HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to acquire two more first rounders

Old
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
For a chance at the Stanley Cup.
Exactly. Upgrading one of their D to a player like Visnovsky could be huge, considering Visnovsky can be used in any game situation. He's also signed for a few more years, so he's not a rental, which I think fits in with Boston's window of playoff opportunity right now.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Exactly. Upgrading one of their D to a player like Visnovsky could be huge, considering Visnovsky can be used in any game situation. He's also signed for a few more years, so he's not a rental, which I think fits in with Boston's window of playoff opportunity right now.
Visnovsky for Wideman+Colborn+Boston 1st?

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Yes but adding Seguin, Hall, or Fowler at entry level contracts will give them a chance to be good for a very long time. I have no doubt that they'd be willing to deal their own first pick, but giving up a chance at the number one overall pick just wouldn't be very smart, no matter what their cup prospects are for this season.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Visnovsky for Wideman+Colborn+Boston 1st?
Asking for too much. Jeebus, Wideman was a better Dman than Lubo last season and is younger.

As I stated in another trade, I just want a pick in the Nino Neiderreiter range and I'll be happy.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Why not 5? How about 10? If we got 10 first rounders this year it would be pretty hard to fail a few years down the line.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Why not 5? How about 10? If we got 10 first rounders this year it would be pretty hard to fail a few years down the line.
hey doesnt hurt to be greedy I think we should be thankful for the pick that we are getting and shouldnt start expecting more.. only leads to disappointments..

we'll have plenty of young first rounders in a couple of yrs.. Smid, Brule, Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Pajaarvi, Cogliano <i think>, Hall\Seguin\Fowler, Grebeshkov <?> etc etc..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Asking for too much. Jeebus, Wideman was a better Dman than Lubo last season and is younger.

As I stated in another trade, I just want a pick in the Nino Neiderreiter range and I'll be happy.
speed up the rebuild and trade our 2011 1st for Nino?

Old
01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Vishnovsky + Cogliano
for
Tor 1st + Wideman + Ryder

??

So they get a young guy who has the ability to get better, a Studly D-man and dump two bad contracts and Toronto's 1st.

We get 2 bad contracts and a Top-5 pick(probably top-3). So 2 of Hall/Seguin/Fowler.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
speed up the rebuild and trade our 2011 1st for Nino?
Hmm. Tempting. But it's a leaf like gamble at this stage. I'm thinking more of a Souray/Lubo to land us a likely latter half first pick, then combine that with a player or other pick to move up at the draft.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:53 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I'm liking the idea of pursuing Toronto's first from Boston a lot. The question is, what do we have that Boston would want, and would be willing to give up that 1st rounder? I'm not sure we have the chips.
Nothing, absolutely nothing.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Cap hit is way too high.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Cap hit is way too high.
agree that BOS would want someone who'll put them over the top and make them the team to beat.. Visnovsky is good but not that good.. BOS would be stupid to trade away a possible franchise player for anything short of a Kovalchuk'ish player.
<Unless TOR goes on a roll and gets into pick 5-8 range by trade deadline..>

Old
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
CanmoreMike

Boston may trade the first but it may come in the form of deal similar to the one the Lightning and Sharks pounded out in 1998.

The Lightning wanted to increase their strangle hold on getting Lecavalier and the Sharks wanted to make the playoffs. A trade was made where Marchment and some other spare parts went to the Sharks for a guarantee to get the highest pick. Boston may consider such a deal for a decent player thereby increasing our chances at the first or second pick. But we'd just be flipping. So if we finished with the fifth pick and Boston got the first, they'd still pick fifth.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
Boston may trade the first but it may come in the form of deal similar to the one the Lightning and Sharks pounded out in 1998.

The Lightning wanted to increase their strangle hold on getting Lecavalier and the Sharks wanted to make the playoffs. A trade was made where Marchment and some other spare parts went to the Sharks for a guarantee to get the highest pick. Boston may consider such a deal for a decent player thereby increasing our chances at the first or second pick. But we'd just be flipping. So if we finished with the fifth pick and Boston got the first, they'd still pick fifth.
mehh no need for a deal like that... we have full faith in our ability to out suck anyone!!

