryan Garlock
Johnannes Salomonsson
Mihail Yunkov
Roman Voloshenko
Petteri Nokelainen

As always, I don't think you look at a position and draft a player based on that. Needs change. As an example, I think a major reason that the Oilers passed on Parise was that they had Comrie and York as their top two centers and didn't want to be that small down the middle. Well things and needs change quickly, so the best player available regardless of position(Well in Dallas case, if a goalie is the BPA then I would go to my next choice) is always the best route to go.

Old
04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Starsdude

Would also consider defense a major need as Erikkson, Miettinen and Jokinin can all play center

Old
04-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Would also consider defense a major need as Erikkson, Miettinen and Jokinin can all play center
This draft is very deep for blueliners too...

Old
04-21-2004, 01:09 PM
munkeyman70

Think Garlock will fall that far? What about Lisin? I wouldnt be surprised if the Stars did something to move up in the draft this year seeing they are going to need young, cheap skill guys to fill out next years roster. Possibbly the middle to upper part of the 1st round.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Dallasman

I see us moving up from the 20th position to gain some players with skill. Myabe we trade someone like Ott or Miettien and our pick to move up?? I could be wrong...

It's gonna be an interesting off-season to say the least.

Old
04-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyman70
Think Garlock will fall that far? What about Lisin? I wouldnt be surprised if the Stars did something to move up in the draft this year seeing they are going to need young, cheap skill guys to fill out next years roster. Possibbly the middle to upper part of the 1st round.
Well looking at all the players I listed it came out to 19 selections....meaning Garlock, Bolland, Salomonsson, McGrath, a player of that fine quality will be there at 20. Personally I think it more likely for Dallas to move down than up. I think from my standpoint that only one goalie will go in the top 19. Likely to be Schwarz(And going out on a limb and calling Los Angeles to pick the goalie). I could see a team wanting to move up to take Montoya or Dubnyk.

As for Linsin, he could go top 20 but I would have him around that 20 mark as well. He is a great skater, so if he is there he would be a decent pick too, but I am beginning to wonder about those who are criticizing this draft as a weak one. Compared to last years maybe but overall as good as most. Players like Hedman, Kaspar, Meszaros, Berti, Smid, Schneider, Pohl, Sersen, haven't even been mentioned in this thread yet.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Dundalis

Wouldnt mind Meszaros as i have said before for a offensive d-man prospect. I believe it is possible that Radulov could drop to our pick. Love to move up to get Schremp but he will likely go too high for that. Also really like Thelan, and would be awesome if the Stars could move up to get him too. Also forgot Bruce Graham, hopefully he will still be round with our 2nd pick, could be similar to Daze ive heard. Apparently Smid is a top 15 prospect, most people think is the second or third best D-man in the draft.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
Wouldnt mind Meszaros as i have said before for a offensive d-man prospect. I believe it is possible that Radulov could drop to our pick. Love to move up to get Schremp but he will likely go too high for that. Also really like Thelan, and would be awesome if the Stars could move up to get him too. Also forgot Bruce Graham, hopefully he will still be round with our 2nd pick, could be similar to Daze ive heard. Apparently Smid is a top 15 prospect, most people think is the second or third best D-man in the draft.
From what I remember about Smid, Red Line Report gave him a rough ride because he took a shot on the hand in the WJC and looked like he gave it a bit of embelishment.(If memory serves me correctly Pierre Maquire from TSN also rode him pretty hard on it to, saying that one moment will hurt his draft standing.) If teams question his ability to be tough enough to handle the NHL then he will drop. As far as being a top 3 Dman in the draft, from everything I have heard, Barker, Green, O'Neill, Valabik and Thelen would all be half decent bets to go before him....meaning more of a likelyhood of him being there for the Dallas pick.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Famous Flames

I am pretty psyched about the draft because I have always thought that right around #20 was the sweet spot of the draft. It seems like a lot of prospects that turn into solid NHLers go around that position, even more than higher picks.

In terms of needs for Dallas, I would rank them like this:

1. center
2. defense
3. wing
4. goalie

Closed Thread