Old
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
oil country 83

we need to get a pick in the 10-15 range! That might get us a shot at nino,pysyk or macfarland.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil country 83 View Post
we need to get a pick in the 10-15 range! That might get us a shot at nino,pysyk or macfarland.
BOS's 1st should be our target.. we are only being wishfully greedy if we are thinking about landing the TOR 1st. BOS's 1st or CGY's 1st should be the easiest to get since they are owned by teams with 2 1st round picks..

Old
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Cap hit is way too high.
Not if we're taking some salary back, like Morris.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Cap hit is way too high.
Quote:
Not if we're taking some salary back, like Morris.
also Fowler will be making ~3M-3.5M after all his bonuses next season.. for 2M more BOS would be getting a Visnovksy in almost his prime

Old
01-19-2010, 09:10 AM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
also Fowler will be making ~3M-3.5M after all his bonuses next season.. for 2M more BOS would be getting a Visnovksy in almost his prime
Don't discount the Slovak connection between him and Chara. If they play well in Vancouver and Chara makes a call to his GM to get his fellow countryman there may be a deal.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil country 83 View Post
The chances of us landing one of these picks is pretty slim, IMO. The teams that might be buying what we are selling are playoff teams. More than likely, we're looking at a 16-25th pick.

But who knows, maybe a bubble team tries to make the playoffs and then fails and we land a 13-16 (like the NYIs almost did when we traded Smyth). The chances of us landing a top 8 pick to land Nino would require that we give up a significant player (Penner or Visnovsky). I'm not sure losing either would be worth it.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
i put out the nash and plante triple draft a few years ago and point out that with three first rounders doesnt mean a lot to the oilers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I can see Boston dealing their 1st, not Toronto's. Another team to target is Phoenix. IIRC, they hold 2- firsts and already have some young players to build around. That city needs some playoffs to build some fanfare.

If we can pry a 1st from Boston and a 1st from Phoenix, we'd have 2- 1sts likely in the 10-20 slots. Say we end up with the 2nd, 12th and 15th overall picks, come draft day we can try moving up a few spots by adding some later picks or middling prospects.

Leaving the draft with Seguin, Pysyk and Nino Nintendorider, I'd be very happy.

Yes you are 100% right. People still think they would risk Toronto's for the cup this year, but forget they have there own.

As for the thread itself, we probably could acquire some late rounders just not sure if that should be our target or maybe prospects that are closer to playing. Might be time to consider moving one of our own prospects in hopes of getting something that we need for the future. Move one of our smaller prospects for a bigger prospect.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
i put out the nash and plante triple draft a few years ago and point out that with three first rounders doesnt mean a lot to the oilers
Seriously, read an OP before you start introducing things that you think are novel ideas. Like I said, the Oilers clearly went with at least one, and really, two projects in that draft because I am pretty sure they knew that Nash was intent on Cornell. Obviously it is not possible to predict exactly how a player's development will occur, but it is possible to generally avoid players you know to be projects. That's what management needs to do.

If we had taken the BPA Cherepanov over Plante we would have been in a great situation but for his death (RIP), and although Nash might fill his draft position nicely, there were 'safer' picks even at time, not in hindsight (Max Pac, PK Subban - not sure why the latter fell so far given his pre-draft boxcars).

By safe picks I am talking about those who have clear skill AND actually have numbers to back them up over a significant period of games - this is of course tempered with leagues like SEL and KHL.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
GorillazXL

If the Oilers were to somehow manage to snag a mid range draft pick I would be ecstatic. With our first I would look at Seguin and the mid range pick I would want a player like Neidereiter.

Penner - Seguin - Hemsky (Skilled 1a)
MPS - Gagner - Eberle (Skilled 1b)
Pouliot/ Potulny - Horcoff - Brule (Checking with some scoring)
Stortini - Nash - Neidereiter (Grind line with some scoring)

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL View Post
If the Oilers were to somehow manage to snag a mid range draft pick I would be ecstatic. With our first I would look at Seguin and the mid range pick I would want a player like Neidereiter.

Penner - Seguin - Hemsky (Skilled 1a)
MPS - Gagner - Eberle (Skilled 1b)
Pouliot/ Potulny - Horcoff - Brule (Checking with some scoring)
Stortini - Nash - Neidereiter (Grind line with some scoring)

GXL
i actually don't cringe when i see these lines

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote